FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              4238      
       4240              4532       4533       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4239 #1 · p.4239 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

BTW, Embraer needs a new photographer, that shot is crud for a 10.5 M biz jet ad. Crummy overblown lighting inside and out, dark cockpit blasted out entry and nose wheel chocks. I could probably land that account here in the near future, but I think I'm not going to care.

Sep 08, 2015 at 06:09 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4239 #2 · p.4239 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

In the Beech/Piper debate, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have photographed both of their piston flagships, straight out of the factory. Both are beautiful aircraft, but I can tell you that, cabin width not withstanding, slipping into a 3 hour old G36/Baron, is a pretty sensual experience, while a new Seneca/Saratoga is very nice, but considerably more pedestrian. Wouldn't thumb my nose at either though, great products.

Sep 08, 2015 at 06:14 PM
Ttown Aubie
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4239 #3 · p.4239 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim that is one impressive video setup. I cannot wait to see what you turn out with that! Knowing you it will blow us away!!

Sep 08, 2015 at 06:17 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.4239 #4 · p.4239 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim / Glenn,

any experience of using a Cessna 206 as an air to air platform?

Sep 08, 2015 at 06:32 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4239 #5 · p.4239 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks TT! Right at the moment the equipment eclipses the operator by a considerable margin, but I'm gaining on it. I'm having a debate with myself today about whether I want to shoot 4K RAW at AFW this week, or capture it in HD or 2K to make my memory go further. Very shortly I'm going to have ten grand invested in memory, even with the price of ssd's coming down.

Some of what I want to shoot this week will be at 240fps, which can only currently be done in HD, but the gain in HD memory is negated by the fact that you are burning footage at 7 times the normal rate. The only answer is to have lots of memory. Especially with our subjects because you can't just walk across the studio and download to free up memory. That's another factor, a 4K RAW filled 1TB ssd takes about 40 minutes to upload. There's just no way around having a huge investment in memory.

All of this has completely skewed my sense of cost as it relates to our still gear. A $10,000 200-400 seems extremely reasonable to me now, in light of the fact that a 70-200/2.8 in cinema is $19,100!!!! My Buddy Doug Jensen bought a Canon 200-400 recently for his F-55/FS/7 rigs and he is blown away by the quality. I think I posted something on that a couple of pages back. His impression is all of our high end Nikon/Canon glass is more than 4K capable. I'm having B&H overnight me a Zacuto long lens support because I fully intend to stick my 300/500 and maybe even my 800 on the Sony during the course of the week.

Disappointed as I am that Glenn's and my considerable efforts went for naught when the 38 was grounded, I'm now in a position to wring this new gear out this week in a pretty low pressure environment. Don't know if I can operate in a low pressure environment........., but I'm looking forward to trying.

There are so many techniques that we develop in our still work that just don't work in video. People have laughed at me over the years because I shoot all my long glass handheld. I figured that same steady technique would allow me to do the same in video. My experimentation to date has been pretty discouraging. A discussion with Doug the other night had him laughing as well, because you have to be on "sticks", handheld with our subjects is virtually impossible unless one enjoys that all over the map look that NYPD Blue introduced to television years ago. That look is pretty nauseating with our subject matter both in the capture and the viewing Yesterday when I got the Sachtler sticks tweaked, the error of my ways became obvious and I feel like they are going to go a long way in helping me achieve the quality we all expect from our end product.

Sep 08, 2015 at 06:51 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4239 #6 · p.4239 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hi Mark,

Not a bad platform, you have a strut to deal with and it's not the speediest mount, especially with the doors pulled, but it's stable and workable. Plenty of room for stuff if you pull a seat to two.

Sep 08, 2015 at 06:56 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.4239 #7 · p.4239 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Hi Mark,

Not a bad platform, you have a strut to deal with and it's not the speediest mount, especially with the doors pulled, but it's stable and workable. Plenty of room for stuff if you pull a seat to two.

Thanks Jim,

Mark

Sep 08, 2015 at 07:03 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4239 #8 · p.4239 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Most welcome Mark! My guess is you'll get 140 knots or so for a stable speed. Slightly faster than a 182.

Sep 08, 2015 at 07:31 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.4239 #9 · p.4239 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim,

How does that compare to a Bonanza?

Mark

Sep 08, 2015 at 07:38 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.4239 #10 · p.4239 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

MMcGrath wrote:
Jim / Glenn,

any experience of using a Cessna 206 as an air to air platform?

Mark - A looooong time ago, my dad was in a business partnership that owned a 206. He shot a ton of aerials from that platform. With the back door off you eliminate most of the visual conflict with the strut. However, as Jim notes, it isn't going to set any speed records in that configuration. Since dad only used it for aerial work, he loved it. Not sure about it as an A2A platform compared to an A36?

Here is a photo of the 206 from 1971/1972. I believe dad has one of his Hasselblad's hanging from his shoulder. I'm in photo number two feeling like a First Officer for the flight

Sep 08, 2015 at 08:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

MMcGrath
• • • •
p.4239 #11 · p.4239 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks Jeff,

Cool photos.

At the moment I am doing research into available platforms that are close to me. From my initial research, the most suitable platform appears to be a 206 that is owned by a skydive school. This has the added benefit of the doors already having been removed. My next step is to see if they a) would be willing to rent it for said purpose, b) see if they have a formation qualified pilot c) do they have rearward facing seats they could fit and d) does their insurance allow for this.

Mark

Sep 08, 2015 at 08:42 PM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.4239 #12 · p.4239 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Greetings from the Mach Loop LFA7 Wales UK

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM lens    300mm    f/2.8    1/1250s    100 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Sep 08, 2015 at 08:46 PM
R.Reijne
• • •
p.4239 #13 · p.4239 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Great pic buddy!

Sep 08, 2015 at 08:52 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.4239 #14 · p.4239 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Vulcan shot at 11mm.

Sally B

Sep 08, 2015 at 09:01 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.4239 #15 · p.4239 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Another couple of 11mm shots.

11mm really shows off how big the wing of the Catalina is.

It also makes the Typhoon look even more sleaker than normal.

Sep 08, 2015 at 09:16 PM
Go4Long
• • • •
p.4239 #16 · p.4239 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

The typhoon really does look fundamentally different from everything the north Americans and Russians put out.

Sep 08, 2015 at 09:24 PM
futurshox
• • • •
p.4239 #17 · p.4239 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Well shoot. Precious Metal's air racing career looks to be over. She had a massive fire taxiing away after a fuel stop, en route to Reno. Thom Richard is fine; he jumped out after being alerted to the fire, but the aircraft is in a pretty bad way.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Precious-Metal-Air-Racing-Fan-Page

Sep 08, 2015 at 09:32 PM
Tim Adams
• • • •
p.4239 #18 · p.4239 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Well we are down one in an already small field of Unlimiteds. P-51 Precious Metal caught on fire today taxiing out from a fuel stop. Heavy fire damage. They say it is a total loss, but it can be rebuilt. It may never race again, but it will fly again I'm sure.

Sep 08, 2015 at 09:33 PM
Go4Long
• • • •
p.4239 #19 · p.4239 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Where's my dislike button 😭

Sep 08, 2015 at 09:37 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.4239 #20 · p.4239 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
The PC 12 is difficult to beat. JR and I went long into the night last night discussing the PC12 and Phenom 300. You can buy a shiny new 12 and have 5.5M left over for jet A, but then the 300 is a pretty cool ride as well.

If you want any information on what it's actually like to buy/sell/maintain/operate Embraer aircraft, call Leonard Goldberg at Gold Aviation in Fort Lauderdale. They've done more deliveries than most, they have hosted and operated a couple of Embraers for years, and they're the only people I know in Florida to whom I trust my aircraft when I cannot directly supervise the maintenance myself.

Leonard is a great guy, has been running his business for nearly 20 years, I'll vouch for his honor and his expertise, and I'm on the Board as well.

Sep 08, 2015 at 10:31 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password