New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Film Is Not Dead Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              651      
       653              1185       1186       end

Post your recent film shots!

Kenj8246
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.652 #1 · p.652 #1 · Post your recent film shots!

dswiger wrote:
Thanks Jon,

It just reminds us that a camera is just a light-tight box with film on one end & maybe a lens on the other

I was going to do test shots for light-tite check but ended up just doing bright light in the dark.

Since I was headed to Yosemite, this was an excellent field test opportunity.
Though it currently is a 1 lens solution w/90mm, have already thought of a way to make it a 2 lens kit with a different length body piece.
Still very light by comparison to the Toyo.
Since going the "weight weenie" route, looking for a reasonably
...Show more

That's a mighty fine shot, Dan. Especially considering it's HANDHELD large format. Is that from Glacier Point? I hope the skies in October will be that cooperative. I'm starting to lay in my film and such even though it's still a few months off.

Kenny

Jun 06, 2017 at 07:55 AM
Kenj8246
• • • • • •
p.652 #2 · p.652 #2 · Post your recent film shots!

dswiger wrote:
Jon,

I started with this from Ebay, I ordered it w/o the pinhole stuff & viewfinder.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-Point-Shoot-4x5-Large-Format-Camera-with-Pinhole-lens-shutter-/192125956583?hash=item2cbb9971e7

I had a 90mm from my Toyo
I also had a helicoid for about 7mm of focus trim that had the right lens board
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Helicoid-Focusing-Lens-Board-00-0-1-For-Linhof-Wista-Shen-Hao-Or-DIY-Camera-/281092057033?hash=item41726467c9

Since the body size was for a 60mm lens, I had to add a spacer about 10-12mm to get it right for the 90mm

Now here's the sketchy part for some.

While the seller showed different item prices, he didn't set up the listing to buy to those choices.
So when he agreed to sell just the parts I wanted, he asked me to pay the
...Show more

Hey, Dan, if you're able to meet up in October, I'll most definitely be interested in checking out this rig of yours. Seeing that pic you posted almost tempts me to pack the Crown Graphic along.

Kenny

Jun 06, 2017 at 08:02 AM
Jon Buffington
• • •
p.652 #3 · p.652 #3 · Post your recent film shots!

dswiger wrote:
Jon,

I started with this from Ebay, I ordered it w/o the pinhole stuff & viewfinder.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-Point-Shoot-4x5-Large-Format-Camera-with-Pinhole-lens-shutter-/192125956583?hash=item2cbb9971e7

I had a 90mm from my Toyo
I also had a helicoid for about 7mm of focus trim that had the right lens board
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Helicoid-Focusing-Lens-Board-00-0-1-For-Linhof-Wista-Shen-Hao-Or-DIY-Camera-/281092057033?hash=item41726467c9

Since the body size was for a 60mm lens, I had to add a spacer about 10-12mm to get it right for the 90mm

Now here's the sketchy part for some.

While the seller showed different item prices, he didn't set up the listing to buy to those choices.
So when he agreed to sell just the parts I wanted, he asked me to pay the
...Show more

Thank you for the detailed response. I am intrigued

Jun 06, 2017 at 08:54 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.652 #4 · p.652 #4 · Post your recent film shots!

Minolta XK, Rokkor 35-70 3.5, Portra 400

D750 scan w/ 60mm 2.8D

Jun 06, 2017 at 10:40 PM
Jon Buffington
• • •
p.652 #5 · p.652 #5 · Post your recent film shots!

Huss, how do you like that 35-70 rokkor?

Jun 07, 2017 at 09:29 AM
Jon Buffington
• • •
p.652 #6 · p.652 #6 · Post your recent film shots!

Stone House, McKitrick Canyon, Guadalupe Mtns NP.

Canon 7ne, 28-70 kit lens, pro image 100, unicolor c41 kit, pakon scan.

and some portra 160

Jun 07, 2017 at 09:33 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.652 #7 · p.652 #7 · Post your recent film shots!

Jon Buffington wrote:
Huss, how do you like that 35-70 rokkor?

Hey Jon. It is a shockingly good lens. For very little money.
Even though I have an MD 58 1.2 , the 35-70 is attached to my XK about 95% of the time.
I have the version before they added the macro functionality. The one to avoid, apparently , is the first version.

Jun 07, 2017 at 10:11 AM
Jon Buffington
• • •
p.652 #8 · p.652 #8 · Post your recent film shots!

Some more, along a hike in Guadalupe Mtns NP. McKitrick Canyon Trail. Canon 7ne, 28-70 kit lens, portra 160

pro image 100

Edited on Jun 07, 2017 at 10:26 AM · View previous versions

Jun 07, 2017 at 10:18 AM
Jon Buffington
• • •
p.652 #9 · p.652 #9 · Post your recent film shots!

Desmolicious wrote:
Hey Jon. It is a shockingly good lens. For very little money.
Even though I have an MD 58 1.2 , the 35-70 is attached to my XK about 95% of the time.
I have the version before they added the macro functionality. The one to avoid, apparently , is the first version.

I have the AF version that is attached to my maxxum 7k (it is f4) but rarely use that camera. I like my xd-11, 101 and 102's much better. I may have to pick one of these up.

Jun 07, 2017 at 10:21 AM
AdaptedLenses
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.652 #10 · p.652 #10 · Post your recent film shots!

Jon,

I'm really liking your treatment of the HP5. Seems more contrasty than my lab gives it to me. I'd love to develop myself but my wife would shoot me... Great work regardless.

Jon Buffington wrote:
Olympus xa4, hp5+

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-FhsSnGJ/0/bfefda30/XL/i-FhsSnGJ-XL.jpg
Out riding the other week. Took a good spill in the mud not longer after this picture was taken.

Jun 07, 2017 at 10:42 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kenj8246
• • • • • •
p.652 #11 · p.652 #11 · Post your recent film shots!

Hey, Jon, I like your Guadualupe shots. I walked the trail last fall hoping for some of the much touted fall color. Alas, it had been too hot and there just wasn't much color to be seen. I did manage to turn an ankle down in the bed of the wash.

Kenny

ps I need to get back out there this summer...there's a shot of El Capitan I'm dying to try with large format. Won't even require much hiking either.

Jun 07, 2017 at 11:39 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.652 #12 · p.652 #12 · Post your recent film shots!

Desmolicious wrote:
Minolta XK, Rokkor 35-70 3.5, Portra 400

Wow, an XK shooter! Color me impressed.

Jun 07, 2017 at 09:43 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.652 #13 · p.652 #13 · Post your recent film shots!

rico wrote:
Wow, an XK shooter! Color me impressed.

Butt wait, there's more!

Minolta XK, 35-70 3.5, Portra 400, played with in LR.

An ode to global warming...

I use my Minolta XK with both the AE and AE-S heads. The AE one is the original CDS celled metered head that makes the camera look like Herman Munster. So ugly I love it, and so unique too.
The AE-S head was the 'improved' design using SPD cells. Physically it is less imposing, and thus IMO lost some of the original character. But the SPD cells allow it to react to light quicker thus making it "better". It is also about a stop more sensitive. The AE-S head is much harder and more expensive to find.
So why do I prefer the old style Herman head? Several reasons:

1/ You see the entire shutter speed scale at the same time. Sounds simple enough, no? But the AE-S head shows about half of them at any time, you need to flip a switch between them.
2/ The AE head's shutter speed scale is very legible and very easy to read in most lighting conditions. The AE-S head's LEDs are invisible in bright light, and blind out the read out in dim light.
3/ Switching to manual exposure mode, the AE head uses simple and very effective match needle metering. The AE-S head shows a mechanical actual shutter speed read out in a tiny window in the top right corner of the vf, which you then need to match with the lit LED in the main read out.
4/ The AE head has an Auto Exposure Overide Control switch which allows you to seamlessly dial in exposure compensation while looking through the VF. Once you let go of it, it reverts back to the standard exposure. The AE-S head replaces that with an exposure compensation dial. Problem is there is no indication of it in the VF, so if you forget to change it back...

And now the advantages of the AE-S head:

1/ Film speed setting is harder to accidentally change.
2/ 3 position meter on switch - off, always on w/ no LEDs in VF (saves battery life), always on. The AE head has ON or OFF. Both use the sensor switch on the front of the camera.

For me, the advantages of the old AE head by far outway those of the AE-S head.

Jun 08, 2017 at 01:04 AM
Jon Buffington
• • •
p.652 #14 · p.652 #14 · Post your recent film shots!

Mathieu, the hp5+ negs were dense because I overly developed (not on purpose) and the light was super contrasty. So, there we go

Kenny, I loved Guadalupe. I am a sucker for far west Texas. Nice to know someone on here is familiar with the place

Jun 08, 2017 at 08:26 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.652 #15 · p.652 #15 · Post your recent film shots!

Desmolicious wrote:
For me, the advantages of the old AE head by far outway those of the AE-S head.

I agree the AE head gives the XK a special impact, but didn't realize the superior analog readout. Rumor says the XK meters have suffered the ravages of time. Are working samples hard to find?

Jun 08, 2017 at 09:18 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.652 #16 · p.652 #16 · Post your recent film shots!

rico wrote:
I agree the AE head gives the XK a special impact, but didn't realize the superior analog readout. Rumor says the XK meters have suffered the ravages of time. Are working samples hard to find?

I haven't seen any issues with the meters, I have always had accurate exposures in all conditions. The problems I have seen have been with the bodies, those can go flaky and have inaccurate shutters. As those are controlled electronically it is a very hard fix if you can find anyone to do the work. It seems that the flaky cameras may have been miss-treated/improperly stored/got wet. The one I tried to fix I could not budge the screws on the body, nor could the repair shop! Signs of internal corrosion due to the camera having become wet.

Forgot to address this bit:
"Are working samples hard to find?"
These are old cameras but very well made. If it works, it works so make sure you have a return policy if you get one. Many sellers, as with all old gear, will claim they don't know if it works/do not have a battery (they use regular 1.5v button cells!) etc etc. The risk is the same as with any old gear.

Jun 08, 2017 at 10:05 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.652 #17 · p.652 #17 · Post your recent film shots!

More XK love..

XK + MD 50 1.4 + Fuji C200 + multi exposure.

"My Venice Acid Dream"

(may be a repost, I am old and I forget...)

Jun 08, 2017 at 01:24 PM
Kenj8246
• • • • • •
p.652 #18 · p.652 #18 · Post your recent film shots!

Here's to getting to be old enough to forget stuff.

Jun 08, 2017 at 03:36 PM
nicoimages
• •
p.652 #19 · p.652 #19 · Post your recent film shots!

Mamiya C330S with 80/2.8 lens and Franka Solida II folder with Schneider Xenar lens (image 3 and 4) - all images taken on Ekta 100 and scanned in with a Nikon Coolscan 9000

Shirts by Nicholas T, on Flickr

Brown Dress by Nicholas T, on Flickr

National Centre for Circus Arts by Nicholas T, on Flickr

White by Nicholas T, on Flickr

SBC Cycles by Nicholas T, on Flickr

Jun 08, 2017 at 04:59 PM
Jon Buffington
• • •
p.652 #20 · p.652 #20 · Post your recent film shots!

The wife and I took a road trip on memorial weekend, our first stop just happened to be Fort Donelson National Cemetary. Fitting for the weekend. Leica M5, canon 50/1.8 ltm, triX, d-76 1:1, pakon scan.

Jun 08, 2017 at 10:14 PM

FM Forums | Film Is Not Dead Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.