New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2008 · 488RC2 Question

grip24
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 488RC2 Question

Was wondering if anyone here has this head and can tell me if your lens creeps down after you tight down?

Im using a 20D with grip w/ a 100-300L on a Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod

Is this something thats going to happen no matter what head I get,the lens is long and heavy, Im thinking is more likely the QR thats where I see some movement,can this be replace or will I need a new ballhead??

Thanks in advance........Ralph

Mar 09, 2008 at 02:42 PM
VertWake
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 488RC2 Question

I have the 488RC2 and it creeps horribly unless you really crank down on it like a vise. Even then it still may creep a little. I think most of this is due to the QR Plates.

No this doesn't happen with every head. I've used a Markins & RRS with QR Plates and neither one had any creep.

I've put up with the creep for almost 2 years, and after using the Markins and RRS I'm done with it. Time to upgrade.

Mar 09, 2008 at 03:11 PM
jhom
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 488RC2 Question

Yep it creeps. You can reduce the creep a little if you switch out the RC QR and use an AS QR. Once you move to a Markins or RRS, you will appreciate the quality. Little or no creep.

Jim

Mar 09, 2008 at 04:42 PM
hrs749

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 488RC2 Question

I don't think its the plate. I use a 468MGRC2 (same plate) and there is absolutely no movement at all with my 100-400 even with a 1.4tc attached, once it is locked down. I believe it is the 488 ballhead that is the source of the problem. Of course, you can't go wrong with the recommendations previously made.

Mar 09, 2008 at 04:54 PM
GeorgeM
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 488RC2 Question

I use the 488 with the standard plates. I do have some problem with it tilting forward after locking when using the 80-200 2.8. I don't experience creep just that initial tilt. I've learned to live with it but will someday upgrade.

George

Mar 09, 2008 at 05:13 PM
grip24
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 488RC2 Question

GeorgeM wrote:
I use the 488 with the standard plates. I do have some problem with it tilting forward after locking when using the 80-200 2.8. I don't experience creep just that initial tilt. I've learned to live with it but will someday upgrade.

George

Yes....Thats what I meant ...Once is locked is fine , is that initial tilt when is first locked.

Mar 09, 2008 at 06:28 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 488RC2 Question

Hi,

I have the 488 and when I replace the quick release with an Arca Swiss clamp from KirK the amount of droop decreased significantly. I think the plate is part of the problem, but not all of the problem. I hope this helps.

Mar 09, 2008 at 06:29 PM
grip24
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 488RC2 Question

Steve Spencer wrote:
Hi,

I have the 488 and when I replace the quick release with an Arca Swiss clamp from KirK the amount of droop decreased significantly. I think the plate is part of the problem, but not all of the problem. I hope this helps.

Can you give me the link to clamp...I might do that ....Thanks

Mar 09, 2008 at 06:45 PM
jhom
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 488RC2 Question

You can try ReallyRightStuff.com or kirkphoto.com. You need to realize that you will be making a committment to an AS QR system. It is definitely better than the Manfrotto QR system. But, it will be an expense.

Jim

Mar 09, 2008 at 06:58 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 488RC2 Question

grip24 wrote:
Can you give me the link to clamp...I might do that ....Thanks

I used the QRC 2 that you can see in the following link:

http://www.kirkphoto.com/platforms.html

I had the RC0 release before that was easy to get off. I'm not sure how to get the RC2 off. Perhaps others will be able to help with that.

Mar 09, 2008 at 07:20 PM
grip24
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 488RC2 Question

Steve Spencer wrote:
I used the QRC 2 that you can see in the following link:

http://www.kirkphoto.com/platforms.html

I had the RC0 release before that was easy to get off. I'm not sure how to get the RC2 off. Perhaps others will be able to help with that.

Thanks for the link....I think Im going to change it if possible.Anyone knows how to remove the RC2 from the 488??

Mar 12, 2008 at 10:22 AM
jhom
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 488RC2 Question

It has been a while since I switched the RC2 for an RRS clamp. However, if I remember correctly, I used a pair of strap wrenches to loosen the RC2.

My recommendation is to consider selling the 488 and buy a AS type ballhead instead of switching clamps. Although it can be done, you will realize the other shortcomings of the 488 after using an AS QR. In particular, no tension control and lens droop/creep on the 488. If you calculate the difference in cost, it will only be about $50-$100 more if you sell the 488.

Jim

Mar 13, 2008 at 10:43 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.