Reflections

Edited on Mar 16, 2015 at 01:47 PM · View previous versions

Mar 16, 2015 at 01:47 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4099 #2 · p.4099 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Beautiful Guys!

I'm exhausted, on top of all that's going on at home, we closed on Glenn's hangar finally and the boys and I spent a couple of days putting it back in the condition it was in when his goofy sister locked everyone out. It's lacking a couple of huge flags on the back wall, but we're in the process of fixing that.

Mar 16, 2015 at 03:38 AM
Go4Long
• • • •
p.4099 #3 · p.4099 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

The Air Canada paint scheme always makes me question the white balance.

Big Bird by Steven Szabo, on Flickr

Mar 16, 2015 at 08:21 AM
Bill Gass
• • • •
p.4099 #4 · p.4099 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff W. wrote:
Thanks for the info Ray. While I enjoy photographing these cool vintage workhorses, historical tractor info is not my specialty.

Whoops - Edit for TOPP:

Until you've sat on one of these you don't realize how high off the ground you are.
When we had to unload one of these from the trailer it was rather scary with no middle plank to drive down off of, just a left and right ramp, you would move the middle wheels to the left or right ramp really quick and then straighten it out before you tipped over, was an old international with hardly any brakes.

Mar 16, 2015 at 03:19 PM
INNflight
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4099 #5 · p.4099 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I remember Leadville, CO fondly. Was pretty exciting flying there for the first time, doing some cross-country hour building. Also still go the t-shirt 7 years later and wear it occasionally.

I just digged through some old photos as I am in the process of updating my website portfolio and figured I'd share these two Hornets with you all.

Cheers,
Florian

Mar 16, 2015 at 04:08 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4099 #6 · p.4099 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hi Florian,

That is an exceptional capture!!

Mar 16, 2015 at 04:42 PM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.4099 #7 · p.4099 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Beautiful Guys!

I'm exhausted, on top of all that's going on at home, we closed on Glenn's hangar finally and the boys and I spent a couple of days putting it back in the condition it was in when his goofy sister locked everyone out. It's lacking a couple of huge flags on the back wall, but we're in the process of fixing that.

Jim maybe I missed something in the ongoing conversations but did you acquired Glenn's hangar?

Mar 16, 2015 at 05:51 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4099 #8 · p.4099 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Good Afternoon Jan Arie,

Happily, yes. I had it squeaky clean for Glenn's memorial service, but then his greedy sister swooped in and locked everything up so it has been over two years since it's been cleaned. The Tweet and the Stearman just sat in there and leaked. Chandler, Hunter and I work for several days and it is back to the condition Glenn would have wanted it in. Now we just need a nice jet to sit in the center of it

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:08 PM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.4099 #9 · p.4099 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Ow that is pretty cool that skipped past me I hope that you find something suitable to park there but knowing you a little you will. I know you stepped off the thought of owning a war bird but a nice shining business jet will do also
Hoping I will be able to come over again and take a look in the future.
My blood values are still not good have another check tomorrow and a nice visit to the hospital next week were I hope to hear what caused the DVT in my left leg..

Edit for Top

Sky Raider

Canon EOS-1D Mark II    100.0-400.0 mm lens    260mm    f/9.0    1/250s    50 ISO    0.0 EV  

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:41 PM
Razor17
• •
p.4099 #10 · p.4099 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Good Afternoon Jan Arie,

Happily, yes. I had it squeaky clean for Glenn's memorial service, but then his greedy sister swooped in and locked everything up so it has been over two years since it's been cleaned. The Tweet and the Stearman just sat in there and leaked. Chandler, Hunter and I work for several days and it is back to the condition Glenn would have wanted it in. Now we just need a nice jet to sit in the center of it

Start with a T-6...

Mar 17, 2015 at 02:23 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4099 #11 · p.4099 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Chandler would vote for that! When I first began flyint the T-6 it was far and away his favorite aircraft, and remains so today. What is not to like

Mar 17, 2015 at 04:56 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4099 #12 · p.4099 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Did a short first test with he Sony 1000 POV this evening. Shot it in HD, not 4K, and low to very low light. I like the form factor much better than the GoPro. The Zeiss lens is darn sharp and the low light capability blows my Hero 3 units away. I don't have a 3+, or a 4 so I can't compare. The Sony stabilization is noticeably better than my GoPro, which has no stabilization. I didn't begin to shoot with it until after sunset and it did very well initially, getting noisy as it got darker, but still pretty decent. The early dusk light footage was better than anything I have seen from a POV camera so far. The acid test will be shop in the T-38, but I think it will do well.

I'm going to test it in 4K tomorrow.

Mar 17, 2015 at 05:04 AM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.4099 #13 · p.4099 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim,

Any ideas yet as to where you plan to mount the Sony cams on the T-38?

Mar 17, 2015 at 12:08 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4099 #14 · p.4099 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hi Mark,

Not exactly, but I'm thinking one in the front cockpit facing aft and one in the rear of the front cockpit facing forward, then the same for the rear cockpit. We'll start with four and see what the coverage looks like.

Mar 17, 2015 at 01:21 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.4099 #15 · p.4099 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim,

Here's how I would mount them:

Camera 1: Front Cockpit forward facing. Mounted next to HUD or in front of HUD to give forward looking view.

Camera 2: Front Cockpit rearward facing. Mounted near bottom of instrument panel, angled slightly up. Should be able to show stick, pilot and canopy.

Camera 3: Rear cockpit forward facing. Mounted on canopy to give over the shoulder view looking towards instrument panel.

Camera 4: Rear cockpit rearward facing. Mounted on top of rear instrument panel coaming, pointed direct at pilot. Good "selfie" cam and should give shots showing wings and rear fuselage in frame as well.

I have some ideas for exterior mounted cams, but these might not be doable.

Mar 17, 2015 at 06:41 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4099 #16 · p.4099 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks for the ideas Mark. We'll do a few experimental flights to determine the most advantageous locations. One of the challenges is tapping into the audio, we're working with the avionics folks. I had planned on testing the Sony out a little more today but had lots of aerials to capture before I leave town and weather is moving in from the north and the south, no time for play.

Edited on Mar 18, 2015 at 01:52 AM · View previous versions

Mar 18, 2015 at 12:04 AM
Razor17
• •
p.4099 #17 · p.4099 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Well Jim, you can always upgrade to a P-51, the smiles will never leave the face or your memories...

Mar 18, 2015 at 01:22 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4099 #18 · p.4099 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Right you are Lynn, and in the not too distant past I had that picture in my head, but for me at 65.9, I think that ship has sailed. On the other hand, a beautiful Six would be a very nice addition to the hangar, and I'm reasonably confident I could keep it out of a smoking hole My Buddy Gunny is about the best T-6 stick and instructor around, so I have that going for me as well.

Mar 18, 2015 at 01:48 AM
Razor17
• •
p.4099 #19 · p.4099 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Right you are Lynn, and in the not too distant past I had that picture in my head, but for me at 65.9, I think that ship has sailed. On the other hand, a beautiful Six would be a very nice addition to the hangar, and I'm reasonably confident I could keep it out of a smoking hole My Buddy Gunny is about the best T-6 stick and instructor around, so I have that going for me as well.

Roger that, Chuck is as well...

Mar 18, 2015 at 02:57 AM
Razor17
• •
p.4099 #20 · p.4099 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Chandler would vote for that! When I first began flyint the T-6 it was far and away his favorite aircraft, and remains so today. What is not to like

I say the same thing when I'm on the walk around...

Mar 18, 2015 at 03:01 AM
1       2       3              4098      
       4100              4534       4535       end

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              4098      
       4100              4534       4535       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password