Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2008 · Left eye, right hand, or what?

Tentacle
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Left eye, right hand, or what?

icecreamboy wrote:
[...] Right hand, right eye, left foot....Dang, now not only am I taking pictures wrong, but I can't ride a skateboard either!

You can, you're just goofy

Apr 04, 2008 at 02:04 PM
maico
• •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Left eye, right hand, or what?

left handed right eyed,use right hand for aiming anything.still have the lumps from the nuns why cause they know left handed means your evil and are sure to go to hell

Apr 04, 2008 at 02:18 PM
pixelman
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Left eye, right hand, or what?

I've read it all and quite honestly with all this talk of dominance I was hoping someone was going to post some Helmut Newton-esque style photos. We can't have three pages of dominance and no signs of leather. Come on people it's Friday lets live it up

Apr 04, 2008 at 05:23 PM
Patrick Elliott
• •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Left eye, right hand, or what?

Tentacle wrote:
You can, you're just goofy

Ha, you got me on that one. When I think about it, the style for the skateboarder "dudes" in the area where I live is to wear girls' jeans. If I'm considered goofy to them, that's okay with me!

Apr 04, 2008 at 07:41 PM
BogongBreeze
• •
[X]
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Left eye, right hand, or what?

It seems that 85% of photographers are right handed. That's about the same as the general population.

But not so sure about eye dominance. This poll suggests 52/48 right eye/left eye dominance. On googling, one small study (not scientific) shows around 50/50 for eye dominance (similar to here). Another article said the research shows 70/30 right eye/left eye dominance.

Of course this poll doesn't necessarily indicate either eye dominance or handedness - only what people do with the camera

Edited on Apr 04, 2008 at 08:46 PM

Apr 04, 2008 at 08:44 PM
Tentacle
• • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Left eye, right hand, or what?

BogongBreeze wrote:
It seems that 85% of photographers are right handed. That's about the same as the general population.

But not so sure about eye dominance. This poll suggests 52/48 right eye/left eye dominance. On googling, one small study (not scientific) shows around 50/50 for eye dominance (similar to here). Another article said the research shows 70/30 right eye/left eye dominance.

Of course this poll doesn't necessarily indicate either eye dominance or handedness - only what people do with the camera

But, as I pointed out, eye dominance isn't the only factor that influences which eye you put to the viewfinder. Body stance does so too. So you can't use the poll results to test the dominant eye left-right distribution.

Apr 05, 2008 at 03:54 AM
Emile Gregoire
• • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Left eye, right hand, or what?

Tentacle wrote:
I'll help you out here Emile...

THIS ISN'T ABOUT LEFT- OR RIGHT HANDEDNESS

Sorry Had to get that off my chest.

It is in fact about left- or right footedness. Why? Read on...

It has to do with body stance. The terminology comes from boarding, be it snow-, surf- or skateboarding. If you're "regular" it means you put your left foot in front on a board. If you take a stable stance to take a shot, you do the same, left foot in front. The opposite is called "goofy" among boarders, when you put your right foot in front first.

The
...Show more

Dang, so I'm actually normal. That ain't fun.

BTW - shooting whatever I shoot, including wildlife, I have no problem with viewing the scene with my right eye. Just meaning to say: for wildlife shooting, or whatever shooting, it's absolutely not necessary to use your right eye to look through the VF. And yes, I'm shooting with a massive 1D as well. My right eye sits above camera level. Granted: I might not be able to see what's going on say one meter in front of me but trust me: in Africa, where I love to shoot wildlife, you'll be running long before it gets that close

Edited on Apr 05, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Apr 05, 2008 at 12:30 PM
Canon ball
• •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Left eye, right hand, or what?

Right handed, live view!

I am left-stanced but I use my right eye - I presume it's because I have slightly better sight in my right eye which I know because I wear contacts and each eye has a different prescription.

Apr 05, 2008 at 04:15 PM
DocsPics
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Left eye, right hand, or what?

I usually shoot with my eyes closed. (That might explain why so many of my shots are a bit south of "spot on"). However, when there is a gorgeous woman in the view finder, both eyes are wide open (jaw drops a bit also).

Apr 05, 2008 at 04:24 PM
Liscia
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Left eye, right hand, or what?

Right handed but use left eye at viewfinder since my right eye vision SUCKS!
I used to use my right eye at the viewfinder and found it difficult to switch
but there is no other alternative

Apr 05, 2008 at 04:39 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.