FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              4062      
       4064              4533       4534       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

nickjohnson
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4063 #1 · p.4063 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks Jim! I have to say that the new 5D models have plenty of expectation to live up to. The resolution is truly remarkable (my 8 year old 5D has 12MP gulp). If Canon manage to close at least some of the DR gap then overall the thing is going to be epic. At long last your 17mm TSE has a camera that your work requires.

Meanwhile that new 100-400 is looking like a very attractive proposition . Oh, and the 7DII may be about as good as I could wish for at least for action work.

Feb 09, 2015 at 10:48 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4063 #2 · p.4063 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I agree Nick. The 100-400 II will not disappoint, you have my word on it. I think the fact that I owned a series I for all those years makes the upgrade even more noticeable for me personally. I'm thinking the 11-24, with what they told me, would be very useful when we're flying up the Hudson River at dusk, an skimming the Grand Canyon and Monument valley. I already have the shots in my head, and that generally means that they will become reality. The lens is heavy, which one might expect, but the corner to corner resolution and color rendition is touted as not something seen heretofore. As it should be with a three grand price tag.

Feb 09, 2015 at 11:01 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4063 #3 · p.4063 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Gotta go set up a dusk shot west of Fort Worth, be back soon!

Feb 09, 2015 at 11:02 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.4063 #4 · p.4063 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

"Fotosidan met up with Mike Burnhill at CPS, Canon Europe to talk about the upcoming, high resolution Canon Eos 5Ds and 5Ds R."

"We also asked Mike Burnhill about the dynamic range of the 5Ds and 5Ds R. He basically said we should not expect any significant improvements compared to the 5D Mark III, though improvements in terms of noise had been made."

That last phrase, "improvements in terms of noise" has yet to be defined. Know something Mr. Wilson?

Web page with the video: http://www.fotosidan.se/cldoc/video-interview-canon-eos-5ds-and.htm

Edited on Feb 10, 2015 at 01:33 AM · View previous versions

Feb 09, 2015 at 11:06 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4063 #5 · p.4063 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Can't say Eddie Ray , but given the fact that the sensor already existed in a crop format, that might very well be the case. the additional resolution is pretty substantial so there may well be a perceived differnce in file character from that alone. There will be a clandestine meeting at HQ involving the 5DSR in the near future, so I'll know whetehr I love it or not, before mine hits town.

Feb 10, 2015 at 01:31 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4063 #6 · p.4063 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Waiting for my dinner to arrive at Saltgrass, feels wierd without Mr. Watson sitting across from me

Feb 10, 2015 at 01:34 AM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.4063 #7 · p.4063 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

A bit of low light fun at KPHX...

Feb 10, 2015 at 03:43 AM
Go4Long
• • • •
p.4063 #8 · p.4063 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

ah...one of the new scimitar winglet southwest birds.

Westjet has a few of them kicking around now too.

Feb 10, 2015 at 03:54 AM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.4063 #9 · p.4063 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Go4Long wrote:
ah...one of the new scimitar winglet southwest birds.

Westjet has a few of them kicking around now too.

They have become fairly commonplace at Sky Harbor. Definitely an interesting look.

Feb 10, 2015 at 04:30 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.4063 #10 · p.4063 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

msalvetti wrote:
I think I would rather deal with the snow and cold. At least you can still get outside, exercise, ski, etc. And our summers usually don't have long stretches of heat where you have to stay indoors. Temps over 95F just don't work for me. The heat keeps me indoors way more than the cold.

I'm beginning to rethink this post of mine from a few days ago. Just got done with another couple of hours of snow blowing and shoveling. Since Jan 24 we've had over 5 feet of snow - I've run the snow blower 11 hrs. More snow due on Thursday, then zero degrees for the weekend.

Jo, you had commented that we seem to have a nice neighborhood. It really is, good neighbors, quiet, private. Not too many places around here where you can have complete privacy in the back yard, but our house has that, at least in the summer when the leaves are on the trees.

We're at the top of a steep hill, and the road is only one lane wide. Nice in the summer, but not so great for heating oil deliveries in weather like this. We're on automatic delivery, but Friday I noticed we were running low, so I called the company. They said they would come out on Saturday, which would have been great. I was out all day, and when I got home I realized they didn't show. Uh oh. No way they were going to get up here today, probably not tomorrow. We have a small tank, 165 gallons, and we were at 1/8 of a tank. About 6 inches of fuel, suction out the top of the tank through a drop tube. Worried we were going to lose the prime on the burner, so in the storm today I went out and got 10 gallons of diesel and poured it in. Hopefully they can get the truck up the hill by Wed or Thurs, before it snows again. I don't particularly want to keep adding 10 gallons at a time for another week.

When I went out for fuel, I did see something I had never seen before - there is so much snow, I drove by a house where the kids were jumping out a second floor window into a snow bank.

I do enjoy shooting birds through the kitchen window on days like this:

Mark

Feb 10, 2015 at 05:31 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tim Adams
• • • •
p.4063 #11 · p.4063 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I think anybody from Canon who claims that the DR will be greatly improved with the new 5D's is blowing smoke up your you know what!! Until Canon builds new semiconductor facilities, or outsources the sensor to Sony like Nikon does, we will be stuck with vastly inferior DR.
It is nice to see that every II series Canon lens is blowing Nikon away though. Canon glass with a Nikon sensor, that is what we need.

Feb 10, 2015 at 07:15 AM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.4063 #12 · p.4063 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim,

Chuck Westfall has said DR should be similar to 5DIII. I would expect maybe 0.5 to 1 stop increase in DR if it follows the 7DII.

As for the 11-24, I'm hoping to pick one of these up ahead of my trip to Tokyo in June.

Feb 10, 2015 at 10:26 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4063 #13 · p.4063 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hi Mark,

I have to believe that is an accurate assessment.

Whoa Tim, I don't see a dime's worth of difference between my Nikon and Canon glass. Both are tack sharp with great color characteristics. Additionally, from what I've Read, nothing Canon has at the moment , within the same parameters, equals the new Nikon 300. My Nikon 70-200 VR is every bit as sharp as my Canon series II, both manufacturers have excellent glass.

Feb 10, 2015 at 11:49 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4063 #14 · p.4063 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Take it easy up there Mark,

I lost a friend in Chicago last week from snow shovel/heart attack syndrome. Based upon your record snowfall, Al Gore must be slated to speak in your area

Feb 10, 2015 at 11:54 AM
buffallo bill

p.4063 #15 · p.4063 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hi All,
Just seen another of Vincent Laforet's adventures in a helicopter, this time in Las Vegas, pretty impressive, makes me think of jewels sparkling in the night, must have been chilly!
https://www.storehouse.co/stories/r1qx6-air-sin-city-10-8k

Feb 10, 2015 at 01:19 PM
futurshox
• • • •
p.4063 #16 · p.4063 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Mark, I don't envy you the oil situation! Pretty Cardinal though. That's one shot we can never get, the bright red against the show.

Jim, I am sorry for the loss of your friend.

Feb 10, 2015 at 01:43 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4063 #17 · p.4063 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks Jo. I have some nice Cardinal images in a snowy environment, rare opportunities in Dallas, and even more so in your neck of the woods. Halle and I filled the bird feeders the other day and within a few minutes it was a sea of color out the family room windows.

Edited on Feb 11, 2015 at 04:26 PM · View previous versions

Feb 10, 2015 at 01:55 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4063 #18 · p.4063 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Wrapping up a dawn shot out by the JRB, then a daytime shot of the same elevation. Hoping to catch Gunny for lunch while I'm in his neighborhood. This particular trilogy closes with a dusk shot south of abort Worth this evening.

The weather here is just exceptional!

Feb 10, 2015 at 01:58 PM
XHawkeye
• •
p.4063 #19 · p.4063 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim did you happen to be a KADS yesterday at 17:00?

Someone was hovering, at ~30' in a M*A*S*H helicopter, while a jet was sitting on the end of the runway.

Feb 10, 2015 at 02:11 PM
Go4Long
• • • •
p.4063 #20 · p.4063 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

XHawkeye wrote:
Jim did you happen to be a KADS yesterday at 17:00?

Someone was hovering, at ~30' in a M*A*S*H helicopter, while a jet was sitting on the end of the runway.

Judging by my Facebook news feed that was Mr Scott Slocum.

Feb 10, 2015 at 03:14 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password