New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2008 · Polarized Sunglasses + LCD screen

Jmiller
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Polarized Sunglasses + LCD screen

I am looking at spending a fair bit on a nice pair of sunglasses. I was originally going to get some that were polarized till I got to reading a bit on the internet about how polarization can cause problems with people being able to see LCD screens on iPods and Cell Phones unless they turn them 90 degrease. I assume this would be the same for my 20D and F30. I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with polarized sunglasses and camera LCD screens before I went and bought these glasses.

Thanks

Mar 24, 2008 at 04:47 PM
carlsbadbum
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Polarized Sunglasses + LCD screen

With my Pol-sunglasses on I can't see the LCD in landscape position, but when turned to portrait it's clear.

Mar 24, 2008 at 05:21 PM
Jmiller
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Polarized Sunglasses + LCD screen

carlsbadbum wrote:
With my Pol-sunglasses on I can't see the LCD in landscape position, but when turned to portrait it's clear.

Do you find it to be a bother? How is the viewfinder?

Mar 24, 2008 at 05:27 PM
eos-m42guy
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Polarized Sunglasses + LCD screen

My prescription polarized sunglasses are just the opposite. On the 5D, I can see the LCD in landscape but not portrait. However, on my 10D, I can see it on either axis but blacks out while rotating between. Go figure. Must be glasses, LCD and possibly camera model dependent. Why not take your camera with you when you purchase them?

Mar 24, 2008 at 05:35 PM
Jmiller
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Polarized Sunglasses + LCD screen

eos-m42guy wrote:
My prescription polarized sunglasses are just the opposite. On the 5D, I can see the LCD in landscape but not portrait. However, on my 10D, I can see it on either axis but blacks out while rotating between. Go figure. Must be glasses, LCD and possibly camera model dependent. Why not take your camera with you when you purchase them?

I plan on doing this. I just wanted to see what everyones experiences are and how they got along with it. Also the store is in the middle of the mall so there is not much sunlight. I am trying to get a real world feel for what experiences people have.

I think the reason why its different between the cameras is it depends on where the polarization grid is and which way its facing. This wiki article has a great explanation and a lot of technical info too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarization

Mar 24, 2008 at 05:40 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Polarized Sunglasses + LCD screen

Polarized glasses do really strange things to the plastic LCD guard on my D70.

Mar 24, 2008 at 08:15 PM
reprobate
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Polarized Sunglasses + LCD screen

This strangeness is not limited to camera LCDs. I live in Florida, and wear prescription polarized sunglasses, or plain polarized sunglasses over contact lenses, when outdoors year-round.

I not only experience what is described above on my camera LCDs, but also on gas pumps, bank ATMs, and the screen for the navigation system which is built into my car.

The thing is that the polarized lenses are so good at cutting glare, as opposed to other high end tinted lenses, that I wear them anyway and just deal with the LCD issues.

Edited by reprobate on Mar 26, 2008 at 02:50 PM GMT (Reason: Correct spelling error)

Edited on Mar 26, 2008 at 02:50 PM

Mar 25, 2008 at 09:41 AM
Jmiller
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Polarized Sunglasses + LCD screen

reprobate wrote:
This strangeness is not limited to camera LCDs. I live in Florida, and wear prescription polarized sunglasses, or plain polarized sunglasses over contact lenses, when outdoors year-round.

I not only experience what is described above on my camera LCDs, but also on gas pumps, bank ATMs, and the screem for the navigation system which is built into my car.

The thing is that the polarized lenses are so good at cutting glare, as opposed to other high end tinted lenses, that I wear them anyway and just deal with the LCD issues.

So for you then Polarization is totally worth it and dealing with the LCD thing is just something you do and get use to? So its not that bad?

Mar 25, 2008 at 11:38 AM
reprobate
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Polarized Sunglasses + LCD screen

Jmiller wrote:
So for you then Polarization is totally worth it and dealing with the LCD thing is just something you do and get use to? So its not that bad?

It is for me, and I just deal with downside.

But you don't have to wonder whether you'd like it or not. Buy yourself an inexpensive pair of Polaroid sunglasses from the local discount store, and try them out. They won't be as fashionable, and the lenses won't be as good, but you will have experienced what the polarized lenses are like from day to day.

If you like them, and the annoyance factor isn't too high, you have your answer and then you pay up for the high-end glasses. If you hate them, once again you have your answer, and you look around for something else that isn't polarized.

Mar 25, 2008 at 12:07 PM
Jeremy Conoley
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Polarized Sunglasses + LCD screen

one more thing to think about, I've got some nice polarized sunglasses and an after market tint on the windows of my car, and you guessed it, some really funky dead spots in my windows thanks to the factory polarization on the glass, the after market tint and the glasses.

I don't think it's a common occurrance, just a combo of all the factors involved. Having said that I can see fine once I got used to it, and I won't own another pair of glasses that aren't poalrized. for me they make that much of a difference in reducing glare.

Mar 25, 2008 at 04:09 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Polarized Sunglasses + LCD screen

I was on the expressway last fall and the sun hit those huge green signs just right. The polarized sunglasses turned the signs all kinds of colors. Sort of like dropping acid all over again. Of course, I would never ever drop acid.

I wear prescription glasses, and wear polarized clipons. I'm in and out of my vehicle and into dark buildings, so changing glasses would be a royal pain. I have had only polarized glasses for years and won't have any others. Not only do they cut glare, but watch what they do for colors, too. Just don't wear polarized glasses when using a polarozer on the lens.

Edited on Mar 25, 2008 at 05:07 PM

Mar 25, 2008 at 05:02 PM
Rocketball
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Polarized Sunglasses + LCD screen

I use polarized sunglasses, and have for many years. That is the only kind I will ever wear. The benefits far outweight the negatives IMO.

I find it curious that you wear sunglasses while shooting..... When I am shooting my sunglasses are usually riding on top of my hat.

Mar 26, 2008 at 06:13 AM
carlsbadbum
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Polarized Sunglasses + LCD screen

Do you find it to be a bother? How is the viewfinder?

No viewfinder on my p&s SD870. And yes it bothers me that I can't see with my sunglasses on.

Mar 26, 2008 at 09:13 AM
Ariel Bravy
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Polarized Sunglasses + LCD screen

The glasses will also black out the LED's in the viewfinder as well, depending on orientation.

Mar 26, 2008 at 12:24 PM
Chefdaniel
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Polarized Sunglasses + LCD screen

Watch out when wearing sunglasses and sun behind you. Could give you bad exposer readings.

Mar 28, 2008 at 01:56 PM
northlander

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Polarized Sunglasses + LCD screen

What they need to make are sunglasses that you can rotate the lens like a cp. runamuk-do you wear the cool flip up glasses like my dad wears?

Mar 28, 2008 at 03:08 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Polarized Sunglasses + LCD screen

northlander wrote:
What they need to make are sunglasses that you can rotate the lens like a cp. runamuk-do you wear the cool flip up glasses like my dad wears?

I have to. I'd be all but blind indoors. The clipon flipups may not be ultracool, but they work for those of us no longer making fashion statements. I'm in and out all day long, and changing glasses would be a major pain.

With a polarizer on your lens, you aren't going to get a true picture if you are wearing polarized glasses. I have the diopter on the cameras set to my prescription so I can shoot sans glasses.

Mar 30, 2008 at 03:54 PM
Eric Gottesman
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Polarized Sunglasses + LCD screen

I can wear my polarized lenses and still use the viewfinder.

-Eric

Mar 31, 2008 at 06:48 AM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Polarized Sunglasses + LCD screen

I have found my polarized sunglasses give odd results with the lcds and finder views and car windows, etc. but haven't seen them cut out any finder display elements. However since my last pair of sunglasses, I've taken to wearing the blended bifocals at all times and that's had more negative affects with the camera than the sunglasses did - certain angles or directions of view can be doubled up or details lost. I'd expect clipons would aggravate that but would expect that you'd just need to try and could expect varying results depending on the different things you come across and maybe from glasses to glasses.

Mar 31, 2008 at 08:33 PM
papageno
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Polarized Sunglasses + LCD screen

FWIW many "clear" plastics are partial polarizers. Add that to Polaroid sunglasses and you see all sorts of artifacts like odd car windows, rainbows through plane windows (and elsewhere...) and the list just gets longer....

Mar 31, 2008 at 09:12 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.