1       2       3              4089      
       4091              4531       4532       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

futurshox
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4090 #1 · p.4090 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff W. wrote:
An F-16D Fighting Falcon belonging to the Republic of Singapore Air Force prepares to depart on a night training mission from Luke Air Force Base.

Pretty lights

Mar 06, 2015 at 02:30 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4090 #2 · p.4090 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

See, that's what Glenn and I talk about so often, if people would just let us have complete control of the imaging process, the results would be breathtaking every time. More often than not we are forced into taking what we can get, when we can get it, and we do pretty well given the restrictions, but if we are could call the shots, they'd look like that one!

I don't know if I exert more pressure on the photographic situation these days, or maybe I have risen to a level in the industry where new and existing clients appreciate what I am capable of producing for them, but over the last few years I have noticed that I am able to pretty much lay out the scenarios that will produce the work of their dreams, and the clients do what they can to help me, or at least give me the freedom that allows me to create those scenarios. Kind of nice actually, after decades of trying to fit round things into square openings, to have the freedom to create a product that fits exactly. After all, the investment for them is the same, and sometimes less, so why not do what we all can to make sure they get what they're paying for.

That is one of the reasons that our "Snakebite" shots from a few weeks ago turned out as they did, we brainstormed and everyone did whatever they could to make what we had asked for happen. As is so often the case, if we were an hour later on the vortices composition, it would have lost a considerable amount of it's punch. It's all about being able to "see" the shot ahead of time, (can't take credit for seeing the vortices, they were a bonus), thinking about that shot constantly so you refine what needs to happen to get it, then doing your best to keep all the pieces moving in that direction.

One of the things that I admire and respect about Glenn, is his ability to do all those things, keep his eye on the shot, and do whatever is necessary to herd the cats to the point where the shutter clicks and the goal is accomplished. Many people have the photographic talent to capture a stellar image once it's all set up and in from of them. Few are those photographers who can envision it, orchestrate all the aspects of it (without throwing in the towel half way through when it seems impossible), and then capture it. If you have all the tenacity necessary to accomplish that, then I think God rewards you with more than you envisioned, perfectly formed vortices for instance.........

Mar 06, 2015 at 02:55 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.4090 #3 · p.4090 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff W. wrote:
An F-16D Fighting Falcon belonging to the Republic of Singapore Air Force prepares to depart on a night training mission from Luke Air Force Base.

Lovely Jeff.

Mar 06, 2015 at 03:19 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.4090 #4 · p.4090 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks all for the kind words. I never get tired of doing these night shoots at Luke. I'm lucky to be invited.

FOLDED FLAGS

Mar 06, 2015 at 03:54 PM
Go4Long
• • • •
p.4090 #5 · p.4090 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff W. wrote:
Yes sir. He has been coming at least once a day for the past week. Unfortunately, he is an elusive target. Often he simply bounces and the heads back to DFW. Yesterday after he bounced at PHX, he flew back to DFW, bounced and came back to PHX. He stayed overnight - I think partially because of the snow they got at DFW. Anyways, he left this morning for DFW and is one his way back. Unfortunately, I'm on my way elsewhere so I won't have a shot at him today.

I LOVE the 787's shape, and the wings, it's one of the few commercial aircraft that I really believe is a beautiful airframe. We had Air Canada's first 787 fly in here for the opening of our new runway, it flew from Toronto, to Calgary, then did 4 touch and go's here, and 4 touch and go's in Edmonton (about a 45 minute flight north) before finally landing here. All of the touch and gos it never went back over 20'000ft, really impressive performance.

Mar 06, 2015 at 06:38 PM
nrferguson
• • • •
p.4090 #6 · p.4090 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Colin Giersberg wrote:
In the event that anyone here did not hear the news today.

http://allthingsaero.com/general-aviation/accidents-incidents/gallery-harrison-ford-crashes-vintage-airplane-on-l-a-golf-course

It made the UK national TV News this evening along with an item on the missing Malaysia 777 Someone suggested that the flight path had it semi-circling over Penang island before heading off, as if for a last look, and the pilot came from Penang - interesting
Niall

Mar 06, 2015 at 06:48 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4090 #7 · p.4090 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Old Harrison is darn lucky, or darn good, or both, those Ryan's have zero stall warning and the break is a tidy straight down look at what is directly beneath you. He obviously kept it flying. Is that a Birdie, or a Mulligan? I always get confused.

Mar 06, 2015 at 07:08 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.4090 #8 · p.4090 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

It's a DQ...he walked off the course...er...rolled off the course before he finished the hole. Lucky/darn good for sure!

Mar 06, 2015 at 07:21 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4090 #9 · p.4090 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Here's something that will get you scratching your head over use of government time and assets. They apparently have decided (the NTSB) to reopen the Bonanza crash that took the lives of Ritchie Valens, The Big Bopper, and Buddy Holly, otherwise know as "The Day The Music Died". Seems that someone has raised the possibility that fuel, cg, and or a skirmish in the cabin where a rudder pedal got pushed inadvertently, might have contributed to the crash. So, 56 years later they are thinking about reopening the investigation because an unqualified, non-instrument rated pilot, flew a V tail Bonanza into known icing conditions with four people on board. And, they think that they have better ways to determine these other possible causes almost six decades later?

Mar 06, 2015 at 07:32 PM
Ttown Aubie
• •
p.4090 #10 · p.4090 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Our tax dollars at work Jim! They use them wisely (sarcasm intended).

Mar 06, 2015 at 08:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.4090 #11 · p.4090 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

My buddy Mike Shore was in a pinch and needed a photo ship at the Mooney factory this morning so I flew him over there and flew his photo sortie with the CEO in a new Ovation. A brisk 25 degrees when we departed as a 2 ship - and I was toasty and warm in the front seat, an unusual treat!

And when hangar door was closing after we got home, it was a great feeling to know I didnt have a thousand pics to sort through when I got home! Maybe I shoulda been a formation pilot instead of a shooter

Glenn

Mar 06, 2015 at 08:18 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4090 #12 · p.4090 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Brrrrr! I have shot a lot for Mooney over the years but haven't contacted the new management. Your post makes me glad I've held off. Don't know if it's changed, but getting a day rate out of Mooney was like pulling teeth. They did always pay my rate, but I felt like I needed to add a day just for the negotiations. Their agency was the one who told me that they liked my images of the new Ovation much better, but a certain AOPA photographer was willing to sell them his shots for five bucks a piece. I told them "thanks for checking in with me...!"

Mar 06, 2015 at 11:17 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4090 #13 · p.4090 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Oh yeah, you were warm, and didn't have thousands of images to edit, but the down side is, you didn't have thousands of images to edit

I did a little work on our image for a certain magazine cover, here's a preview..............

Mar 06, 2015 at 11:23 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4090 #14 · p.4090 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

The masthead will fit nicely and the bullet points down in th lower right will fill that space perfectly. This scenario answers the age old question, "Well just how many megapixels does a guy need?!" My answer has always been, "Every one he can get!" Making a vertical 11inch/300dpi cover shot from a horizontal original just squeaks you by when you start out with an 18.1 mp original. Now a D810 file will do ya proud in those situations, leaving you with a vertical file that is most likely larger than the original from a 1DX. The conundrum is, that shot would have been a real gamble at 5fps......

Mar 06, 2015 at 11:39 PM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.4090 #15 · p.4090 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I just love making photos in the shape of covers. I have 3 for March!

Glenn

Mar 07, 2015 at 02:02 AM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.4090 #16 · p.4090 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Glenn Watson wrote:
I just love making photos in the shape of covers. I have 3 for March!

Glenn

When I see those covers Glenn, I see more than gorgeous imagery. I also see a ton of planing, hard work, and execution. You've earned every one of those young man. Well done.

Mar 07, 2015 at 03:28 AM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.4090 #17 · p.4090 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim,

As far as I am aware, the NTSB said they would consider reopening the investigation.

This to my knowledge isn't because of some new evidence that throws significant doubt on the NTSB's original findings but more to do with the fact that a petition was launched on the White House website querying those original findings. I'm led to believe that if a petition gathers more than 100,000 signatures then it is a requirement to at least look at the request of the petitioner.

This is part of the problem when governments in trying to be open / transparent by allowing petitions then find that any sort of conspiracy theory can be looked at again if it generates enough signatures.

Mar 07, 2015 at 01:47 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.4090 #18 · p.4090 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Just had a play with the new Canon 11-24 F4 at my local camera store.

Wow. Big chunk of glass. Bigger than 24-70v2.
Front bulb is huge. 100mm + I reckon.

Felt heavy but well balanced on the 1DIV.
Amazing how wide it is as 11mm, even on a 1.3 crop camera.

Mar 07, 2015 at 01:50 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4090 #19 · p.4090 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hi Mark,

3.5 minute flight in instrument conditions, known ice, four male adults on board in a V Tail Beech. The only thing they might have done differently to assure their untimely end, would have been to have a Dr./pilot

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/03/04/ntsb-reportedly-considers-re-opening-probe-buddy-holly-plane-crash/#

Mar 07, 2015 at 02:08 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.4090 #20 · p.4090 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

We went to Dallas last night, great game and close, but we lost by 1

I have read how guys on the Sports Forum complain about the basketball arenas that are caves and flickering lights. I found that at the Dallas ISD Davis Field House. The Davis Field House is a cave with flickering lights. I was at 6400 ISO and still had to move sliders (I am not very good at noise removal so I try to avoid it). I can't imagine what people did in the film days.

Mar 07, 2015 at 03:31 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password