4261              4532       4533       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jan-Arie
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4260 #1 · p.4260 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hot Air balloon PH-DUB and crosser Emirates A380-861
MC 130 J Mildenhall

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM +1.4x lens    420mm    f/4.0    1/8000s    50 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM lens    300mm    f/6.3    1/125s    100 ISO    +0.7 EV  

Oct 02, 2015 at 05:08 PM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.4260 #2 · p.4260 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

RC-135V Rivet Joint

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM lens    300mm    f/3.5    1/320s    100 ISO    +1.7 EV  

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM lens    300mm    f/4.0    1/320s    100 ISO    +0.7 EV  

Oct 02, 2015 at 06:01 PM
Wrei
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4260 #3 · p.4260 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

^^^Jan-Arie, looks like it just taxied out of the paint shop. Very clean bird.

Oct 02, 2015 at 06:31 PM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.4260 #4 · p.4260 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Wrei wrote:
^^^Jan-Arie, looks like it just taxied out of the paint shop. Very clean bird.

They are well maintained and flown allot in these times see them regularly on the sbs radar screen

Oct 02, 2015 at 06:49 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.4260 #5 · p.4260 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

"The U.S. Air Force is shutting down operations at three Royal Air Force bases in England as part of an effort to downsize infrastructure across the European theater, the Defense Department announced Thursday.

Forces from RAF Mildenhall which provides aerial refueling to U.S. and allied aircraft over three continents and is also home to the 352nd Special Operations Group will relocate to bases in Germany, as well as RAF Lakenheath, the Defense Department said. The base has 3,900 personnel.

In addition to Mildenhall, USAF operations at RAF Alconbury and RAF Molesworth will close and move to RAF Croughton."
Full Article Here

Oct 02, 2015 at 08:30 PM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.4260 #6 · p.4260 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Story is still not sure at Mildenhall they are still making new infra structure new taxiways etc. that is also the case at Lakenheath the rumours are that they expect the first F35 by the end of the year but time will tell personally I don't think the Germans will be to happy if they move Mildenhall to them we will see were the story goes..

Oct 02, 2015 at 08:39 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4260 #7 · p.4260 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Well Sir Donald,

Kind of depends on the mission. A normal air to air with one subject generally yields between three and four hundred images. Sometimes when the mission is more complex, or the air is dicey, I'll shoot a couple thousand files. The D810 captures around 600 images on a 32 GB CF, the 1DX will grab over a thousand. The D810 at 5 fps takes much longer to fill a card than the X which will do it in a blink if you let it run.

All of those numbers are a bit more than a few 4x5 sheet holders, but I've been there, then transitioned to something with gobs of frames, A Blad with a 220 back! These young whippersnappers have no idea of how good they have it, those of us that know should form an elite society amongst ourselves.

Edited on Oct 03, 2015 at 04:47 AM · View previous versions

Oct 02, 2015 at 08:44 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.4260 #8 · p.4260 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Wait, they are making improvements at Mildenhall? I can assure you that is a sure sign the US DoD will move out. We were always afraid when new construction happened on our base. It was a sure sign we were losing a mission...and we would!

Oct 02, 2015 at 08:44 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4260 #9 · p.4260 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hi Zim,

Chili has a number of pairs of state of the art shades, just didn't have them for that pic. The answer on the Batmobile is "No!" we need a vehicle that has zero safety features, tops out at 130 and does the benchmark 0-60 in less than 5 seconds, like we need a hole in the head. JR and Chandler voted against me, but much like Washington, I chose to ignore the will of the people...............

I have diverted those funds toward the sales tax on my Aston and We'll get an expanded capacity tug of some sort that has the capability of pulling a PC12/Phenom 300 out of it's nest.

Oct 02, 2015 at 08:51 PM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.4260 #10 · p.4260 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Donald Gray wrote:
Good question! In my years as ch photog for Beagle Aircraft (nee Auster Aircraft Co) in Shoreham (UK) back in the 60s, I never did a photo sortie with the side door on. Leaning out with a heavy Ross 5x4 aero cam was the order of the day. I did have one mishap on my very first sortie - I had to fly low over a fatal air crash to take evidential and analysis photos of the scene. I leaned out too far into the slipstream and lost the slide cover to heavy breeze!

That taught me to take the
...Show more

Hi Donald:

A lot of my a2a opportunities last 2-3 minutes in formation tops, so ill come home with only 100-300 to work with. The large files, slow frame rate and comparatively small buffer of the D800/D810 has really forced me to shoot much less, but more deliberate frames than previous high FPS cameras where it just blows up the whole flight. I like slowing it down and making more decisions before firing the shutter and I think the in camera results are better now. Not sure i'm ready to only have 20 chances though!

Jim - you mentioned fitting 600 images on a 32 gig card - are you running compression? I have my D810 set for 14 bit uncompressed files and I get ~380 images on 32gb. Is the lossless compression worth turning on?

Glenn

Oct 02, 2015 at 08:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.4260 #11 · p.4260 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Wrei wrote:
Wait, they are making improvements at Mildenhall? I can assure you that is a sure sign the US DoD will move out. We were always afraid when new construction happened on our base. It was a sure sign we were losing a mission...and we would!

Maybe your quite right there Ray don't know if Mildenhall stays an airfield if they go away shame really because you had some great viewing points

Osprey in the Rain

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM lens    300mm    f/8.0    1/200s    160 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    300mm    f/13.0    1/80s    160 ISO    +0.7 EV  

Oct 02, 2015 at 09:05 PM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.4260 #12 · p.4260 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hawker Hurricane

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM +1.4x lens    420mm    f/11.0    1/160s    100 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Oct 02, 2015 at 09:59 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4260 #13 · p.4260 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Well I would call this a "reasonable" alternative to the bat mobile, but reasonable has nothing to do with it............

I'm staying out of it, Chandler and JR can handle this decision without my help.....

Oct 03, 2015 at 03:17 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4260 #14 · p.4260 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hi Glenn,

Maybe I'm hallucinating, is it 400 RAW files? I don't shoot anything but RAW format files in any of my cameras. Used to shoot RAW plus L JPEG, but decided that was a waste of memory. I'll have to format a card and see what the real count is. I've begun transitioning all of my memory cards to 64GB, except the video SDXC cards where I am going to 128GB.

Oct 03, 2015 at 03:36 AM
JakeB17
• •
p.4260 #15 · p.4260 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Glenn Watson wrote:
600 images on a 32 gig card - are you running compression? I have my D810 set for 14 bit uncompressed files and I get ~380 images on 32gb. Is the lossless compression worth turning on?

I'm using 14 bit lossless compressed and getting ~ 600 per 32gb card. I did a ton of testing when the D800 first came out comparing all the raw options, with and without compression. There is a clear difference between 12bit and 14bit, mostly in highlight detail, but zero noticeable difference between going uncompressed and even the lossy raw compression, so I stuck with the middle ground of lossless compressed. I haven't bothered to test the latest bodies, Ie, D810 and D4s, but that was the case on the previous gen of D800 and D4, so I'm sticking with it.

Oct 03, 2015 at 04:10 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4260 #16 · p.4260 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks Jake, I thought that number was accurate, generally a little less than half as many images as the Canon captures in RAW on the 32GB card. I've never fooled with compression settings on the D810 bodies, so mine is factory set for that parameter.

Oct 03, 2015 at 04:20 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4260 #17 · p.4260 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I'm sitting with Chandler while he goes through his AFW images for the first time. I gave him my 17" MBPro and we downloaded Adobe CC on it tonight, so he's all equipped to dig in.

Oct 03, 2015 at 04:26 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4260 #18 · p.4260 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Wrei wrote:

Well Ray, we're probably closing up shop there because Putin is taking the lead around the world while the US displays an ever strengthening image of weakness. It's no coincidence that the world is coming unglued with all these bad actors,. When the US is perceived as a paper tiger, and these days that would be an improvement, there's no shortage of despots that are just itching to poke the corpse.

Oct 03, 2015 at 04:55 AM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.4260 #19 · p.4260 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks Jake - thats good to know cause the D810 eats memory cards as is. I will try lossless compression. I dont know what the default setting is Jim but at ~600 images on 32gb you are set to (lossless) compress the files.

Glenn

Oct 03, 2015 at 05:22 AM
Donald Gray
• • • •
p.4260 #20 · p.4260 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

James & Glenn - Thanks for the info of frame count on sorties... Very interesting. Makes me wonder how many I would have come back with!

The Ross aero can was fixed focal length - for the life of me, I can't remember its focal length or aperture. Nor can I remember any shutter speeds but in those days with a film of 200 asa, I did manage full discs most of the time.

The company was very tight with capital purchases and would not even let me get a Rollei 2.8e!!!

Jim & All:

How a photographer's life has changed over the years since the '60s. After developing the 5x4s each neg had to be numbered with india ink then slipped into a neg envelope. Then manually fill out the catalogue book with sortie details et al (no auto numbering or computers!) The the negs needed to be stored in the neg library shelving rack...

Then check paper stocks (3 grades soft medium & hard contrast) and order the various sizes up to 20 x16...

Then there was the wet stuff : developer powder in bulk to be made up. Stop bath, Hypo. Water wetter. yes, water wetter. it was a pure detergent that killed the surface tension of water and helped to stop water marks of negs...

Among other stuff kept in the chemical cupboard was all the various chemical to hand mix a custom developer. Alcohol (not for drinking), acetic acid and cyanide. Cyanide was an excellent bleach of silver halide. I would, on occasion have to print a 20x16 on dead matt paper for an artist to do a pen & ink drawing over the image and then the image needed to be bleached out. Then the drawing was photographed with a litho film - that produced a print with only black or white.

Oh by gosh, this has opened the memory and woken my other brain cell. I could go on but I need to wash that stinki of hypo off my keyboard...

How would you cope with: no computers, no digital databases (only pens & paper) No CF/SD cards. No Hard drives. No internet. No cloud storage. No high def monitors other than the Mk1 eyeball.... and NO PHOTOSHOP! Photoshop was not even a wink in Adobe's father!

My 'photo shop' was a special desk with a surface at 45 degrees back lit for 'touching up' negs. I would spend as much time there as in the darkroom. A scalpel for fine scraping off portions of the emulsion on prints. Spotting ink with expensive fine camel hair brush for 'spotting' (removing white or grey dust marks or other blemishes). 600 grade carborundum stone to keep the scalpel sharp and many other 'tools of the trade'. Soft grade pencils (sharpened on fine grade carborundum paper)

The other skills the old timers needed to learn was being able to move around and work in TOTAL darkness. Find films, load film holders with the emulsion facing out. remove exposed film, load the developing frames, find the correct tank for developing etc etc... Then living life under dim red light printing with all the attending processes...

... oh, I forgot. the stink of stale air, smoke and photo chemicals...

You digital guys don't know what it was like to have permanently dirty looking fingernails. Nt really dirty but the chemicals and silver halides would stain the ribbon of skin under the nails...

Thank God for Photoshop

Oct 03, 2015 at 10:27 AM
1       2       3              4259      

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              4259      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password