Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

3              8       9       end

Archive 2008 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

senna4ever
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Vericolor? I hope you've hoarded away a lot of the stuff!

Yep, I hear you. I exclusively used Tri-X souped in D76.....until I recently tried a 5 year old bottle of Rodinal. Well, the D76 went down the drain and Rodinal rules my darkroom now, but I have to learn how Rodinal behaves. I also use Ilford Delta 3200, and AGFA APX 400 for 35mm. I use HP5 for 4x5 only.

Feb 07, 2008 at 09:39 AM
PierreB
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Great story & images. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

Pierre.

Feb 07, 2008 at 10:16 AM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

I have owned and built 16 color darkrooms.
I made a ton of money teaching complete rookies how simple it was / is to process gorgeous color enlargments.

How to shoot from the hip, without ever using a light meter.

A small portion of #15, in Kennewick Washington 1979

http://majikimaje.com/drkrm15.jpg

Feb 07, 2008 at 10:19 AM
fstop212
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

these are fantastic

Feb 07, 2008 at 01:18 PM
maroun.c
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Love the story behind each picture and the lifestyle. Simplicity at its best

Edited on Feb 07, 2008 at 06:30 PM

Feb 07, 2008 at 06:27 PM
Steve Blagg
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Just about the most interesting thread I have seen on here.
Thank you so much for sharing

Feb 07, 2008 at 09:47 PM
Nathan67
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Steve Blagg wrote:
Just about the most interesting thread I have seen on here.
Thank you so much for sharing

Indeed!

Feb 07, 2008 at 10:18 PM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Thank you very much ! I sure appreciate those kind words. But the best is yet to come, on another thread,

These people, this lifestyle, these children fascinate me, like nothing else I have ever seen or ever experienced in all of my life. That is what keeps me here, High in the Arctic, now I am at the Top of the world in Barrow Alaska. I will return to Pt. Hope, I always do, but I have something to accomplish up here, and it will be finished very soon.

But these children, know only one thing, hunting, every boys dream is to grow up to become a successfull whaling captain, and some of them. are not going to wait,

http://majikimaje.com/images/newboat.jpg

Feb 07, 2008 at 10:19 PM
ontime
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

These photographs are incredible. Truly inspiring.

I'm not exaggerating.

Feb 07, 2008 at 10:59 PM
_Rob_S_
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Fascinating. You should seriously consider publishing a book based on this thread!

Feb 07, 2008 at 11:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Poseidon
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Thank you for sharing your story!

Feb 08, 2008 at 03:08 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

wow great story, that must have been a really awsome adventure

Feb 08, 2008 at 03:23 AM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Yes it still is.. those images were taken 1982, 83, 88 89 & 90,

I am still up here. I will never leave the Arctic. There is no more wonderful place on earth such as this paradise of the frozen far north !

Feb 08, 2008 at 06:58 AM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

I have so much fun walking around the village and finding more "models" for me to capture, and create.

These children sure make me laugh & at the same time feel stupid.

I am wearing a hat, gloves, boots, ski-pants, and when I came upon these three, well It just makes me wonder.

http://majikimaje.com/3GIRLSDOGs.jpg

Feb 08, 2008 at 11:14 AM
ScaryFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

A most touching and wonderful narritive and thanks for showing glimpses of life in the ice. The images and your stories speak of the respect and admiration you have for these people and I am most impressed!
Ute

Feb 08, 2008 at 11:38 AM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Thank you so much, Yes I fell in love with these people, that is why I continue to stay here, Imagine: walking, traveling throughout your day, and you never see a strange face. Everyone you see each and every day is a close friend. almost like family. That is the way it is in village life.

Everyone knows everyone, just like family. closer than family in some respects, we depend on each other, in the most dangerous of circumstances.

The childlren are what excite me, to find them unawares or to make them laugh.

http://majikimaje.com/600/happy-children.jpg

Feb 08, 2008 at 11:54 AM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Back to topic: Arctic models at sub zero temps.

Most of the clothing is made by the women in the villages, Expecially the colorful parky's they wear.

This has to be one of the most colorful parky's I have ever seen. Sophie Tuckfield in her newest home made Parky, She is a little shy and doesn't want to face the camera, Some folks have this superstition that your soul is taken if you let someone capture your image. Sophie doesn't believe it but she is reluctant to turn and look at me.!!

http://majikimaje.com/SophieR.jpg

"Blue Wolf" - Tony Weber, sigh, Tony was one of the best hunters in the village, expecially when it came to tracking down a wolf. He was the best, he was my landlord in Pt. Hope, I rented his house for over a year. One day Tony was down on the ocean ice, hunting beluga whales. A beluga whale looks much like a dolphin or porpose, They are white and about 15 feet long.
http://majikimaje.com/TW.jpg
Instead of Muk-tuk (blubber of whale) Beluga is Muk tok, It is really good, eaten with mustard ! slurp. I like this stuff much better than Bowhead whale blubber. anyway, Tony is out on the ocean ice hunting beluga and he caught one that morning, He had no right being down on the ocean ice huntnig, because 3 whaling captains, had died and their funerals were being held on this particular day, (all 3 captains died young from cancer). Out of respect Tony should not have continued to hunt.

That afternoon, Tony caught another Beluga whale but it was rather far out on rough water, Tony decided, I am going to go out in my one man umiaq and retrieve it., He was warned: Tonly don't go out there, it is too far, the water it too rough. Tony said. I think I can make it, and he went and paddled out. He did successfully reach that beluga whale and tied his umiaq to the beluga and started to paddle back to the ice.

The beluga "woke" up, and dove, bringing that tiny umiaq and tony down under the fridgid waters.
Word quickly reached people in the village and an all out search was immediately started, to no avail, about two hours later some seagulls were seen off the end of the point, tony was found floating in the water, he was brought back to the clinic and pronounced dead by drowning.

BUT: at his funeral, he had the biggest smile on his face that everyone marveled at ! He is sorely missed by me and many others. He was a very kind generous man

Like I said much earlier, the reason most people die in this village, is because they did not listen and obey the very last words spoken to them..

Tuzzy Nashookpuk - A very famous name in this village and others, especially Barrow. The Tuzzy library was built in honor of a very beautiful woman in point hope that died very young, from cancer. The goverment says (concerning the huge amount of cancer deaths in this village) It is because of tobacco use, It has nothing to do with the radio active waste they spread all over our hunting grounds.!

http://majikimaje.com/barge/tussy-nashokpuk2.jpg

I have all the models I want in this village, people are very cooperative when it comes to me shoving a camera in their face(s). That is because I always give them an enlargement or two for free.

http://majikimaje.com/barge/Gus K..jpg

Gus Kowanna, Lucky guy, ha ha ha. !! I wish I had a photograph of what happened to Gus.

Last year during whaling Gus bought a new rifle, He was warned !! do not buy that rifle, it is too powerful for you, NO! not put a scope on that rifle!
Gus didn't listen, he went out and purchaed a Weatherbee 333, with scope.
attached !
Gus went up to the tent area, to get something, he had his rifle with him, he went into the tent and left the rifle standing outside the tent. When he came out of the tent, There was a polar bear eating sicpan. Gus grabbed his rifle and ran, The polar bear continued to eat the sicpan (seal blubber), just outside the tent area, The polar bear stopped and looked at Gus as he has his rifle up and looking through the scope, Gus fired a round. That scope smaked him in the eye and almost knocked him out, the bear is moving towards Gus now, He takes much more careful aim. holds on tight and fires again. BLAM ! Gus got socked in the eye again, with the force of this powerful rifle, Gus is crying, he can't see & the bear is charging him. he has one last chance. In increddible pain, unable to see clearly he held on for dear life, squeezed that trigger, The bear went down, Gus got rid of that rifle that day. He had one heck of a black eye for many days. I will just stick to my .22 Gus said.!! At least this event did not have a tragic outcome !

Every tent, every tent area is set up exactly the same. it doesn't matter which tent you go in. everything is in the exact same place.

Here is a tent with sicpan outside the tent !!

http://majikimaje.com/TENTGREETING.JPG

Edited by Majik_Imaje on Feb 18, 2008 at 08:03 AM GMT

Edited on Feb 18, 2008 at 05:03 PM

Feb 08, 2008 at 08:28 PM
ronmark
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

Wow great stories. Photos are great too.

Feb 08, 2008 at 09:36 PM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

This is a "HERO" .. .. a genuine hero. who saved the day!

http://majikimaje.com/collection/children/ErinTyler.jpg

If you have downloaded and watched any of the video's, the drummer on the far left, is young Erin Tyler 10 years old.

May 2007. We had to evacuate the ice. south wind, Mass panic, 700 + people running for your life, this is no game out here, Life or death situations are part of daily living.
http://majikimaje.com/collection/children/ErinTyler2.jpg

This year (2007) we had an incident out on the ocean ice.. many of them. (one which resulted in a very tragic death)

but I will take the time to explain what happend to two people that were going down to the ocean ice. just after we had to killigvuk and evacuate the ice.. a few days later is was ok to go back down and a whaling captain Luke.. gave his new snowmachine to Robert Kingik (27) to take down to the whaling camp. He was also bringing down a new 10 foot sled made out of wood, brand new. Young Erin tyler (11) was the passenger on that 10 foot sled. Robert was driving and new snow was on the trail leading down to the ocean ice. a 7 mile journey that takes quite a few hours.. Robert didn't notice the ocean had a slush like appearance and drove right off the edge of the ice into the slush. Erin quckly rolled off the sled and landed on the ice and made his way to the edge to see Robert Surface and yell.. "I know I am going to die today Erin. see you.. in heaven or in hell".. and he went down.. Erin quckly jammed his entire arm into that slush and grabbed Robert by the hair. (your clothing is what brings you down like a rock). Some how he was able to get Robert back on that ice! Hero of the day.. ! young 11 year old Erin Tyler of Point Hope !! quick thinking and quck thinking again save not only his life but that of a grown man who was on his way to the bottom of the ocean. When ever someone falls through the ice or falls in.. and they get that person out, there is only one thing to do and it must be done very quicly.. time is precious.. the person who is takin out of the water must stand absolutly still while very sharp knives are used to cut all clothing off that person and leaving them stark naked standing on the ocean ice.! then others remove their outer clothing to put on that person and they are wisked off to the nearst camp to warm up and obtain new clothing!

Needless to say.. Luke the whaling captain was furious over loosing his new $12,000 snowmachine..sigh; in the arctic;.. what happens .. .. happens.. no way to recover that loss.!

Feb 09, 2008 at 02:07 AM
Majik_Imaje
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Arctic Models @ 30 below zero!

The bravest man I have ever met, His name is Wally Tingook.

He is my "model" for this true documented story.

Everyone in this village and in other villages (chukle) know Wally very well.

http://majikimaje.com/wallyB.JPG

The Man who lost his nose !!

Here is what happened "on that day:

When it is overcast outside, out on the ocean ice, changes in the ice are virtuallly impossible to see, Especially when you are driving a snowmachine, hunting, on very smooth ice, crusing, Wally took his eyes off the trail for just a second and slammed into a huge piece of ice wall, that totally tore off the windshield which cut off his entire nose.

Wounded, bleeding, in shock, Wally managed to pack his nose in snow/ ice and somehow managed to get his machine working enough to hobble back to the village a good number of miles.

Upon entering the tiny clinic, The two Eskimo health aid women saw his bloody appearnce and disfigured bloody face. The sceamed and began running in circles triyng to figure out what to do or how to do it.

Wally screamed: " hold the mirror", and with needle and dental floss, sewed it back on himself, with no medication.

http://majikimaje.com/wallyBig.JPG

Edited by Majik_Imaje on Feb 09, 2008 at 01:19 AM GMT (Reason: sp errors.)

Edited on Feb 09, 2008 at 10:19 AM

Feb 09, 2008 at 03:22 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password