Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2008 · "PRIME" fun (motorcycle) - HIGH BANDWIDTH

General Tso

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · "PRIME" fun (motorcycle) - HIGH BANDWIDTH

Thanks to all for the comments

I had some free time so I posted some more frames for anyone who wants to view. They are all in the gallery here:

Part 1 Samples for Cascade TrackTime @Portland International Raceway - May 9, 2008
http://ButtonJam.smugmug.com/share/BciqogQYXpBto

Edited by General Tso on Jun 05, 2008 at 11:40 PM GMT

Edited on Jun 05, 2008 at 11:40 PM

May 15, 2008 at 04:22 AM
Bill Gass
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · "PRIME" fun (motorcycle) - HIGH BANDWIDTH

Man......Those are some killer shots............Nice work bud...

~Bill~

May 16, 2008 at 07:23 PM
Hockey man
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · "PRIME" fun (motorcycle) - HIGH BANDWIDTH

These are spectacular shots. Great colors

May 16, 2008 at 10:08 PM
PrecisionPhoto
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · "PRIME" fun (motorcycle) - HIGH BANDWIDTH

Excellent work, however I would have like to see the bikers just a bit less in motion and more in focus and do understand the need to convey speed and motion in the same shot.
Have any shots where you freeze everything at a much higher shutter speed to see what the lens is capable of in sharpness stopped ?
Thanks

Jun 05, 2008 at 06:17 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · "PRIME" fun (motorcycle) - HIGH BANDWIDTH

pretty good shots

Jun 05, 2008 at 04:08 PM
Scott Sewell
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · "PRIME" fun (motorcycle) - HIGH BANDWIDTH

Nice photos, but I'd personally like to see a little more variety. They start to look the same after 2-3. I don't get the posts of lenses, either.

Please, please resize those images! 1600px on the longest side is just nuts. Then you posted them all again in smaller sizes? And then after Carl asked to keep the images sizes down you posted more at 1600px on the longest side. Makes no sense.

I'll be honest...once could be considered a slip up or that you just didn't know better, but a second time (especially after a moderator has mentioned it) is just plain rude and disrespectful.

Jun 05, 2008 at 04:57 PM
Michael H
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · "PRIME" fun (motorcycle) - HIGH BANDWIDTH

General Tso wrote:
Thanks to all for the comments

I had some free time so I posted some more frames for anyone who wants to view. They are all in the gallery here:

Part 1 Samples for Cascade TrackTime @Portland International Raceway - May 9, 2008
removed images

Please be considerate in your use of this board. The moderator just asked you to not post the large images and double posts, but you turn around and do it again. Why?

Jun 05, 2008 at 04:59 PM
Option1
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · "PRIME" fun (motorcycle) - HIGH BANDWIDTH

Why post the same shots, different sizes, twice?

Did the OP even read what Carl said?

I'll stop now...

Neil

Edited on Jun 05, 2008 at 06:19 PM

Jun 05, 2008 at 06:17 PM
General Tso

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · "PRIME" fun (motorcycle) - HIGH BANDWIDTH

what's with all the hostility? As a photographer, in order to review the best quality pics, I use a 24" monitor to sample my work. If you have anything smaller, I see why you would complain.

That's why the smaller images are there for the small screen. These images take up ZERO bandwidth of fredmiranda.com - they are simply off my own paid professional smugmug acct.

I didn't catch any moderators requesting I repost with smaller images - but if this is written in the membership agreement policy, I'd be happy to take them down. As for as I can see, I don't think any rules are broken especially when the bandwidth is NOT used up by fredmiranda.com as well. I'm not being rude here, just pointing out that not everyone uses a small monitor; at the same time not everyone has a huge monitor either. But I am accommodating high res. monitors here.

If you don't like the large images for whatever reason, just click on the gallery link. There is no disrespect to anyone here either - you may view if you like, respond with positive comments if you please, but if larger resolution images are too big on your monitor, then that's a monitor size/res. issue for you. These are not full sized images but rather large enough to review the lens details and I intended it to be viewed on a large resolution monitor. Even the title of my thread saids " HIGH BANDWIDTH".

Thanks!
Happy Shooting!

edit: I read the sticky up top - I will repost and remove the images - I'll post up the max 10 images for ya'll. That way no one will bicker about anything anymore Let's all just enjoy our cameras and lenses!

Edited on Jun 05, 2008 at 11:39 PM

Jun 05, 2008 at 11:32 PM
General Tso

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · "PRIME" fun (motorcycle) - HIGH BANDWIDTH

Hi there, pictures are always subjective - eye of the beholder - so some people like motion blur, some don't. It's not right nor is it wrong - you can stop the bikes in motion but they look sort of at a "stand still" so that doesn't really convey what I want - which is high speeds.

The lens is really capable at F2.8. However, the shallow DOF and the ambient light without an ND filter doesn't quite work out at the time. But with a long telephoto distance, it doesn't matter if you have F4 or F8. Enough bg blur IMO.

Variety is another matter - you can only shoot so many pictures before everything starts to look "the same". That's how everything is - but these images were done for each individual rider. If you ride a motorcycle yourself, I'd bet you'd want more images "of yourself!"

I will say that the 300mm VR is more than capable stopped down - however, I'm more concerned about focus and composition - and with bikes moving this fast at your telephoto focal distance, it's not as easy as it sounds to take these type of shots.

Happy shooting

Jun 05, 2008 at 11:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

General Tso

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · "PRIME" fun (motorcycle) - HIGH BANDWIDTH

Scott Sewell wrote:
Nice photos, but I'd personally like to see a little more variety. They start to look the same after 2-3. I don't get the posts of lenses, either.

Please, please resize those images! 1600px on the longest side is just nuts. Then you posted them all again in smaller sizes? And then after Carl asked to keep the images sizes down you posted more at 1600px on the longest side. Makes no sense.

I'll be honest...once could be considered a slip up or that you just didn't know better, but a second time (especially after a moderator has mentioned
...Show more

thanks - variety is hard when the bike leans left, leans right, goes straight I have many more pictures NOT in the gallery - those are private shots of each individual - and they are not "hi motion" pictures.

And yes, as requested by admin/fm users, the images are removed. Just following board rules here

And of course, no disrespect to anyone here - I didn't catch the request originally.

---The General.

Jun 05, 2008 at 11:47 PM
Scott Sewell
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · "PRIME" fun (motorcycle) - HIGH BANDWIDTH

Earlier today I was looking at those huge images on a pair of 24" monitors, so I'm not sure why the size of monitor matters. The fact is, even if it's not written down, it's general forum etiquette to post reasonably sized images. I personally like the sportsshooter requirement of 600px max on the longest side. Funny, I don't recall people complaining over there, and that site is nothing but photographers. Anyway, moving on...and thanks for resizing them, since I'm at home now and only looking at them on one 24" monitor.

I think anyone who's shot even one or two motorsports events realizes that "you can only shoot so many pictures before everything starts to look "the same"." Since you mentioned it, that was my point...most of what you posted looked the same. But I wasn't aware that the riders you posted images of were coming to FM to see the shots of themselves.

If you're referring riders her to view their photos, I would suggest you think about other sites that are better suited for displaying your work for clients. I wouldn't ever use FM as a means to display my work to clients or those I shoot for. This is pretty much a place to share work with other like-minded photographers...those who shoot sports.

Again, nice work on the images. Looking forward to seeing more in the future.

Edited on Jun 06, 2008 at 01:46 AM

Jun 06, 2008 at 01:44 AM
General Tso

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · "PRIME" fun (motorcycle) - HIGH BANDWIDTH

^^

riders don't come to FM for anything much since they are out riding most of the time - but the gallery link is setup for those who want to see more - that's why the pro smugmug acct is there - pictures were just linked here for others FM'ers to view.

I didn't read the sticky - so I didn't note the limitation rules on picture posting - but again, no harm done. And on a 24" monitor, I am referring to the resolution. I prefer 1920x1200 res. for details. You will start to notice how SMALL pictures are when they are 600px wide

---The General.

Jun 06, 2008 at 02:07 AM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · "PRIME" fun (motorcycle) - HIGH BANDWIDTH

Wow. I'll go with 3, 4, 7 and 8 as faves... but very nice stuff here... cheers.

Jun 06, 2008 at 03:30 AM
kingedwards

p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · "PRIME" fun (motorcycle) - HIGH BANDWIDTH

Beautiful! That Yamaha (orange/black) with Akra exhaust is particularly sweet! Great lean, mysterious rider, heat waves from exhaust. Keep sharing! Want to also see more variety. Thanks much!

P.S. I ride a BMW K1200R.

Jun 20, 2008 at 10:23 PM
gman1339
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · "PRIME" fun (motorcycle) - HIGH BANDWIDTH

General,

Pick up a 52mm ND filter for the 300 2.8 VR if you don't want to stop down so much on sunny days. That's what I did. It works great for getting slower pans on bright days.

Jun 21, 2008 at 01:36 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · "PRIME" fun (motorcycle) - HIGH BANDWIDTH

Great stuff here. You can also try the drop in Cir Pol for this beauty...it's a B+W!
Then you can open it wide and let it ride!

Jul 08, 2008 at 11:16 AM
Craig Yannuzzi
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · "PRIME" fun (motorcycle) - HIGH BANDWIDTH

Great stuff! Thanks for the tech specs although I'm sure it takes LOTS of practice to get those results!

Jul 10, 2008 at 12:23 AM
XFBO
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · "PRIME" fun (motorcycle) - HIGH BANDWIDTH

Great work!

Just out of curiousity, have you tried shooting w/out the VR feature turned on?

IAssuming VR is like Canon's IS, Ive read many times from several well known photogs that they've improved their keeper rate by doing so........thoughts?

Also, in your opinion, how does the D300 track these kind of subjects?

Edited on Jul 10, 2008 at 01:08 AM

Jul 10, 2008 at 01:06 AM
gman1339
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · "PRIME" fun (motorcycle) - HIGH BANDWIDTH

XFBO wrote:
Great work!

Just out of curiousity, have you tried shooting w/out the VR feature turned on?

IAssuming VR is like Canon's IS, Ive read many times from several well known photogs that they've improved their keeper rate by doing so........thoughts?

Also, in your opinion, how does the D300 track these kind of subjects?

If you are shooting slower shutter speed to pan you want the VR on with the 300 f/2.8 VR. Nikon VR knows the difference between panning and trying to reduce all motion. The VR actually helps to smooth the pan.

Jul 10, 2008 at 01:26 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password