yup!

Nov 08, 2017 at 02:45 AM
thetaobear
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4735 #2 · p.4735 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe you can elaborate a bit to get the best advice - are you looking to photograph what you are experiencing in your aircraft, or are you trying to photograph another plane flying in formation with you?

> there are other planes flying in formation

What does your pilot have to say?

> He suggested gopro, but if I have a way to "hold on," then he says go for it.

I would think he or she has the best idea of what you'll be going through, how hard it will be to hold on, and what he or she wants to potentially be flying around in the cockpit?

> Yeah, maybe I should ask him more questions! Thanks!

Good luck, expect someone that really knows what they are talking about to chime in soon.

Nov 08, 2017 at 02:47 AM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.4735 #3 · p.4735 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

thetaobear wrote:
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe you can elaborate a bit to get the best advice - are you looking to photograph what you are experiencing in your aircraft, or are you trying to photograph another plane flying in formation with you?

> there are other planes flying in formation

What does your pilot have to say?

> He suggested gopro, but if I have a way to "hold on," then he says go for it.

I would think he or she has the best idea of what you'll be going through, how hard it will be to hold on, and what he or
...Show more

I'm a little confused about what you're doing, and what you're asking.

You're flying in a Super D doing aerobatics? Are you in formation with another airplane?

Is the goal to get photos of the other airplane?

How well do you know these pilots, and are they flying a pre-rehearsed sequence of some kind?

Glenn

Nov 08, 2017 at 04:34 AM
thetaobear
• •
p.4735 #4 · p.4735 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hi Glenn,

You're flying in a Super D doing aerobatics?
> Yes, I will be in the Super D doing aerobatics

Are you in formation with another airplane?
> Yes, there will be other planes in formation

Is the goal to get photos of the other airplane?
> Yup, I am trying to take photos of the other planes

How well do you know these pilots, and are they flying a pre-rehearsed sequence of some kind?
> I know the pilot well but never ridden on the plane with him. They will be flying impromptu, not pre-rehearsed.

I am asking if I should bring my DSLR equipment to capture the other planes. If so, what lens I should bring given the constrained space and also if I need to bring any straps, etc. to make sure my equipment doesn't bounce around in the plane. I just never done this before and wonder what I should prepare for the shoot.

Nov 08, 2017 at 06:40 AM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.4735 #5 · p.4735 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

thetaobear wrote:
They will be flying impromptu, not pre-rehearsed.

For me this is a red flag.
Have the pilots flown formation together before? Have they flown formation aerobatics together before?

If the answer to either of these questions is NO then I would seriously consider not doing this from a safety perspective.

Nov 08, 2017 at 10:38 AM
JayDavis
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4735 #6 · p.4735 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Got this nice, special scheme as the golden sun was starting to fade during my recent trip to LAX.

Off to San Antonio to photograph a Citation.

I hope everyone has a great Wednesday!

Nov 08, 2017 at 11:35 AM
futurshox
• • • •
p.4735 #7 · p.4735 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thetaobear, correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds to me like (a) your pilots have never done this before and (b) you haven't flown in an plane doing aerobatics before. Add in a few pounds of untethered hefty camera gear and you've got a potential recipe for disaster.

If you are excited about getting an aerobatic ride, I get that - ask your friend if he will take you up on your own, without the other plane. Then you can enjoy the thousand new sensations and excitement, without the distraction of having to take pictures in such an unfamiliar environment.

If they are adamant about doing an unpracticed formation flight, then consider attaching your GoPro firmly to a frame pole (I think Decathlons have exposed frame inside the cabin, don't they?), coating the attachment with Gaffer tape, add some more tape, and let them fly without you. (and I do mean proper $30/roll Gaffer tape, not Duck tape, it is stickier and peels off without residue)

It's not just about taking extra camera straps; you're going to have gravity pulling in all sorts of unexpected ways, and the weight of a DSLR swinging around could get away from you, not to mention anything distracting the pilot is not going to help. There's a reason that the pros spend thousands of dollars in anti-vibration/stabilization rigs.

How far away is the other plane expected to be? A 28-104 lens is generally useful, to actually answer your question. If you can get them to park on the tarmac in the expected distance apart, then you can try it on the ground. You won't have the room in the cockpit to swing anything much longer, anyway.

But as others have said and no doubt will say, this doesn't sound like a good idea in the first place. Best of luck.

Nov 08, 2017 at 01:18 PM
ELinder
• • •
p.4735 #8 · p.4735 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I'll chime in here about asking the pilots many more safety related questions first. This kind of impromptu flight has many risks. As for cameras, unless you've already done a lot of aerobatics flights, definitely do not take a dslr. First time thru, you'll be overwhelmed with the new sensations and trying to keep the camera from flying all over the place, let alone concentrating on getting pics of another plane. Again, it's also a safety thing. If that camera starts flying around, things can go bad very quickly. I'd also recommend fix mounting the GoPro at an angle to possibly see the other aircraft and just enjoy the experience if you decide to fly along.

You may think we're being overly cautious, but quite a few of us have been around aviation long enough to lose friends when things don't go as planned.

Erich

Nov 08, 2017 at 03:06 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.4735 #9 · p.4735 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Dear Michael,

There is nothing I can add to this that the good folks here haven't shared with you. Know that all of the comments/advice that you've received isn't from a bunch of people wanting to quash your excitement over this opportunity, they are genuinely concerned about your safety and they're pretty familiar with the risks/rewards involved.

Normally the questions we get are about a couple of people wanting to go do their first air to air photography/videography, kind of "my buddy has an airplane and I'm going up in another guy's plane to shoot him, what do I do?" The knee jerk answer, borne from the thousands of hours of experience that resides here, is "please don't do that". Your scenario adds a couple more dimensions to the equation, shooting aerobatics for the first time and formation aerobatics. Honestly, there are probably three or four people on the face of the earth that I would entertain doing the shoot you are describing with, Sean Tucker, Michael Goulian, Rob Holland, and Skip Stewart. If at least two of those names aren't on your participant list I'd thank your friends for the offer and go shoot something less lethal. I know it's tempting to try something like this but what you are looking at doing is more dangerous than you can imagine at this point. There are a zillion ways to mount POV cameras to struts these days, Erich's and Jo Hunter's suggestions are really good, and will most likely get you the footage you are looking for and reduces the negative possibilities tremendously.

All that being said, welcome to MA2A and we look forward to seeing your shots/footage.

JW

Nov 08, 2017 at 04:50 PM
ELinder
• • •
p.4735 #10 · p.4735 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JamesG wrote:
Attended a night shoot with Avro Lancaster NX611 'Just Jane' last night. By chance the local air ambulance was conducting a training flight at the airfield and kindly agreed that when they departed they would illuminate the lanc briefly from above with their searchlight.

Fairly happy with how this turned out and makes getting home at 3am worthwhile!

https://www.jamesgoggin.com/forum/17/JG-17-102914-Edit.jpg

James, I keep going back to this fabulous image. I can see it being used for the basis of a story, a sort of "called Home from their final flight" kind of thing.

Erich

Nov 08, 2017 at 06:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gerov
• • • • •
p.4735 #11 · p.4735 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

ELinder wrote:
James, I keep going back to this fabulous image. I can see it being used for the basis of a story, a sort of "called Home from their final flight" kind of thing.

Erich

I would agree with Erich - this is an image I keep coming back to,and with a similar interpretation. Kudos from the air ambulance for their kind gesture.

Gero

Nov 08, 2017 at 07:20 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.4735 #12 · p.4735 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I just read an article on people using drones with lights/strobes attached to get similar effects. Much simpler to have an EC135 spooled up to do it though Of course the article didn't take the whole drone/airport/airspace/night flight thing into consideration, all of which are deal breakers at the moment.

Nov 08, 2017 at 07:41 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.4735 #13 · p.4735 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Had a dinner meeting with one of my clients night before last who has been very concerned that I might be thinking about retiring. In advance of the meeting and the reason they called it, was to offer me a very lucrative 7 figure deal over the next few years, and beyond if I'm willing and able. So, Lord willing, I'll just continue to be in denial over these birthday numbers and keep on keepin' on!

Nov 08, 2017 at 07:48 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.4735 #14 · p.4735 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks Anwar! I like it pretty much too! Just finished a 21 hour day in Houston being chased by the incoming cold front. Decided that I wanted to sleep in my own bed and not drive home in the cold rain today so I launched out for Dallas when I was done. The plan worked because I'm Photoshopping in my favorite chair in front of a nice warm fire with my favorite girl.

My last shot as the front was rolling into Houston last night......... ( a new product designed for downsizers and the folks who don't have a discretionary million bucks + sitting around. The glass on the left is a sales center and would normally be garage space in the actual home)

Nov 08, 2017 at 08:10 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.4735 #15 · p.4735 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Now this is going to be a pretty cool aircraft, though it won't sell for a couple hundred grand like it's predecessor.

https://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Aero-Vodochody-Selecting-Suppliers-for-New-L-39NG-229882-1.html

Nov 09, 2017 at 12:06 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.4735 #16 · p.4735 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Someone just sent me a youtube video of the icon crash that killed the baseball star yesterday. I guess that when I was back in high school I could swear toe to to with most of my friends, but does it bother anyone else that language seems to have devolved to a level that it's difficult to come to grips with? If the language from the stoner taking the video doesn't completely have you losing faith in humanity, the string of comments following the post will. A guy is out having fun in his new airplane, obviously he made a mistake somewhere and it cost him his life, then come the comments. An occasional RIP is lost in the sea of profanity and ridiculously heartless, rude, thoughtless comments. What is the matter with us? Tell me that this isn't what we've become and that this is a tiny segment of the population who have had their human sensibility exponged from too much of some energy drink or something. I just do not want to believe that the majority of us have become what we look like on the web, it's downright demoralizing..........actually that is the perfect word for the syndrome........."demoralized". I don't mean this in a preachy way, just a milk of human kindness way.

This little conversation may well be the last best place on the web, where, with only a very rare exception, everyone who joins us brings their better selves and buoys the entire group. God bless you all for being those kinds of people and for giving everyone who visits a glimpse of what we were created to be. If we could bottle this place we could all retire tomorrow, and more importantly, the world would be a better place.

Nov 09, 2017 at 04:06 AM
nrferguson
• • • •
p.4735 #17 · p.4735 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Someone just sent me a youtube video of the icon crash that killed the baseball star yesterday. I guess that when I was back in high school I could swear toe to to with most of my friends, but does it bother anyone else that language seems to have devolved to a level that it's difficult to come to grips with? If the language from the stoner taking the video doesn't completely have you losing faith in humanity, the string of comments following the post will. A guy is out having fun in his new airplane, obviously he made a
...Show more
Jim I couldn't agree more - I just console myself with the fact that most of them are ignorant (there was one the other day who repeatedly ie not a typo wrote 'thort' instead of 'thought') Also with the thought that - The Internet is the proof that if you put a million monkeys in front of a million keyboards you will NOT get the complete works of Shakespeare! What worries me more is that people such as my daughters and some female friends in the 60s and 70s may not use profanities in their Facebook posts, but are happy to share others' posts containing them!

Nov 09, 2017 at 09:26 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.4735 #18 · p.4735 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Exactly Niall, which is really just endorsing it. A long way from the complete works of Shakespeare for sure.

Nov 09, 2017 at 01:27 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.4735 #19 · p.4735 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Not a bad ride for a quick meeting on the east coast today....................

Nov 09, 2017 at 02:52 PM
alawadhi
• • •
p.4735 #20 · p.4735 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Someone just sent me a youtube video of the icon crash that killed the baseball star yesterday. I guess that when I was back in high school I could swear toe to to with most of my friends, but does it bother anyone else that language seems to have devolved to a level that it's difficult to come to grips with? If the language from the stoner taking the video doesn't completely have you losing faith in humanity, the string of comments following the post will. A guy is out having fun in his new airplane, obviously he made a
...Show more

aaaaah!

Nov 09, 2017 at 06:56 PM
1       2       3              4734      
       4736              4739       4740       end

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              4734      
       4736              4739       4740       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password