Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Weekly assignment 306: Overhead
Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2008 · #289: Simpler Life?

Steve Spencer
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #289: Simpler Life?

Growing up we had many Amish neighbors. In many ways they lived a simpler life closer to the land and without the complexities of modern life. Yet, by my observation, their life (especially for the women) is not simpler in another sense. The life can be very difficult in the work and toll that it takes on people. This shot captures both of these aspects to me. Criticism and critiques are welcome.

Edited by Steve Spencer on Apr 09, 2008 at 01:41 AM GMT (Reason: Edited picture following helpful suggestions of others)

Edited on Apr 09, 2008 at 06:41 AM

Apr 09, 2008 at 01:02 AM
Steven Roberts
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #289: Simpler Life?

So glad you posted. This is a great capture. Being such a fan of the MOMENT and Candid shots, you really hit home and added something different than a lot of the rest. Nice entry. Good Luck

Steve R

Apr 09, 2008 at 02:06 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #289: Simpler Life?

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your comments. I am really glad you appreciated it and that you commented so quickly.

Best wishes,

Steve S.

Apr 09, 2008 at 03:28 AM
Bill Sutherland
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #289: Simpler Life?

It's hard to fault - in fact I'm giving it nine out of ten (well, nobody's perfect). Strange how we think of days gone by being simpler when in fact they could be quite harsh and difficult. Your picture would certainly make us believe that this is a simple life. Well done.

Apr 09, 2008 at 04:00 AM
Carrol
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #289: Simpler Life?

Steven Roberts wrote:
So glad you posted. This is a great capture. Being such a fan of the MOMENT and Candid shots, you really hit home and added something different than a lot of the rest. Nice entry. Good Luck -Steve R

Agreed.
This is a wonderful shot! I love it!
One tiny suggestion: You might want to "expose" her face a bit more (with the Burn tool) in Photoshop.
Great capture!
~ Carrol

Apr 09, 2008 at 04:39 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #289: Simpler Life?

Bill Sutherland wrote:
It's hard to fault - in fact I'm giving it nine out of ten (well, nobody's perfect). Strange how we think of days gone by being simpler when in fact they could be quite harsh and difficult. Your picture would certainly make us believe that this is a simple life. Well done.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the encouraging words. I really appreciate your taking the time to comment.

Best wishes,

Steve

Apr 09, 2008 at 05:34 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #289: Simpler Life?

Carrol wrote:
Agreed.
This is a wonderful shot! I love it!
One tiny suggestion: You might want to "expose" her face a bit more (with the Burn tool) in Photoshop.
Great capture!
~ Carrol

Hi Carrol,

Thanks for your kind words and your suggestion. Your people pictures are always fantastic, so I greatly appreciate the advice and tried to follow it.

Best wishes,

Steve S.

Apr 09, 2008 at 05:35 AM
Strad
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #289: Simpler Life?

Excellent capture, Steve!! I love how the B & W conversion makes the background so vague, yet it's still there if you want to look for it. I agree with Carrol that the woman's face could use a little more contrast, but then I think the entire horse and buggy could use a tad more contrast, too. Were it my photo, I'd have left a teensly bit more space above the hoof and the ears.too. The crop seems just a teensly bit too claustrophobic. i pick nits... It's a wonderful photo!

All best wishes,

Endre

Apr 09, 2008 at 05:37 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #289: Simpler Life?

Strad wrote:
Excellent capture, Steve!! I love how the B & W conversion makes the background so vague, yet it's still there if you want to look for it. I agree with Carrol that the woman's face could use a little more contrast, but then I think the entire horse and buggy could use a tad more contrast, too. Were it my photo, I'd have left a teensly bit more space above the hoof and the ears.too. The crop seems just a teensly bit too claustrophobic. i pick nits... It's a wonderful photo!

All best wishes,

Endre

Hi Endre,

I greatly appreciate your comments and encouragement. Your work has been an inspiration for me and I agree with your suggestions. I think since it is now past the deadline, however, I will leave the shot for now, but I do appreciate your very helpful advice.

Best wishes,

Steve S.

Apr 09, 2008 at 05:50 AM
Strad
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #289: Simpler Life?

I'm so glad you appreciate my comments, Steve! This is a fine photo and I really think it could be a winner. Looking at it again, I'd go a ltttle bit farther in my suggestion to crop it more open. See how the whip extends out of the frame? That kind of thing will tend to draw your eyes out of the photo and make you have to work to get them back in. It looks like the whip doesn't go much higher so you might have tried to crop it just so that it doesn't end out of the frame. In that case, the eye would follow it up but then follow down again to the subject of the photo. Tiny things like that make a lot of difference.

I suspect there is time to edit it yet, but that's up to you Fred usually doesn't close the entries until late tomorrow or even Thursday. The ONLY two times he's closed it on time were the two times I was a little bit late in posting. Once i missed the deadline by 12 minutes.

All the best,

Endre

Apr 09, 2008 at 06:02 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Steve Spencer
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #289: Simpler Life?

Strad wrote:
I'm so glad you appreciate my comments, Steve! This is a fine photo and I really think it could be a winner. Looking at it again, I'd go a ltttle bit farther in my suggestion to crop it more open. See how the whip extends out of the frame? That kind of thing will tend to draw your eyes out of the photo and make you have to work to get them back in. It looks like the whip doesn't go much higher so you might have tried to crop it just so that it doesn't end out of the
...Show more

Hi Endre,

Thanks again for your helpful suggestions. I tried to follow your advice (and Carrol's too) in the version that is posted now. I greatly appreciate your help.

Best wishes,

Steve S.

Apr 09, 2008 at 06:44 AM
MarcR
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · #289: Simpler Life?

A wonderful photo, with a "real" story behind! I like the contrast of
the subject on the washed out background. So many interesting
details in there, eg. the fact that there's a road. Great capture!

Apr 09, 2008 at 09:12 AM
Beverly Guhl
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · #289: Simpler Life?

Fabulous image; love it.

Apr 09, 2008 at 02:50 PM
Louis Simpson
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · #289: Simpler Life?

Very nice Steve... I read Endre's comments and certainly like the new one better. You've done a good job.

Apr 09, 2008 at 06:01 PM
Strad
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · #289: Simpler Life?

Super job, Steve! It's perfect now. As Fibble would say - Splendid!

I'm so glad my comments were helpful.

All best wishes,

Endre

Apr 09, 2008 at 07:01 PM
Carrol
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · #289: Simpler Life?

Steve,
This is great - The woman's face does not look washed out now, and the more open crop really helps.
Fantastic!
Finalist!
~ Carrol

Apr 09, 2008 at 07:12 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · #289: Simpler Life?

MarcR wrote:
A wonderful photo, with a "real" story behind! I like the contrast of
the subject on the washed out background. So many interesting
details in there, eg. the fact that there's a road. Great capture!

Hi Marc,

Thanks for your kind comments. I appreciate the encouragement.

Best wishes,

Steve S.

Apr 09, 2008 at 11:03 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · #289: Simpler Life?

Beverly Guhl wrote:
Fabulous image; love it.

Hi Bev,

I am glad you liked the image. I appreciate your taking the time to comment.

Best wishes,

Steve S.

Apr 09, 2008 at 11:04 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · #289: Simpler Life?

Louis Simpson wrote:
Very nice Steve... I read Endre's comments and certainly like the new one better. You've done a good job.

Hi Louis,

Thanks for the kind words and taking the time to comment.

Best wishes,

Steve S.

Apr 09, 2008 at 11:06 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · #289: Simpler Life?

Strad wrote:
Super job, Steve! It's perfect now. As Fibble would say - Splendid!

I'm so glad my comments were helpful.

All best wishes,

Endre

Hi Endre,

Thanks again. I have found that one of the great things about the WA is the generous help that people provide. Your comments to me this week were a great example of that spirit.

Best wishes,

Steve S.

Apr 09, 2008 at 11:07 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password