Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              8      
       end

Archive 2008 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Majik_Imaje
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #1 · p.9 #1 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Well I am so glad you have enjoyed this thread Ariel .. guess what ? You are in for a real treat because there is a 'sister' thread on another forum.

High in the Arctic.. Eskimo

The whiskers ? used as needles, eyes are eaten by some people. bones are used for many purposes in construction.

the skin for clothing, hats, pants, gloves, vests etc parky's seal skin is waterproof and very expensive.

These people waste 'nothing' !! everything has a purpose, yes it is a most fascinating life every day, to think I was originally sent here just for 3 weeks to do a quick job, but I fell in love with the Arctic, and 30 years later I am still here. I quit that companyas soon as my job was finished, I wasn't leaving .. .. I knew I had discovered PARADISE !!

These people are just so .. .. .. 'happy' !! .. ... & content ! No complaints.. that is the first thing I noticed, these people just never complain !! That's what struck me as so .. .. ODD.

Another thing that is odd, and noticable, is the constant absence of hands. !!!

Dec 10, 2008 at 01:49 AM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.9 #2 · p.9 #2 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Where are all the hands ?? Inside the parky to keep warm !!

My hands are always cold, even with gloves on or mittens. I have no idea how these children stay out and play out all day / night with no protection for their hands, but this is the norm. and I see it all day long, and it sure puzzles me, I sure wish I could do that, I am tired of cold numb fingers !!

Dec 13, 2008 at 09:51 PM
frankson

p.9 #3 · p.9 #3 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Laurie was 17. Thanks for posting his picture.

Jan 15, 2009 at 05:03 PM
Sass Quatch
• •
p.9 #4 · p.9 #4 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Thanks for these wonderfully informative pictures. I particularly like the photo of the great grandparents, and am delighted to hear about the dental floss.

Jan 15, 2009 at 08:53 PM
John P Mulgrew
• • • •
p.9 #5 · p.9 #5 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Fantastic story!!!!!!!

Jan 15, 2009 at 11:57 PM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.9 #6 · p.9 #6 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Thank you John, Sass Quatch, and 'FRANKSON' - thanks for correcting my error in Lauries age ! My oldest son - Isaiah was very close to Laurie and we still speak fondly about him !!

Jan 24, 2009 at 09:58 PM
iamcdn
• •
p.9 #7 · p.9 #7 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Great stuff,

I live in the Northwest Territories and Yukon for 20 years, and enjoyed to lifestyle of the north so much. The Inuit people are amazing. You capture them so well.

Jan 24, 2009 at 10:03 PM
ShaneEngelking
• • • •
p.9 #8 · p.9 #8 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Great thread, thanks for posting

Jan 24, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Majik_Imaje
• •
p.9 #9 · p.9 #9 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Thank you iamcdn & ShaneEngelking, I have spoken the truth / w/ photographs to show & tell of life in the far north regions of the Arctic. I have lived & loved here, for 30 years time, It has been a time of great morning / sadness / grief / loss of life & celebration over the years, so many people that I was so close to are gone. Died so young, Forever etched in my memory of a 'people' that are the GREATEST (oldest)hunters on the ENTIRE face of this earth.

Any of these (true) stories can easily be verfired in many ways !!

It is my GREATEST love and respect for the Inupiaq people .. .. that have LED ME, into this labor of love, to publish .. .. their story, I have been an observer in a most intimate way, that very few have ever had the honor and pleasure to become one with these Incredible Inupiaq People(s) of the Arctic !! I have lived and worked in almost every village up here, and in village after village, the people are so kind, generous, I could never ever leave this frozen, Far North remote paradise of ALASKA !! - 'nothing out there in the real world'.. .. has this SPIRIT !

Jan 25, 2009 at 12:39 AM
bikinchris
• •
p.9 #10 · p.9 #10 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

I think these need to be in a book. How do you keep your chemicals from ruining?

Jan 25, 2009 at 01:50 AM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.9 #11 · p.9 #11 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Well I haven't used chemicals & paper since 1985, but is was simple to keep my chemicals from 'aging' .. I used GALLONS of chemicals and 100'S of sheets of paper DAILY !

I would go through 3 1/2 gallons (kit) of Kodak chemicals (prints) in about 2 or 3 days !

Jan 25, 2009 at 02:13 AM
MTBtrials
• • •
p.9 #12 · p.9 #12 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Wow what a great thread!!!! Perpetual sunset during the winter?

Jan 25, 2009 at 02:43 PM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.9 #13 · p.9 #13 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

The sun goes below the horizon on November 17th, It does not come back above the horizon until Jan 24th.. But we do get some light (1 1/2 hours) each and every day, during this time.

Jan 25, 2009 at 05:51 PM
frankson

p.9 #14 · p.9 #14 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

No problem. Laurie is my 2nd to youngest brother & that picture of him is really cute.

Jan 26, 2009 at 08:45 AM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.9 #15 · p.9 #15 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Thank you 'Tanya' I think your really cute also !!

Jan 26, 2009 at 09:05 AM
       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password