Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              4134      
       4136              4282       4283       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevezzzz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4135 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

This one caught my eye as I was downloading. The RNZAF/Navy Kaman Sea Sprite at 1/25 sec.

Canon EOS-1D X    EF300mm f/4L IS USM +1.4x lens    420mm    f/18.0    1/25s    50 ISO    +1.0 EV  

Apr 19, 2014 at 09:08 AM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.4135 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Great Steve did you get the C130 with the flares?

Apr 19, 2014 at 09:16 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.4135 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jan-Arie wrote:
Great Steve did you get the C130 with the flares?

Yes, J-A, but the cloudy sky was brighter than the flare trails, so I don't think the results will be very good.

Apr 19, 2014 at 10:05 AM
Jeff W.
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4135 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
It is a beauty Jeff, it has that "Welkerized" feel to it. How are you coming on your Hasselblad retro journey?

Thanks Jim for the kind words. To date, I've not had as much time to bond with the Hasselblad as I'd like. The few opportunities did not facilitate extra time for me to play with film. Hopefully that will change in the next few weeks and I can post some results. I'm still excited and looking forward to becoming more proficient

Edited on Apr 19, 2014 at 11:01 AM · View previous versions

Apr 19, 2014 at 10:55 AM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.4135 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
This one caught my eye as I was downloading. The RNZAF/Navy Kaman Sea Sprite at 1/25 sec.

Simply WOW Steve. Can't wait to see this after you get a chance to process. Looking forward to the other images.

Apr 19, 2014 at 10:59 AM
Tim Adams
• • • •
p.4135 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
Still downloading Saturday's take (it's late Saturday evening on this side of the date line), but I am here to report that patience and persistence got me a spot at pylon #2 for today's jet races, Reno style. Fly low, go fast, turn left. Three L-29s, an L-39 and two Vampires. And with Wanaka's mountain backdrop, too. Can't wait to see the day's haul, but that is some hours away at this rate.

By the way, the airshow announcers here are just fantastic: two guys who know everything about the airplanes and hold an open mike conversation about the displays, the
...Show more

One of my CA based Reno pylon photog friends is also at the show.

Apr 19, 2014 at 03:55 PM
briancphoto
• •
p.4135 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I tried asking this on the Landscape section and someone suggested I try here. I am looking for advice on shooting out of a smaller cessna plane. I am trying to get shots of the valley I live in with Mt Hood in the background. I have a D800e with a 70-300 g, Tamron macro 100 , Nikon 85 1.8, Nikon 50 1.8, Nikon 18-35 g, and a Samyung 14mm.

I was thinking of taking off right at sunrise or so and staying in the air for up to an hour and was looking for suggestions on which lenses to bring or not, Minimum shutter speeds, if you would leave earlier or latter etc. Or if anyone has any good links to article which cover this. Thanks in advance for any help. Brian

Apr 19, 2014 at 06:44 PM
kwbarnes
• •
p.4135 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

About that 38 million gallons of "contaminated" water.

A sensible solution would be to add 15 million gallons of quality Scotch, stir well, and serve over ice.

Apr 19, 2014 at 06:55 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.4135 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Welcome, Brian. You've come to the right place for air-to-ground advice. Here are some simple rules for you...

- shoot at the highest shutter speed conditions allow. The smoother the air and the better your technique, the slower you can go, but there's little need for small apertures since most aerial subjects are effectively at infinity. For wide angle shots try and stay faster than 1/250 and with the longer lenses strive for 1/800 or better. That said, if you have to shoot slower take lots of frames and be prepared to throw most of them away.
- try and arrange for an open window or door to shoot through: plexiglas is a lousy optical medium. Most Cessna side windows will open all the way in flight if you remove one screw from the closer mechanism.
- leave your lens hoods on the ground and keep the lens barrel out of the airstream to reduce shake.
- the only part of you that touches the airframe should be your backside. Don't brace against anything, and don't let the camera touch anything: airframe vibrations will ruin your shots.
- don't change lenses in the air to avoid sensor contamination in the swirling cabin air: if you want to use two lenses, bring two bodies and leave the lenses on the whole time.
- I use the 70-200 for most overhead shots and the 24-70 for most landscapes. A wider lens isn't very useful because you'll end up with bits of the airplane in your frame.
- secure everything, including yourself! You don't want to lose anything out the door/window. Hats, eyeglasses, etc. tend to get sucked out the opening. I've seen news photos of a very expensive (and very dead) Canon lens that fell from an airplane: you don't want to be that guy. Don't stick anything out in the airstream.

Most great aerial photography is done in the hour or so around sunrise or sunset. The air is smoother in the morning, usually, but launching before dawn to be in position when the light is good can be unappealing. If you're shooting a mountain peak and also want light in the valley, expect some compromises on the light: the peak will be in full sun long before you can make out detail in the valley.

Now that you've found us, stick around! And by all means post your results from the shoot.

Apr 19, 2014 at 07:01 PM
nrferguson
• • •
p.4135 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

briancphoto wrote:
I tried asking this on the Landscape section and someone suggested I try here. I am looking for advice on shooting out of a smaller cessna plane. I am trying to get shots of the valley I live in with Mt Hood in the background. I have a D800e with a 70-300 g, Tamron macro 100 , Nikon 85 1.8, Nikon 50 1.8, Nikon 18-35 g, and a Samyung 14mm.

I was thinking of taking off right at sunrise or so and staying in the air for up to an hour and was looking for suggestions on which lenses to bring
...Show more
That was me
Niall

Apr 19, 2014 at 07:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

briancphoto
• •
p.4135 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Wow Steve. Thanks for all the great advice. I did talk to the pilot about an open window and she said it was possible but I wasn't sure how open it would be. Getting up before dawn is standard for landscapers and the pilot said she could start at 6 am so I am going to try for that.

The only advice I might have trouble following is the not changing lenses in midflight. My back up body is an iphone I don't really have a mid range zoom) So it is either start with the 70-300, which I am afraid will not be wide enough to get the whole valley and the mountain, or either the 50mm or the 18-35. I may just start with the 50 and try to switch once up or down depending on what it looks like. I hopefully will have my son and wife in the back to hold on to stuff as I switch. I guess I could rent a mid range zoom but I am trying to fly in the next few days as the blossoms are peaking and I am just waiting for the forcast to improve from its current cloudy with sprinkles Thanks again Brian

Apr 19, 2014 at 08:03 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.4135 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Is that 70-300G the one with, or without VR? Is it possible for you to borrow or rent another body?

briancphoto wrote:
Wow Steve. Thanks for all the great advice. I did talk to the pilot about an open window and she said it was possible but I wasn't sure how open it would be. Getting up before dawn is standard for landscapers and the pilot said she could start at 6 am so I am going to try for that.

The only advice I might have trouble following is the not changing lenses in midflight. My back up body is an iphone I don't really have a mid range zoom) So it is either start with the 70-300, which I am
...Show more

Apr 20, 2014 at 01:48 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.4135 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

briancphoto wrote:

The only advice I might have trouble following is the not changing lenses in midflight. My back up body is an iphone I don't really have a mid range zoom) So it is either start with the 70-300, which I am
...Show more

You're welcome, Brian. The window will hover open, close to the wing, in flight. If you can close the window (and you should be able to since the closing lever mechanism is still there, just disassembled), changing lenses is less likely to leave you with a pile of crud on the sensor. Good luck!

Apr 20, 2014 at 02:40 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4135 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Welcome Brian! You just got advice from one of the best on the ground, or in the air, follow what Zim said and you'll be fine. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the fact that you'll need to take the screw out of the little sliding arm on the side of the Cessna's window in order for it to "fly" . Use the longer lens with caution, it's a prescription for air sickness if you aren't a seasoned aerial shooter, and the possibility for losing sharpness also goes up exponentially.

Good luck, and let us see the results!

JW

Apr 20, 2014 at 03:47 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4135 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Zim, your helicopter image is wonderful!

Apr 20, 2014 at 03:48 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4135 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Chandler and I had a great day today, r/c flying early for a few hours, back home for the annual Easter egg hunt, then back out to fly 1:1 scale until dusk. The way a day should be!

Apr 20, 2014 at 03:51 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.4135 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

You can never have too many Dragon Rapide shots.

Stereo-X pair, for cross-eyed viewing

Apr 20, 2014 at 05:12 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.4135 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I knew I needed all 600mm for this shot: EF300 f/4L + 2.0 TC III. Wish the combo was a little sharper, though.

Warbirds Over Wanaka 2014 final day: C-130 flare drop

Apr 20, 2014 at 05:14 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.4135 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Stealth Staggerwing!

Warbirds Over Wanaka 2014 final day

Apr 20, 2014 at 09:35 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.4135 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Duo Discus XL high speed pass with ballast dump, flown by Gavin Wills.

Apr 20, 2014 at 09:52 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password