1       2       3              4063      
       4065              4532       4533       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

msalvetti
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4064 #1 · p.4064 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

futurshox wrote:
Mark, I don't envy you the oil situation! Pretty Cardinal though. That's one shot we can never get, the bright red against the show.

Jim, I am sorry for the loss of your friend.

Thanks Jo.

Jim, condolences from me as well. It is something I think about, now that I'm in my 50's. I like to run/walk late at night, and I always try to have an ID with me in case someone finds me unresponsive by the side of the road.

Mark

Feb 10, 2015 at 03:33 PM
viczig
• • • •
p.4064 #2 · p.4064 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

msalvetti wrote:

I'm beginning to rethink this post of mine from a few days ago. Just got done with another couple of hours of snow blowing and shoveling. Since Jan 24 we've had over 5 feet of snow - I've run the snow blower 11 hrs. More snow due on Thursday, then zero degrees for the weekend.

Jo, you had commented that we seem to have a nice neighborhood. It really is, good neighbors, quiet, private. Not too many places around here where you can have complete privacy in the back yard, but our house has that, at least in the summer when
...Show more

Mark,

Isn't it grand living in MA this winter? I'm in my 70's and I must say this is the worst winter I can remember and its not even half time.

Vic

Feb 10, 2015 at 08:41 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.4064 #3 · p.4064 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Yup. I keep looking at those piles of snow and wishing I was 10 years old. Even now I'm tempted to tunnel into one and build a cave. Might as well try to have some fun.

I hope to get out and do some XC skiing, but I have just been too busy.

Hang in there, we're just a few weeks away from being on the back side. I remember how sweet last spring was, hopefully we'll have another nice one this year. We deserve it at this point.

Red Sox equipment truck leaves for Ft. Myers this Thursday!

Mark

Feb 10, 2015 at 09:05 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.4064 #4 · p.4064 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Feb 11, 2015 at 05:53 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4064 #5 · p.4064 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hang on Boys, the good thing is all that white stuff will melt and bring you a verdant Spring.

Jeff, I think, based upon the well worn like button, it's safe to say that your most recent posted image is a keeper! Beautiful!!

I wrapped up my trilogy in SW Fort Worth just after dusk yesterday. Not one of those shoots you really look forward to and as a result it takes an extra measure of vigilance to ensure that a best effort is still applied. This is a relatively new client that, up to this point, hasn't enlisted the services of a higher end photographer. I understand the reasoning, their product line consists of homes in the 120's, reaching maybe $200,000 on the extreme end. Builders in that range often just don't feel that they have the budget for good photography. This client has been very successful in the minority, first home market, helping individuals and families make that stretch from paying rent in multifamily complexes, to owning a home and being able to provide a neighborhood type environment for their children. I have to believe that the ability to do that is a big step in breaking some the the lifestyle syndromes that plague minority families. The more I work with the people in this company, the more I realize how dedicated they are to this mission, and what good people they are.

I learned long ago that what many would consider lower end single family housing, is an almost unimaginable dream to a lot of people. Early on while I was shooting an assignment in Houston that consisted of homes that were literally apartments without common walls, selling for 75 to 90 grand, that "there but for the Grace of God go I....". Even the agency that gave me the assignment made sarcastic remarks about the level of the product and that I was in for a challenge making the homes look like something other than government housing. Heading down to do the assignment I can remember being influenced by the chiding and letting it affect my attitude going in. While I was setting up and shooting, one family after another came to look at the models, all minorities, obviously all struggling. The common thread was the reactions I witnessed. If it was a couple with no children, the husbands and wives would ooooh and aaaah as they walked through what was basically a three or four room floor plan with a full bath and a powder room. The families with kids touched me even more deeply because the kids would run from room to room excitedly viewing what would be a dream come true for them. That week was very humbling and equally convicting, like most every day, God was there and He was in His serious teaching mode.

I composed and lit those properties with the care and precision that "dream" homes deserve. When I delivered the images to the agency they were beside themselves with the captures and the effort I put in. There were a number of jokes made early on, until I related the story that I just told you here. I'm sure that my eyes welled up once or twice in the discourse, when talking about the kids and their reactions to the homes. I think, I hope, that a renewed perspective helped them create a more dedicated marketing plan for their client.

Anyway, yesterday's home were very nice, just on a much less grandiose scale when compared to my normal subjects. I was feeling a little down anticipating the dormant winter landscape, smaller designs, absence of perks like landscape lighting and lushly appointed yards and beds, but the memories of my Houston "teaching moment", came back in technicolor and I had a "Dutch Uncle" talk with myself on the way over and all through the next day and a half. It's easy to be fired up about a high end shoot where everything is working in your favor, but much like life, it's the one's that challenge you and require you to dig deep to do your very best, that build character.

Feb 11, 2015 at 03:51 PM
Go4Long
• • • •
p.4064 #6 · p.4064 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim,

Touching tale. It's easy in today's day and age of always wanting the latest and greatest (says the guy that just bought his wife an iPhone 6 for her birthday) to forget that for some people just having a home to call their own is a dream, and often an unattainable one.

I think it's part of the human condition of late, and I know that I'm guilty of it as well, to lose sight of the fact that not everyone can do the things that we all do, whether it be travel, hobbies, or home ownership.

Feb 11, 2015 at 04:02 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4064 #7 · p.4064 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Exactly Steven. By the same token, we shouldn't feel guilty because we have been blessed with the ability and where with all to do the things we do for ourselves and our families, and we certainly shouldn't be derided, penalized or targeted because of our achievements. Hopefully our hearts lead us to share our faith, successes, talent and our work ethic with others, in the proportion that we are convicted is called for.

You have gotten up on a lot of cold bleak mornings, and stayed late when you'd rather have been home, so you could provide some of those frills to those you love. It's what we do, and oh yeah, it's also what makes the economic world go 'round, take no small measure of satisfaction in that.

Feb 11, 2015 at 04:21 PM
nickjohnson
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4064 #8 · p.4064 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Right. We've all had it with the winter blues. What we need around here are some harbingers of Spring.

Feb 11, 2015 at 04:25 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4064 #9 · p.4064 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

In a short while I will be hopping on a very nice ride, to go meet with some soon to be new clients, so I can build up a bigger backlog of those early mornings and long evenings. Y'all have a wonderful day, wherever it might take you!

Feb 11, 2015 at 04:26 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4064 #10 · p.4064 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Nothing like new life is there Nick?!

Feb 11, 2015 at 04:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Wrei
• • • •
p.4064 #11 · p.4064 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Spending time at Helping Hands in Belton can bring one down to what reality is for one segment of our population. I am happy there are people taking time to serve up a couple fish and loaves of bread...

Feb 11, 2015 at 04:35 PM
DanNehmer
• •
p.4064 #12 · p.4064 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim,

Thanks for sharing! It is easy to think at times what we have is "normal" but that isn't always the case. The dream of a simple home or working car is real desire for many people in this world and it is easy to forget that. I try to live a modest middle class life but when I look at all that as a family we have, wow it is so much more than what is truly necessary.

We have been truly blessed,
Dan

Feb 11, 2015 at 04:36 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4064 #13 · p.4064 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Right you are Dan!

Ray! What a picture!! Proves out the 1,000 words adage. Good work down there my Brother.

Feb 11, 2015 at 05:28 PM
kwbarnes
• •
p.4064 #14 · p.4064 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim,

Your occasional architectural/real estate posts, usually have some interesting comments about lighting techniques, or the problems involved in shooting these types of environment's .

All of those posts are about "high end" projects. It would be interesting to see some of the results of your recent "lower end single family housing", shoot, and reading your comments on techniques used, and problems you faced in the project.

This thread has turned into a teaching tool, and has helped many photographers improve their "game". A few photographs, and a discussion of real estate photography issues related to a more modest setting may be of benefit to some, and would probably be an interesting discussion in itself, as were your previous posts in this area of photography.

Ken

Feb 11, 2015 at 05:36 PM
Zane Adams
• •
p.4064 #15 · p.4064 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim,
Your story is indeed touching. I am not one of those with a grand house and a pile of toys. I live my life within the walls that I have built for myself and family. I am grateful and feel blessed for what I have.

I will not hold a grudge or be overcome with envy when thinking of those that have more stuff than I. Do I wish it was me?...sometimes..but I am never angry that some have more.

Two things I take from this conversation, there are a lot of people that take for granted what they have and don't think much about those that have less, some have almost nothing. And there are a lot of people that outright hate those that have more.

Tolerance in both directions will make this a better world.

Feb 11, 2015 at 05:38 PM
Zane Adams
• •
p.4064 #16 · p.4064 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I've been absent from the airports of the world for a while...too much work...ugh.. lol

But I do get the opportunity to drive a back road now and then...and take time to stop and smell the sparrows...lol

Feb 11, 2015 at 05:40 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.4064 #17 · p.4064 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

msalvetti wrote:
Thanks Jo.

Jim, condolences from me as well. It is something I think about, now that I'm in my 50's. I like to run/walk late at night, and I always try to have an ID with me in case someone finds me unresponsive by the side of the road.

Mark

Mark,

If you have an iPhone running IOS8 the Health App allows you to create a medical ID. This can contain details of any illnesses, medication and allergies that you have on it. Then if something were to happen, a first responder can access the information straight from the lock screen of your phone.

Mark

Feb 11, 2015 at 06:20 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.4064 #18 · p.4064 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Zane Adams wrote:
Jim,
Your story is indeed touching. I am not one of those with a grand house and a pile of toys. I live my life within the walls that I have built for myself and family. I am grateful and feel blessed for what I have.

I will not hold a grudge or be overcome with envy when thinking of those that have more stuff than I. Do I wish it was me?...sometimes..but I am never angry that some have more.

Two things I take from this conversation, there are a lot of people that take for granted what they have
...Show more

Being a member of the lower "middle class", I appreciate people who have more stuff than I do. Several of those people created jobs for me. People like Harry F. Sinclair, Glenn L. Martin, William E. Boeing and Marvin Triplett to name a few. I like rich people, they also tend to be the most generous about giving to help those with less than they ever had.

Feb 11, 2015 at 06:35 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4064 #19 · p.4064 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

"Quite!" Being a card carrying member of the vanishing middle class, I share your sentiments wholeheartedly. In addition to actual real job creation, it's a clearly documented fact that conservatives as a whole, in all income strata, contribute substantially more of their assets to charitable causes when compared to other groups, who, on the surface make much more noise about caring for the needy. Seems a bit odd, does it not? But then it's just one thing out of many that seems a bit odd these days.

Feb 11, 2015 at 06:50 PM
Zane Adams
• •
p.4064 #20 · p.4064 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
"Quite!" Being a card carrying member of the vanishing middle class, I share your sentiments wholeheartedly. In addition to actual real job creation, it's a clearly documented fact that conservatives as a whole, in all income strata, contribute substantially more of their assets to charitable causes when compared to other groups, who, on the surface make much more noise about caring for the needy. Seems a bit odd, does it not? But then it's just one thing out of many that seems a bit odd these days.

I respond much better when I'm asked to give vs being threatened with force and imprisonment if I don't.....

Feb 11, 2015 at 08:35 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password