FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              4157      
       4159              4533       4534       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

viczig
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4158 #1 · p.4158 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

A few from Friday practice at the Rhode Island air show.

NIKON D3    80.0-400.0 mm f/4.5-5.6 lens    370mm    f/6.3    1/4000s    800 ISO    +0.5 EV  

NIKON D3    80.0-400.0 mm f/4.5-5.6 lens    400mm    f/6.3    1/2500s    800 ISO    +0.5 EV  

NIKON D3    80.0-400.0 mm f/4.5-5.6 lens    310mm    f/6.3    1/3200s    800 ISO    +0.5 EV  

NIKON D3    80.0-400.0 mm f/4.5-5.6 lens    400mm    f/6.3    1/2000s    800 ISO    +0.5 EV  

Jun 01, 2015 at 03:31 AM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4158 #2 · p.4158 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Howdy Steve:

Those sorts of vast landscapes are just the best at the 3d pairs. awesome dude!

Glenn

Jun 01, 2015 at 03:46 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.4158 #3 · p.4158 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

No glass was removed insofar as I know... Would have been a little breezy for Chuck I think. Just caught it at the right angle to avoid glare guess...

-=Namesake=-

Jun 01, 2015 at 08:16 AM
nrferguson
• • • •
p.4158 #4 · p.4158 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

James, what filter did you use on the Duxford image (which seems to have vanished)?
Here are a couple of P-40s from Flying Legends 2013. Who's going this year, perhaps we could meet up? I'm also going to Yeovilton with my brother-in-law - is Sir Donald still around?
Finally, because of Yeovilton, I will probably/possibly go to RIAT on one of the arrivals days, does anyone have any experience? Is Wednesday or Thursday better?
At last - the P-40s

Niall

Jun 01, 2015 at 01:17 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.4158 #5 · p.4158 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Since this is the last year the Vulcan will be airworthy, what are my best options for seeing her before she's grounded forever? I helped sponsor the wing structural mods that kept her in the air the last couple of years; it would be a shame never to see her fly.

Jun 01, 2015 at 01:34 PM
nrferguson
• • • •
p.4158 #6 · p.4158 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
Since this is the last year the Vulcan will be airworthy, what are my best options for seeing her before she's grounded forever? I helped sponsor the wing structural mods that kept her in the air the last couple of years; it would be a shame never to see her fly.

She is going to be at RIAT on Saturday and Sunday 18/19 July (but not on the Friday) and at Yeovilton the same Saturday - also at Dunsfold Wings and Wheels over August Bank Holiday (when I'll be at a family wedding in Ireland )
This is a link to the full dates
http://www.vulcantothesky.org/appearances.html

Niall

Farnborough 2014 - Sunday

Jun 01, 2015 at 01:50 PM
Bill Gass
• • • •
p.4158 #7 · p.4158 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

AH, think your little dragon fly will make it across the Atlantic Steve ?

Jun 01, 2015 at 03:16 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.4158 #8 · p.4158 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Bill Gass wrote:
AH, think your little dragon fly will make it across the Atlantic Steve ?

It's a little bat, actually. And, no, I don't.

Though now you mention it, someone did fly around the world in a Pipistrel. Hmmm...

http://www.pipistrel.si/extras/extreme-flights/matevz-lenarcic-flew-around-the-world-and-set-a-world-record

Jun 01, 2015 at 03:30 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.4158 #9 · p.4158 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

nrferguson wrote:
She is going to be at RIAT on Saturday and Sunday 18/19 July (but not on the Friday) and at Yeovilton the same Saturday - also at Dunsfold Wings and Wheels over August Bank Holiday (when I'll be at a family wedding in Ireland )
This is a link to the full dates
http://www.vulcantothesky.org/appearances.html

Niall

Hmmm. Looks like Yeovilton is 11 July with an arrivals photocall on the 10th. That works with my schedule better than just about any of the other displays, with the option of a static ramp tour as well. The only other option is the mid-August weekend when both Eastbourne and Headcorn are scheduled to host displays on the Saturday.

Suggestions, anyone?

Edited on Jun 01, 2015 at 04:09 PM · View previous versions

Jun 01, 2015 at 03:49 PM
nrferguson
• • • •
p.4158 #10 · p.4158 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
It's a little bat, actually. And, no, I don't.

Though now you mention it, someone did fly around the world in a Pipistrel. Hmmm...

http://www.pipistrel.si/extras/extreme-flights/matevz-lenarcic-flew-around-the-world-and-set-a-world-record

Interesting that whilst everywhere else on his itinerary is a location within a country eg Rekjavik (Iceland) Scotland is just "Scotland" - and it is 274 miles N-S and 60 miles E-W with a lot of towns, a few cities, and at least three international airports!! Could he not understand the strange language of the inhabitants when he asked them where he had landed?

Niall

Jun 01, 2015 at 03:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ryan Harris
• •
p.4158 #11 · p.4158 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Steve, the Yeovilton weekend also happens to be the same as the Flying Legends Airshow at Duxford. Two awesome birds with one stone perhaps?

Jun 01, 2015 at 04:42 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.4158 #12 · p.4158 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hmmm: Friday/Saturday at Yeovilton and Sunday at Duxford? Sounds like a full programme.

Is it worth purchasing a Gold Pass at Duxford? Flightline Club at Yeovilton? Grandstand seating is already sold out for Yeovilton.

Jun 01, 2015 at 05:26 PM
nrferguson
• • • •
p.4158 #13 · p.4158 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Sorry, realised I got the Yeovilton date wrong - got it off a wrong website list. I've never been to Yeovilton (but may this year as, apart from the Vulcan they have the Mig-15 and the Sea Vixen promised), although I drove past on Saturday on my way back from my daughter's house in Taunton. Duxford I usually just station myself on the "Tank Bank" which is at the end of the bridge into the upper floor of the Land Warfare Hall.
Eastbourne is supposed to be seen best from Beachy Head rather than Eastbourne itself - Headcorn I've never even heard of!
Niall

Jun 01, 2015 at 06:13 PM
nickjohnson
• • •
p.4158 #14 · p.4158 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Migrating south:- an interim report.

Been MIA for several months now. I've tried to keep in touch by lurk mode – but circumstances make contributing difficult. Long story short, Thea and I have sold up our house in Northumberland and moved back down to the UK south coast from whence we came. Pending the purchase of a permanent home we are currently stuck in a tiny, miserable rental. You know your in trouble when you have a four bedroom house worth of stuff packed into a one and a half bedroom “house”, and your largest single space is a standard UK garage! Not to worry – the pain is all self inflicted and so all the more enjoyable! But I have no facility to process images and no way to post anything not already on flickr – thus one of the reasons for not posting.

We moved south before the last of my camera club competitions took place – so I was not present on the night. Happy to say I got some good results – highly commended for the Snowscape I posted here at Christmas and another highly commended for the attached B&W. Overall a very good season, as I managed to win the print league for the second time in three years. We went back up north for the presentation evening and where made very welcome – I will miss those folks.

Torness Nuclear Power Station.

Jun 01, 2015 at 08:10 PM
nickjohnson
• • •
p.4158 #15 · p.4158 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Steve,

As you will have surmised from my previous, my support of your possible UK visit is problematic. Simply put, and right now, I can commit to nothing. However, nearer any firm date I may be able to offer a meet up / ice cream / butler / chauffeur service - depending upon circumstances.

The only show on your list I've been to is the photo call day at Yeovilton. Frankly, that's been a mixed bag over the years. First year, I went with Our Rich and Sir Donald. It was a hoot. In contrast 2013 was a bust since the photo pit is positioned near the landing point for the prevailing wind – that year the wind was the other way so all we got was about 3 or 4 downwind landings and about two validation (practice) displays. Worse yet, all the other arrivals turned off the runway after landing and went directly to the static ramp – about 400 yards away! Last year Yeovilton clashed with my (then) local show in Scotland. So I didn’t bother.

That all said, apparently the actual air day at Yovilton is very good. So if you want to maximise your tin triangle opportunity at Yeovilton the full show may be your best bet IMHO

Jun 01, 2015 at 08:36 PM
JayDavis
• • • •
p.4158 #16 · p.4158 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Here are a couple of more shots from trip to Amsterdam recently, I also went to Dusseldorf and Frankfurt; and I'll post those later.

Jun 01, 2015 at 09:16 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.4158 #17 · p.4158 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

nrferguson wrote:
Sorry, realised I got the Yeovilton date wrong - got it off a wrong website list. I've never been to Yeovilton (but may this year as, apart from the Vulcan they have the Mig-15 and the Sea Vixen promised), although I drove past on Saturday on my way back from my daughter's house in Taunton. Duxford I usually just station myself on the "Tank Bank" which is at the end of the bridge into the upper floor of the Land Warfare Hall.
Eastbourne is supposed to be seen best from Beachy Head rather than Eastbourne itself - Headcorn I've never even
...Show more

Headcorn looks like my kind of airport: grass runways, small venue, out in the country, etc. But I think it'll have to be Yeovilton/Duxford for me this summer. I used Google Maps to spot the Tank Bank: it looks well-worn. Yeovilton will be my only opportunity to see the Vulcan on static display as well as performing a flight display; I'd like to see the beast up close and my name is inscribed somewhere in the bomb bay.

I see it's a good long way from one venue to the other. Any suggestions about where to stay when leaving Yeovilton on Saturday evening so I'm not too far from Duxford on Sunday? I presume hiring a car is really the only practical way to do both events; do you concur?

Jun 01, 2015 at 10:36 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.4158 #18 · p.4158 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

nickjohnson wrote:
Steve,

As you will have surmised from my previous, my support of your possible UK visit is problematic. Simply put, and right now, I can commit to nothing. However, nearer any firm date I may be able to offer a meet up / ice cream / butler / chauffeur service - depending upon circumstances.

The only show on your list I've been to is the photo call day at Yeovilton. Frankly, that's been a mixed bag over the years. First year, I went with Our Rich and Sir Donald. It was a hoot. In contrast 2013 was a bust since the
...Show more

Thanks for the info, Nick. I hope your living situation resolves itself in a good way, soonest. I'm planning to spend Friday and Saturday at Yeovilton: Friday for the arrivals and Saturday for the show. Plus, I should have the opportunity to get up close to the Vulcan on the static ramp on Saturday. That's the theory, at any rate.

In honor of nothing in particular, here are a couple more Mossie shots I reworked on the big monitor.

Jun 02, 2015 at 04:15 AM
Go4Long
• • • •
p.4158 #19 · p.4158 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Not that I can really follow the mosquito...but...

Navy Strong by Steven Szabo, on Flickr

Jun 02, 2015 at 04:29 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.4158 #20 · p.4158 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

One Of These Will Kill You Quickly...

Jun 02, 2015 at 07:07 AM
       4159              4533       4534       end

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell