New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2008 · Canon G9 Waterproof case

Ariel Bravy
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon G9 Waterproof case

I'm considering getting the waterproof case for the G9.

To those of you who have it, could you share your experiences with how easy it is to use, its effectiveness, perhaps some sample pics, and anything else?

Thanks.

Ariel

Jun 08, 2008 at 05:14 PM
juberisk2
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon G9 Waterproof case

Hi Ariel,

Just got back from a whitewater rafting trip. it was my first time using this product, but here's a few things i can mention about the waterproof case (Canon WP-DC21) for the G9:

1) the case makes the G9 about the size of a 5D with a 50/1.4 (and pretend you can't take the 50/1.4 off ever). it was tough for me to find space for it among my other camera gear in my backback (an actual 5D/lenses/accessories). so unless i have specific water activity planned, it's not an item i'll be regularly packing.

2) fully submerged shots were much better than above-water shots, due to water droplets on the front of the casing.

3) fairly easy to use, and most functions are retained, including twist knobs that allow use of the ISO dial and program mode dial. there is even a lever that allows use of the zoom function. the scrolling wheel in the back is the only significant thing that is not accessible. i therefore couldn't change aperture or exposure compensation. i must admit i found this annoying. if there's another way to do it, i'd love to know. anyone?

4) very fun, especially in video mode, documenting things you normally wouldn't be able to.

5) it was tight, sturdy, and kept the G9 dry.

-chris

Jun 08, 2008 at 08:11 PM
JohnJ80
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon G9 Waterproof case

You can access all functions on the G9 that you can without the housing. There is key sequence you use and it works fine (it is all in the manual for either the enclosure or the camera).

If you are going to use this for snorkeling, you will need the weight set. Without it, it is very buoyant and awkward.

This is a nice housing, especially at the price offered.

J.

Jun 08, 2008 at 08:39 PM
Ariel Bravy
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon G9 Waterproof case

Thanks for the comments thus far guys.

Speaking of sturdiness against bumps and knocks?

I don't actually intend on doing much diving or snorkeling with it. I want it mainly to protect against rain, beach sand, splashes when rafting, mud, and so on. Mostly protection against the elements.

Does it float without the weight set? This would actually be a plus in case it's dropped out of a boat or something.

I've read about being wary when using it at the beach as the sand can compromise the seals in the O-rings. Any experiences there?

The water droplets on the lens is a good point. Did your finger make an effective wiper, even when it too was wet?

Edited on Jun 08, 2008 at 08:52 PM

Jun 08, 2008 at 08:50 PM
Strid3r
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon G9 Waterproof case

Has anyone used the generic waterproof bags? Rather than the specialized enclosures?

Jun 08, 2008 at 09:36 PM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon G9 Waterproof case

I had good luck with my similar enclosure for the G7 for river rafting shots. The bulk is a pain, but I generally kept it stored loose rather than with my SLR gear that was in a waterproof bag. For above water use, the droplets can be a pain. The extreme depth of field of a P&S camera means the droplets are going to show quite well. I found it best to have a good stock of dry cotton cloth wipes to clean of the drops often between shots. I also would protect the front with my hand or by aiming the camera away from the splashes until the key moment, and then try to get one shot off while the port was still dry. The shutter lag of a P&S is a royal pain compared to an SLR, and so you need to learn how long it is an try to anticipate well to catch action. My old brain has a hard time remembering about lag with the P&S because of my 40 years of SLR experience with near zero shutter lag, so I missed quite a few shots. The housing will easily float without the weights attached.

Jun 09, 2008 at 01:31 AM
GeorgeK-NJ
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon G9 Waterproof case

Mine should be here today. I've got a trip to PR starting Saturday for a week and plan on using it around the pool and the beach. Should be fun!

Jun 09, 2008 at 06:16 AM
Jeremy Reitman
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon G9 Waterproof case

I don't have one for the G9, but I do have one of the canon waterproof cases for our SD750. I can only assume the one for the G9 would be similar, but the case allows you access to all of the controls for the camera, including switching between picture and movie mode (does the G9 have movie mode??). Anyways, water drops on the front of the lens were a bit of a problem, but as long as you cleaned it off, it was fine.

Jun 09, 2008 at 07:38 AM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon G9 Waterproof case

The instructions for changing Ap or shutter speed are in the manual that comes with the housing, not the camera manual. I have mine all set to go except for working out neutral bouyancy with a weight set because I willl be diving with mine. Weather will soon have my pool warm enough to get that done plus some basic submerged testing. Shots of my set up are here.
http://picasaweb.google.com/cicopo/CanonG9WPDC21FlashAdaptor
The Canon housings are a very good value and so far the only real concern I have read about is that some divers have experienced them starting to fog up inside due to camera heat build up. It seems to be random and sometimes this is the result of closing the housing in an air conditioned room without putting a desicant pack. As just good protection at the beach etc it should work great.

Jun 09, 2008 at 07:41 AM
sav0320
• •
[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon G9 Waterproof case

I ordered one and NewEgg ($169) refused to ship to the hotel I was at on vacation.

Kodak waterproof film cams are not a good alternative...

Edited on Jun 09, 2008 at 07:50 AM

Jun 09, 2008 at 07:50 AM
CPWarner
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon G9 Waterproof case

I had the same question as the OP on the controls. I got my housing second hand and it was missing the manual. With a little web searching, I found out how to access the controls:

To change shutter speed or aperature with a G9 in a WP-DC21, you press and hold the "Direct Transfer Button" (has a white S in a box/ blue direct print icon to left of optical viewfinder), then press the macro or flash buttons (the left-right of the four buttons on the toggle ring around the function set button inside the wheel). In pure manual one switches between the shutter speed and aperature with the +/- button above and to the right of the wheel as you normally would. Then you change the setting using the Direct Transfer Button and the left-right buttons. So the Direct Transfer Button is the trick and actually makes that direct print button useful and gives us access to all the features on the camera.

I think this is really cool and can not wait to try out my housing. Should be fun!

Edited on Jun 09, 2008 at 04:48 PM

Jun 09, 2008 at 04:41 PM
juberisk2
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon G9 Waterproof case

Cliff, thanks for the tip on the "Direct Transfer Button." Now I don't have to search for the manual.

Jun 09, 2008 at 06:51 PM
antacid

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon G9 Waterproof case

to help with the water droplets on the front port, you have a couple of options.

1. spit on it, rub it around, then rinse it off

2. put a little soap (bio-degradable, i hope), rub it in, then rinse it off. johnson & johnson baby shampoo works great, and smells even better.

3. Rub in some toothpaste on the port, leave it to dry overnight, then wash off the toothpaste.

4. rub some raw potato on the port, then rinse it off

5. rub some apple slices on the port, then rinse it off

these are tricks that underwater photographers use to get over/underwater shots with wide-lenses.

personally i prefer method #1, but it's tough when you need to spit all over an 8inch diameter glass dome port! plus its cheap and does not require any additional preparations.

oh, try not to use your hand to wipe off the water, because the oils on your fingers will cause smudging. also never use RainX on the port or it'll cause irreparable scarring.

Edited on Jun 10, 2008 at 03:17 PM

Jun 10, 2008 at 03:14 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon G9 Waterproof case

Note that the front port of the Canon housings I have used are made of glass with a metal rim, not plastic, so they should not have problems with chemicals causing damage. The rest of the housing is all plastic, so still be careful with it. There is no question that many of the listed methods will help with bringing the port up out of water, and with fogging, but they may not work as well with large droplets that land by them selves on the port. But I will be trying the old reliable spit method the next time I get a chance, and the relativily small flat port should be easy to manage with a single spit.

Jun 10, 2008 at 05:23 PM
fourfa
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon G9 Waterproof case

I had no end of fogging problems on a recent trip, solved by using a couple dessicant packs inside. this isn't unique to canon cases by any means. you can also fill it with dry air by spraying your regulator inside just before closing it (assuming you're diving, not snorkeling)

Edited on Jun 13, 2008 at 05:56 PM

Jun 13, 2008 at 05:55 PM
patricksmith04
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon G9 Waterproof case

I just ordered one with my G9. Very excited to test it out.

Jun 14, 2008 at 10:17 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.