1       2       3              4028      
       4030              4531       4532       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

nrferguson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4029 #1 · p.4029 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Talked to a guy who tested the new 100-400 from Canon. His impression is that the lens equals the quality of primes, and the 70-200 series II. B&H has delivered a few, my guy in town says I should have mine in a week or so.

A few more details about the rumored big sensor Canon, same sensor as 7DII, only full frame, which brings it up to around 52 megapixel. Canon alluded to that being an advantage over Nikon, who they say is going to bump their 810 sequel to 46mp in 2015. Well that's good news all around, except
...Show more
New 100-400 is on my birthday (February) list.
Niall

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:25 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4029 #2 · p.4029 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Good Morning Niall! Happy New Year!! I think that is a lens that we're going to really like.

Dec 31, 2014 at 03:00 PM
Hans Li

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4029 #3 · p.4029 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Apple's possible take on it is that I am over taxing the power bus by trying to transfer large files to my NAS. Frustratingly, the NAS back up will run for 6/12/24 hours and then I'll return to my Mac to find that it has been restarted and the transfer has been interrupted. If a complete transfer hasn't taken place, only a file icon displays so you have no idea what is in there, and what isn't, leaving deleting that folder and beginning again as the only option. I woke up about every hour last night with a possible solution
...Show more

Jim,

I can't see overtaxing the power bus when the NAS is self powered. If you can overtax the powerbus by running the internal harddrive and a single USB/Thunderbolt connection, then there's a design flaw. What I can see happening is the extended IO is overheating the chipset, causing the board to error out thermally. Unfortunately, it then reboots and cools down and leaves no indication of what happened.

Give this a try: put a large fan so it blows across the back of the imac, also make sure it's not sitting under any heating and retry the operation. You may be able to find some sort of fan control software (smcFanControl) and run the fans at max speed while you're doing the backup and see if that gets you by. Basically, try to keep the unit as cool as possible and see if it makes any difference. You may be running into a design issue where the imac design just can't shed heat quickly enough without better active cooling.

Dec 31, 2014 at 03:08 PM
nrferguson
• • • •
p.4029 #4 · p.4029 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hans Li wrote:
Jim,

I can't see overtaxing the power bus when the NAS is self powered. If you can overtax the powerbus by running the internal harddrive and a single USB/Thunderbolt connection, then there's a design flaw. What I can see happening is the extended IO is overheating the chipset, causing the board to error out thermally. Unfortunately, it then reboots and cools down and leaves no indication of what happened.

Give this a try: put a large fan so it blows across the back of the imac, also make sure it's not sitting under any heating and retry the operation. You
...Show more

That's exactly what happened to my system in November - I would come down in the morning to find it had rebooted due to a CPU overheat - it is now in a bigger case with more fans and has performed faultlessly.
Niall

Dec 31, 2014 at 03:18 PM
ELinder
• • •
p.4029 #5 · p.4029 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim,

Did the AppleCare tech have you run the built-in hardware test? (restart and hold the D key until the Apple Diagnostics start) I had a problem with the fans on my iMac not running correctly and had them and the controller replaced. No more problems.

Happy New Year everyone!

Erich

Dec 31, 2014 at 04:38 PM
Gary Sommer
• •
p.4029 #6 · p.4029 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Talked to a guy who tested the new 100-400 from Canon. His impression is that the lens equals the quality of primes, and the 70-200 series II. B&H has delivered a few, my guy in town says I should have mine in a week or so.

A few more details about the rumored big sensor Canon, same sensor as 7DII, only full frame, which brings it up to around 52 megapixel. Canon alluded to that being an advantage over Nikon, who they say is going to bump their 810 sequel to 46mp in 2015. Well that's good news all around, except
...Show more

Jim, I'm just wondering why the Pentax 645Z is not in the running? It seems pretty close to the Phase One for a lot less $.

Gary

Dec 31, 2014 at 04:45 PM
jerboyd
• • •
p.4029 #7 · p.4029 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim

I might take you up on the 1DX weekend. I would love to shoot side by side with the different bodies and see the difference.

On another note:

Has anyone used the onOne Perfect Photo Suite 9? How does that compare to the NIK photo suite? Looks like there is a deal going on for a deep discount today and I might be interested.

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

Dec 31, 2014 at 06:32 PM
jerboyd
• • •
p.4029 #8 · p.4029 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Here is the link:

http://www.ononesoftware.com/products/suite9/?utm_campaign=Ste9_EOY&utm_source=AllDemo&utm_medium=email

Thanks

Jeremy

Dec 31, 2014 at 06:33 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.4029 #9 · p.4029 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I was looking into NIK, a Google product. For some reason, I couldn't find a price. They wanted me to give them all my billing (VISA) information before they would tell me the price. Reminded me of going to an auction; get pre-approved before bidding.

Dec 31, 2014 at 07:05 PM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.4029 #10 · p.4029 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I think its $149 Wrei.

Glenn

Dec 31, 2014 at 08:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

MMcGrath
• • • •
p.4029 #11 · p.4029 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Big up to B&H photo. Spoke with them via email last Friday to find out if they could ship to a UPS store for collection. They promptly came back to advise this was possible. Order placed late Saturday for a new ballhead and a replacement lens cap for the 24-70 as I lost one at Disney. The order was shipped Monday and collected today.

Dec 31, 2014 at 09:37 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.4029 #12 · p.4029 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

To all who frequent the thread, I wish you all a Happy & Prosperous 2015.

Dec 31, 2014 at 09:50 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4029 #13 · p.4029 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hi Gary,

I was just reading Philip Bloom's glowing review on the Z this morning. Here are a couple of reasons that it isn't a consideration for me personally. Another 15 grand (granted that's a drop in the bucket compare to the Phase One system I have considered), an additional system to haul around, no real architectural application due to lensing options. And, the real big clincher for me, even though Philip loved it, all the images he posted were very nice, the Phase One images, those posted and those I have taken myself, are virtually three dimensional, a quality I just don't see in the Pentax Z images. I even downloaded two of Philip's RAW files at 5 this morning and processed them, but they didn't have that intangible something that makes me want to go insane and invest in P1.

I haven't ever held the Z system in my hands, but it appears a bit clunky, and reviewers hint at that, but keep going back to the amazing value as compared to Blad and P1. Glad dropped out of the running for me some time ago, but every time I get an email from P1 it tempts me to make time for a week or two with as demo system. If I ever do actually do that demo, I'm all but certain that would clinch it and I couldn't live without it. Maybe, subconsciously, that is why I have put it off. That , and the fact that a free demo would cost me a grand for it all to be added to my insurance schedule.

So there you have my perspective on the Z as far as it being an option for my work flow.

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:13 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4029 #14 · p.4029 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Same to you Mark! Yes, the folks at B&H are consummate Pros. Sheila has commented on the fact that numerous boxes from them have been arriving on a semi-weekly basis for over a month now, with three more coming on Saturday. I've had a great year, an exceptionally great year, and all of my suppliers have as well......guess Reagan wasn't too far off with his "trickle down" theory.

Edited on Dec 31, 2014 at 10:26 PM · View previous versions

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:17 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4029 #15 · p.4029 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Well my ongoing experiment with migrating files seems to have revealed one thing, I have to move one client folder at a time to my NAS. Doesn't matter if that folder is 2TB, it will deal with it, but you can't ask it to move multiples because it will hiccup somewhere down the line and you have to delete the partial folders and begin again with one at a time.

I have a wonderful senior Apple tech in California who is following all of this with great interest. Apple Care is a deal, extended warranty, people who know what they are doing, and who speak my native tongue. You know you're in good hands when they never ask how the weather is in Texas .....as compared to Mumbai

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:25 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4029 #16 · p.4029 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Oh, and this will interest Glenn especially, I connected the Sony X-70 to my 65 inch flat panel today. That was the first time that I have seen the footage on anything bigger than the flip out screen on the Sony. Wow! I shot everything from weaving through the layers on my flight to JAX, to dark night scenes of the city skyline interspersed with brightly lit fountains dancing in the foreground, to the kids on Christmas morning in dim incandescent light. The X-70 handled it all remarkably well. Can't imagine what the 4K upgrade will allow it to do, or even what the footage will look like in ProRes 4:2:2 through the Shogun. This little Sony is the D810 of video. I'm sure it has it's limitations because an unbendable rule of life is that you can't drive an Aston for the price of a Taurus, but it's a pretty remarkable little camera.

Glenn and I are going to do a shoot featuring a new Citation Mustang in the near future and our plan is to throw everything we have at it.......................um, wait.................that hasn't worked out well in the past so let me rephrase, we'll shoot still and video.

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:40 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.4029 #17 · p.4029 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Same to you Mark! Yes, the folks at B&H are consummate Pros. Sheila has commented on the fact that numerous boxes from them have been arriving on a semi-weekly basis for over a month now, with three more coming on Saturday. I've had a great year, an exceptionally great year, and all of my suppliers have as well......guess Reagan wasn't too far off with his "trickle down" theory.

Jim,

You really need to visit their store in NY. It is an amazing place, like a candy store for big kids.

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:41 PM
Gary Sommer
• •
p.4029 #18 · p.4029 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks, Jim, I use a Pentax 67 and occasionally check out the Pentax Forum. The Z seem like a big deal over there.

Gary

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:49 PM
futurshox
• • • •
p.4029 #19 · p.4029 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
.................um, wait................

*ksnort*

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:12 PM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.4029 #20 · p.4029 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Happy New Year from Europe all the best for 2015 may all your wishes come true.

Jan-Arie

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:23 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password