Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              18       19       end

Archive 2008 · Really fast 50 Bokeh

pdmphoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · Really fast 50 Bokeh

That is very good, but my Zuiko 50/1.2 resolves at least as much detail wide open. I also think the later MC's of the Zuiko give better , more balanced, color - with less ghosting.

cogitech wrote:
A smaller version:

http://www.cogitech.ca/photos/Rokkor/bokeh/img_9659.jpg

Edited on Jun 10, 2008 at 10:38 PM

Jun 10, 2008 at 10:36 PM
Stu Warner
• •
p.4 #2 · Really fast 50 Bokeh

I'm using an Oly 50/1.2 on an old Canon 300D, so don't forget to take into account the crop factor with the following shots. I hope they demonstrate it's potential for low-light street photography - please don't try to infer anything about it's sharpness.

This second shot in particular has camera blur as I only had a split second walking across the alley to see the silhouette shot, frame and expose. From a technicial standpoint it is not the best executed shot, but I really like the atmosphere - it sums up my time in Strasbourg very well.

And the third shot here gives some idea of the bokeh at a distance.

Everything shot wide open at f/1.2 so as to avoid going above ISO400 on the 300D. All exposures made at 1/60th, which is a little slow given the crop factor

Jun 12, 2008 at 12:30 PM
Ed Sawyer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #3 · Really fast 50 Bokeh

Nice shots. I kinda wish I shot digital so I could post stuff from the EF 50 1.0L. Scanning from film just isn't worth the effort @ this point though.

Does the rokkor suffer focus shift like typical fast 50s? E.g. the Canon EF 50 1.2L?

-Ed

Jun 12, 2008 at 05:58 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.4 #4 · Really fast 50 Bokeh

Ed Sawyer wrote:
Nice shots. I kinda wish I shot digital so I could post stuff from the EF 50 1.0L. Scanning from film just isn't worth the effort @ this point though.

Does the rokkor suffer focus shift like typical fast 50s? E.g. the Canon EF 50 1.2L?

-Ed

I have heard some people say it does, but I haven't noticed it. The thing is, the lens can easily be stop-down focused from f1.2 to f3.5 (with a 5D and Ee-S screen), so focus shift does not enter the equation, because shift is only a problem if the lens is focused wide open and then stopped down. If focused wide open and then stopped down to f5.6 or beyond, the extra DOF would tend to reduce the shift effect anyway.

So the answer is, maybe the lens does have focus shift if used as intended (on a Minolta body) but I don't use it that way so it effectively doesn't have the issue.

Jun 12, 2008 at 09:11 PM
Leon Noel
• • •
p.4 #5 · Really fast 50 Bokeh

Well, I'm sorry I've been feeling like a loser who failed to defend a 300 USD rokkor against a 5000 USD Noctilux, so here's my second attempt to save my beloved favorite lens some face by trying some different shooting and editing techniques... Of course it still doesn't scratch to the Nocti level but I guess it fares better now that I have a little more clue of what I should do to induce or eliminate "harsh rings" bokeh. (no, nothing to do with selective Gaussian blur, I know I'm petty but I won't stoop that low )

My apologies for this spamming of non artistic flower shots, I just use center AF box to frame and focus, some came out ok, some still has "busy" background, inspect and comment if you feel like, I can handle critics.

There we go, all boring flower shots made with Rokkor 58/1.2 on 5D. Apart from #6 & #7 (which I intended to get more flowers into focus by stopping down), the rest is wide open where sometimes only a petal is sharp.

I have a few more unedited since I don't have time, and I must go cook now.

Happy shooting guys, shoot with what you have.

PS: I'm actually quite glad bokeh in Shot #3 looks like that of Cogi's dog nose shot. And #5 is busiest as far as I can see

Edited on Jun 13, 2008 at 06:11 PM

Jun 13, 2008 at 06:06 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.4 #6 · Really fast 50 Bokeh

Leon Noel wrote:
My apologies for this spamming of non artistic flower shots, I just use center AF box to frame and focus, some came out ok, some still has "busy" background, inspect and comment if you feel like, I can handle critics.

No apologies needed, just post more pictures of the person on your avatar using this lens

Jun 13, 2008 at 06:19 PM
Leon Noel
• • •
p.4 #7 · Really fast 50 Bokeh

Oh on that side note, she's the woman of my dream that I can only dream to touch (I mean shoot of course).

Jun 13, 2008 at 06:22 PM
ovredal73
• • • •
p.4 #8 · Really fast 50 Bokeh

Rokkor 58 1.2:

Jun 13, 2008 at 09:35 PM
robsteve
• • •
p.4 #9 · Really fast 50 Bokeh

Leon Noel wrote:
Well, I'm sorry I've been feeling like a loser who failed to defend a 300 USD rokkor against a 5000 USD Noctilux, (

My Noctilux cost no where near $5,000, but I have owned it for about ten years. Back then they could be found in the $1,600 -1,800 range.

BTW, here is the latest Noctilux. On sale

http://www.dalephotoanddigital.com/_e/Leica/product/011603/Leica_Special_Edition_Noctilux_M_50mm_f_1_0.htm

Jun 13, 2008 at 11:40 PM
robsteve
• • •
p.4 #10 · Really fast 50 Bokeh

Leon Noel wrote:
Oh on that side note, she's the woman of my dream that I can only dream to touch (I mean shoot of course).

I would second the request. It would be nice to see some more people shots with the fast lenses. The rendering of smooth skin tones is also one of the characteristics to look for in a lens.

Robert

Jun 13, 2008 at 11:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

robsteve
• • •
p.4 #11 · Really fast 50 Bokeh

Here is the sample from the first post. The lens gives smooth skin tones, plus a nice smooth bokeh, while still being reasonably sharp.

Jun 13, 2008 at 11:45 PM
Anden
• • • • •
p.4 #12 · Really fast 50 Bokeh

Ovredal: I really like your photos, no 4 in particular. I get a terminator 2 feeling from them.

Great work!

A

Jun 14, 2008 at 06:05 AM
ovredal73
• • • •
p.4 #13 · Really fast 50 Bokeh

Thank you, Anden T2 is a great compliment.

Jun 14, 2008 at 09:18 AM
pixelpix
• •
p.4 #14 · Really fast 50 Bokeh

Oly 50/1.2 on 1DsII

That was an early test shot with it and as a 1.2 lens the Oly is not that good IMO. DOF is way to thin and images have a milky look.

But as an f2 lens it rocks!...

Jun 14, 2008 at 10:29 PM
Paul Yi
• • • • •
p.4 #15 · Really fast 50 Bokeh

Not a close-up, but...
With Rokkor 58/1.2 wide open...

Jun 15, 2008 at 01:03 AM
Shuko
• •
p.4 #16 · Really fast 50 Bokeh

EltonTeng wrote:
More Oly 55/1.2. That bokeh gets to be really busy.

My FD 55/1.2SSC (non asp) does that as well. Heres one with a FD->EF adapter (with a lens) on 1Ds2 at f1.2

Edited by Shuko on Jun 29, 2008 at 08:53 AM GMT

Edited on Jun 29, 2008 at 06:53 AM

Jun 15, 2008 at 09:31 AM
StevenPA
• • • •
p.4 #17 · Really fast 50 Bokeh

Shuko, that's just about the busiest bokeh I've ever seen!

Among FD lenses, what's the one to get converted to EF mount? I've been thinking of doing that just for fun.

Edited on Jun 15, 2008 at 01:56 PM

Jun 15, 2008 at 01:55 PM
ovredal73
• • • •
p.4 #18 · Really fast 50 Bokeh

Even though it is busy, I kind of like it. Creates some kind of painterly shapes to the background.

Jun 15, 2008 at 02:05 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.4 #19 · Really fast 50 Bokeh

cogitech wrote:
I have heard some people say it does, but I haven't noticed it. The thing is, the lens can easily be stop-down focused from f1.2 to f3.5 (with a 5D and Ee-S screen), so focus shift does not enter the equation, because shift is only a problem if the lens is focused wide open and then stopped down. If focused wide open and then stopped down to f5.6 or beyond, the extra DOF would tend to reduce the shift effect anyway.

So the answer is, maybe the lens does have focus shift if used as intended (on a Minolta body) but
...Show more

I agree basically, but would like to adjust minor details:

The answer is not maybe but definitely. When trying it out I found way more focus shift in the Rokkor 58/1.2 than in the EF50/1.2L for example.

If the lens can be easily focused stopped down or not will depend on the available light. Generally one would use this lens at the largest aperture openings available of course. I had no problems with the focus shift in practise unless I stopped down after focusing.

I sold my copy pretty quickly; I loved the crispiness wide open, I disliked the focus shift and the bright rings around OOF background highlights. These are personal preferences only, YMMW as we say.

regards,

--
Jonas

Jun 15, 2008 at 04:28 PM
Rob Riley
• • •
p.4 #20 · Really fast 50 Bokeh

I have posted these about the place over the last few weeks. Its an incomplete conversion to 4/3rds for my E3 with a Konica Hexanon 57/1.2. Its a bit troublesome because its loose on the mount but i just couldn't wait to try it, there's no locking pin and no baffle (which should increase contrast wide open.

No hope of finishing it this week we are flat out here even though its supposed to be 'off season'. Of course there is no EXIF to go by, i think some of the better shots would be at F2 or thereabouts.

and 100%

Edited on Jun 15, 2008 at 06:25 PM

Jun 15, 2008 at 06:16 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password