New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2008 · Tamron 17mm f3.5 & 24mm f2.5

pascal03
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tamron 17mm f3.5 & 24mm f2.5

Looking for opinions on these two lenses.

Tamron SP Adaptall 17mm f3.5

Tamron SP Adaptall 24mm f2.5

They will be used on canon full frame or Olympus 4/3rds SLR's.

Is the 24mm f2.5 considered sharp wide open or does it need to be stopped down to get acceptable results. I am considering this lens as a normal lens on the 4/3rds system.

Is the 17mm f3.5 considered pretty good for use on Canon full frame. How much does it need to be stopped down before you begin to see corners and edges sharp. Is the resolution good for a 1Ds Mk II SLR.

What is your opinion of these lenses. How much are they worth.

Feb 15, 2008 at 03:14 PM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tamron 17mm f3.5 & 24mm f2.5

I've tried many copies of both (and still own two 24's and a 17). A good copy of the 24 can be excellent, better than the best Oly 24/2.8. The 24's have a lot of sample variation. I've had better luck with the older version (no window). The older version is also built nicer and has better MF feel. My best copy has excellent sharpness for full frame. My other copy has better center sharpness, but lacks the same corner sharpness. Both are the older version, which also have the best color of any 24mm I've tried, besides the Oly 24/3.5 shift. Their main weakness is in strong backlight where they can lose contrast, but I've never had it flare. With a 4/3rd's sensor you could use a longish hood to cut down on that.

The 17/3.5 can be pretty good. I've found the newer version of this lens (without the built-in filters) to be better, but even it needs to be stopped down to f8 or more to get decent corner sharpness. Resolution is good.

Edited on Feb 16, 2008 at 01:06 PM

Feb 16, 2008 at 01:05 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tamron 17mm f3.5 & 24mm f2.5

I have not tried the 24, but my relatively beat-up copy of the 17/3.5 produces very, very good results. As Paul said, it needs to be stopped down to f8 (f11, ideally) for sharp corners, but they certainly do get sharp enough. From sample images I have seen around here, it is as good as the Zuiko 18/3.5. Or, rather, I have never seen evidence that the Zuiko 18/3.5 is any better in the corners.

Feb 18, 2008 at 12:01 PM
pascal03
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tamron 17mm f3.5 & 24mm f2.5

Thank you for the replies.

I managed to get two brand new copies of the 24mm f2.5 lenses and am considering getting a brand new in the box 17mm f3.5. I have not had the time to try either of the 24mm lenses outdoors yet (plus it has been raining here).

I did take a couple of sample test shots inddors with one of the 24mm lenses and found the color and sharpness quite good - impressive actually. Both of these are the newer "BB" versions with the glass scale window. While I do not have the Olympus 24mm f2.8, the Tamron 24mm seems to be generally good - definitely as good - actually a bit better - than the Olympus 35mm f2.8.

I am very tempted by the 17mm f3,5 lens becuase it is extremely compact and would provide a very nice walk around lens on the Olympus e410 or e510. The seller was asking for $275 for the brand new in box 17mm f3.5.

However, the 25mm f2.5 seems to provide a very nice 50mm FOV on the E3/e410 and I think I might just stick with it for now. Will post results later.... once I get to shoot in sunlight.... if winter eventually ends here.

Feb 18, 2008 at 01:42 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.