FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              4061      
       4063              4532       4533       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4062 #1 · p.4062 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Yup, we made the most of those years and happily left a carbon footprint the size of Texas above that little grass strip in Allen ................

Feb 08, 2015 at 02:50 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.4062 #2 · p.4062 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Glenn Watson wrote:
Now you're talking Jeff! the 61 Impala tops the list of cars i want and will probably never have. They're so awesome. Got a pic of yours?

Glenn

Hey Glenn - Sorry I missed your comment and question. I can't find a photo of my Impala at the house so I've asked Dad if he's got one somewhere. I had that car during my "rebellious" period. I was against everything my Dad was for. He had a GI haircut and I grew my hair long and wore a ponytail. He loved the esprit de corps from his time in the Air Force and I was all about individuality. He was a professional photographer and I wouldn't get caught dead with one of his cameras. That period lasted about six years and I regret most of it. The good part is I don't have many photographs to remind me of that period of my life. The bad part is I don't have many photographs to remind me of that period of my life. I hope that makes sense.

Gratefully, Dad was patient with me while I worked through the process of figuring out my life. I eventually came to the understanding that Dad was right all along. One of the reasons I have a Hasselblad 500CM now is because I refused to take one my Dad tried to give me on my 18th birthday. Not only is it about as good a film camera as anyone could hope to own, I wanted my Dad to know I recognized his love for me.

Hopefully, Dad sneaked a photo of my Impala and I'll share it here. Except for the glasspacks I installed, it was all stock.

Feb 08, 2015 at 02:54 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4062 #3 · p.4062 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks Glenn, for stirring up those memories, and helping to make more.............................

Feb 08, 2015 at 02:55 PM
Wrei
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4062 #4 · p.4062 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Couple of things about this guy:

1. He was doing a loop with the bottom level around 400-500 feet (or less) directly above my house and barn...are there limits for this?

2. Looks like I need to clean the D810 sensor. Jim, Steve, Glenn or others, do you clean yours the same as the Canon? I have been using the rocket blower, then if needed, Eclipse on pads. Is this OK with the Nikon?

Feb 08, 2015 at 07:37 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4062 #5 · p.4062 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Been having a discussion with my Canon guy. The new 5DS &SR at 1.6 crop is a megapixel larger capture than the 1DX. Kind of cool to be able to select 1.6, 1.3, or full frame, without sacrificing a comfortable file size. Especially handy at air shows and shooting wildlife. Not sure exactly when, but I might be able to give you all hands on impressions in the near future.

I'm certain that there is still a noticeable difference, but folks like Phase One and Pentax have to be a little worried. Their market slice isn't that big to begin with, then you get stuff like this entering the market. The price of medium format, while certainly high, doesn't scare me, it's the narrowing gap and certain looming obsolescence of the 80 grand investment that causes me to hesitate. A couple of the new 5D models are less than you would spend on the typical Phase One lens, pretty inexpensive admission price.

The more I read and the more I talk with Canon, I think I'll let my order stand. Gotta have grips though. Shoot, wish I hadn't sold my Canon 24 T/S now, that's a must have if I head down the 5D path. Wonder if there's a series II of the 24 in the works?

Actually, the 24 TS out now is a series II

Edited on Feb 08, 2015 at 08:03 PM · View previous versions

Feb 08, 2015 at 07:43 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4062 #6 · p.4062 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hi Ray,

You're out in what the FAA deems "sparsely populated", so the regs, under Section 14.410, require no intentional aerobatic flight within five hundred feet of a structure, vehicle, person or vessel. Regs are fine, but any pilot who is just out playing, unless he's Sean Tucker level, should leave a lot more than 500 feet between him and the sudden stop. Statistics prove that it's just a matter of time for your Starduster pilot, 500' is not bright.

Sensor cleaning, I have found that the Nikon sensor is more difficult to clean than that of a Canon. Don't know why, but the liquid, no matter how carefully and sparingly you apply it, leaves residue on the Nikon. This shouldn't cause you to not do it, but plan on spending more time, and using more swabs, to get to the squeaky clean sensor stage. My 810's generally take 15 to 20 minutes each and I'll use up at least three swabs. The 1DX bodies take one old swab, one new swab, and about 5 minutes.

Glenn's Nikon's take a coal shovel, half a gallon of sensor clean, about ten old swabs and about five new ones.................

Feb 08, 2015 at 07:56 PM
Razor17
• •
p.4062 #7 · p.4062 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Wrei wrote:
Couple of things about this guy:

1. He was doing a loop with the bottom level around 400-500 feet (or less) directly above my house and barn...are there limits for this?

2. Looks like I need to clean the D810 sensor. Jim, Steve, Glenn or others, do you clean yours the same as the Canon? I have been using the rocket blower, then if needed, Eclipse on pads. Is this OK with the Nikon?

http://www.rayswindlepix.com/img/s12/v170/p273732448-4.jpg

I have the same problem at my house and I usually outside with a chair waiting for them. I enjoy watching them...

About 5 mins later after I posted this, I walked the dogs outside and watched a Pitts up high doing some flipping and spinning and 2 RV's low doing some tail chase. I think most people forget that you can't do any aerobatics within 4 miles of a airway...

Feb 08, 2015 at 11:42 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.4062 #8 · p.4062 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I am 2 miles north of KTPL. Last week he was over my field, maybe lower than 400'. Today I looked up and he was headed straight down at me. I love watching these guys, but they usually fly over the fields, not my house and barn. There are at least 3 private farm fields and one FBO within 1 mile of my house, so they don't bother me, just never saw one looping over the house.

Feb 09, 2015 at 12:43 AM
JakeB17
• •
p.4062 #9 · p.4062 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Finally got around to visiting the planes of fame museum in Chino. I've been the airshow numerous times, but it took me a few years to finally make it to the museum, ha.

Feb 09, 2015 at 01:10 AM
Razor17
• •
p.4062 #10 · p.4062 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Wrei wrote:
I am 2 miles north of KTPL. Last week he was over my field, maybe lower than 400'. Today I looked up and he was headed straight down at me. I love watching these guys, but they usually fly over the fields, not my house and barn. There are at least 3 private farm fields and one FBO within 1 mile of my house, so they don't bother me, just never saw one looping over the house.

I agree, they are over my house all the time...

Feb 09, 2015 at 01:50 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.4062 #11 · p.4062 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Good flashback JW. All of that reminds me of when I first joined here and was just lurking and watching all the fun wishing I could do what you guys were doing!

I told him about our trip to Sherman this weekend - incase he wanted to come hang out.

Glenn

Feb 09, 2015 at 02:06 AM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.4062 #12 · p.4062 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hi Jeff:

Thanks for the personal reply - that makes perfrect sense. Its kinda funny I have the same experience involving my dad and my rebellious period from about age 17-24. Looking back I came to the same conclusion you did about him being right the whole time and I was pretty much a jerk, but sadly he died when I was 25 before I figured it out. We bought my 66 GTO as a father/son project my senior year of high school and about the only time we were on speaking terms was in the "neutral ground" of the garage working on it together. 23 years later I still have the GTO and hope to be able to keep it my whole life.

Glenn

Feb 09, 2015 at 02:25 AM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.4062 #13 · p.4062 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Wrei:

i buy Jim lunch and he cleans my sensor.

Glenn

Feb 09, 2015 at 02:26 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4062 #14 · p.4062 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

It's a heck of a deal!

Feb 09, 2015 at 04:07 AM
Wrei
• • • •
p.4062 #15 · p.4062 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Does this transaction occur at a well known burger drive-thru...

Feb 09, 2015 at 04:15 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.4062 #16 · p.4062 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff, this shot reminded me of this truck I saw in a window here

Jeff W. wrote:
Thanks kind sir. We are lucky to have some terrific car shows in the metro Phoenix area. The Fairlane and this Apache were both at the Scottsdale Pavilions car show held each Saturday afternoon/evening year round. It's located on the east side of Scottsdale at Indian Bend Road and the 101 FWY. You'll get a chance to see everything from a '32 Ford rat rod to a Bugatti Veyron - and a bunch of cool rides in between

© NightOwl Cat 2015

Feb 09, 2015 at 11:24 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.4062 #17 · p.4062 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks Jim and Jeff. Not much shooting of any kind going on here, working four days a week and in school four days a week, plus two days as a student worker, then homework gets done in there somewhere.... can't wait for spring break so I can at least look at the camera gear again

edit to add TOPP

This was shot back when the airshow was the third week in July and the ambient temp was approx 130°F. I'm hoping he got at least one decent shot with his iPad that day to make all that sweat worthwhile.

Feb 09, 2015 at 11:25 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4062 #18 · p.4062 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Wrei wrote:
Does this transaction occur at a well known burger drive-thru...

We decided that there was too big a chance that onion rings might end up on the sensor at In'N'Out...

Feb 09, 2015 at 04:32 PM
nickjohnson
• • •
p.4062 #19 · p.4062 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Been MIA for a bit – catching up was a blast – you've all been having way too much fun. Picking up on the current non theme – here is one of my “benches with a view” efforts.

Feb 09, 2015 at 09:03 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4062 #20 · p.4062 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Beautiful capture and post process Nick.

I spent an hour on the phone with Canon today discussing the 5DSR and their new 11-24, apparently a spectacular piece of glass. I was asked not to repeat specifics, but any doubts i had re: the 5D frame and the new SR have vanished. The 5DSR will likely become my choice for architecture and air to air if the camera supports the hype. The clincher will be if the Canon can equal or exceed the wonderful dynamic range of the D810, ifnot, I'd rather stay the course with 36.6 mp of pretty darn incredible. I'm guessing, based upon the improvements that Canon incorporated into the 5DS &SR, that they have thought this through pretty well.

Edited on Feb 09, 2015 at 10:51 PM · View previous versions

Feb 09, 2015 at 10:18 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password