Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              4050      
       4052              4241       4242       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevezzzz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4051 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Saw my first MōVI stabilizer in the flesh the other day. I was in Hawthorne, CA at Tesla Motors' design studios for an event and met a film crew with a Red mounted on a MōVI. They had the optional second operator package, too, where one operator 'wears' the MōVI and maneuvers the camera in space while the second person uses a joystick arrangement to operate the gimbal and point the camera.

Your can see the rig in action to the right of the Model S in this photo. This was the send-off party as a pair of specially painted Model S cars left LA in an attempt to set a Guinness world record for minimum charging time during a trans-continental drive. They have encountered some terrible weather en route, but are making good time and should make it to NYC sometime overnight. Since the camera crew is with them, I expect there will be some great video and stills from the trip.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/26844-Catch-Tesla-LA-NY-Trip-Team/page2?p=567614&viewfull=1#post567614

[edit for TOPP: I don't think I've posted this one before...]

Bücker Jungmann over Colorado

Feb 01, 2014 at 10:38 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4051 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

nickjohnson wrote:
Nice to see you come up for some air Jim.
FWIW I'm under the impression that the new P1 back is all about the characteristics of a CMOS sensor. So it's about Live View, focus peeking, and lower heat induced noise in long time exposures. I think the folks at P1 have sussed that all the CMOS stuff is nice but they need to convince you about the system as a whole. I say go for it – but then spending other folks hard earned is one of my lesser known talents.
Oh, do Kenyon have a model that will
...Show more

Hi Nick, thanks! Haven't held the Phase One yet, but I imagine the Kenyon 4x4 would probably be fine. When I take it up, I'm going to give it the acid test and just handhold it. I expect it to have about the same bulkiness quotient as my old Blads, with some additional weight due to the electronics. In air to air work, bulk is actually one's friend, that's why I put the battery grip on my D800's before they leave the store.

We'll see how this plays out. I'm thinking it will go one of two ways, I'll be so blown away that it will be a case of how fast I can put together a system, or, it won't wow me much at all and I'll walk away and not look back. They have prepared me for the fact that the autofocus isn't what I'm used to in my 1DX bodies, but then I have no intention of shooting fast moving subjects from a stationary post with that system, and most of my air to air work is manual focus anyway.

Feb 01, 2014 at 11:42 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4051 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Nice relaxing day at the hangar with Chandler and Miss Halle. Our replacement R/C parts came in so the T28 is ready to go again, and the Super Cub is all back together too. We have decided that we're going to fly the Super Cub until we can do it without thinking, then we'll move up the line. While at the hobby shop this morning I mentioned the fact that flying one to one scale is infinitely less expensive that R/C, the store owner took issue with my statement. I told him I have never flown a full scale aircraft that cost me $239.00 for 60 seconds of flight. He saw my point and suggested more practice might bring that number down, I countered with the fact that more practice just seems to run the bill up more. We walked out with another $100 worth of parts.

Feb 01, 2014 at 11:57 PM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.4051 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
[edit for TOPP: I don't think I've posted this one before...]

Doesn't matter if you've posted it before or not Steve, I certainly don't mind seeing it more than once. A terrific image. One of my favorite A2A shots

Feb 02, 2014 at 12:39 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.4051 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim, I don't recall seeing this mentioned here, but Blad has also recently announced a 50MP CMOS back, due out in March. I don't think they have released many details, although I believe the sensor is a Sony.

Mark

Feb 02, 2014 at 02:05 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4051 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hi Mark,

Yup, I'd heard about their newest offering. I'm afraid Blad is too late to the party. The fact that they moved away from Schneider and Zeiss glass was, in my opinion, a big mistake. Certainly a shame because I was proud for almost three decades, to pull their fine gear from my cases. They haven't even attempted to convince me that they are still, in fact, that company.

Feb 02, 2014 at 04:51 AM
nickjohnson
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4051 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Nice relaxing day at the hangar with Chandler and Miss Halle. Our replacement R/C parts came in so the T28 is ready to go again, and the Super Cub is all back together too. We have decided that we're going to fly the Super Cub until we can do it without thinking, then we'll move up the line. While at the hobby shop this morning I mentioned the fact that flying one to one scale is infinitely less expensive that R/C, the store owner took issue with my statement. I told him I have never flown a full scale aircraft
...Show more

…. well – I'm calling that one an honourable draw. Cool way for the grands to get their A&P – keeps pops out of mischief too.

Feb 02, 2014 at 11:03 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4051 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Good Morning Nick,

I'll tell you where the value comes in. When we left the hangar late yesterday afternoon, Chandler had all three planes sitting on pads on the hangar floor, each with their controller and batteries. If this hobby can teach a child organization, if nothing else, it's worth the time and effort.

I've begun in earnest to teach Chandler to fly my Cub and he is super focused on every aspect of the effort. I told him that there will come a day when I'll turn him loose in that airplane, and any other one that I feel he is qualified to fly, but before that happens I'll need to feel very confident in his discipline and responsibility. I think this might be an avenue that will teach him things that might be much more difficult without that carrot. He definitely has the gene

Feb 02, 2014 at 02:56 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4051 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I once again find myself bumping storage capacity limits. This morning I was searching options, like cloud storage and back up. Seems that the answer I come up with is the same one that comes up every time I look into this.........."Drobos are cheap!"

Here's what I found when I looked into cloud storage:

Feb 02, 2014 at 03:32 PM
nickjohnson
• • •
p.4051 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Good Morning Nick,

I'll tell you where the value comes in. When we left the hangar late yesterday afternoon, Chandler had all three planes sitting on pads on the hangar floor, each with their controller and batteries. If this hobby can teach a child organization, if nothing else, it's worth the time and effort.

I've begun in earnest to teach Chandler to fly my Cub and he is super focused on every aspect of the effort. I told him that there will come a day when I'll turn him loose in that airplane, and any other one that I feel he
...Show more

That is huge value. Maybe a lifetime of achievement – who knows? It's all about the spark, finding the key, pressing the button, whatever, I had sadly few inspirational teachers, and for the most part they all came along rather late in the day – but it feels like I can remember every word. I do regret that no one has the smarts to tell me that if I wanted to “do” electronics, I'd better listen up when geometry came along in the maths class. It took me until I was 38 to finish my degree – oh well!

Feb 02, 2014 at 04:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Wrei
• • • •
p.4051 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Nick, you make me feel good. I finished mine when I was 37.

Feb 02, 2014 at 04:25 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.4051 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hmm.. finished my first associates when I was 43, now back for a second associates in a different career field many years later since I got a calling for it, and I'm "too experienced" for the old one.

Wrei wrote:
Nick, you make me feel good. I finished mine when I was 37.

Feb 02, 2014 at 04:29 PM
nickjohnson
• • •
p.4051 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
I once again find myself bumping storage capacity limits. This morning I was searching options, like cloud storage and back up. Seems that the answer I come up with is the same one that comes up every time I look into this.........."Drobos are cheap!"

Here's what I found when I looked into cloud storage:

Well now – strange you should mention it, but all the stuff about P1 and 50 or 60 MB sensors had me thinking about storage. I just consolidated mine – I have my whole life in just 3TB! I can't think of anything beyond the Drobo (or similar) meeting your needs in a way you'd be comfortable with. I can think of “different” - but “better” is altogether another story.

The cloud thing has me a bit perplexed (easily done) – If you where to go down the cloud storage route, how would you be able to get enough network bandwidth to make working a practical proposition – especially at HQ. On the other hand, if you used the cloud for backup - and had a local data disaster – the reload would take for ever over a practical, affordable network connection. In any event I'm not convinced that the organisations who look after the cloud data storage care as much about our work as we do …. just say'in.

Oh, and my crystal ball is telling me about some time after the arrival of a P1 system, you having a visit to your local Apple Store – something along the lines of “what's the fastest thing you have?”......

Feb 02, 2014 at 04:49 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4051 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Exxxxaaaactly! The simplest, and most effective solution to my needs is to keep adding Drobos. 4TB drives have dropped in price, maybe in anticipation of the new helium filled 6TB units coming out soon. One can buy a 5D and load it with five 4tb Caviar "green" drives for about $1,300. Pretty reasonable when I look around at alternatives.

Feb 02, 2014 at 06:40 PM
Alpha_Geist
• •
p.4051 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hello everyone! I just found out about this thread and thought I'd share some air show photos I took last year. I've been to a few air shows in the past, but this was the first one I went with the intent to shoot!

Canon 5D Mk III w/ 70-200mm f/2.8L II
Canon 70D w/ 400mm f/5.6L

I found it a bit tough to get the full prop spin depending on where I was shooting from and at what angle the birds were approaching the flight line. Jets were easier in that regard. Despite shooting into the sun all day (can't control the weather and being at the mercy of where the show is going to be), I had fun and learned more than I thought I would for my first time shooting an air show.

California Capital Air Show - F-86 Sabre & P-51 Honor Flight by Alpha Geist, on Flickr

California Capital Air Show - P-51 Honor Flight Formation by Alpha Geist, on Flickr

California Capital Air Show - P-51 by Alpha Geist, on Flickr

California Capital Air Show - The Patriots in Formation by Alpha Geist, on Flickr

Feb 02, 2014 at 11:47 PM
gerov
• • • • •
p.4051 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Welcome to the thread, Alpha Geist - you won't find a nicer bunch of people most anywhere else, so strap yourself in and enjoy the ride. Of course, we'll hope to see more of your images. You're off to a fine start.

Gero

Feb 03, 2014 at 12:03 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4051 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Great job Gero! As usual!

Welcome Alpha, our Austin Texas contingent gives full disc tutorials

Feb 03, 2014 at 12:57 AM
Alpha_Geist
• •
p.4051 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thank you both! It looks like I have over 4000 pages of this thread to go through, haha! (I guess that's what lunch breaks are for. Just don't tell my boss!)

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Great job Gero! As usual!

Welcome Alpha, our Austin Texas contingent gives full disc tutorials

May I ask where I can find the full disc tutorials?

Feb 03, 2014 at 01:15 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4051 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Sure, it's in the 4,000 pages, um and that is the sequel, there's a pretty good sized MA2A 1.0 too BTW, where is 1.0?

Feb 03, 2014 at 01:25 AM
Alpha_Geist
• •
p.4051 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Sure, it's in the 4,000 pages, um and that is the sequel, there's a pretty good sized MA2A 1.0 too

Awesome! I'll keep am eye out for it as I'm slowly digesting this whole thread. 8)

Feb 03, 2014 at 01:27 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password