Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              10      
       end

Archive 2008 · High in the Arctic .. .. Eskimo !

Majik_Imaje
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #1 · High in the Arctic .. .. Eskimo !

Everyone, even some of the youngest boyers, are armed. Shooting accidents are virtually non-existant out here, and even in the village, but the amount of fire-arms out here, is obvious. Everyone needs some type of weapon, to hunt. but yesterday, we missed our prized Kodak moment.

The hunter of the day - (chuckle) it all happend so fast, we had no chance to capture this with a camera.

We were at the tent campsite, laid back, resting, this dude was lying on a sled, a flock of ducks flew so low over us, directly over us, in one swift movment, this boy's arm reached out grabeed a shovel and he jumped up in the air as high as he could, and batted a duck to the ground with one swift high arched swing !!. Hey how about that.. .. no bullets and I got another duck !!

Two crews are spread out over a vast area, we come together, near the lead opening, to set up the camp @ the lead, then there is more work to be done

May 06, 2009 at 06:01 AM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.11 #2 · High in the Arctic .. .. Eskimo !

Take the time.. .. get some ice, and fill this water hole, let it freeze, then bust it up (smaller)

People insist I am crazy, when I state that you can see, the curvature of the earth from out here. BUT, I have no way to prove this, except to say, when you look to your right and then look to your lets, it is obvous.

This image sorta shows, but you need that wide view (left to right) to really see this. I sure laughed one night recently, when watching the history channel, speed records, in Utah, out far on the salf flats, they said.. .. " it is so flat out here, you can actually see the curvature of the Earth !! (chuckle).

More additions to the tent area, lash up and connect the VHF radio, now we can communicate with other crews and home base, in the village.

Notice: the sleds, their position, it is critical, for when we have to evacuate the ice because of advancing ice. When it is time to killigvuk, everything is mass panic to get packed and get the hell out of here as quickly as possible, back to the safety of land. It is not a question of 'if' but a question of when !!

How many ? boats can you see

May 06, 2009 at 06:11 AM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.11 #3 · High in the Arctic .. .. Eskimo !

Father & son portrait ! One of our young boyers !!

Look.. .. wait .. .. watch & listen - always be aware of the direction of the wind. Constantly, this is critical and most important, it can change, at any point in time.

Yawn ! good morning !! Morning pow-wow meeting, plans are made for the day, people spread out all over the ice, 37 whaling captains and their crews.

Just imagine the force needed to drive these huge chunks of ice upwards, the crashing noise they make as the ice advances towards your location, is a scary sight to see indeed, - killigvuk - run !!! I hope to get some videos of advancing ice, from a safe distance w/ sound! You will not believe this ice show !! Not unless you actually see and hear the grinding, crashing!

May 06, 2009 at 06:24 AM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.11 #4 · High in the Arctic .. .. Eskimo !

It is getting messy, at places, we actually have to fill in these holes, chop ice, back to work, lots to do and acomplish to make this camp site safer.

You get the best tan in your life out here, with all the reflections of ice all around you, it takes about 3 days !! Just on your face and hands !!

Ducks by the dozen .. .. (chuckle) .. A duck was shot, it did a nose-dive straight down - @ a 45 degree angle, crash - right into a slab of ice, it stuck, the beak, embedded into the ice, the face torn, still moving- quivering, it was grabbed and neck snapped. That actually happend, you will just not beileve some of these storeis associated with duck hunting. side splitting laughter. We have some videos, hopefully tonight I can get these processed so that you can hear-from the natives- their stories!!

May 06, 2009 at 06:33 AM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.11 #5 · High in the Arctic .. .. Eskimo !

A very young boyer - in training - two years old !!

It doesn't take long, for a little child to learn simple things out here, especially when they are out here.. .. 24 / 7 for weeks !!

At least he does't have to chop wood & use 'sicpan' !!

Tent site or camp site

Those are two different locations, for each crew!

Two different sleds are needed just for sitting. One at the lead opening, the other up at the tent site.

This scene is timeless, ever changing, and never the same. FOOD is headed our way, we have to be out here, all set up - BEFORE they arrive.

Hundreds of people, embedded into the ice. waiting.. .. ..

Fredrick Brower - whaling captain for Eugene Browers crew - The Bomb maker, he also has a new nickname - Bomb proof ! Lots of accidents happen with these bombs. people always get hurt or loose something, Fredrick has had 3 bombs go off (over the years). you will listen on one of the video's of how he threw a bomb at the whale and it came flying right back into the boat, no one was hurt.

May 06, 2009 at 06:44 AM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.11 #6 · High in the Arctic .. .. Eskimo !

This scene is timeless, ever changing, and never the same. FOOD is headed our way, we have to be out here, all set up - BEFORE they arrive.

Hundreds of people, embedded into the ice. waiting.. .. ..

The shoulder gun bomb !! These things go for $1,000 bucks a shot I am told. That seems rather steep, but they are required by law to use these exploding harpoons, the Inupiaq do not like these, if you miss the vital spot on a whale, these things will not allow the whale to heal, as well as with the old style harpoons.

NOW... .. ... we are finally ready, believe it or not, we could be in this state (waiting) for weeks !!! sit and wait.. they will come ! All sorts of animals migrate through this lead, every year for many thousands of years, this just beats the heck out of standing in line.. in a grocery store!! When have you ever .. .. had this much fun.. .. shopping for food ?? (chuckle).

May 06, 2009 at 09:23 PM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.11 #7 · High in the Arctic .. .. Eskimo !

The bottoms of clouds always show you the area, where open water exists.

Wait & watch - all day long - the major work - is finished. Time to hunt ! & rest !

Excitement is in the air - anything can happen at any time now.. .. ..

and it did.. the harpoon bomb piece of wood somehow broke, Zacharia, is the only one who knows how to fix this. He is the oldest elder on this crew, He is down here on Eugenes crew for one reason - He knows the ice, much better than anyone else. These currents change, and not necessarly in the same direction as the wind, there is much to learn and understand - if he imparts that information, in an understanding manner for us to share.

May 06, 2009 at 09:29 PM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.11 #8 · High in the Arctic .. .. Eskimo !

Eugene Brower & The Eves boys a.k.a. Ma j i k I ma j e (Isaiah is missing) he is in Point Hope !

MarkAndrew (left) Jesse & Khris (right)

I am the 'baker' for this crew !! Naqachii (mix dough). Cheese, Onion, Jalepeno biscuits, That combo is their favorite, But Eugenes wife,said .. .. " I want you to make me some of those Onion biscuits that I have heard so much about. Hmmmmm.. yummy ! I love to make bread and just give most of it away, We do our best to make a lot of people happy, I (we) love to give !!

One of the greatest 'promises' I have ever read.. .. .. says these words.. (basically) (Malachi chapter 2) ... TEST ME .. Prove me wrong. Give... and I will give back 3 times, 5 times, pressed down, running over !!

I have been practicing this for over 50 years,, and ya know what ?? It always works !!!

Can you see the animal.. in this image

May 06, 2009 at 09:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Majik_Imaje
• •
p.11 #9 · High in the Arctic .. .. Eskimo !

A frozen, white world of nothing but ice !!! In every direction for many miles !!

The land of the midnight sun !!

We have to cut a trail from the tent to the lead, we have to move, we have to move more ice !!

Notice the polar bear mittens, 'crossed' behind his back to keep them in place until needed !!!

I want you to notice, the massive amount of ice, that was removed to create this site here at the lead opening !!
Remove it all, and throw it into the ocean !!

May 06, 2009 at 09:45 PM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.11 #10 · High in the Arctic .. .. Eskimo !

Look .. .. .. watch this .. ..

What a life.. .. this is just the most exciting time of the year.

Now we wait, watch, look, listen.. .. .. .. did you see that ??

All of the action, takes place.. .. at the lead ! This is our new home.

May 06, 2009 at 09:50 PM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.11 #11 · High in the Arctic .. .. Eskimo !

We are going to sit here and wait, for weeks, for the animals to arrive. !! 24/7 right here, right now !

What next ? Captain ??

Rest, where you can, & when you can !!

The avatakpak (float) is covered up,(because) the color is red, that is the only color forbidden at the lead opening. No machines down here, quiet.

May 06, 2009 at 10:02 PM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.11 #12 · High in the Arctic .. .. Eskimo !

These exploding harpoons require a lot of work and great care.

Last October, during fall whaling, two of these exploding bombs, went off, even though the safety was on. Lucky no one on the metal boat got hurt.

Calling home - " can you hear me now " ?

What a view.. .. waiting.. .. for food !!

May 06, 2009 at 10:10 PM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.11 #13 · High in the Arctic .. .. Eskimo !

Can I drive ??

I am currently working as fast as possible HERE

Thank You all.. .. so much.. .. for taking the time !!!

Train up a child .. .. in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it! .. .. .. 'book' of Proverbs !!

Lets play a game .. .. can you think or imagine what this is here for what does it mean

May 06, 2009 at 10:23 PM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.11 #14 · High in the Arctic .. .. Eskimo !

The reason for this is; that it is.. "your grave" meaning (anyone who goes near this spot). it is very thin, dangerously so. It is a warning in the simplest of terms. stay away !

This ice is 'tested' constantly by people walking around with 'pokes'. and this is just way to thin, stay away, notice the high marker ?? so it can be seen.. from great distances.

I dare speak the truth when I say, anyone can go down to the road on land and step out onto that ice. The only way to get out to any of the camp sites, you must be a member of a crew. People can't just jump on their machines and arrive and say hi ! Unless you are invited or have participated with that crew.

Behold the magnificent beauty and freedom of the Arctic !!

No noise, no crowds or pests or bugs !! Incredible freedom that you loose, as soon as you enter the village, you can FEEL IT , the sudden loss.

Lets go hunting.. .. ..

May 06, 2009 at 10:59 PM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.11 #15 · High in the Arctic .. .. Eskimo !

I am out to prove a point.. .. you do not need to spend 1,000's of dollars on camera bodies and lenses to create truely great looking photographs

a $200 dollar sony, Learn how to use (any) camera to its full potential !!

without a doubt, the most popular camera question on the scores of photo forums is.. New to photography - what type of camera do I need. ?? The answers are virtually the same on every forum.. Nikon users jump in and explain why Nykon is the brand to purchase, others insist that CANNON is the only choice. Lets look at this same question from just a little bit different point of perspective. I just got a new job, I need a car, what type to get A porchse, A farrari ? A corvette ?

When in fact: an old bug type volkswagon will do the exact same thing. It will get you to work.. ANY CAMERA will create a photograph, Learn how to use what you have until it cannot meet your needs !!

I listen and read about people arguing over lenses and huge prices and I am just amazed at the thousands of words used to make choices for as to which lens to purchase.

Let me tell you a little secret ( that most people DO NOT KNOW or are not aware of). #1 forget manufactures hype - #2 create images

I once had a store in Wash state - Kennewick Washington - D.E.E. photo center - David Eddie Eddie !!

Many times people would come in to order lenses for home darkroom enlargers. "OH I must have an el nikor enlarging lens. The cost in 1979 for that lens was 480 bux. I said, you do not need that lens, a $25 dollar Beslar Enlarging lens will do the exact same thing. OH nO.. !! HEAVEN FORBID.. I need this el - nikor.. Ok.. .. NOW... .. LOOK !! and I would bring up and place on the counter - 2 identical 11 x 14 color enlargemets. that were made (film) RB 67 and enlarged using a $25 dollar lens and a $480 dollar lens.

No matter how hard you looked, and compared, there was absolutely NO VISIBLE DIFFERENCE in what the human eye was capable of seeing.

Each print was identical, and oftern they would pick the $25 dollar lens copy of the print !! But they still went out and purchased the el-nikor lens..

Wake up people !! Save your money !!

Edited on May 07, 2009 at 12:34 PM · View previous versions

May 07, 2009 at 08:37 AM
Slug69
• • •
p.11 #16 · High in the Arctic .. .. Eskimo !

Excellent exposures...again. The whites are white and the creams are creams. Nice and the stories of course. Thanks for posting.

May 07, 2009 at 11:26 AM
       end

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password