New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2008 · Eneloop vs. Imedion: Notes

Greg Feldman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Eneloop vs. Imedion: Notes

I recently replaced all my non-low-discharge NiMH batteries with low-discharge batteries: some Eneloop and some Imedion. I haven't used either enough to say which brand lasts longer (though I suspect they're very similar), but I can say that the Imedions are giving me trouble in my Maha C808M charger--which is odd considering that they're both from the same company. The problem is that sometimes the 808 just doesn't recognize that I've inserted a battery. I can sometimes shuffle them around and get certain batteries recognized, but it's a pain in the butt and the Eneloops are never showing this problem.

Not sure if I just got a bad batch of Imedions--it's not really worth the time and expense to return them--but either way I think I will stick with Eneloops until something clearly better and still reliable is out there.

Feb 20, 2008 at 10:52 AM
Greg Feldman
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Eneloop vs. Imedion: Notes

Update: The Imedions charge just fine in all my lower-tech chargers. For some reason, it's hit-and-miss to get them to charge in the 808--especially in certain battery bays (leftmost and rightmost ones).

Any ideas why?

Feb 20, 2008 at 11:36 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Eneloop vs. Imedion: Notes

its most likely the button top is not making good contact. i have had the with maha batteries too. it is hilarious because as you stated they are from the same company.

Feb 20, 2008 at 12:29 PM
Greg Feldman
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Eneloop vs. Imedion: Notes

Interesting....

I contacted Thomas Distributing about it and they just said to send them all back and tell them what I want instead. So it turns out I'll exchange them after all, since I don't need to sort out the offenders.

Feb 20, 2008 at 01:50 PM
JohnJ80
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Eneloop vs. Imedion: Notes

I'm really becoming a big fan of these low discharge NiMh batteries. What a great technology. Up until now, I've been using the Eneloops and I think I'll stick with those. Had no problem with them in the LaCrosse chargers, Maha ones.

J

Feb 20, 2008 at 02:33 PM
AJ Nadershahi
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Eneloop vs. Imedion: Notes

I'm a big fan of Eneloop batteries. Have about a dozen that just seem to work. I can take a flash out of the bag and know it will have juice.

Feb 20, 2008 at 07:25 PM
robstein
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Eneloop vs. Imedion: Notes

Yeah... I am only buying Eneloop now as well... They are just so much better in the stuff where you just need juice and don't use all the time.

Feb 20, 2008 at 08:19 PM
nathanlake
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Eneloop vs. Imedion: Notes

Most smart chargers require that batteries be loaded in sets or groups. My charger has 4 sets of 2. If I put batteries of different types in a single set, they will not charage.

Feb 21, 2008 at 11:50 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Eneloop vs. Imedion: Notes

the 808 has 8 individual channels. the newer smart chargers are even smarter today with individual channels instead of dual

Feb 21, 2008 at 12:28 PM
hobbes
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Eneloop vs. Imedion: Notes

I have the Imedion and so far have worked great with the Maha charger. I suspect it's your battery contacts as sjms mentioned. Probably just a faulty charger or the Eneloop are just SLIGHTLY longer in spec to make that contact (just guessing) so you don't see the same problem.

These chargers and batteries are GR8!!

Feb 21, 2008 at 08:12 PM
Greg Feldman
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Eneloop vs. Imedion: Notes

hobbes wrote:
I suspect it's your battery contacts as sjms mentioned. Probably just a faulty charger or the Eneloop are just SLIGHTLY longer in spec to make that contact (just guessing) so you don't see the same problem.

If that's the issue, then it's not just the Eneloops but also Duracells, Energizers, Rayovacs, Powerexes, and Sanyos that are slightly longer. Probably more accurate to describe the Imedions as shorter, rather than everything else as somehow longer.

Feb 23, 2008 at 05:38 PM
jjlphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Eneloop vs. Imedion: Notes

I had a similar issue with some PowerEx's. The "+" nipple did not protrude out as far as other batteries, and in some devices with recessed "+" contacts (like the first generation of Apples wireless mouse), the PowerEx's would not make contact.

Edited on Apr 27, 2008 at 07:38 AM

Apr 27, 2008 at 07:38 AM
Greg Feldman
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Eneloop vs. Imedion: Notes

Since we're resurrecting the thread, I'll mention that the Eneloops have been great for the last couple of months.

Thomas Distributing was great too. They quickly replaced my Imedions with new Eneloops and even refunded me the difference, as the Imedions were slightly more expensive.

Last but not least, the 808 charger is terrific. I spent a while choosing between this one and the geek-oriented 9000 series. I'm very glad I went with this one. It's invaluable to be able to charge up eight batteries at once.

Apr 27, 2008 at 12:23 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Eneloop vs. Imedion: Notes

Hmmm . . . I've got both Eneloop and Imedion AA cells, and this is the first I've heard of any problem with the latter. I use the Maha MH-C204W, and it charges all of them without any issues. I've got the Imedions in my 2 Mac Mighty Mouse(s) right now, and the amazing thing is that they last about 3 months between charges, so I'm not buying Lithium AA's anymore. They all work fine in my 580EX II and my wife's Canon SX100 p&s, too.

Apr 27, 2008 at 03:11 PM
Kiron Kid
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Eneloop vs. Imedion: Notes

Just out of curiosity, I have the Duracell 2650Mah batteries. Being that they have a higher MaH rating, do you think they'd last much longer during a shoot, than the lower rated Eneloops. I too, am considering switching completely over to the Eneloops. I've got one set of them (Eneloops), but I've never ran them down completely.

Thanks
Kiron Kid

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:39 AM
Greg Feldman
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Eneloop vs. Imedion: Notes

Hmmm . . . I've got both Eneloop and Imedion AA cells, and this is the first I've heard of any problem with the latter. I use the Maha MH-C204W, and it charges all of them without any issues. I've got the Imedions in my 2 Mac Mighty Mouse(s) right now, and the amazing thing is that they last about 3 months between charges, so I'm not buying Lithium AA's anymore. They all work fine in my 580EX II and my wife's Canon SX100 p&s, too.

Assuming you can get them to charge, they seem to work great. I think sjms was right that it's just about the shape. I agree there's no point anymore in lithiums, nevermind alkalines or fast-discharge NiMH.

Just out of curiosity, I have the Duracell 2650Mah batteries. Being that they have a higher MaH rating, do you think they'd last much longer during a shoot, than the lower rated Eneloops. I too, am considering switching completely over to the Eneloops. I've got one set of them (Eneloops), but I've never ran them down completely.

In theory the Duracells would last longer on that one day, but that slight benefit is (for me and many others) strongly overshadowed by the benefits of the Eneloops. Besides, like you've noticed, the Eneloops aren't exactly easy to run down. And if you do run them down, you swap them out with your second set--which will not already be dead from sitting around....

Apr 28, 2008 at 11:58 AM
GeorgeM
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Eneloop vs. Imedion: Notes

What is a low-discharge battery? Does it not just fade away when not it use?

Thanks.

George

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:08 PM
Mark Sisco
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Eneloop vs. Imedion: Notes

GeorgeM wrote:
What is a low-discharge battery? Does it not just fade away when not it use?

Thanks.

George

Does not lose it's charge when sitting idle like most rechargeables. Read this:

http://thomasdistributing.com/shop/-sanyo-eneloop-aa-2000-mah-4-battery-pack-in-sanyo-casebrultra-low-discharge-nimhbr1-free-extra-4-cell-battery-case-p-287.html?SP_id=50

Apr 28, 2008 at 01:00 PM
GeorgeM
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Eneloop vs. Imedion: Notes

Looks like a very good idea.

George

Apr 28, 2008 at 05:35 PM
Kiron Kid
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Eneloop vs. Imedion: Notes

Also, I recently discovered that the Sony "Cycle Energy" batteries, are the exact same battery as the Sanyo Eneloops. Just rebadged.

Kiron Kid

Apr 28, 2008 at 09:08 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.