Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              4107      
       4109              4378       4379       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4108 #1 · p.4108 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Revisited a couple

NightOwl Cat 2014

NightOwl Cat 2014

it does have wings :D

Mar 24, 2014 at 01:54 AM
camdenthrasher

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4108 #2 · p.4108 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks. Someone referenced me to this thread so I figured I would post something. I shoot motorsports for a living but the aviation stuff is just for fun when I happen to be near a show when I'm shooting a car race somewhere. After shooting Reno Air Races last year, I've been on a little more of an airplane kick lately.

Here are a few more from the airshow at MacDill this weekend. Hoping to catch the Blue Angels practice this wednesday as well before St. Pete GP.

http://www.camden-thrasher.com/blog/?p=3849

Mar 24, 2014 at 02:10 AM
gerov
• • • • •
p.4108 #3 · p.4108 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Camdenthrasher,
very nice series on your blog. I'm particularly fascinated by the ones where it looks like you shot at the sun and the clouds have a real heat haze quality to them.

I'd love to hear more about how you captured / processed those.

Thanks,
Gero

Mar 24, 2014 at 02:16 AM
gerov
• • • • •
p.4108 #4 · p.4108 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

So I have two questions with respect to said Saudi BBJ and accompanying Bombardier - do they have the range to make it back to Saudi Arabia, or are they likely based in DC for the embassy, and secondly, I note that the tires are not retracted into sealed wheel wells - how do they holdup when the jets are flying at altitude?

Just curious...

Gero

Mar 24, 2014 at 02:21 AM
kwbarnes
• •
p.4108 #5 · p.4108 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

gerov wrote:
(deleted) I note that the tires are not retracted into sealed wheel wells - how do they holdup when the jets are flying at altitude?

Just curious...

Gero

Gerov,

The Boeing 737 airliner's mains also retract into unsealed wheel wells. The 737 has been flying commercially since the mid 1960's, and is still in production. If the exposed wheels were an issue, they would have been fixed along time ago.

Mar 24, 2014 at 05:12 AM
11rdgr88
• •
p.4108 #6 · p.4108 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

The Blue Angels are back for 2014.

Taken at the LA County Air Show last Saturday.

Blue Angels schedule.. .http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/media/show/2014ShowSchedule.pdf

Mar 24, 2014 at 05:56 AM
dtw757
• •
p.4108 #7 · p.4108 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Spent a couple of hours on the ramp with this F7F Tigercat and none other than Steve Hinton as a very gracious host. He was headed out to Ft Lauderdale from Portland Oregon.
Over the past 28 years of commercial flying, I have run into him 5 or 6 times and his down to earth friendliness has always struck me as being a truly genuine person.

Mar 24, 2014 at 06:50 AM
misster
• • •
p.4108 #8 · p.4108 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

A new season is about to start

Mar 24, 2014 at 08:32 AM
futurshox
• • • •
p.4108 #9 · p.4108 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Here's some rocks above Horseshoe Bend in 3D.

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:46 AM
nrferguson
• • •
p.4108 #10 · p.4108 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I have entered an on-line photo-competition for sport photos at Photocrowd which is judged by a judge, but also by on-line vote. At the moment I am lying 9th out of 213 images in the on-line vote with 17 days to go. You can either "pass", "like" or "love" an image - few more likes or (preferably) loves would be a great help.
The image is of the Round the Isle of Wight yacht race 2013 as below, and the link to vote (you don't have to vote on all images, you can stop at any point) is

https://www.photocrowd.com/a/current

Niall

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

camdenthrasher

p.4108 #11 · p.4108 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

gerov wrote:
Camdenthrasher,
very nice series on your blog. I'm particularly fascinated by the ones where it looks like you shot at the sun and the clouds have a real heat haze quality to them.

I'd love to hear more about how you captured / processed those.

Thanks,
Gero

The ones I think you are talking about were indeed shot basically into the sun. With this in mind, I shot them severely underexposed so that I could bring out the detail in the sky and the smoke, and leave the planes as silhouettes. The light/high cloud cover gave some great texture in the sky. In processing, I brought the exposure down a bit more and added a good amount of contrast make the image overall a bit more punchy.

Mar 24, 2014 at 02:18 PM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.4108 #12 · p.4108 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

camdenthrasher wrote:
Thanks. Someone referenced me to this thread so I figured I would post something. I shoot motorsports for a living but the aviation stuff is just for fun when I happen to be near a show when I'm shooting a car race somewhere. After shooting Reno Air Races last year, I've been on a little more of an airplane kick lately.

Here are a few more from the airshow at MacDill this weekend. Hoping to catch the Blue Angels practice this wednesday as well before St. Pete GP.

http://www.camden-thrasher.com/blog/?p=3849

Camden - Your recent images are wonderful; thank you for sharing. Is there a way to subscribe to your blog? I'd appreciate being able to keep up with your terrific work. Thanks.

BTW, your partial image of top half what appears to me to be a B-52 is a stunner

Mar 24, 2014 at 05:17 PM
camdenthrasher

p.4108 #13 · p.4108 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I don't have a subscribe function at the moment, but if you go to http://www.camden-thrasher.com/blog/ you will be met with a giant stream of everything I've shot recently...and then if you finally reach the bottom of the page then you can click to the next one. It's a bit of a goofy setup at the moment, so excuse that.

Keep in mind the majority of what is on my blog is car related...so I hope you like that

Mar 24, 2014 at 06:40 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.4108 #14 · p.4108 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Nothing with wings right at the moment but I did just spend three days up at Arizona's version of the "Big Dig"

18-frame stitched pano from Hopi Point

100% Crop from the center. There's a little detail in this...

Edited on Mar 24, 2014 at 08:01 PM · View previous versions

Mar 24, 2014 at 07:55 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.4108 #15 · p.4108 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

And since the "Wildlife Photographer turned Aviation Expert" job has been filled already, I've decided to migrate the other direction....

Mar 24, 2014 at 07:58 PM
gerov
• • • • •
p.4108 #16 · p.4108 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jay,
when you do an 18 shot pano like that, how much do you have to adjust/correct for cloud movement during the time it takes you to shoot all 18 frames, or is it not significant enough to matter. I would think that the cloud movement could also impact lighting across frames.

Thanks,
Gero

Mar 24, 2014 at 08:21 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.4108 #17 · p.4108 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Largest pano I ever did was 147 vertical frames (yes, 147, it was 300,000 pixels wide, did it as an exercise to see if my computer was up for the challenge). It took me about 1 minute to take all the shots. I didn't worry about cloud movement because the adjacent frames in the pano would be close enough to not matter. If I was doing a 360 degree pano, that would certainly be something to worry about, but in a pano like this, not really an issue (at least for me).

Mar 24, 2014 at 08:39 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.4108 #18 · p.4108 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

There was little to no wind (at the surface) and given that I'm banging away hand held taking just enough time to try and leave something recognizable from frame to frame for CS6 CC to align, I don't think cloud motion was a problem.

The biggest challenge in processing that pano was getting the exposure to balance from side to side for both the sky and they terrain. The sky was far more washed out at camera left and the terrain was more washed out at camera right. Layers for each with gradients running in opposite directions more or less cured that problem.

Mar 24, 2014 at 09:07 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.4108 #19 · p.4108 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Now this you can call a Pano In The Z Axis...

Five bracketed frames, stacked, masked and then I went in and picked out the next brighter areas in each frame by hand...

Mojave Magic

Mar 24, 2014 at 09:11 PM
gerov
• • • • •
p.4108 #20 · p.4108 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jay,
that is stunningly beautiful. Wow

Gero

Mar 25, 2014 at 02:14 AM
1       2       3              4107      
       4109              4378       4379       end