FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              4039      
       4041              4532       4533       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevezzzz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4040 #1 · p.4040 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Word comes of the passing of Jan Collmer, one of the true gentlemen in aviation: fair skies, Jan.

Jan 13, 2015 at 03:41 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.4040 #2 · p.4040 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

futurshox wrote:
Vincent LaForet has been flying reeeeeally high in a helicopter over New York, at night:
https://www.storehouse.co/stories/r3rcy-gotham-7-5k

Beautiful images! But the breathless prose about the terror of climbing to 7500' in a rickety, vibrating, drafty helicopter? Oh, puhleeez! Do you want the shot, or not?

Jan 13, 2015 at 03:49 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4040 #3 · p.4040 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Good Morning Ray,

Yes, this is the 4th car we've gotten from Park Place. Our guy there does a great job, no BS, this was just one of those things. The first car I bought there was a silver 300SC, a silver gift for Sheila on our 25th anniversary. My guess is Sheila would never have noticed the ding in this one, but I would have, at some point, noticed the difference in paint on that quarter panel. A non -issue because our guy immediately took it out of the new inventory and sent it to repair and ultimately to the loaner fleet.

Jan 13, 2015 at 03:54 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4040 #4 · p.4040 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Dear Steve,

Yes, Jan most certainly was. Prayers for his family.

Thanks for posting that.

Jan 13, 2015 at 03:57 PM
Wrei
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4040 #5 · p.4040 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Sad to hear that news Steve. Family and friends will be in our prayers.

Edited on Jan 13, 2015 at 06:24 PM · View previous versions

Jan 13, 2015 at 04:02 PM
Go4Long
• • • •
p.4040 #6 · p.4040 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
Word comes of the passing of Jan Collmer, one of the true gentlemen in aviation: fair skies, Jan.

Had the pleasure of seeing him fly many times including his last airshow, JRB Ft Worth. Blue skies Jan.

Jan 13, 2015 at 04:07 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.4040 #7 · p.4040 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim, I figured it was. Years ago when I was working and the president of our local quality professional organization in the Clear Lake area, I got the folks at Park Place to come down to give a presentation to our organization at our Christmas party. They had just won the Malcolm Baldrige national quality award. I asked them to present the points that were sighted as significant for their win. They talked about their customer relations. I won't go into detail, but they said it was important to "know your customer". So, I would bet they know Sheila's favorite color and shoe size!

Jan 13, 2015 at 04:09 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4040 #8 · p.4040 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

They do Ray, they are excellent. My people at both Toyota and Lexus are spectacular. All I have to do is say "I want this, and this, with this on it..." And they call me when it's ready to pick up. Just a couple of signatures and we're out the door. The difference between Toyota and Lexus is, I'm a client at Toyota, but I'm a "guest" at Lexus....... I've never been much for the snob appeal but my sales people know that and they just give me great service without all the gratuitous butt patting.

I plan on Toyota becoming a good customer in the near future, because they are moving in right down the taxiway from HQ. We'll get to know each other and see what develops. We're certainly driving the right vehicles. I've already met the CEO of Lexus and gotten a tour of his GV.

Jan 13, 2015 at 07:07 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4040 #9 · p.4040 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Never saw Jan without a smile on his face, he left a considerable business legacy, flew airshows to a ripe old age, viewed this disease with contempt and gave it little credibility, not letting it affect his sunny outlook in the least. I'd say Jan won, he'll be missed and fondly remembered by many, not a bad way to wrap up a successful life.

Jan 13, 2015 at 07:18 PM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.4040 #10 · p.4040 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

futurshox wrote:
Vincent LaForet has been flying reeeeeally high in a helicopter over New York, at night:
https://www.storehouse.co/stories/r3rcy-gotham-7-5k

That's amazing very beautiful both color and black and white.

Jan 13, 2015 at 07:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4040 #11 · p.4040 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Glenn, my new Samurai Blade arrived today. We'll see if Atomos got their act together on this one step down model. They are all over me to accept a replacement Shogun, but I told them that they need to spend a little more time back at the drawing board on that one.

Jan 13, 2015 at 07:27 PM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.4040 #12 · p.4040 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Ow that's sad rest in peace Mr Collmer

Jan 13, 2015 at 07:27 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.4040 #13 · p.4040 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jan 13, 2015 at 08:47 PM
futurshox
• • • •
p.4040 #14 · p.4040 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Very sad about Jan Collmer. I count myself lucky to have known him, however slightly. He was one of the Good Guys.

Completely unrelatedly, a lens hood has come into my possession. It looks well-used but seems intact and functional. It doesn't fit any of my gear. Does anyone want it?

Canon ET-65III Lens Hood for EF 85mm f/1.8, 100mm f/2.0, 135mm f/2.8 SF & 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Lenses
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/162046-REG/Canon_2655A001_ET_65_III_Lens_Hood.html

Jan 13, 2015 at 09:14 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4040 #15 · p.4040 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

That is characteristically thoughtful of you Jo. I don't own any of those focal lengths, but I'm sure someone in our group does.

Jan 13, 2015 at 09:47 PM
Zane Adams
• •
p.4040 #16 · p.4040 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Truly a gentleman and all around nice guy. Loved seeing him fly.

I last saw him at the 2014 Navy Fort Worth show.

Rest in Peace sir.

Jan 13, 2015 at 09:50 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4040 #17 · p.4040 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Nice Zane. He loved doing air shows and he did them to an age far past most performers. Jan always seem younger than his age by quite a margin, I think his light hearted demeanor gave you that impression.

The Docs gave him a couple of years when he was diagnosed mid summer and he thumbed his nose at that prognosis. When you think about it, why not, who wants to spend their last days mourning ones circumstances. Another example of a positive attitude. I love people who come into your life and teach you great stuff, Jan was one of those people.

Jan 13, 2015 at 09:58 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4040 #18 · p.4040 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

That great article on Vince LaForet's heli escapades brings back some memories. My pinnacle is 7.500', which was light to moderately terrifying. Several things come into play, it's totally unnatural to be stationary at 7,500' in the air, the sensation of height is indescribable. Even if you are tracking back and forth, 130 knots at those heights gives you the impression that you're not going anywhere very fast. I start to get that in the Cub from about 3,000 on up. We were bucking a 40 knot unfavorable wind so the helicopter kept "settling with power", which to a fixed wing pilot is a take off and departure stall to the left. A bit disconcerting when you're half in/half out looking through a camera. We did four of them and I had had all the fun I could stand. My legs shook for an hour back on the ground. Vince's experience added a few thousand feet, which probably didn't look a lot different, but doing it at night would have a considerable impact on the anxiety factor.

The stuff we do for money and kicks...........!

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:08 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4040 #19 · p.4040 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Just sold another Jacksonville Skyline Pano. They wanted a daytime perspective for this use. 32 verticals creating a .5TB file in APG.

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:37 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.4040 #20 · p.4040 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Sorry to hear of the news of Jan's passing.

On the 2 visits I made to Alliance, I was surprised that someone of Jan's age was putting on such a spirited display.

Blue skies.

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:56 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password