Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2008 · shutter button replacement cost?

Littlebike
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · shutter button replacement cost?

The shutter button on my 20d is on the fritz. about 20-30 times yesterday during a wedding it mis-fires, meaning, I pushed the button and it did not fire or fired with a but of delay. I did have solid focus so I know it is a finicky button.

Anybody ever have one replaced?

Edited on Mar 02, 2008 at 05:17 PM

Mar 02, 2008 at 04:21 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · shutter button replacement cost?

just fishing here how did you have your camera set to fire? as in fire only on focus and were you getting it?

Mar 02, 2008 at 07:46 PM
Jimbo Jones
• •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · shutter button replacement cost?

I had a hot shoe replaced on a 1Vhs body which costed me $65 I wouldn't imagine it being much more than that

Mar 02, 2008 at 08:53 PM
bacilonur
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · shutter button replacement cost?

I've got a 20D that has a nasty shutter, too. I have to push it forwards, not just down, to get it to click. Not really worth a repair, IMO.

Mar 02, 2008 at 09:45 PM
Charlier26
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · shutter button replacement cost?

I bought a 20D used as a backup, and it does that too. The seller bought me a new shutter switch and gave me a link to a site on how to replace it. However, WAY too deep into the camera for me to try. I'll probably end up sending it in to Canon. No idea what it might cost. Right now, I only use it for wide angle, and its working fairly well.

Mar 02, 2008 at 10:32 PM
Littlebike
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · shutter button replacement cost?

Re: Charlier24, please post that link.

I had it set to fire after focus lock. I know I had focus lock, it is just a bum switch.

I have never had issues like this with my 5d or my 10d when I had it, so I know it is a bum switch.

Mar 02, 2008 at 10:41 PM
robstein
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · shutter button replacement cost?

Seems to be a thing with the 20D hey.... I noticed my shutter button is getting strange at times - not firing or getting multi shots when I didn't think I thought I had taken my finger off already....

Mar 02, 2008 at 11:01 PM
jchin
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · shutter button replacement cost?

My 20D has 30,000 clicks and no problems. Then again, I do have the grip and use both shutter buttons. Maybe buying the grip might be a cheap alternative to a Canon repair, if the cost is too high.

Mar 03, 2008 at 02:17 AM
Littlebike
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · shutter button replacement cost?

I have a grip. I do not want to take all photos in portrait orientation or jack my wrists around just to take a shot.

If the repair is expensive I will simply buy a new camera.

Mar 03, 2008 at 02:02 PM
Charlier26
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · shutter button replacement cost?

Here is the link that I was given. I don't have the guts to get that far into the camera to replace it. If you find out how much Canon wants to do this, let me know.

http://doug.kerr.home.att.net/pumpkin/20D_Shutter_Release.pdf

Charlie

Mar 03, 2008 at 02:04 PM
Charlier26
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · shutter button replacement cost?

SOMEONE had to do it.....I'll let ya know how much Canon wants to replace the shutter button switch. I just sent mine in to them today. I confirmed that was the problem by putting the grip from my 30D on there, and it fired perfectly. SO, off it went. I know I'll use the body much more without the problems I've had with the shutter.

Hope it's not too expensive

Charlie

Mar 17, 2008 at 05:33 PM
Littlebike
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · shutter button replacement cost?

I am interested to know. I brought my 20d to work today instead of the 5d and noticed the lag again.

Mar 20, 2008 at 12:22 PM
cftofu2k
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · shutter button replacement cost?

same with my 40D.. dealing with it b/c i need the camera. i also havbe the grip which fires flawlessly. will send to canon before warranty expires.

Mar 20, 2008 at 01:44 PM
minatophase3
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · shutter button replacement cost?

Littlebike wrote:
I have a grip. I do not want to take all photos in portrait orientation or jack my wrists around just to take a shot.

If the repair is expensive I will simply buy a new camera.

Just a shot in the dark here, but I have had my 20D with Batter Grip act up before, would not fire, then would take a few, then not again. It actually happened to me yesterday and the problem was a very simple fix. My battery grip had become slightly loose causing a faulty connection with the camera. It wasn't loose enough to completely shut off the camera but it did affect the shutter.

I tightened the little wheel and everything was better, fired another 200 shots without incident.

I'm sure you probably did this already, but if not give it a try, might save you some money.

Tim

Mar 20, 2008 at 02:06 PM
Canon 10D
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · shutter button replacement cost?

Littlebike wrote:
The shutter button on my 20d is on the fritz. about 20-30 times yesterday during a wedding it mis-fires, meaning, I pushed the button and it did not fire or fired with a but of delay. I did have solid focus so I know it is a finicky button.

Anybody ever have one replaced?

Never replace shutter button before. Give Canon a call, they should be able to give you an estimate. 1(800) OK-CANON. Good luck!

Mar 20, 2008 at 02:11 PM
awdirtdrifter
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · shutter button replacement cost?

My 10D just did this yesterday. In the middle of a shoot, and my shutter stopped firing. Focus lock and everything. Please let us know if you get an estimate...

Mar 20, 2008 at 03:29 PM
Charlier26
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · shutter button replacement cost?

Well, I got the bad news....Minimum charge of 290.00 + tax + shipping for a grand total of 325.00. I mulled it over for a while, but went ahead and had them do the work. I guess I'll use the camera more now that the shutter is working correctly.
The guy I bought it from is being pretty nice about it, he is chipping in SOME for the repair. (It came from him like this).

It should be done in a week they say.

Charlie

Mar 22, 2008 at 12:38 PM
rjk55425
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · shutter button replacement cost?

I had the shutter button on a near new 20D fail several years ago. I picked up the remote shutter release until I could send it in for warranty repair.

Randy

Mar 22, 2008 at 01:36 PM
bacilonur
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · shutter button replacement cost?

Yikes. I'd have just returned it to him, or tried to sell it to someone who didn't mind that. $700-ish to get a functioning 20D is just brutal.

Mar 22, 2008 at 02:33 PM
hexentanz
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · shutter button replacement cost?

minatophase3 wrote:
Just a shot in the dark here, but I have had my 20D with Batter Grip act up before, would not fire, then would take a few, then not again. It actually happened to me yesterday and the problem was a very simple fix. My battery grip had become slightly loose causing a faulty connection with the camera. It wasn't loose enough to completely shut off the camera but it did affect the shutter.

I tightened the little wheel and everything was better, fired another 200 shots without incident.

I'm sure you probably did this already, but if not give
...Show more

I had the very same problem as well when using the grip with this camera, turns out my grip was one of the faulty ones. ever since i had the grip repaired the shutter release was never faulty ever again

Mar 22, 2008 at 05:10 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.