Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2008 · Buying a 24" printer. best place to buy

Randman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Buying a 24" printer. best place to buy

Hi,
I am trying to choose between epson 7880 or 24" HP Z-3100. Has anyone used both of these that can give me an idea of which is the better printer , better output and where is the best place to buy (best price, free shipping). I have researched both of these quite a bit. I know the in the spring '09 epson will have the 7990 models out with the built in profiling system like the HP model and the auto PK and MK ink change also. But I can't wait as I need bigger prints now. I have used epson for the last 8 yrs and have been very happy with them, never any problems I couldn't handle, and love the print output quality of the epsons. I wish I lived in canada as I would have gotten one of the Z-3100 for $1500 when they had that crazy promotion sale and I wouldn't be posting this. Unfortunately that is not the case
If you know where to get a smoking deal on either of these printers, please let me know.
And I greatly appreciate any input from you with knowledge out there on these 2 printers.
I would be interested in a lightly used one also.
Thanks,
Randy

Jun 12, 2008 at 06:38 PM
tomrock
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Buying a 24" printer. best place to buy

So, you've used Epsons for years and you're completely happy with them. You like the output. You know how to work with them. Then why are you even thinking about this HP? Buy the Epson.

It's best to buy those big printers locally where support is available if possible.

If that's not possible, I've been happy dealing with http://itsupplies.com That's where I bought my 3800 and lots of ink and paper over the years.

Jun 12, 2008 at 07:55 PM
bob parrish
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Buying a 24" printer. best place to buy

Tomrock,

Not trying to hijack the thread but I'm about 5 minutes from pulling the trigger on a 3800. Should I buy it? Wait? I had a older Canon i9900 that I sold the other day for almost what I paid for it.

Thanks, Bob

Jun 12, 2008 at 10:39 PM
EA6B
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Buying a 24" printer. best place to buy

Epson. Check out Luminous-Landscape for info on the HP problems.

Jun 12, 2008 at 11:07 PM
Matrix
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Buying a 24" printer. best place to buy

Why not the Canon iPF6100? Many happy users (including myself) over at http://canonipf.wikispaces.com.

I've enjoyed dealing with a company called "Shades of Paper" (www.shadesofpaper.com) - they seem to be well connected with the manufacturers and can sometimes offer great deals.

Jun 12, 2008 at 11:59 PM
colinm
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Buying a 24" printer. best place to buy

Speaking as someone who does consulting and sells the big iron, I'm with Tom Rock: If you're happy and familiar with Epson, go with the Epson.

All three manufacturers are offering very nice printers, and they're similar enough there's not a whole lot of reason to change brands unless you're dissatisfied. There's a definite learning curve in changing brands, and the easiest way to avoid it is to stay where you're happy.

Epson also still has the single best warranty—next-day whole unit replacement. HP and Canon ship parts and require scheduling a service call, which generally takes at least a few days. You're fairly unlikely to need service with any of the current models, but the two approaches can make a difference depending on your needs.

Edited by colinm on Jun 13, 2008 at 08:28 AM GMT

Edited on Jun 13, 2008 at 03:28 PM

Jun 13, 2008 at 12:47 AM
tomrock
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Buying a 24" printer. best place to buy

bob parrish wrote:
Tomrock,

Not trying to hijack the thread but I'm about 5 minutes from pulling the trigger on a 3800. Should I buy it? Wait? I had a older Canon i9900 that I sold the other day for almost what I paid for it.

Thanks, Bob

Bob,

I really can't answer that -- I'm happy with my 3800 (I came from an Epson 4000) and I've used Epson printers since the late nineties, but I'm sure they're going to come out with a new model to replace it fairly soon. Sorry.

Jun 13, 2008 at 11:22 AM
tomm101
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Buying a 24" printer. best place to buy

The 7880 still has the ink change problem, if you can live with that go for it, there is no doubt that Epsons print very well. The new 7900 uses a new ink carriage assmbly and will not require ink changes.
I'd also look at the Canon iPF6100, again no ink changes but very different software, nice images.
Read up on HPs, there are fans and detractors.

Tom

Jun 13, 2008 at 03:16 PM
Randman
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Buying a 24" printer. best place to buy

It's a tough call, I have been very happy with epson though... Maybe I'll get one of the refurbished 3800's that epson is selling for pretty cheap and then wait for the new 7900 to come out. Along with everything else new with them, they are going 10 inks.. Adding 2 new colors: I believe orange and green, something like that. I know they will be smoking hot when they come out. Possibly a gloss optimizer also?
I'm sure I can get very sellable 16x24 prints from the 3800 till then? Then again I'm sure I would be more than happy with the 7880 for along time if I can find a good price on one. The best price I have found so far is about $2700. If you see a better price than that let me know. I'll look at the ipf6100 also. I use intel mac computer and I know that some printers have problems with mac.
Randy

Jun 13, 2008 at 03:58 PM
Randman
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Buying a 24" printer. best place to buy

another thought... Where can you get discount codes or promotional codes at? I always see a place for that when you go to purchase on a site.

Jun 13, 2008 at 04:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Buying a 24" printer. best place to buy

I was happy with Canon printers but bought the HP Z3100 because is has a glosser ink for better glossy prints and especially for it's, unique, internal self profiling system that lets you calibrate/pofile for any paper in less than 1/2 hour.

Also you want to buy these big roll paper printers from a local professional printer dealer (NOT a camera store) that services/installs what they sell. The Z3100 comes on a very heavy pallet is best set up by a pro that has done it before. Roll printing is a big deal and involves special mechanical/electronic systems to allow for reliable and repeatable results.
In LA Color DNA is a superior HP dealer that was price competitive. I hope you can find someone as good in your area.

Jun 13, 2008 at 05:36 PM
Matrix
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Buying a 24" printer. best place to buy

I can only speak for Canon printers, but setting it up was not that hard at all. While it'd probably be nice to have someone do it for you, be aware it ISN'T an overly complex procedure, and the manufacturers provide lots of instructions for getting started.

However, you WILL need a second person to lift the printer onto its stand (or table if you prefer). I thought I could do it myself, but at over 100lbs and very wide, it's just not possible for one person to do.

Edited on Jun 13, 2008 at 05:53 PM

Jun 13, 2008 at 05:53 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Buying a 24" printer. best place to buy

I was happy with Canon printers but bought the HP Z3100 because is has a gloss ink cartridge for better prints on glossy paper (emulsifies the pigment for less bronzing) and especially for it's, unique, internal self profiling system that lets you calibrate/profile for any paper in less than 1/2 hour.

You want to buy these big roll paper printers from a local professional printer dealer (NOT a camera store) that services/installs what they sell. The Z3100 comes on a very heavy pallet and is best set up by a pro that has done it before. Roll printing is a big deal and involves special mechanical/electronic systems to allow for reliable and repeatable results.

In Los Angeles Color DNA is a superior HP dealer that was price competitive. They came to my, mountain, home unpacked and set up the printer (about the size of a Shetland Pony). When the print head carriage was defective the head guy spent hours ordering the various parts and came out again to set up the printer. I hope you can find someone as good in your area.

Jun 13, 2008 at 09:07 PM
riverman02

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Buying a 24" printer. best place to buy

I have several friends who own HP3100 and Epson 7800 series printers. They are happy with their results, but each printer has presented challenges and tradeoffs. With our older Epson pigment printers (4000 and 2200) clogging and ink waste was a problem for us unless we printed quite frequently; the newer Epson models presumably offer improved performance in this regard. The Canon and HP users on the newsgroups/Canon wiki/yahoo groups do not seem to be reporting clogging problems, but their models have also had less time to develop a reputation out in the marketplace.

Each printer offers slightly different paper handling for roll and sheetfeed, and they seem to vary as well in terms of ink consumption, so comparing the retail price/ml of the ink cartridges does not necessarily tell you which printer is most economical. If you anticipate switching back and forth between glossy/luster using PK ink and matte/fine art with MK ink, then the HP or Canon are more economical.

I was fortunate in being able to get excellent, comprehensive in-person demos from Bob and Jim at the ColorHQ office in sububan Chicago. They walked me through printer setup, driver/plugin settings, paper handling and loading, then we were able to view and evaluate print samples in a color-controlled environment.

The print comparisons were interesting, showing that on comparable paper surfaces the HP, Epson, and Canon were all excellent, but each had a slightly different look with different gamut and dMax characteristics. I don't know how much of the difference is due to the inks and printer characteristics and how much of it is due to the profiles and driver settings. As you would expect, the gloss/satin/luster papers had the most punch, but the high quality matte papers looked beautiful as well, with better shadow gradations than I have had on my old Epson 4000 (although some of that improvement may be due to better profiles). I normally prefer the look and feel of art/matte papers, but there was a Canon print on the Hahnemuhle Baryta paper that really stood out.

In the end I chose the Canon iPf 6100 - the June special pricing + trade-in allowance + profiles + rollpaper promo made the decision easier. I expect delivery next week, so can't yet give any feedback on delivery, setup, or real-world use.

My contacts with ColorHQ (Jim, Bob, Brian) have been excellent, I am confident that my post-sales experience will be as good.

Bill

Link:

http://www.colorhq.com/canon-ipf6100-p/1016b002aa.htm

Jun 13, 2008 at 10:55 PM
Duncan Staples
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Buying a 24" printer. best place to buy

http://printworks-usa.com/

Ask for Paul and tell him I sent you.

I would seriously consider the IPF6100 (Canon) but regardless, he will get you very close to dealer net.

Duncan Staples

Jun 14, 2008 at 03:34 AM
John Caldwell
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Buying a 24" printer. best place to buy

What can we hope to pay in the US for the Canon 6100 with an Epson trade in?

Jun 14, 2008 at 04:51 AM
colinm
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Buying a 24" printer. best place to buy

riverman02 wrote:
With our older Epson pigment printers (4000 and 2200) clogging and ink waste was a problem for us unless we printed quite frequently; the newer Epson models presumably offer improved performance in this regard. The Canon and HP users on the newsgroups/Canon wiki/yahoo groups do not seem to be reporting clogging problems, but their models have also had less time to develop a reputation out in the marketplace.

Indeed, Epson's improved the clog-resistance with every new generation of ink and printhead, and the 880 series are leaps and bounds ahead of the original UltraChromes. It ain't perfect, but nothing is. The 11880 technology trickling down into newer printers should improve things further.

Canon doesn't have any magic silver bullet against clogs, but they do have some voodoo on their side. The smart nozzle compensation helps prevent clogs from affecting print output until it gets really bad, and combined with the more proactive and transparent automatic head cleanings, gives some people the impression they "never clog." Having dealt with several Canons with major clogs, I can comfortably say they're not magical—but up until you hit the tipping point they sure do seem like it.

Jun 14, 2008 at 05:27 AM
TheBlindOne
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Buying a 24" printer. best place to buy

I have been using a canon IPF6100 at work for about 6 months now (this is a production environment) and can't say enough good things about it. The printer is simply amazing. all I can say is user replaceable heads, really consistent ink, no swapping photo for matte black AT ALL, and roll feed that actually works and is effective (support for very long roll stock). This printer is the dogs bollocks.

Jun 14, 2008 at 08:34 AM
riverman02

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Buying a 24" printer. best place to buy

John, the iPF6100 pricing I got from ColorHQ was US$2499 minus US$500 for my Epson 4000 giving a a total of US$1999. The package includes printer, printer stand, my choice of three rolls of paper up to 24" wide from a Canon promo list, two free custom profiles and free delivery (I added US$50 for liftgate delivery since I don't have a loading dock). Prices have varied from week to week in the past and the Canon promo pricing expires soon, so talking to an account rep should get you the latest. I placed my order through Jim Memije - he was extremely helpful and is a digital imaging enthusiast.

Note that there are also promotional prices/bundles on the other iPF printers as well. Before I visited their showroom I was actually considering the iPF5100 package at about US$900 after trade-in.

On their website is a list of eligible trade-ins (HP, Canon, Epson...), I am not sure if the particular model being traded determines the $ amount. Here is the list of eligble Epsons:

SP 2000/2200
SP 3000
SP 4000
SP 5000
SP 7000
SP 9000 Series
SP 10000 Series
R 2400
SC 1520

Jun 14, 2008 at 06:37 PM
Randman
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Buying a 24" printer. best place to buy

I saw the $2499 price in the check out basket for the iPF6100 but I couldn't determine what the promotional trade in $ amount would be for the r2400 that I have. That's a hell of a price for sure. Best of the 3 $ wise thatI have been considering. Money is an important factor in my decision also. I have no doubt that all 3 have fabulous output. Another thing is I live in Tucson and It's very dry except for the monsoon season which starts almost religiously around july 4th.
Thanks for all the input and I'll check all the websites that have been recommended.
Randy

Jun 14, 2008 at 08:21 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password