Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Weekly assignment 306: Overhead
Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2004 · #95: Anomalous Perspective

Jeff
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #95: Anomalous Perspective

Once again, I'm out all day tomorrow and Monday in training, and I'm not sure I'll have time to shoot any more (nor post anything later), so I'll leave you all with this now. Comments, critique and constructive criticism are appreciated (as always), and good luck to all on this first assignment of the new year!

Anomalous Perspective:

1Ds w/70-200/2.8L IS +1.4 TC II, 1/100th @f/4, ISO 800, EV -2/3

Jan 04, 2004 at 06:29 AM
jefflund
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #95: Anomalous Perspective

This has great shapes, lines and colors. Good job!

Jan 04, 2004 at 08:49 AM
dbphoto

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #95: Anomalous Perspective

Nicely done Jeff - I really like this one. It's good to see ordinary things in a new (odd) way. Good Luck!

Jan 04, 2004 at 01:43 PM
corvus
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #95: Anomalous Perspective

Nice angle on this one. Good luck!

Jan 04, 2004 at 05:17 PM
alanS
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #95: Anomalous Perspective

good eye great image. even the concrete has a nice angle in it.

Jan 04, 2004 at 05:39 PM
MarjB
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #95: Anomalous Perspective

This entire photo was so excellently done - from thinking of what to shoot and realizing there was a photo there - to the end result. Just very nice and extremely creative. I enjoy!

Jan 04, 2004 at 05:49 PM
John Thawley
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #95: Anomalous Perspective

Nice, Jeff... real nice.

I'm currently at Daytona Speedway... not sure I'll have chance to get something in... unless I stumble into a shot here.

Nice work.

Jan 04, 2004 at 08:03 PM
tazo
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #95: Anomalous Perspective

beautiful shot as I mentioned in the photo critique forum. Sure you'll make it to the finals bud :-D

Jan 04, 2004 at 08:09 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #95: Anomalous Perspective

Gorgeous! Jeff, time after time you manage to create an image that reduces an assignment to its essentials, yet has such fascinating subtleties that one keeps coming back for another look. Bravo!

Jan 04, 2004 at 10:24 PM
wordski
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #95: Anomalous Perspective

Love the tilt to the camera, gives it a nice perspective!!

-wordski

Jan 04, 2004 at 11:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

adamojr
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #95: Anomalous Perspective

Very clever use of light and angles. Took me a few seconds to figure it out which only makes it more appealing to me. Nice work.

Adam

Jan 05, 2004 at 12:59 AM
zcaley
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · #95: Anomalous Perspective

Simplicity and the essence of and odd angle! Well done

Jan 05, 2004 at 03:33 AM
chrispd
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · #95: Anomalous Perspective

great shot Jeff. Good luck. Chris

Jan 05, 2004 at 04:31 AM
Jeff
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · #95: Anomalous Perspective

Once again, Wow! I am surprised yet humbled by the positive comments from this image, and I want to thank you all for your words of encouragement. I sincerely wish I had the time to respond to each of you, however I just got home from a late flight and have a checkride in the morning, so I really have to get 'on it'. I will get back to this in a day or two when I can, I promise! That being said...

Photon wrote:
Gorgeous! Jeff, time after time you manage to create an image that reduces an assignment to its essentials, yet has such fascinating subtleties that one keeps coming back for another look. Bravo!

Jess: I just had to take a moment and respond to your comment. You must know that I take that as probably the highest compliment ever paid me by a fellow photographer here at FM.com, and I don't take that lightly. I've always tried to use the camera as a sort of documentary vehicle, and in the past I frequently sought out subjects to photograph that most people typically dismissed as ordinary and mundane (even 'trash'!). That you see in my images what I've tried to convey gives me a tremendous feeing of accomplishment, and I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to be so introspective with your post!

Jan 05, 2004 at 04:32 AM
zync
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · #95: Anomalous Perspective

Very good shot! I really love the colors and the textures of the surfaces!

Jan 05, 2004 at 04:44 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · #95: Anomalous Perspective

Jeff Warner wrote:
I've always tried to use the camera as a sort of documentary vehicle, and in the past I frequently sought out subjects to photograph that most people typically dismissed as ordinary and mundane (even 'trash'!). That you see in my images what I've tried to convey gives me a tremendous feeing of accomplishment, and I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to be so introspective with your post!

Jeff, I try to learn by studying the ways that photographers (and other artists) see, and I also think that introspection invariably plays a role in creativity. There are certainly gifted people who create incredible art works without conscious thought about what they're doing or why, but for me it never hurts to analyze things (as long as I also sit back and enjoy them!) So, I make my comments carefully (when I'm not trying to be funny to cheer myself up!), and you can always assume that they are sincere.
Maybe the simplest way to put it is that your photos seem to come from the heart - they are you! - which undoubtedly helps them to be as successful as they are.

Jan 05, 2004 at 05:11 AM
sflack
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · #95: Anomalous Perspective

Great depth to this shot, Jeff.

Good job and good luck!
Sam

Jan 05, 2004 at 05:23 AM
JHut
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · #95: Anomalous Perspective

Jeff... I saw your zoo shots in the critique forum and thought that they are all "killer" shots! You do really nice work and this one is perfect for the assignment.

Jan 06, 2004 at 01:45 AM
Jeff
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · #95: Anomalous Perspective

Sorry I couldn't get back sooner, and thank you all for your comments. Got weathered-out of the checkride today, so had a few moments to respond:

jefflund: Thanks Jeff, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

dbphoto: Thanks, also, Darrell, for recognizing in my image what I intend to convey with my photography.

corvus: Thanks, Ron!

alanS: Although the concrete didn't turn out quite how I wanted, I would've needed a tripod, and it was a very busy doorway leading to the kimodo dragons. Thanks for commenting!

MarjB: Thank you, Marjorie! It was the inverted "V" of warm light that caught my eye, and I tried for the life of me to think of a more appropriate title, but defaulted to something simplistic... Glad you enjoyed!

John Thawley: Daytona! Sounds like fun! I saw your image, and though I still don't know what it is (even after reading), I like it! Thanks again, John.

tazo: Thanks for the input here and on the PC, and your initial comment was right on...

wordski: I'm glad you enjoyed it! Because there were already so many angles in the view that I wanted to capture, I tried not to tilt the camera, but it just didn't work. People thought I was nuts with my neck all contorted with this foot-long lens in a 10x10 glass room (and dark, at that!).

adamojr: I'm glad you found an abstract quality to it. I wanted it to be just a bit more elusive, considering the close-up nature of it. Luckily there wasn't any trash kicking around the floor!

zcaley: Thanks, Caley, for what I consider to be a tremendous compliment!

chrispd: Thanks Chris!

zync: The color is not altered in any way; the dark film on the windows was a sort of purplish tint, and it really lent a sort of odd, dark feel to the light under the door. Wish I could've come up with a good title; reminded me of 'Alien', for some reason...

Photon: As stated above, thanks again!

sflack: I appreciate that you enjoyed it, and thanks for taking the time to comment!

JHut: Thanks so much for the fantastic compliment! Another I really liked from that day, but didn't even post (for some reason), was another of the giraffe while he was really going at it with this... uhh, fake anthill-thing (no idea what it was; maybe there's salt-licks embedded in it or something). I posted it in the N&W forum.

Thanks again!

Jan 06, 2004 at 02:21 AM
call_me Mike
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · #95: Anomalous Perspective

Great lighting and angles in this, Jeff. Love the start contrasts it has, adds a nice mystery. Mike

Jan 06, 2004 at 02:30 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password