FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              4090      
       4092              4533       4534       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4091 #1 · p.4091 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I can tell you what they did Ray, prayed a lot and hoped for some grainy shots that were usable. Yours is beautiful. Do you remember Ektachrome 400, pushed to 1600? Think dots with an image hidden in them

Mar 07, 2015 at 04:41 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4091 #2 · p.4091 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Hi Mark,

3.5 minute flight in instrument conditions, known ice, four male adults on board in a V Tail Beech. The only thing they might have done differently to assure their untimely end, would have been to have a Dr./pilot

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/03/04/ntsb-reportedly-considers-re-opening-probe-buddy-holly-plane-crash/#

Throw in a young (in-experienced?) pilot with that and the original findings should stand.

I wasn't aware that this guy had emailed the NTSB asking them to look at it again, I was led to believe that it was because of a petition.

Mar 07, 2015 at 04:50 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.4091 #3 · p.4091 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I bet they also replaced a lot of bulbs in the enlarger with all the burn and dodge...

Mar 07, 2015 at 04:51 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4091 #4 · p.4091 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Imagine being one of the guys who lost the coin toss, or passed due to the $36 cost. When it's your time, it's your time, and when it's not, it's not.

It amazes me to this day the number of people who will blindly board a GA aircraft in crummy (or good) weather, not knowing anything about the plane, the pilot, or how to fly. The EAA Young Eagles program is something that I have very mixed emotions about. Certainly it does a great work in promoting GA and EAA, but I know many of the pilots and planes when the events are held locally. I see these people come out and put their most precious little ones into a tin can with wings that they know zero about, and wave excitedly as their children taxi out with a pilot they met four minutes ago. Seems crazier than heck to me.

Mar 07, 2015 at 05:08 PM
FotoBuf78

p.4091 #5 · p.4091 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
I can tell you what they did Ray, prayed a lot and hoped for some grainy shots that were usable. Yours is beautiful. Do you remember Ektachrome 400, pushed to 1600? Think dots with an image hidden in them

And I thought I had it bad with Fuji Press 800 pushed to 3200.... Kids today don't know how lucky they have it

Mar 07, 2015 at 05:36 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4091 #6 · p.4091 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Boy is that ever the truth! Remember GAF ISO 1000? Must have been inspired by the "Pointillism" movement

Mar 07, 2015 at 05:45 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4091 #7 · p.4091 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

We have waxed nostalgically over the years about the days of film. I was thinking about shooting 4x5 transparency film just the other day. Truthfully, I think if I was still shooting film I would have hung up the spurs a while back, it's just too demanding. Refrigerators, coolers with dry ice, light leaks, 1/2 stop dynamic ranges, overnight processing times, or waiting at the lab while they did me incessant favors and put my film in front of everyones because I was waiting for it. Not to mention interpreting crummy two dollar Polaroids and trying to base a real exposure on something that had a DR of about .3 of a stop. Color tolerance! Oh don't get me going on film and mixed light! Yup, I definitely would be off shooting large format landscapes of my choosing if my everyday work had to be on film, and come to think of it, that wouldn't be all that bad.

My last film shoot was for the IRS, well, I guess 50% of my digital assignments are for the IRS!

Mar 07, 2015 at 05:55 PM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.4091 #8 · p.4091 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

FotoBuf78 wrote:
And I thought I had it bad with Fuji Press 800 pushed to 3200.... Kids today don't know how lucky they have it

been there done that at one time i was at my local camera store and he had the Fuji 800 Press at that time i didn't know anything about ASA etc. so my thought's were If I buy that film I would be king of the hill.
Well that was a big disappointment.
The only film that I had good results with was Agfa Scala 200 That was a slide film, sometimes I pushed this film to 400 with some very good results...

And Fuji Velvia I had very good results with Ahhh the good old days

Mar 07, 2015 at 06:51 PM
Ttown Aubie
• •
p.4091 #9 · p.4091 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Interesting video on the crash. I cannot imagine what Waylon Jennings put himself through in the years after the crash.

When they were getting ready to board the plane Buddy told Waylon that he hoped he froze on the bus. Waylons response was well I hop your old plane crashes.

" target="_blank">

Mar 07, 2015 at 07:28 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.4091 #10 · p.4091 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Ttown Aubie wrote:
Interesting video on the crash. I cannot imagine what Waylon Jennings put himself through in the years after the crash.

When they were getting ready to board the plane Buddy told Waylon that he hoped he froze on the bus. Waylons response was well I hop your old plane crashes.

" target="_blank">

Probably why he spent so much time on Wayside Drive in Houston...

Mar 07, 2015 at 07:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4091 #11 · p.4091 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Oh man, although a glib remark has nothing to do with the crash, that would kind of bother you. They began a time honored tradition of musicians meeting their Maker via an aircraft.

Mar 07, 2015 at 07:59 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.4091 #12 · p.4091 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

My wife and I use to go to Gilley's in Pasadena to see a lot of musicians. We didn't drink beer or any of that, but where else could you go to see acts like Willie Nelson and stand 10 feet from the stage for $10 or less? Most performances were only a $5 cover, but Willie was a big draw. We stopped going after we noticed the acts we would go see died after we saw them...Marty Robbins, Ricky Nelson...

Guess I thought I was a jinx.

Mar 07, 2015 at 08:36 PM
nrferguson
• • • •
p.4091 #13 · p.4091 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jan-Arie Agfa Scala 200 was a great slide film - I used to use it a lot. Scala 50 was the only B&W slide film and I used it a lot too - to copy historic railway photos (I have a collection of about 12,000 stretching back to the 1850s - mainly Scotland - I've written three books about Scottish Railways and, having just been told that the NHS will be making redundant at the end of the month, I might get the fourth one finished!) which I used for talks - now it's all done with a scanner and Powerpoint
Niall

Mar 07, 2015 at 10:28 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4091 #14 · p.4091 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

That's impressive Niall!

Mar 07, 2015 at 10:49 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.4091 #15 · p.4091 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I bet Sir Donald, like Mr. Ferguson, has a few triumphs as well...

Mar 07, 2015 at 10:55 PM
nrferguson
• • • •
p.4091 #16 · p.4091 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
That's impressive Niall!

That's not what my wife thinks!

Mar 08, 2015 at 12:14 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4091 #17 · p.4091 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I just sent a note to a long time friend who heads up the FAA FISDO in an area of the country that shall remain un named. I've read so much re: UAV use and current/pending regulations, that I don't have a clue where it all stands. If it is illegal, and I believe it is, to fly UAV's for profit without approval from the FAA, they are missing the boat because there are literally thousands of people doing it every day across the US, it's ridiculous. The clients have no idea that it's against regs, or that the vast majority have no liability insurance. This is getting to be a bigger mess by the day because more and more clients are asking me if I can provide the service. I don't want to, don't want the liability, the service does not fit within my pricing range in most cases anyway, but I just don't want to be involved in it. On the other hand, I don't want the aerial market to be diluted by people who are flying UAV's for a hundred bucks, if it's illegal.

I at least need to be able to clearly define where the regs are at the moment, when my clients ask about it.

Mar 08, 2015 at 01:25 AM
FotoBuf78

p.4091 #18 · p.4091 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jan-Arie wrote:
been there done that at one time i was at my local camera store and he had the Fuji 800 Press at that time i didn't know anything about ASA etc. so my thought's were If I buy that film I would be king of the hill.
Well that was a big disappointment.
The only film that I had good results with was Agfa Scala 200 That was a slide film, sometimes I pushed this film to 400 with some very good results...

And Fuji Velvia I had very good results with Ahhh the good old days

We used it at the paper that I shot for, and ran it back at the office at the end of the day. I look back at the output, which looked great back then and it leaves much to be desired compared to what I get today....

I loved shooting Scala!! About the best way I ever found to get black and white transperancies. It definitely held up to a little push!

Mar 08, 2015 at 02:18 AM
FotoBuf78

p.4091 #19 · p.4091 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
We have waxed nostalgically over the years about the days of film. I was thinking about shooting 4x5 transparency film just the other day. Truthfully, I think if I was still shooting film I would have hung up the spurs a while back, it's just too demanding. Refrigerators, coolers with dry ice, light leaks, 1/2 stop dynamic ranges, overnight processing times, or waiting at the lab while they did me incessant favors and put my film in front of everyones because I was waiting for it. Not to mention interpreting crummy two dollar Polaroids and trying to base a real
...Show more

I went round that train of thought too. Nearly bought a 4x5 and moved to landscapes only.....

Mar 08, 2015 at 02:20 AM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.4091 #20 · p.4091 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
We have waxed nostalgically over the years about the days of film. I was thinking about shooting 4x5 transparency film just the other day. Truthfully, I think if I was still shooting film I would have hung up the spurs a while back, it's just too demanding. Refrigerators, coolers with dry ice, light leaks, 1/2 stop dynamic ranges, overnight processing times, or waiting at the lab while they did me incessant favors and put my film in front of everyones because I was waiting for it. Not to mention interpreting crummy two dollar Polaroids and trying to base a real
...Show more

When I was a little guy, I had a night job helping my dad at wedding reception shoots. He'd trip the shutter on his Linhof, eject the hot bulb out of the flash into my hands, I'd hand him a fresh bulb, he'd reload the next film holder and away we'd go to the next shot. When I started actually shooting weddings for him, I used a Bronica SQ and carried a large bag of 220. Gratefully, I had a Metz flash with the large/heavy battery slung over my shoulder. Dad was using Hasselblads and a Pentax 6x7 system for his architectural, commercial, weddings and aerial work. Countless rolls of 220 passed through his hands. Dad even invested in his own color processing equipment in the early '70s and we'd spend many hours debating the accuracy of the magenta and cyan settings.

If I've got to put bread on the table today, digital all the way

Mar 08, 2015 at 03:34 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password