FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              4194      
       4196              4532       4533       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

far148
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4195 #1 · p.4195 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Here's a few more from the Gary South Shore show.

Steven

Jul 19, 2015 at 03:47 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4195 #2 · p.4195 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Too bad about your loaner Zim. My experience has been, every body that is not mine has a shovel full of crud on the sensor and the worst ones have come from NPS/CPS.

*sigh*

Live and learn. The shipment from NPS arrived the evening before I left for England, and I didn't think to check the sensor or to bring sensor cleaning stuff with me.

Edited on Jul 19, 2015 at 04:51 PM · View previous versions

Jul 19, 2015 at 04:27 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.4195 #3 · p.4195 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
"Stellar" capture Zim! What lens did you choose for that one?

Thanks, Jim. I put the new Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED on my D810, plus the TC-17E II: it makes a 500mm f/6.7 combination that can't be beat for size and weight. And it's sharp. The only downside is that at f/6.7, wide open, you can sometimes have AF failure when shooting low contrast subjects.

I used the same lens combo on the loaner D4s last weekend in England.

Jul 19, 2015 at 04:39 PM
richhrly
• • •
p.4195 #4 · p.4195 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

First RIAT 2015 photo from me, the MiG-29 getting airborne:

I popped my iPhone on top of my camera using a hotshoe holder and did a slow-mo vid of the take-off (where the above photo is taken), I was really surprsed how much judder you can see from the shutter:

Edited on Jul 19, 2015 at 04:57 PM · View previous versions

Jul 19, 2015 at 04:56 PM
kwbarnes
• •
p.4195 #5 · p.4195 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

rkelley wrote:
(deleted)
Complete agreement, situational awareness is a key incredient of a safety first orientation. Nothing in my quoted post was intended to imply that we should be putting ourselves in harms way.

RK

I didn't take your post to imply that we should be putting ourselves in harms way.

I posted that as a reminder of the danger involved in shooting from sketchy positions, be it by the side of the road, or maybe a high crime area.

Sometimes in the desire to "get the shot", (or various other reasons), people don't think of the actual dangers involved in the positions they have placed themselves in. I think that is a part of "human nature". We tend to place the brain on autopilot sometimes, when we really shouldn't, and a reminder of the possible consequences of inattention, couldn't hurt.

Jul 19, 2015 at 04:56 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4195 #6 · p.4195 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Very true, and I'll be the first to admit that on occasion I have stretched the cognizance of safety thing.

Jul 19, 2015 at 06:29 PM
rkelley
• • •
p.4195 #7 · p.4195 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

My sense here is that we are all in agreement on the importance of safety first, and I'll further agree that reminders of that importance should come frequently. I'll spend some time offering my thoughts on how intentionally act with safety in mind, and I'll welcome anyone's comments that wishes to expand on the subject.

With regard to my post that I think started the conversation, I should clarify that by "side of the road" my location was seperated from the traffic flow by: 1) A row of parked cars, 2) a ditch, 3) a berm of dirt several feet high. And with all that I'll still recognize that some risk existed. Personally, I choose to manage at least some of that risk by knowing where I am, what's around me, and what could go wrong. Those I think are some of the factors which begin to take in the concept of situational awareness. Further, in a manner similar to one of the principles of mountain flying, I'm going to advocate that we should always have multiple exit strategies. In the case above, I wouldn't have hesitated to cross the concrete and cable barrier surrounding the airfield.

I'll try to adapt some rules for aviation that I've advocated with young people for the past 30+ years, I suspect they will work equally well for photography: 1) Don't do anything that will put yourself or anybody else in the hospital or morgue, 2) At the end of the day the aircraft (or photography equipment) should look the same or better than it did at the beginning of the day, 3) Don't do anything to tick anybody off. (if you have to violate rule 3 to comply with rule 1 or 2, go back at your earliest opportunity, apologize, and explain why you did what you had to do.)

We all deserve to go home safe at the end of each day and, perhaps even more importantly, we have a responsibility to our families and loved ones to do just that.

Just my $0.02 worth,

RK

Jul 19, 2015 at 08:13 PM
Colin Giersberg
• • • •
p.4195 #8 · p.4195 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

In regards to safety, when we worked around paving operations, we were pretty much walking on the left side of the paver, shuttle buggy/material transfer device and dump trucks. This was the most convenient place to walk simply because the drivers were always on the left side (the paver was the exception). As a result of this, we were almost always walking in the lane that the passing traffic was in, from motorcycles to semi trucks. Some of this traffic would pass by as close as 6" away from us and at speeds in excess of 45 mph. Our only protection consisted of the safety vests and the traffic cones. The cones were 200' apart, so that was not much protection and the vests were no better.
One of the road projects that I travelled through daily was in Decatur, Alabama. A bridge over some railroad tracks was being replaced because the new bridge would be longer. This would allow the railroad to add an extra track under the bridge. When the southbound lanes were closed off for the work to begin, channelizing drums were placed to guide the traffic through the work zone. Once in that, concrete barriers were placed to further enhance the safety of the workers. Last, the speed limit was dropped to 25mph. Aside from this, there was also a grass median that separated the traffic from the closed lanes ands the area between the bridges consisted of a gap around 30' wide.
All of those precautions to protect the workers was good, and yet the paving jobs that I worked on never had that kind of luxury. Remember, our protection was the vests we wore and the traffic cones spaced every 200' apart and we are walking in the lane that the traffic is in! There were many times when traffic forced us to get on the paver so that it could pass by. In all of the years that I did this job, I am constantly amazed that we only had two people get hit by the right side mirror. This resulted in knocking the person several feet away, fortunately with nothing more than a bruise, but it could have killed someone. We did lose one employee when a schizophrenic woman got a set of car keys and she drove down the open lanes of a 4-lane highway, hit the brakes and spun around, then hit the accelerator. This action, while not intentional to my knowledge, resulted in her car going off the road and into a culvert that was being built. Several people from the contractor saw her coming and jumped out of the way. The only state employee there was facing the wrong direction and died because of that. This was several years ago and I mentioned it before.
After that accident, the state had concrete barriers placed along the road for protection. One of the things that Alabama requires, and I assume most other states as well, is for traffic to change lanes or slow down when they are approaching emergency vehicles in or next to the road. The TV commercials never mention road workers, which I think is a serious mistake. Anytime we approach someone riding a bicycle, changing a flat or working on their vehicle on the side of the road, emergency vehicles at an accident, fire, etc. and road workers, this should apply.

Jul 19, 2015 at 09:09 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.4195 #9 · p.4195 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Like this Colin?

On a two lane, the state has the contractor block traffic and it is alternated via a pilot truck (Follow Me). In fact I have seen them do it on a 4 lane where there is no median.

Jul 19, 2015 at 09:50 PM
nrferguson
• • • •
p.4195 #10 · p.4195 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Three from me from RIAT today (Sunday) One of the French Mirage pair had a birdstrike on take off and did n emergency circuit and landing (without any problem) so the other just did a demo (a good one) rather than a role demo.
Niall

Jul 19, 2015 at 10:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

nrferguson
• • • •
p.4195 #11 · p.4195 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Whilst walking into RIAT today I saw this British Aerospace poster. Methinks they should take more care with their English idioms. If you don't understand what I mean, there is a great difference in meaning between "now and then" and "then and now" - which is what they should have put!

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:24 PM
Go4Long
• • • •
p.4195 #12 · p.4195 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

The RCAF CF-18 is finally in my neck of the woods:

Historic Vapour by Steven Szabo, on Flickr

Jul 20, 2015 at 01:16 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4195 #13 · p.4195 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Over the past week I have spent 15 hours suspended above God's creation, shooting a myriad of subjects from Hawaiian Falls to AT&T Stadium. In the midst I happened upon this modest little spot, "Be it ever so humble............"

Jul 20, 2015 at 02:55 AM
Ryan Harris
• •
p.4195 #14 · p.4195 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Just a little bungalow...

Jul 20, 2015 at 02:57 AM
Go4Long
• • • •
p.4195 #15 · p.4195 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

psh...at first I thought it was a garden maze, then I realized it wasn't...totally not interested :P

Jul 20, 2015 at 03:03 AM
Razor17
• •
p.4195 #16 · p.4195 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
Lynn, you asked for the Seafire (Supermarine Seafire LF III, registration G-BUAR); and you shall have it...

Thank you Steve, Outstanding...

Jul 20, 2015 at 03:03 AM
TheBigDog

p.4195 #17 · p.4195 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

This was my first year going to Geneseo, and while many people have told me it is no where near as good as it used to be, I still had a great time. I wish I had a chance to do the twilight show that they had, but something came up and I was unable.
I used my Nikon D810 with the 80-400 and the Nikon D4s with the Sigma Sport 150-600. CC always welcome, thanks for looking:

The All Veteran Group Parachute team opened the show
DSC_7156 by Christian Gross, on Flickr

A super rare sight, a DeHavilland Gipsy Moth
DSC_8894 by Christian Gross, on Flickr

Tom Duffy came in with his B-25 Mitchell and dropped a load of perfectly good watermelons
DSC_2594 by Christian Gross, on Flickr

Rob Holland put on a spectacular display
DSC_9505 by Christian Gross, on Flickr

Scott "Scooter" Yoak in his P-51 Mustang, Quick Silver
DSC_3358 by Christian Gross, on Flickr

Mark Murphy in his Mustang, Never Miss, coming in for a landing
DSC_9374 by Christian Gross, on Flickr

A great sight, seeing Art Nalls take off his Sea Harrier from the grass field
DSC_0325 by Christian Gross, on Flickr

Even better sight, seeing him form up with Greg Shelton and the FM-2 Wildcat for a "legacy" formation
DSC_0052 by Christian Gross, on Flickr

Thanks for looking, the full set is available for viewing here:

Flickr Album

Jul 20, 2015 at 03:12 AM
rkelley
• • •
p.4195 #18 · p.4195 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Go4Long wrote:
The RCAF CF-18 is finally in my neck of the woods:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3735/19220905674_f158d11694_b.jpg
Historic Vapour by Steven Szabo, on Flickr

Nice shot of the demo bird. I'm looking forward to seeing her at Abbotsford in a few weeks. Where was this shot at?

RK

Jul 20, 2015 at 03:17 AM
rkelley
• • •
p.4195 #19 · p.4195 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Over the past week I have spent 15 hours suspended above God's creation, shooting a myriad of subjects from Hawaiian Falls to AT&T Stadium. In the midst I happened upon this modest little spot, "Be it ever so humble............"

What a beautiful bit of the world. I'm impressed not only with the "improvements" of the building and landscaping but also appreciate how it fits with the surrounding forrest. I'm wondering what the same shot would look like in the other seasons.

Nicely done and thanks for sharing the view,

RK

Jul 20, 2015 at 03:29 AM
Go4Long
• • • •
p.4195 #20 · p.4195 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

rkelley wrote:
Nice shot of the demo bird. I'm looking forward to seeing her at Abbotsford in a few weeks. Where was this shot at?

RK

that one is from today at Springbank.
I'm probably going to catch it again for a Friday night show and Saturday show this week in Lethbridge, then I'll be catching it again in Abbotsford.

**EDIT FOR TOPP** The proud CC-138 Twin Otter

CC-138 by Steven Szabo, on Flickr

Jul 20, 2015 at 03:38 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password