Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Weekly assignment 306: Overhead
Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA RulesCurrent entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2008 · #295: Thatís Hysterical!

jban99
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #295: Thatís Hysterical!

I canít tell you what I told them, but they thought that it was the funniest thing they ever heard!

May 19, 2008 at 02:03 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #295: Thatís Hysterical!

Hi John,

An absolutely fabulous shot. Great capture of these kids laughing. I love it. Good luck this week.

Steve S.

May 19, 2008 at 02:22 AM
Carrol
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #295: Thatís Hysterical!

Their faces are wonderful !!
~ Carrol

May 19, 2008 at 04:40 AM
laokai

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #295: Thatís Hysterical!

i really like this shot---great light and great smiles. The only thing I would change, would be to have the kid in the background not blocked quite as much by the other's head. But the image has a nice in-the-moment feeling that is priceless.

May 19, 2008 at 05:17 AM
Steven Roberts
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #295: Thatís Hysterical!

In the moment is right. Can't really go back and re-shoot something like this. I am a big fan of the candid moments. You get what you get with these shots and really can't do to much for changing. So for me, its priceless and precious. Well done.

Steve R

May 19, 2008 at 02:05 PM
jban99
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #295: Thatís Hysterical!

Steve Spencer wrote:
Hi John,

An absolutely fabulous shot. Great capture of these kids laughing. I love it. Good luck this week.

Steve S.

Thanks Steve! It wasnít easy to simultaneously capture the moment with three laughing kids, but it was a lot of fun for all of us!

May 19, 2008 at 09:47 PM
jban99
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #295: Thatís Hysterical!

Carrol wrote:
Their faces are wonderful !!
~ Carrol

Hello Carrol, thank you. Iíll pass the compliment along to my two grandkids and their friendÖ

May 19, 2008 at 09:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jban99
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #295: Thatís Hysterical!

laokai wrote:
i really like this shot---great light and great smiles. The only thing I would change, would be to have the kid in the background not blocked quite as much by the other's head. But the image has a nice in-the-moment feeling that is priceless.

Thanks for the suggestion Chris, but unfortunately Iím not going to have the opportunity to re-shoot. It was very difficult to get them on a perfect pose because I had my subjects jumping up and down on a trampoline and then every ten seconds they were asked to suddenly stop on their pre-assigned spots, so that I could try to capture the proper ďactionĒ composition. That process alone was extremely funny because as they quickly found out, it was impossible to stop and stay in place for more than a fraction of a secondÖ

May 19, 2008 at 09:52 PM
jban99
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #295: Thatís Hysterical!

Steven Roberts wrote:
In the moment is right. Can't really go back and re-shoot something like this. I am a big fan of the candid moments. You get what you get with these shots and really can't do to much for changing. So for me, its priceless and precious. Well done.

Steve R

Hello Steven, youíre right, itís very difficult to recreate a candid shot (it wouldnít be candid the second time) But I donít know if this one qualifies as a candid because it was all planned in advance down to the Xís marking their landing spotsÖ
Thanks for the comments.

Edited on May 19, 2008 at 10:11 PM

May 19, 2008 at 10:00 PM
ComSoup
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #295: Thatís Hysterical!

Awesome shot. Best I've seen of these entries so far. The angle and "candidness" make it work.

May 20, 2008 at 04:26 AM
Strad
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #295: Thatís Hysterical!

Excellent shot, John, my friend! A finalist for sure! I especially like the wide DOF. So often people shoot something like this and the foreground is completely out of focus. Nice work!

Fond regards,

Endre

May 20, 2008 at 04:42 AM
jban99
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · #295: Thatís Hysterical!

ComSoup wrote:
Awesome shot. Best I've seen of these entries so far. The angle and "candidness" make it work.

Thanks for the nice comments, CS.
I had the camera at very long angle and that allowed me to get a closer capture of their emotionsÖ

Edited by jban99 on May 20, 2008 at 06:39 PM GMT

Edited on May 20, 2008 at 11:39 PM

May 20, 2008 at 11:33 PM
jban99
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · #295: Thatís Hysterical!

Strad wrote:
Excellent shot, John, my friend! A finalist for sure! I especially like the wide DOF. So often people shoot something like this and the foreground is completely out of focus. Nice work!

Fond regards,

Endre

Thank you Endre! I always appreciate your thoughtful comments.
Iím glad you noticed the DOF; because even when there was plenty of light, I was forced to bring up the ISO to 500, just to be able to reach a good combination of a fast enough shutter speed to almost freeze the action, and an small enough aperture to keep all of them in focus.
I also used your favorite tool, the Ďfill flashí, set at a very low -3 power, with just enough light to soften the shadows and help modeling their faces a bitÖ

May 20, 2008 at 11:35 PM
y2keg
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · #295: Thatís Hysterical!

A great moment captured. Also, a finalist for sure. Well done.

May 22, 2008 at 04:14 PM

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password