1       2       3              4045      
       4047              4530       4531       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff W.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4046 #1 · p.4046 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Yesterday early morning was a "Watson" kind of morning. I lifted off in the Cub in still cool air to see a low fog layer laying in the lakes to the south and east of KTKI, and crystal clear air to the north and west. Made for some fun exploring. Couldn't help but imagine what we could have captured air to air if we were having an HQ day with the group. The fog hung in there for several hours after dawn, it would have been perfect. Thought of both Glenn's actually.

Jim - I've been meaning to ask for a while about your dedication, loyalty, and apparent love for your Legend Cub? Not trying to challenge you, and I've never flown in one myself, but there are lots of different tail draggers out there and you've stuck with the Cub. There must be something about this particular airframe that you prefer/enjoy compared to Husky's, Maule's, 172's, etc. Just wondering.

BTW, the morning fog image should be on the Piper or Legend corporate masthead - GORGEOUS!

Whoops - Edit for TOPP

Flut-R-Bug

Jan 21, 2015 at 06:47 PM
Wrei
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4046 #2 · p.4046 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Recent Adobe announcement for LightRoom users biting at the bits for LightRoom 6:

Jan 21, 2015 at 09:20 PM
Baywing
• •
p.4046 #3 · p.4046 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

A couple from the 2014 Season Finale at Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome

Recently refurbished Albatros DVa (r)

Original Hisso-powered Jenny

Fokker Triplane (DR1)

The Evil Black Baron of Rhinebeck (aka Dave King) with his trusty DR1

Jan 21, 2015 at 10:48 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4046 #4 · p.4046 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hi Jeff,

Glad you like that image. Do you know the story of that particular morning? We've talked about so much over the years I can't remember if I have told the story in the past.

Ah, the Legend Cub. That's a really good question. The answer is, with 5,000 hours and about 2/3rds of that in conventional gear airframes, the Cub still holds the key to my heart. I've flown Huskies, Decathlons, Pitts Specials, my Skybolt, Mustangs, a Starduster/Acroduster, a Beech 18, a Maule, A Waco, a Super Cub, a Taylorcraft, a Luscombe, a Stearman, even a Rearwin Speedster, but the Legend is the sweetest little taildragger of them all in many respects. Don't get me wrong, as I tried to tell my good buddy Butch when he ordered his, Tony Levier once opined, "A cub is a great little airplane, it'll just barely kill you...".

I had a true vintage 1939 Cub for years that now sits in The Cavanaugh Museum. The '39 was the airplane that really taught me how to fly, and prepared me for much more spirited mounts like the Texan and the Mustang. The difference between flying my vintage Cub and my Legend is literally night and day. Part of it is due to a different airfoil, part due to 3.5 inches more fuselage width, part of it is that the Legend actually has brakes . When I flew a Husky a few years ago I was really excited thinking it would give me my Cub experience, but with lot of extra power and cruise speed. The Husky had all of that, and while it's a great plane to fly, it is much heavier than the Cub and lacks the virtual magic carpet feel that I get from my Legend. The Legend is simple, light, and the fact that everything is new gives you a lot of peace of mind. When I had my '39 I never knew if I'd get to fly all day, or work on it instead. The ownership experience was akin to that of owning a vintage British sports car, lovely, but laced with a great deal of work and uncertainty.

My relationship with Darin and the guys at Legend rounds out the experience. All I have to do is call over to Sulphur Springs and say I have a little something that needs attention, within an hour there are one or two little yellow Cubs arriving from the east with technicians and parts. I drop it off for an annual and they give me one of their latest and greatest to play with for the few days while mine is in being tweaked. They are family over at SLR, and I believe in the product, it's a winning combination.

So, do I love the challenge of the bipe, or the Six?, sure, but a racing heartbeat and a dry throat accompany those flights. Tony L's quote is never far from the front of my mind, but flying the Legend is about the most relaxing, true flying experience I have ever had. I don't think I have ever pushed it in the hangar without a twinge of regret that I wasn't still up with it.

Jan 21, 2015 at 11:25 PM
J Mosher
• •
p.4046 #5 · p.4046 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Just a shot in the dark; Would anybody here have an old airport diagram of Denver Stapleton or know where to find one? I am trying to create a poster for my father similar to this:

http://nomodesign.com/work/airport-runway-screenprints

I found an aerial view online but I am having a difficult time selecting just the airport out of the low res file.

He was an ATC in the tower in the late 70's and I thought it would look good in his man cave. Any help is appreciated.

Jeremy

Jan 22, 2015 at 02:03 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.4046 #6 · p.4046 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeremy, Google Earth has a pretty good image from 1993. You might see something here as well, including another 1993 image, although that one is an oblique:
http://www.airfields-freeman.com/CO/Airfields_CO_Denver_NE.htm#stapelton

Mark

Jan 22, 2015 at 02:17 AM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.4046 #7 · p.4046 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Hi Jeff,

Glad you like that image. Do you know the story of that particular morning? We've talked about so much over the years I can't remember if I have told the story in the past.

Ah, the Legend Cub. That's a really good question. The answer is, with 5,000 hours and about 2/3rds of that in conventional gear airframes, the Cub still holds the key to my heart. I've flown Huskies, Decathlons, Pitts Specials, my Skybolt, Mustangs, a Starduster/Acroduster, a Beech 18, a Maule, A Waco, a Super Cub, a Taylorcraft, a Luscombe, a Stearman, even a Rearwin Speedster, but the
...Show more

Thanks Jim for the explanation regarding your Legend and the joy you get flying it. I watched part of the documentary "One Six Right" this evening and it has some excellent flying scenes of a Cub skimming low and slow over the SoCal countryside. I think these scenes would probably illustrate what you are talking about. IMO, Terwilliger did it right.

BTW, while I don't remember you telling the story of the Super Cub image, you may well have. I for one would certainly like to hear it

Jan 22, 2015 at 03:22 AM
J Mosher
• •
p.4046 #8 · p.4046 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thank you Mark. I did see that site. Here is the image I found of the airport. It looks simple enough to select and copy but I cannot get a good crisp selection using the Magic Wand/Magnetic Selection tool. Its the grass areas inbetween that start giving me trouble. Any Idea how to get a good crisp selection that would transfer into a vector graphic?

Jeremy

Jan 22, 2015 at 03:28 AM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.4046 #9 · p.4046 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeremy - You may want to check the County website for that area of Colorado. Most counties have aerial images of the land within it's boundaries and most include historic aerials that go back many years. Here in the metro-Phoenix area, Maricopa County has all these aerials online and they generally are good quality imagery. Might be better than what you getting from Google Earth.

You may also want to "google" the web and see if there are any individuals/groups that have records/imagery of old airfields in your area. Again, we have that in Arizona - http://www.airfields-freeman.com. Its a great resource and shows links for other states. Who knows what you'll find

This link shows some old photos of Stapleton - http://www.airfields-freeman.com/CO/Airfields_CO_Denver_NE.htm

Jan 22, 2015 at 03:40 AM
Zane Adams
• •
p.4046 #10 · p.4046 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim,
Your Cub/Legend flying descriptions seem truly inspired. I have not flown many differnt types but the ones I have flown do have their own feel with positives and negatives. I always felt that the Cessna 150 was terribly fun to fly and I always felt like I had it by the tail vs the other way around. lol

Steve,
That is a beautiful Snowy shot! Amazing.

I found a Prairie Merlin on the Winscott Ranch a couple of weeks ago...he was just so proud of his lunch catch!

Jan 22, 2015 at 03:56 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Massimo Foti
• • •
p.4046 #11 · p.4046 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Patrouille Suisse by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

Patrouille Suisse by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

Jan 22, 2015 at 05:22 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4046 #12 · p.4046 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thank you Zane, come up some time and we'll fly the Cub. I got my PSEL in a 150 and it's kind of the same feeling, light and simple, but the Cub takes it down another notch. With several thousand hours of Cub time you kind of feel like it's a comfortable glove and unless something very untoward takes place you can pretty much put it down on a WalMart roof and walk away. Not many aircraft have that envelope. Th eSix is the opposite, love the rush, but realistically I know that there are all kinds of things that could go south during a flight and the odds of walking away unscathed are much, much, much slimmer. That's part of that particular aircraft's personality and it's part of the cathartic feeling you get when you're putting it away, kind of an " I looked it in the eye and lived to tell about it again" deal. With the Cub you taxi in and shut it down and sit there filled with the wonder of flight.

When someone asks me what my favorite airplane to fly is, my answer is always, "the one I'm in!" They're all different and require different things from you, and they leave you with a unique sense of accomplishment. I guess part of that is why flying never loses it's allure.

Jan 22, 2015 at 05:45 AM
nrferguson
• • • •
p.4046 #13 · p.4046 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
As you should!

It just goes to show how much higher are our standards than 99.94% of the rest of the population.

I went to a Royal Photographic Society "advisory day" on Sunday where they give advice about the images you intend submitting for LRPS (the lowest level - what I'm going for) and ARPS (FRPS is highest and is a different route) I was astonished at a couple of the ARPS contenders low quality, one of whom had 15 images (the number needed) of birds that were "flat", cut off, soft, blurred (accidentally). The advisers found it hard to make positive comments about any of his images and in the end just said "These are all below standard, you have a lot of work to do"
Amongst my 10 images for LRPS were two aircraft (you have to submit a range of work/techniques) which they really liked as below
Niall

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:50 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4046 #14 · p.4046 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Two great images Niall, they should have liked them very much. Good luck!!

Jan 22, 2015 at 01:49 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4046 #15 · p.4046 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Dear Jeff,

I had a week of shooting up in the Texas Panhandle, aerials and ground perspectives, so I blasted out of TKI in the dark headed northwest. About Wichita Falls I slipped over a thick undercast that went all the way to the ground. A quick call to FSS confirmed that an unforecast weather situation had taken place and the thick fog extended all to way to the Panhandle and a bit beyond. Having only one fan, and I really don't know if two would have made any difference in my decision, I like "outs", and as many of them as I can get. Still in the dark, but slipping through crystal clear air, I rolled the Skylane into a gentle 180 and headed back toward McKinney. Soon a faint glow on the eastern horizon indicated that this was going to be one beautiful sunrise to watch unfold. The fog layer had formed behind me, but a quick call to Bryan in the tower confirmed that it was patchy around TKI and I could get back in. About halfway home I got a text from Glenn asking if I was anywhere near the airport because there was patchy fog, it was beautiful, and he thought it was a perfect morning for one of our "Cub Missions". I let him know that I agreed and we were 15 minutes out. When I arrived Glenn was pulling the Super Cub out and he had opened my hangar door for me to help facilitate a quick change of mounts. The morning was perfect, clear at the airport but varying degrees of fog all around and not a breath of wind. We called Bryan in the tower and after a brief warm up launched in formation and headed to our route around the lake. We played above the fog and around the lakeshore for well over an hour, then decided that breakfast at LaMadeleine sounded like a great idea so we headed back home. If memory serves me right, we spent the rest of the day working on HQ.

I knew I loved every minute that Glenn and I were together, but never dreamed how precious these memories would become. There's a life lesson in there for sure, grab the moments, don't put them off until another time...... Psalm 39:5

Jan 22, 2015 at 02:23 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.4046 #16 · p.4046 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks for sharing that wonderful story Jim. The images are remarkable and your memories of that morning even more special. There are days that I think it would be great to see my future as God does. I could better prepare myself for the trials ahead. But that is not His plan is it. Instead I must have faith and trust in His plan; which I cannot fully know. "I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up."

Jan 22, 2015 at 05:06 PM
jerboyd
• • •
p.4046 #17 · p.4046 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim - Incredible story and beautiful imagery of a morning that we never be forgotten. Moments like that are etched forever on our hearts. When the time comes you will relive those stories with him again and smile.

Thank you for sharing something so close to your heart.

Jeremy

Jan 22, 2015 at 06:36 PM
Razor17
• •
p.4046 #18 · p.4046 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Really nice series Jim, I'm for #2 & 3. One has to love those Texas mornings...

Jan 22, 2015 at 08:52 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4046 #19 · p.4046 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Not at all Guys, thanks for caring enough to listen to that story. Quite a spot here .....

Jan 23, 2015 at 02:10 AM
J Mosher
• •
p.4046 #20 · p.4046 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff and Mark,

Thanks for the help. I went over some tutorials and I will try it again. I also decided to go to the source. Jeppeson is searching their data files to see what they can find.

Jeremy

Jan 23, 2015 at 02:22 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password