FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              4126      
       4128              4532       4533       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4127 #1 · p.4127 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

You can go round and round with all the possibilities but, as always, follow the money. The dance studio has two reasons for limiting photography to their own shooter. The first is that they want to rule out a million different flashes and phones and iPads disturbing the performance, the second (and the order may well be reversed) is that they hold all the cards and you have to buy their stuff, or not.

Most attendees aren't you Dan, they are folks who don't care about destroying the performance for everyone else, so they will be crawling to the stage, standing up, flashing whatever. You, me and the rest of us here could be there, shoot a zillion images and they wouldn't even know we're there, but that's not true of the general public.

Here's my approach, and it's worked since forever. Get to know someone that can pull strings, build a relationship of sorts, whatever it takes. In most cases it can be done. Heck, you can probably outshoot their "pro". The subtle approach generally works, find out who is pulling the strings and see what can be done.

Apr 27, 2015 at 09:55 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4127 #2 · p.4127 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

DanNehmer wrote:
Question here for the collective brain trust. As a parent of a young lady involved in dance what rights to photographing her performance(s) do I have? I would like to capture her and have my own memories, this is not for any sharing or posting on the internet. Let's just say I was asked to stop/not take photo's.

The setting was a local public high school, not the dance studio's private facility. They did state no photography or video allowed but on what grounds can they do that? They did have a professional videographer taping the event so someone can record
...Show more

Is there a ticket of any kind required to attend this event or can the public simply walk in off the street unchallenged?

As I understand it, If there's a ticket or other means of "crowd control" exists (even if it's free) and entrance is not open to anyone who cares to just wander in, then the notion of "public" no longer holds up and it becomes "their sandbox .. their rules."

Apr 27, 2015 at 10:41 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4127 #3 · p.4127 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I think you are exactly right Jay.

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:11 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.4127 #4 · p.4127 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Dan,

My niece does Irish dancing in the UK. They have similar rules. A lot of it I believe is to do with 'child protection' issues where other children can end up in photos against the wishes of parents etc. It's therefore easier for them just to put a blanket ban on photography, rather than deal with the hassle of irate parents. The sports forum here might offer some further insight as there are probably similar issues surrounding kids soccer, baseball etc. for parent photographers versus organisation hired / approved photographers.

Mark

Apr 28, 2015 at 09:54 AM
nrferguson
• • • •
p.4127 #5 · p.4127 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

We have reached such a ridiculous situation in the UK over "child protection" that there is a move to ban all published photos of children (even in crowd scenes) unless their faces have been scrambled! This idea has been proposed by one parent and we seem to have reached a state where one half-baked idea can be taken up by social and published media and risks being adopted because politicians fear they might lose votes if they don't support it!

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:06 AM
CosmicCruiser
• • •
p.4127 #6 · p.4127 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

right you are nferguson, A buddy of mine in the UK told me that at his kid's school no parent is allowed to take pictures at any school function that has any other child's face in it! Where is the sanity? I myself had a very embarrassing incident on Sydney Harbor shooting and some school kids were in my photos. I was asked to cease shooting!

Apr 28, 2015 at 01:21 PM
Go4Long
• • • •
p.4127 #7 · p.4127 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

CosmicCruiser wrote:
right you are nferguson, A buddy of mine in the UK told me that at his kid's school no parent is allowed to take pictures at any school function that has any other child's face in it! Where is the sanity? I myself had a very embarrassing incident on Sydney Harbor shooting and some school kids were in my photos. I was asked to cease shooting!

In the Sydney Harbour (would it not be queens english spelling of Harbour?) situation I would tell the parent, politely, where to shove it. In a public place there is absolutely ZERO expectation of privacy, school function or not, they have no rights to the location, and no rights to restrict your actions on it. Granted, that might net you being declared persona non grata for future school functions...hence the reason I said politely. Explain to them why they don't have the right to restrict your actions there, and why the school doesn't have a legal leg to stand on.Be diplomatic, approach it as an education to them on the legalities of what they are trying to do, and hope for the best. If that doesn't work, welllllll...just because they're teachers doesn't mean they're law teachers.

Apr 28, 2015 at 05:28 PM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.4127 #8 · p.4127 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Finally got to fly with the Cirrus that we scubbed a few weeks back due to Bonanza mechanical. Not much of a Cirrus fan but this one looks pretty nice.

Glenn

Apr 28, 2015 at 05:53 PM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.4127 #9 · p.4127 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Glenn

Apr 28, 2015 at 05:53 PM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.4127 #10 · p.4127 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Always get a kick out of this - every Cirrus that Andrew has flown for me vents fuel out of both wings at some point during a slip. I guess Cirrus didnt design their fuel system to be used with rudders.

Glenn

Apr 28, 2015 at 05:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.4127 #11 · p.4127 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Sharp looking plane

Apr 28, 2015 at 05:56 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.4127 #12 · p.4127 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Nice "Cirries" Glenn...

Apr 28, 2015 at 08:08 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.4127 #13 · p.4127 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Just back from the annual Red Star formation clinic at Porterville, CA and while there will be Yaks and Nanchangs to come, this was just too cool a subject to not wander over and shoot at the attack base next door...

Apr 28, 2015 at 08:10 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4127 #14 · p.4127 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

A quick clip I put together in Final Cut yesterday, captured with the Sony 1000 POV, make sure you select HD..........

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:57 PM
Go4Long
• • • •
p.4127 #15 · p.4127 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Security settings are no bueno Jim.

Nevermind. Operator was no bueno.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:16 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4127 #16 · p.4127 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Yeah, that is weird. I guess Vimeo doesn't allow a direct link?

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:19 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4127 #17 · p.4127 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Glenn, that's not as weird as a 7.5 M$ biz jet, that shall remain un-named, which required rocking the wings occasionally in the climb to avert fuel vapor lock. They were "working on it" I was told as we did our shoot.

Apr 29, 2015 at 12:29 AM
Ttown Aubie
• •
p.4127 #18 · p.4127 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

That is some really sharp video Jim. I wish I had a 4K screen to watch that on.

Apr 29, 2015 at 12:35 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.4127 #19 · p.4127 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

MMcGrath wrote:
Dan,

My niece does Irish dancing in the UK. They have similar rules. A lot of it I believe is to do with 'child protection' issues where other children can end up in photos against the wishes of parents etc. It's therefore easier for them just to put a blanket ban on photography, rather than deal with the hassle of irate parents. The sports forum here might offer some further insight as there are probably similar issues surrounding kids soccer, baseball etc. for parent photographers versus organisation hired / approved photographers.

Mark

I shot a lot of girls soccer as my daughter grew up, from U8 through high school. I'm sure it helped that all the parents knew me, but I always expected someone would eventually complain that I made the photos available to all the parents in public Smugmug galleries. I was prepared to password protect them if necessary, but surprisingly it never came up.

Glenn, that head-on shot of the Cirrus is beautiful!

Mark

Apr 29, 2015 at 12:53 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4127 #20 · p.4127 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thank you! I shot it in 4K, but reduced it to 2048 HD for the Vimeo upload. The Sony doesn't allow stabilization when shooting 4K. I see a tiny bit of "jello" in the clip, but it's the least I have ever seen from a POV cam in that scenario.The air was pretty solid, so I decided to see what the outcome would be. I have it reset for HD and am going to fly some stabilized footage in the next few days. One feature that I wish the Sony had is reduced fields of view, it has 170 & 120 degrees depending upon the resolution and codec. GoPro has that feature, but no stabilization in any mode.

Apr 29, 2015 at 01:09 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password