Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              4079      
       4081              4854       4855       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4080 #1 · p.4080 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks Jeff! The options to really see what it was capable of were pretty scarce, but I learned enough to draw me further in. Those images were 125th at f/9, just walking around. Take the image you just posted, can you imagine that in a 500MB file with a 14 stop dynamic range? It really kind of boggles the mind, as well it should given the tab. Just from the short time I was with the gear this morning, it's easy to see how a system like that, in the right hands, would set a photographer so far ahead of the pack it's unreal. The studio where the demo was held had large Phase One captured prints lining the hallway, and they were very striking, but I have to admit that I just kept thinking about what some of you here could do with a handful of that technology. I believe that it is truly so exceptional in it's ability to produce a quality image, that it would have one seeking out opportunities to stretch it's legs.

The 32 MB card I used indicated that I could shoot about 280 files. Obviously huge files, but given a frame rate of about 50 frames a minute, one is actually burning up fewer digits with the Phase One, than you would be with a 1DX or a D800. As we discussed when you were getting your Blad, these cameras force you to slow down a bit. I'd switch over to 128GB cards for this system just so you wouldn't have to fumble so much during air to airs, but the camera balance and sleek profile should work extremely well, and it's extra weight would be a stabilizing factor. The P1 with a Kenyon 4x4 screwed to it would certainly maintain the fitness of one's back, shoulders and arms, but it's very manageable.

I can envision the camera atop my RRS ball head set to f/16 and pointed toward a sunset drenched landscape, the results would be spectacular. If all goes as planned, this is timed perfectly because I'm headed to some great places with rare access in the near future.

Another cool feature is the P1's ability to create a wi-fi network with a laptop or an iPad and be completely controlled through them, as well as send imagery to them wirelessly. The P1 certainly doesn't negate the value of our Canon and Nikon gear, but it's another hammer in the tool box, and a big one.

Feb 26, 2014 at 02:56 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4080 #2 · p.4080 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

We had better keep this all to ourselves, I wouldn't want Zim to be tempted beyond his ability to resist............

Feb 26, 2014 at 03:00 AM
Wrei
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4080 #3 · p.4080 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Sunrise / sunsets...drooling...

Feb 26, 2014 at 03:06 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4080 #4 · p.4080 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

This sensor has double the dynamic range of the human eye. Wrap your head around that!

Feb 26, 2014 at 03:32 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4080 #5 · p.4080 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

How about this for image dimensions?

Feb 26, 2014 at 03:51 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.4080 #6 · p.4080 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff W. wrote:
Worked well for me Steve. Have a safe and enjoyable trip. I've got my fingers crossed for some vapor and great photo-ops for NAFEC. I'm looking forward to your photographs

Thanks, Jeff. Turns out I had to install a later version of Flash to get it to work for me.

After all the horror stories, I'll certainly take the warnings about whizzing propellers to heart.

I ventured a couple miles from the highway today to shoot Mexican Hat Rock with the Phantom 2. No video yet, but here is a stereo-X pair from the quad, and a photo of it ready to take off from the hood of my car.

Feb 26, 2014 at 05:16 AM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.4080 #7 · p.4080 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

A gorgeous car in gorgeous country Steve. That Utah dirt will wash off just fine. One last comment about NAFEC, if it rains late Wednesday or early Thursday, don't go down the dirt farm road to catch the morning BA practice - you'll get stuck. There will be some AzAP guys there happy to 4-wheel you in

Feb 26, 2014 at 05:41 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.4080 #8 · p.4080 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Latest forecast for Thursday at NAFEC is dry with a high of 81 and westerly winds at around 17mph...

30% chance of rain for Friday.

Feb 26, 2014 at 06:45 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.4080 #9 · p.4080 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Still on the fence about St George, UT in July, but there's no denying the backdrop here is kinda nice...

Osprey arriving back in 2012:

Feb 26, 2014 at 07:24 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.4080 #10 · p.4080 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

The views left of center are also kind of nice at St George...

Feb 26, 2014 at 08:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

stevezzzz
• • • •
p.4080 #11 · p.4080 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I put a couple of quadcopter videos from Mexican Hat up on my website:

http://www.stevezphoto.us/utah

I forget who asked (Jo, maybe?) but this version of the Phantom has a built-in gimbal and video camera: no GoPro required.

Feb 26, 2014 at 01:47 PM
futurshox
• • • •
p.4080 #12 · p.4080 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

T'wasn't me, I was asking how you carried yours.

Feb 26, 2014 at 03:14 PM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.4080 #13 · p.4080 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

T'was me, thanks!

with my R/c skills, i'd be scared to take that thing off the ground!

Feb 26, 2014 at 05:10 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.4080 #14 · p.4080 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I would love to give one a try. I have flown just about everything R/C with the exception of a turbine and a Quadcopter (I had the original Parrot AR Drone, but I didn't really feel that was true R/C). I used to do aerial photography with a GWS Slow Stick and a modified 1.3mp keychain camera. Was really fun.

I have to say this. The caliber of photographers in this thread astounds me. I love all things in the air, I can't shoot it worth beans, but you all can. This thread is always a treat for me. Thanks for doing what you do.

Feb 26, 2014 at 05:43 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4080 #15 · p.4080 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Beautiful Zim! i love the POV of you landing the drone in your hand, but didn't think about the number of stitches that could be involved. You would have had to look up the local Shaman from the looks of your location. Seems to me, looking at the design, that you weren't in great danger reaching up from below. You being a product design guy I figured you had it all mapped out before you snatched it.

Glad you're having a great time along the way. Don't worry about me, I'm just slaving away behind the 17 T/S trying to keep the economy above water.

Today I'm shooting this project using the CamRanger System. This little piece of technology is just wonderful, worth it's weight in gold. I can't believe that I didn't know anything about it's existence prior to a couple of weeks ago. Once you get a handle on all it can do, it saves you a million trips back to the camera, and I don't have to go to my MacBook Pro and download each perspective to double check it.

Can hardly wait to see what you get at El Centro. Don't let your drone get sucked through a Super Hornet!

Feb 26, 2014 at 07:20 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.4080 #16 · p.4080 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
We had better keep this all to ourselves, I wouldn't want Zim to be tempted beyond his ability to resist............

*snort*

Huh? Wha...? Did somebody call for my wallet?

Feb 26, 2014 at 08:06 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4080 #17 · p.4080 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I think I'm hooked Zim. Probably going to have to abandon my age old tradition of having at least one back up for every body/lens/strobe, I don't even want to begin to do the math on that. I called my insurance guy on the way home yesterday and he was happy to bump my policy ........ and the premium.

Like everyone, I really dislike paying those premiums. This morning when I was being tossed all over Hwy. 121 by a trailer that was hooked to me by the emergency chains and the electrical plug, my premiums looked pretty reasonable. What a way to begin the day. My diagnosis is, someone who was having a bad day, or a bad life, decided it would be fun to pull the retaining clip from the horizontal pin that holds the bar and ball in the receiver. There's no way that could have vibrated loose. I always do a walk around after I've hooked the trailer to the Landcrusher, but I didn't look directly at that retaining pin...that'll never happen again. The whole thing came unglued at 65 or 70, so it was pretty interesting for about 45 seconds as the trailer and the Landcrusher vied for position. I now have a lock on that pin. Another opportunity to appreciate the Grace and Providence of God. I guess, more importantly, if things turned out badly this morning, I know for a fact Whose Arms I would have landed in, and the Premium for that was paid 2,000 years ago by the best friend anyone could hope for.

Feb 26, 2014 at 08:58 PM
DanNehmer
• •
p.4080 #18 · p.4080 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim,

Glad to hear you are okay. When it comes to trailers I have a 3 step process.

1) Ball retaining nut is torqued to over 300 ft-lbs when installing to reciever
2) Ball retaining nut is welded to ball stud making it's presence permanent
3) Reciever and trailer pins are secured with locks, not pins, in place.

Why you ask? I have much experience with "articultated" vehicles, and none possitive when the point of articulation is lost!

Dan

Feb 26, 2014 at 09:55 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.4080 #19 · p.4080 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim,

By the sounds of things, it's not a Phase One setup you need, but one of these:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/mercedes-benz/g-class/road-test/6x6-driven

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:28 PM
gerov
• • • • •
p.4080 #20 · p.4080 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

To put Mark's link into perspective, watch this... http://www5.mercedes-benz.com/en/tv/g63-amg-6x6-showcar/

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:53 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password