Upload & Sell: Off
p.4752 #2 · p.4752 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Dec 07, 2017 at 11:56 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4752 #3 · p.4752 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hi Nick,

Yes, she's a case for sure! Her challenge at this point in her life is focus, she's like a fragmentation grenade. She's got you working on one thing and before you get that up and running she has four other projects going. Her verbal skills exceed most of today's college kids (probably not a difficult benchmark) and she's gifted musically to boot. In short, like the other 6, she's a unique joy. JR and Candace just announced "Number Eight", scheduled to join us in June I believe. There's no such thing as too many Grandchildren as far as I'm concerned, plenty of room at the hangar!

Remember the picture of Gracie and Charlie years ago that Thea liked? We re-enacted it on Thanksgiving, Gracie is a Junior in college and Charlie is 13, where has it gone?

Dec 07, 2017 at 03:47 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.4752 #4 · p.4752 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Naval Excellence......................

Dec 07, 2017 at 05:02 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.4752 #5 · p.4752 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Brother McGrath captured in Old Masters north window light..............

Dec 07, 2017 at 05:46 PM
Zane Adams
• • •
p.4752 #6 · p.4752 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim,

That "unusual perspective" of the Blues is amazing!

Dec 07, 2017 at 07:40 PM
nickjohnson
• • •
p.4752 #7 · p.4752 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Hi Nick,

Yes, she's a case for sure! Her challenge at this point in her life is focus, she's like a fragmentation grenade. She's got you working on one thing and before you get that up and running she has four other projects going. Her verbal skills exceed most of today's college kids (probably not a difficult benchmark) and she's gifted musically to boot. In short, like the other 6, she's a unique joy. JR and Candace just announced "Number Eight", scheduled to join us in June I believe. There's no such thing as too many Grandchildren as far as
...Show more

Well .... I'm not sure I can handle all this time machine stuff. From the Florida thing you did with Miss G this summer I figured she was about 13 (no kids of my own makes me hopeless at this stuff) - now you tell me it's the dog who's 13 Charlie is doing great by the looks of it. Next time you see him please feel free to give him an extra hug, from Thea and me.!

Oh, and just a reminder that the small self propelled devices at HQ will be needing an annual.

Dec 07, 2017 at 09:55 PM
USM IS
• • •
p.4752 #8 · p.4752 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I have always had the greatest respect for the Blackbird program and all those involved, from the guy that mopped up leaking fuel in the hanger to the pilots and designer. This gentleman and his comeback from injuries always impressed me and he is a good storyteller, this one I almost forgot. https://youtu.be/8AyHH9G9et0
There is a longer version of his talk. For those that have heard him, met him, or know him, I am jealous.
And he also is a photographer.

Mike

Dec 07, 2017 at 10:19 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.4752 #9 · p.4752 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Grumman Rumble..............................

Dec 08, 2017 at 02:40 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.4752 #10 · p.4752 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Good morning, folks. Just starting my Friday and looking forward to our first snow of the season tomorrow. Shouldn't be a big deal, but it's always nice to have some snow on the ground in December.

I'm curious if anyone uses an X-rite ColorChecker Passport to create LR or ACR profiles for your cameras? If I understand the way to use it, you take a photo of the color squares on location, and then use that to create custom profiles? I'm thinking it would be handy to have a custom profile for the three rinks where I shoot most of my hockey in the winter.

B&H has it for half-price ($50) today: X-Rite ColorChecker Sale

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Dec 08, 2017 at 01:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.4752 #11 · p.4752 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hi Mark,

I used to use an X-Rite Spyder to calibrate my screens way back when and it was a quality product. Screen profiles just kept getting better and better so I quit using it, but for the purpose you mentioned I think that system would save you a lot of guesswork. One is always throwing darts at the wall trying to guess what "pleasing color" is in those lighting situations, your X-Rite solution might just be a big time saver. B&H is so great you could get it, shoot a few games and if it doesn't do what you want it to, ship it back.

Have a great day and enjoy your Courier & Ives day tomorrow!

Dec 08, 2017 at 03:32 PM
nickjohnson
• • •
p.4752 #12 · p.4752 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

nickjohnson wrote:
If I have time I will try and do a modern version of that view - don't hold your breath!

There you go ....

Dec 08, 2017 at 04:17 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.4752 #13 · p.4752 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks Jim, you have a great day too!

Trying to improve my color management. I just picked up a Benq SW2700 monitor off their refurb site. So nice to have all that 27-inch real estate (had been using an HP 23-inch). Also replaced my old Spyder calibrator with the X-Rite i1. The screen is gorgeous.

Since I shoot a lot of games at these rinks, I'm always challenged in trying to make sure the color in all the galleries looks the same. I typically export the ACR settings I use for the first game, and then import those back into ACR to use for subsequent games in that particular rink. I think that works pretty well, but I may try this ColorChecker and see if I get better results.

Mark

Dec 08, 2017 at 04:22 PM
nickjohnson
• • •
p.4752 #14 · p.4752 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

.... and a quick and dirty pano ....

Dec 08, 2017 at 05:31 PM
CMYK Designs
• •
p.4752 #15 · p.4752 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Here's a few oldies from the 2008 and 2007 Jones beach Air Show...pretty decent stuff!

NIKON D300    400mm    f/5.6    1/800s    200 ISO    +0.3 EV  

NIKON D300    116mm    f/6.3    1/640s    200 ISO    +0.3 EV  

NIKON D300    200mm    f/7.1    1/500s    200 ISO    +0.3 EV  

NIKON D200    200mm    f/5.6    1/1250s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D200    175mm    f/5.6    1/1600s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D2H    400mm    f/6.3    1/1000s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D2H    400mm    f/6.3    1/1250s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Dec 08, 2017 at 07:56 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.4752 #16 · p.4752 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

What a relief, all the nuts/bolts/washers and fittings, along with the frame of my stabilizing rig is finally at "Armscoat" for finishing. I'm guessing that it might be between Christmas and New Years before it's finished, but the guy is meticulous so perfect is better than fast.

I stopped by to see our aircraft rental folks on the way back to HQ, they have a late model G1000 Cessna 182 that I have been wanting to check out in for occasional trips that come up. The women who runs the operation is a friend, she knows that I have several thousand hours in 182's so it's not going to be a big deal, but I have no time flying a Garmin 1000 suite. I bought a King course on the G1000 a few months back and told my friend that I'd dive into that and get familiar with it's operation, she said "come down the hall with me." She led me into a dark room that was filled with a Cessna 182 G1000 equipped simulator, apparently they had it installed a few weeks ago. There was an instructor just wrapping up a session and he had just shut the aircraft down at Austin Bergstrom, he smiled and said, "she's all yours...."

My 182 had a state of the art Garmin stack, but "state of the art" has a whole new meaning 15 years later. I went through the checklist and cranked the Cessna up, taxied out and lined up on the centerline. I've flown a number of sim's, Lear 55, GV, Phenom 300, even a Southwest 737-800 when I was photographing their new sim center at Love Field. Sickest I've ever been in an "aircraft" was in the Lear 55 sim, shooting dozens of approaches. All of those jet sims were full motion and, of course the 182 model has no motion, but they all play with your middle ear. No matter how accurate the simulation is, the darn things mess with one's physiology because what you're seeing is amazingly accurate, but there is still a gap in what you are seeing and what your senses are telling you. I left the Lear sim covered in sweat and about the color of a pale green sheet. My mistake was keeping my eyes open as my instructor zoomed me back to the outer marker a dozen times so we could reply the approach, definitely not a good practice.

So, now alone in the sim room, I launched off and climbed up to 3,500', dialed in McKinney on the big Nav display to my right, and proceeded to learn. Surprisingly, for about 15 minutes i drifted 5 to 10 degrees in heading and my altitude was up and down by 2-300', but then my scan synced and heading and altitude looked like they had been paused, dead on. I had a couple of hours to kill so I flew back to KTKI in real time with a few steep turns, Lazy Eights, power on/off stalls thrown in for good measure. The sim was much more difficult to fly than the real aircraft, that's kind of the way simulators are for some reason or other. Just under two hours later the centerline of 18/36 at McKinney rolled into view and we touched down uneventfully, soooo much fun. I'll spend a couple of hours with my King course over the weekend and then Chili and I will go check out in the real thing next week. Technology, it's amazing, I was as riveted flying that sim as I would have been in the real thing, forgetting completely that I was in a seat that was bolted to an office floor, and the adrenaline rush when the left wing dropped in the the power on stall was very familiar.

Dec 09, 2017 at 02:57 AM
ELinder
• • •
p.4752 #17 · p.4752 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Wow, that must be some rental place if they can justify that kind of sim for a 182. Isn't the tech amazing? I remember starting out my instrument ticket, and the first time I sat in a helicopter that had an RNAV and GPS setup (no map yet, just an alphanumeric display) I was amazed at how advanced the nav equipment had gotten. Ha! We ain't seen nothin' yet, as the saying goes.

Erich

Dec 09, 2017 at 03:32 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.4752 #18 · p.4752 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Yup! Remember wrestling a sectional in flight and trying to parse the info needed? Omni? All of that flashed through my mind as I watched all that tech in the sim. I decided today that whatever I might get down the road, it needs to have a system like that in it. The amount of information available at a glance is simply amazing.

Dec 09, 2017 at 03:47 AM
nickjohnson
• • •
p.4752 #19 · p.4752 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Yup! Remember wrestling a sectional in flight and trying to parse the info needed? Omni? All of that flashed through my mind as I watched all that tech in the sim. I decided today that whatever I might get down the road, it needs to have a system like that in it. The amount of information available at a glance is simply amazing.

Ahh, now there's a thing. I look at that sim footage and all I see is data. You, as a pilot look at it and see information - where information = data + human understanding.

I'm writing this in the relative safety of my man cave. I've put up the Christmas tree and spread it's branches. I'm now quietly waiting for my domestic stylist to make the necessary adjustments and - eventually - approve a first fit of the lights. I've had a stern word with the lights, in the hope of avoiding last years 10 minute "domestic".

The Christmas food shopping is going well. We have Christmas pudding, Stolen, Pantone, and smelly cheese done for. Mince pies and (yet more) booze to follow. I'm going to have to do an awful lot of walking - again!

Dec 09, 2017 at 12:08 PM
JayDavis
• • • •
p.4752 #20 · p.4752 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Every now and then a blind nut gets a squirrel!

Yesterday, while preparing the Bombardier Challenger 600 series jet for photographs, Fifi, took off and then flew around the DFW area for a while, before landing again.

Shot it with my 24-70mm lens, which is all I had handy, at the time.

As some people say, the best camera you have, is the one in your hand.

Dec 09, 2017 at 02:50 PM
1       2       3              4751      
       4753              4773       4774       end

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              4751      
       4753              4773       4774       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password