FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              4167      
       4169              4530       4531       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff W.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4168 #1 · p.4168 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

As I am typically late to the party, let me offer a few personal observations.

1. I've wanted a Ford F-250 Super Duty 4WD crew cab diesel pick-up for many years. Unfortunately, the price tag for the "Platinum" edition is always slightly out of my reach. And while I could try to make the argument that diesel is a bio-fuel and therefore I'm helping the environment, I'd just be kidding myself and would need to keep my fingers crossed behind my back when I said such a thing. I believe that we should be stewards over the earth and gratefully use what God has given, avoid wasting resources and use the bounty of the earth to care for the poor and the needy. I don't think I should act as an "owner" or having "dominion" over this earth. I believe I will be accountable before God for what I do with His creations. I guess this belief and viewpoint makes me some kind of conservative tree-hugger - I can live with that.

2. From what studying I've done on the subject of EV's causes me to marvel at what Tesla has accomplished. IMO, battery technology has always been the key and they've got a serious edge in that department. Even if I could afford my big American diesel pick-up, I'd rarely use it for its intended purpose. For the type of driving I do in metro Phoenix, an EV would save me a ton of money. One charge would take care of 99% of my daily driving needs and then I'd recharge each night as Steve described. It's only a matter of time and I think we will all be the better for it.

3. Charging stations for EV's do not take more room that current gas stations. The first Tesla's charging set-up I ever saw was in Yuma on the backside of an Exxon station (interesting relationship). It took up very little room. One of my clients is QuikTrip. I help them develop their gas stations in the greater Phoenix area. One of the reasons gas stations need the room they have is related to underground fuel tank locations, fire safety margins and accommodating the large tractor/trailer rigs that come to fill the underground tanks. Take away the need to accommodate these things and you'd need much less property to charge the same number of EV's.

Gratefully we live in a country where the choice of vehicle and the type of energy used to propel it down the road rests with each individual. I believe EV's like Tesla will continue to propagate, especially in metropolitan areas. I'd love to go a month without having to pay for gas. I'd save a ton of money and maybe breath a little easier.

Last item; Jim's conundrum regarding the new Canon 5DSR. Certainly the Nikon 800/810 offerings have been nothing short of amazing and would make transitioning to the Canon product the subject of much hand-wringing. Now Sony had entered the fray with their A7r II offering announced this week. Since they designed Nikon's sensor and their A7 sensor has been well regarded, I suspect this new 42MP Full-Frame Exmor R BSI CMOS Sensor is going to be a dandy. I'm much more interested in the Sony than I am the Canon.

Bottom line, we live in a wonderful time of photography. I'm looking at the Sony with serious intentions while ordering more HC-110 developer and Ilford Delta 100 medium format film. I can't think of a time when we've had more choices, options, resolution and megapixels. While there are plenty of things to furrow my brow each day, life is good

I guess after all the palavering, I should post a photograph...

Edited on Jun 12, 2015 at 11:31 PM · View previous versions

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:07 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4168 #2 · p.4168 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Wrei wrote:
It appears the go karts are a hit. After two training laps the grandkids got the hang of it pretty well!

http://www.rayswindlepix.com/img/s4/v11/p1247827099-5.jpg

Love the Mad Max helmet!

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:21 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.4168 #3 · p.4168 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff W. wrote:
I guess after all the palavering, I should post a photograph...

Palavering? I always wanted a better word to describe my "thinking out loud". Thanks Jeff!

It was crowded on the farm today! Wish they made affordable electric go karts.

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:32 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.4168 #4 · p.4168 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Just checking a couple of pages back so I can slide into the conversation... this time, I can't even dream of going back to read everything I missed.

kwbarnes wrote:
We all know who finally won that contest, the jury is still out on electric verses gas.

I disagree with you on this one, Ken. Having driven electric-only vehicles for about three years now, electric is simply better. The driving dynamics are better, the power required is less, the efficiency is higher, the costs are lower, the chassis can be made safer, the catastrophic risks (e.g. fire/explosion) are lower, the battery can be recycled, there are fewer things to break, repair, or maintain (a Tesla drivetrain has six moving parts total), the convenience is greater... I could go on, but I think I've made my point.

Plenty of people have legitimate doubts about the viability or benefits of electric cars. In every single case I've yet seen, none of those people have driven an electric car for a week as their daily driver. I'm sure there are some exceptions out there, but I've yet to see any. Unfamiliarity creates doubt and skepticism, and that's totally understandable. But when you truly know and experience both sides of the coin... electric has already won.

For the large majority of the US population, a solid electric car is already a better choice than an ICE. Not for everyone yet, but already for at least 90% of the population. Now it's just a function of improving the battery capacity/density and the cost to get greater market penetration. Early products are always more expensive (an Apple II was $4,000 in 1982, remember?), and the Tesla Model S is definitely at the high end of the market. Fear not, the cost will come down.

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:46 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.4168 #5 · p.4168 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Forgive me for not being able to honor TOPP with an image, but I'll get something posted soon. Help me figure something out: at what price should I offer for sale my Nikon 500/4 VR? Obviously it's in good condition...

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:47 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.4168 #6 · p.4168 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Rodolfo, my opinion about"the jury is still out on electric verses gas" is clouded by the entirety of the electric/hybrid market history. You have to admit, there have been failed electric models that have taken advantage of US gov't grants. These have tainted the electric market. Tesla, while a marvel of success, is only successful to those who can spend $70+k for one automobile. I am sure if the Tesla was $32,000, tens of millions would be owners by now. Sadly that is not the case.

I recently investigated a small electric/hybrid to use for driving to the city. I was interested in the Prius C. Unfortunately, outside of Toyota you cannot find a good review for the $18,000 Prius C. As a third utility auto, I can't see a ROI from spending over $20k. The body style suits my requirements, but the performance is not there.

As far as Tesla, you and Steve are spot on, and I would love to have one, if not just for the joy of experiencing the technological advancements. Elon Musk is a real change agent, in the automotive market and space. Driving an electric car vs. gas reminds me of the difference in a sailboat and power boat...with a sailboat, silence is golden; not so with a power boat.

Jun 12, 2015 at 11:23 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.4168 #7 · p.4168 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Wrei wrote:
Rodolfo, my opinion about"the jury is still out on electric verses gas" is clouded by the entirety of the electric/hybrid market history. You have to admit, there have been failed electric models that have taken advantage of US gov't grants. These have tainted the electric market. Tesla, while a marvel of success, is only successful to those who can spend $70+k for one automobile. I am sure if the Tesla was $32,000, tens of millions would be owners by now. Sadly that is not the case.

I recently investigated a small electric/hybrid to use for driving to the city. I
...Show more

If the traditional auto industry had wanted to have an affordable electric car before now it would have happened. Remember the General Motors EV1? GM would not let you purchase them, you could only lease. Two people at my former employment had EV1's and loved them. They lived 30+ miles from the work place and said the commute was terrific. One day GM (another company benefiting from government financial assistance) simply told the lessee's they were reclaiming the cars - no detailed reason given. Besides all the conspiracy silliness that was associated with the EV1, my two friends loved those cars and would have happily purchased one. This was in the mid to late 1990's when gas was much closer to $1/gallon than the nearly $3/gallon it is now.

Jun 13, 2015 at 12:56 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4168 #8 · p.4168 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Welcome Back Rodolfo!

Jun 13, 2015 at 01:03 AM
far148
• •
p.4168 #9 · p.4168 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Here's a few of the reenactors from MAAM WWII Weekend.

Steven

Jun 13, 2015 at 01:16 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4168 #10 · p.4168 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Well that view warms a Grandfather's heart Ray, enjoy my friend.

Jun 13, 2015 at 01:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4168 #11 · p.4168 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Beautiful image Jeff, and good points all. Truly an exciting decade to be an image maker. I think I would have hung up the spurs by now if it hadn't become so darn fascinating.

Jun 13, 2015 at 01:29 AM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.4168 #12 · p.4168 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff W. wrote:
If the traditional auto industry had wanted to have an affordable electric car before now it would have happened. Remember the General Motors EV1? GM would not let you purchase them, you could only lease. Two people at my former employment had EV1's and loved them. They lived 30+ miles from the work place and said the commute was terrific. One day GM (another company benefiting from government financial assistance) simply told the lessee's they were reclaiming the cars - no detailed reason given. Besides all the conspiracy silliness that was associated with the EV1, my two friends loved
...Show more

Not sure if these are available in the U.S. yet, but BMW have a fully electric family car and a sports hybrid on the market at the moment:

http://www.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/new-vehicles/bmw-i/i3/2013/introduction.html

https://www.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/new-vehicles/bmw-i/i8/2013/introduction.html

The i3 costs around 30,000 which is similar priced to a 4 series coupe.
The i8 costs over 100,000 and has similar performance to a Porsche. Used i8's were selling in the UK for 50% over cost new around 9 months ago due to the popularity of it and the long wait times.

Jun 13, 2015 at 05:47 AM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.4168 #13 · p.4168 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Camera shops in Japan are dangerous places to visit.
So many cool accessories etc that Canon & Nikon do that are unavailable outside Japan.

Jun 13, 2015 at 05:50 AM
kwbarnes
• •
p.4168 #14 · p.4168 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Ray,
I'm sure that the kids will enjoy the "go karts". Just a quick observation....

I see that most of the kids are wearing cheap bicycle helmets. AN upgrade may be in order. The "go karts" are faster and heavier than a kids bicycle, and if the unforeseen does happen, a large section of the side, and back of their heads is exposed to hitting the roll cage.

Also, most of the kids are not wearing eye protection. Those open front wheels are tossing debris into the air right in front of the kids, and in a turn at least one wheel will be directed right at the driver, or passenger. A pair of inexpensive lexan lensed goggles per vehicle would be a sound investment from a safety standpoint.

Jun 13, 2015 at 07:41 AM
alawadhi
• •
p.4168 #15 · p.4168 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Speaking of EVs, did anyone own/try Nissan Leaf? I hear that this has a good market in the US and waiting lists are over 7 months.

Jun 13, 2015 at 12:18 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.4168 #16 · p.4168 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

alawadhi wrote:
Speaking of EVs, did anyone own/try Nissan Leaf? I hear that this has a good market in the US and waiting lists are over 7 months.

The only Leaf owner I've met who didn't like it was a guy I met at the charging station in Addison during the ISAP weekend. His problems stemmed from the fact that he's an interior designer and often needs to drive farther on a given day than the Leaf's modest battery will carry him. Having to stop and charge (the fast CHAdeMO charger he was using will fill the Leaf's battery in about an hour) during business hours was proving frustrating to him, though it's his own fault for not analyzing his driving habits before leasing the car.

All the other Leaf owners I know are very happy with their cars. It's a great around-town vehicle.

Jun 13, 2015 at 10:12 PM
alawadhi
• •
p.4168 #17 · p.4168 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
The only Leaf owner I've met who didn't like it was a guy I met at the charging station in Addison during the ISAP weekend. His problems stemmed from the fact that he's an interior designer and often needs to drive farther on a given day than the Leaf's modest battery will carry him. Having to stop and charge (the fast CHAdeMO charger he was using will fill the Leaf's battery in about an hour) during business hours was proving frustrating to him, though it's his own fault for not analyzing his driving habits before leasing the car.

All the
...Show more

I've contacted Nissan asking about the availability of Leaf in the Middle East, they replied that they (at that time) don't have plans even for Europe!!! and the US market is eating all their production power.

I read reviews from time to time about the car, as you said Steve, it is a good around town car. Personally I am travelling around 10 to 15 miles (16 to 24 KM) a day to work, so Leaf's range is excellent for me, beside its size for a single person. So ideally I would hook it up every 3 days :P

Jun 13, 2015 at 10:42 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.4168 #18 · p.4168 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

One of the Leaf's shortcomings is that the battery system has no thermal management, unlike Tesla's, which is liquid-cooled. So in Bahrain you might run into problems with heat-related battery degradation, as Phoenix Leaf owners discovered a few years ago when they went through the first summer with htheir cars. Nissan has addressed the issue to some extent, but I don't really know how well.

Jun 14, 2015 at 02:16 AM
futurshox
• • • •
p.4168 #19 · p.4168 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Rodolfoooooooo! You're back!

A friend of mine in our neighborhood has a Leaf and uses it to commute into Austin each day. Probably 15-18 miles each way. She loves it. Just plugs it in each night, ready to go in the morning.

Jun 14, 2015 at 02:22 AM
kdrk888
• • •
p.4168 #20 · p.4168 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Speaking of taxes, anyone else find it curious that The New York Times is all over Rubio for buying a "Luxury Speedboat" at a tab of 80K, but there hasn't been a peep in the press about Kerry's 7.2 million dollar boat , built in New Zealand, and registered in Rhode Island to save a half million in annual Mass. taxes. Naaaah, there's no bias in the press

Jim, they went after Rubio for his finances when that couple have been reeling in tens of millions questionable speaking fees... Including several hundred thousand dollars per speech at public universities.

Jun 14, 2015 at 03:06 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password