Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2008 · Profoto Pro 6. Worth it?

Jonathan H
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Profoto Pro 6. Worth it?

Howdy everybody, looking for some input.

I've got an offer on the table to pick up a Profoto Pro 6 2400 pack at (what I believe to be) a good price. How outdated are these packs? What's the market value? Are they compatible with the newer heads? Are they known to have any particular problems that I should check for? I'm a bit in the dark as a Google search only brought up some old PDF documents from rental houses and other drivel.

I've been a dynalite user all my photographic life but the lack of a dedicated battery pack option has had me contemplating a switch for some time now. An Acute 600B would be a very nice addition to my line-up: is it conceivable I could find someone to trade their 600B for the Pro 6 2400?

Any advice or input would be most welcome.

Edited on Apr 19, 2008 at 12:44 AM

Apr 18, 2008 at 05:58 PM
shatterkiss
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Profoto Pro 6. Worth it?

The Pro-7 line has been around long enough that the Pro-6 has been out of circulation for ages. Point of fact, I haven't come across a Pro-6 pack or head in rental or studio use in quite a few years. Though I'm sure it's still solid gear, I think it's probably lost quite a bit of its relative value.

Then there's the fact that the reasons why someone would own a Pro-6 pack and an AcuteB pack are totally different...you'd have to have made a grave misjudgement of your needs in buying one to want to switch to the other, especially given that the heads are totally incompatible.

I just picked up a used AcuteB 600 pack for about $1000. I wouldn't pay more than that for a Pro-6 pack unless I already had a couple of heads kicking around.

Apr 19, 2008 at 03:21 AM
bacilonur
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Profoto Pro 6. Worth it?

Simon, are you replacing your Porty with that AcuteB? Are there any more at that price?

Apr 19, 2008 at 02:34 PM
Jonathan H
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Profoto Pro 6. Worth it?

Thanks Simon!

Apr 19, 2008 at 02:58 PM
shatterkiss
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Profoto Pro 6. Worth it?

bacilonur wrote:
Simon, are you replacing your Porty with that AcuteB? Are there any more at that price?

Sorry, only one I've seen...otherwise I might buy a second one! I was skeptical about the value of the AcuteB when it was first announced, but I'm a convert now.

I'm hanging onto the Porty for at least a while - I like the idea of having a 1200ws pack with the ability to push 2 heads, but I also like a 600ws ultraportable pack that I can bump around the world with as a single-head flypack. On the downside, I'm using it with Acute2/D4 heads so I don't have modeling light or cooling fan functionality. I'm sure there will be an AcuteB head in my near future.

Apr 19, 2008 at 03:06 PM
bacilonur
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Profoto Pro 6. Worth it?

But the AcuteB heads are only 85W, right? Even if their efficiency is equivalent to a 150, I can't see that being very useful for a pack that's just begging to be used out of a dark studio.

Apr 19, 2008 at 04:34 PM
Klane
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Profoto Pro 6. Worth it?

bacilonur wrote:
But the AcuteB heads are only 85W, right? Even if their efficiency is equivalent to a 150, I can't see that being very useful for a pack that's just begging to be used out of a dark studio.

the modeling lamp is 65w equiv to around a 90w, the pack its self can put out 600w.

Apr 19, 2008 at 05:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

shatterkiss
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Profoto Pro 6. Worth it?

Klane's right, the pack puts out 600ws to a single head. I'm sure the heads are capable of more than that (all of the Acute/Acute2/D4 heads can take 2400ws to a single head), but it's irrelevant since they're designed to only work on the one pack. The lower wattage rating is just a measure of the modeling light output.

I've previously used the AcuteB in both indoor and outdoor locations. It really shines as an ultraportable outdoor location light, especially when you realize how easily you can use it to stash multiple packs and heads in out-of-sight locations on a shoot. Need a light behind a tree or under a car and don't want to retouch out cables? Easy, just give it its own AcuteB pack and PocketWizard. Really convenient for lighting different areas of a location.

Apr 19, 2008 at 06:03 PM
bacilonur
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Profoto Pro 6. Worth it?

I meant the modeling light, which is the main appeal for the AcuteB heads IMO, and is why I specifically referred to using it outdoors where you wouldn't even see the light.

Apr 19, 2008 at 11:27 PM
shatterkiss
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Profoto Pro 6. Worth it?

No, that's true...the modeling light is nearly useless even in a darkened studio. I think Profoto made that decision as a defensive move: modeling lights will drain battery packs notoriously fast, so they decided that they just wouldn't give you the option of running your battery down unexpectedly.

The funny thing is that the pack tries to power a D4 head's modeling bulb but only manages to make the filament glow vaguely. It's a little sad to look at. I believe there's an external AC supply option that you can use in the studio that powers a D4 head's modeling light and fan from house power while the battery fires the flash.

Jonathan, sorry for taking your thread off-topic.

Apr 20, 2008 at 02:15 AM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Profoto Pro 6. Worth it?

Even indoors, the AcuteB modelling light is pretty silly, but it does have one use for portraits: keeping your subject's pupils from dilating.

Apr 20, 2008 at 06:54 AM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Profoto Pro 6. Worth it?

Wish I could find another AcuteB for $1000.

Apr 21, 2008 at 03:14 AM
Jonathan H
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Profoto Pro 6. Worth it?

shatterkiss wrote:
Jonathan, sorry for taking your thread off-topic.
\

Simon, no worries, already got the answer I needed and backed out of the deal

Apr 21, 2008 at 05:32 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password