Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2008 · Dropped Canon Lens Repair Question

umeboshi

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Dropped Canon Lens Repair Question

Unfortunately yesterday my 70-200 f4 IS fell out of my bag and hit the hard marble floor of a cathedral. The front element is broken and I want to send it to Canon for repair.

I live in NYC and was wondering do I take the lens to B&H or Adorama or can I send it directly to Canon? If it is best to send it directly to Canon how do I arrange this? I have looke on their website but cannot find this information.

Also was wondering if anybody can give me a ballpark on what this is going to cost me?

Thanks

Apr 20, 2008 at 01:35 PM
Mullet
• • •
p.1 #2 · Dropped Canon Lens Repair Question

You should find the repair request link here: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=DownloadDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=314&modelid=12929#SupportDetailAct

I'd send it to the repair center. In N.J., I think.

I dropped a 70-200 f2.8, ruined the front element and the first lens. I could have bought a 70-200 f4 for the repair costs. And I had to send it back to be calibrated. Make sure you document that you want it calibrated along with the repair. Calibration should be free. So be prepared.

Good luck,
Mullet

Apr 20, 2008 at 01:58 PM
umeboshi

p.1 #3 · Dropped Canon Lens Repair Question

Yikes. Oh well that's what I get for being clumsy .

Thanks for the info.

Apr 20, 2008 at 02:06 PM
umeboshi

p.1 #4 · Dropped Canon Lens Repair Question

I just got an e-mail from Canon and it's only gonna cost me $189! That's a big surprise and relief.

Apr 25, 2008 at 02:23 PM
xmattkx
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Dropped Canon Lens Repair Question

I dropped my 300/4is a year ago shattering the front element and knocking some of the interior elements loose. For about $150 they fixed it and calibrated everything making it as good or better than new. I went in directly to the NJ service center and it was ready in about a week.

Apr 25, 2008 at 10:53 PM
The Image
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Dropped Canon Lens Repair Question

I dropped a 70-200mm 2.8L IS and broke the IS element loose, canon irvine charged me a flat rate of $170.00 to fix. this was 3 years ago.

Apr 26, 2008 at 07:01 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

GeorgeK-NJ
• • •
p.1 #7 · Dropped Canon Lens Repair Question

I was just in the Jamsburg facility yesterday to drop off a 5D and 20D for a good cleaning and check-up. $190 each. I also dropped off a 24-70 for calibration, that was $100. I think the pricing is fair. If you can get something damaged fixed for under $300 you'll be doing good.

Apr 26, 2008 at 09:33 AM
Emile Gregoire
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Dropped Canon Lens Repair Question

I've been searching on the forum for a price comparison and am shocked at what you guys pay. No, let me rephrase: I'm shocked at what I pay. I just got a call about the cost of IS replacement in my 70-200 2.8 IS: (drums rolling) just a bit over 400 euro, which is more than US$600!

If the US$170 still holds up in Irvine, I could just as well get a ticket and fly over there. Heck, that might be what they're doing over here

May 16, 2008 at 10:17 AM
Dawei Ye
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Dropped Canon Lens Repair Question

This is interesting, because I remember a thread a while back that menitoned that the 70-200mm f/4L IS had built in "break points" along it's barrel to absorb shock of impact and prevent damage to other components (besides snapping the barrel in half). Looks like they didn't "break" in this case

Edited on May 16, 2008 at 12:41 PM

May 16, 2008 at 12:40 PM
amplexis
• •
p.1 #10 · Dropped Canon Lens Repair Question

i dropped my 70-200 f4 IS lens on new years day and Canon NJ asked for $860 to fix it.
i don't think it makes sense to pay $860 fto fix a $1000 lens.
when it came back i tested it and it does autofocus bit the IS dosn't work.
perhaps i'll trade it for another pocket wizard. or a nice filter.
vincent

May 16, 2008 at 01:29 PM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Dropped Canon Lens Repair Question

If you purchased the lens with a Credit Card they might cover the repair.
Call the number on the back of the card or go to their website.

May 16, 2008 at 07:36 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password