Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              4018      
       4020              4132       4133       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Donald Gray
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4019 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

@ Jeff: <blush> </blush>

@ YipDog: I wouldn't mind a few of those juicy looking LiPos

@ all: As the New Year rapidly drags itself upon us, I would like to thank you all for the entertaining times that I have enjoyed by seeing your photographs and works of art.

Above all, I have appreciated your friendship over the year. I have made many fine friends here, some I have had the very real pleasure of meeting in the flesh, others in cyberspace. Which ever way, it is a valued experience. Thanks.

Diana & I extend our good wishes for 2014 to each and every one of you and your families.

Donald

Dec 30, 2013 at 01:35 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.4019 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jan-Arie wrote:
So far it looks like Isap 2014 is a Go.
Are there any more who are planning to go?

Likely to be a No Go for me.

Having been to Japan & Vegas since October, I can't justify the costs for ISAP.
Struggling to justify the costs of renewing my expiring membership also.

Dec 30, 2013 at 01:42 PM
Chris Luvara
• •
p.4019 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Glenn Watson wrote:
I think the general R/C hobby is kinda lame nowadays with all the cheap dispoable ARF park flyers nobody has any pride in their airplanes. Every field you go its the same T28 held together with clear packing tape.

I agree. Although it's not a bad thing to get more people flying and into the hobby, no one really has any skin in the game and they don't stick around as long.

I started out building with my Dad and it really taught me quite a bit as far are responsibility, especially if I'd have to go fix it. You were much more careful.

Way back when you had to put some work in the model. (Notice my Dad made me learn on a taildragger!)

Dabbled in Jets for a while...

But my 18 year old 1/5 scale Corsair is my favorite...

Chris

Dec 30, 2013 at 03:57 PM
Bill Gass
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4019 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Nice Chris, love the F16.
I had some of the electric and gas powered cox machines, you know the one's with the strings that made ya go around in circles and make ya sick, . Never tried the balsa wood ones, lotta work in there for sure, I'd be scared to fly one after all that work.
Check this out- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsrzBwylodU&list=TLqjTG5AvS6plIjnDMaG_9SX5CQ7Mav1M3

Dec 30, 2013 at 04:12 PM
yipDog
• •
p.4019 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Chris…looks like a Byron Corsair? Had one of those! Spun it into the ground after someone said the real Corsair was placarded for spins…i.e. DONT! I had to test the theory on mine and got it into a gorgeous flat spin…went to recover and it reversed! And then it was done!

I agree that some of the joy has left RC since the "ready to fly and almost ready to fly" craze took off. Nothin like the adrenaline rush of a maiden flight on a plane that a ton of effort went in to.

Gotta dig up pics of the one plane I couldn't bring with me to AZ…just too big. A 100" scratch-built biplane, the QDB, designed by one of our club members in NY. A cross between a Waco and Stearman. It took well over a year to build. We group built 10 of them at the designers shop...cut all the wood, cut foam core wings, welded all the cabanes and landing gear and hand-laid all the fiberglass parts. Had to master a lot of different skills to build that way. I towed a 20' banner with that plane to propose to my wife who was also into RC.

Dec 30, 2013 at 04:20 PM
Chris Luvara
• •
p.4019 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

yipDog wrote:
Chris…looks like a Byron Corsair? Had one of those! Spun it into the ground after someone said the real Corsair was placarded for spins…i.e. DONT! I had to test the theory on mine and got it into a gorgeous flat spin…went to recover and it reversed! And then it was done!

Ha! Yup it's a Byron. 4.2 w/o lame "rubber" prop. Great flying airplane. It's been around so long now it looks like it has been through the war..

Chris

Dec 30, 2013 at 04:48 PM
yipDog
• •
p.4019 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Nice! Found a few of my pics…

Here's the QDB (quick and dirty biplane) G62 powered

And here's my favorite plane of all time…the CAP 232 (Brison 3.2 engine) (my friend's Extra 300 was pretty sweet too!) Sold the CAP to a friend who forgot to charge the batteries and buried it a week later! I was rather heartbroken!

Dec 30, 2013 at 05:53 PM
Donald Gray
• • • •
p.4019 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Cutting away from models (only for a moment) I believe this short video will be well received in this place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7EP9Ko6IsY

Best GoPro aviation sequence I have ever had the pleasure of watching - bar none!

Dec 30, 2013 at 06:11 PM
KZinnack
• •
p.4019 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

In the past 10 years I've purchased and built 2 sailplanes, an electric park flyer (a Cub of course), a gas powered Duraplane (flying drain pipe), and a gas powered air boat. I have 2 brand new, never used, 10 year-old radios. That was my entry into R/C...I just couldn't bring myself to fly them....knowing full well I would turn each of them into a smoking crater of balsa and Monokote.

Then 6 months ago, during a brief episode of midlife crisis, I spotted a small R/C copter at the hobby shop...1 gift cert. and $30 later I was terrorizing my co-workers with my ham-fisted efforts as a chopper pilot. Somehow I haven't used any of the spare parts I purchased and 3 of my co-workers now have their own R/C helicopters. I have built up enough self confidence that I am now ready to give the R/C planes a go.

Thankfully I own a backhoe so digging that REALLY big hole will be quick and easy.

Edited on Dec 30, 2013 at 07:14 PM · View previous versions

Dec 30, 2013 at 07:10 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.4019 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

You haven't been keeping up, Donald! I posted that link a week or two ago, along with this one:

http://youtu.be/7mxmFCw-Dig

Dec 30, 2013 at 07:11 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

yipDog
• •
p.4019 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Wrote this to Jim earlier but I'll summarize here. Please don't go it alone. Find and join your local club and the AMA. And get a simulator (Great Planes Real Flight is my fav) It'll keep you in the hobby a LOT longer and with a lot more satisfaction.

KZinnack wrote:
In the past 10 years I've purchased and built 2 sailplanes, an electric park flyer (a Cub of course), a gas powered Duraplane (flying drain pipe), and a gas powered air boat. I have 2 brand new, never used, 10 year-old radios. That was my entry into R/C...I just couldn't bring myself to fly them....knowing full well I would turn each of them into a smoking crater of balsa and Monokote.

Then 6 months ago, during a brief episode of midlife crisis, I spotted a small R/C copter at the hobby shop...1 gift cert. and $30 later I was terrorizing my
...Show more

Dec 30, 2013 at 07:47 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
p.4019 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

"Wrote this to Jim earlier but I'll summarize here. Please don't go it alone. Find and join your local club and the AMA. And get a simulator (Great Planes Real Flight is my fav) It'll keep you in the hobby a LOT longer and with a lot more satisfaction."

Amen to this - it's the best way, hands down.

Dec 30, 2013 at 07:52 PM
RobMoser
• • •
p.4019 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jan-Arie wrote:
So far it looks like Isap 2014 is a Go.
Are there any more who are planning to go?

Unlikely I'd say.

Rob

Dec 30, 2013 at 08:30 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.4019 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

What are the ISAP dates again? I think I have a conflict...

Dec 30, 2013 at 09:01 PM
RobMoser
• • •
p.4019 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

April 3/5 2014

Rob

Dec 30, 2013 at 09:25 PM
KZinnack
• •
p.4019 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

yipDog wrote:
Wrote this to Jim earlier but I'll summarize here. Please don't go it alone. Find and join your local club and the AMA. And get a simulator (Great Planes Real Flight is my fav) It'll keep you in the hobby a LOT longer and with a lot more satisfaction.

I saw that post and agreed with it completely. There was a club nearby but they lost their field, moved twice, and now I don't know if they still exists. I have 2 friends that are very accomplished R/C pilots and they have offered me considerable advice over the years.."including join a club." Had I joined a club 10 years ago I'd probably have a lot more than 4 planes. I am amazed at the impact that brushless motors and LiPO batteries have had on the hobby.

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:27 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4019 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Dear Rob,

We have taken your advice to heart. Heading to the local R/C club strip tomorrow to check it out. Today was perfect, winds light and variable. Chandler had a friend over to play so he couldn't fly. The first text I got from him was around 11, "Papa, please don't fly our plane without me. I'll come over tomorrow." Weston was at our house so I thought I'd yank Chandler's chain a little, I had him text Chandler that he was about to do his first R/C departure Chandler immediately responded with, "Great! I'm about to see how high your new quadcopter can go before it loses the signal!"

Dec 31, 2013 at 02:25 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4019 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I got busy today and undecorated our digs, no small task. Feels good though, I'm going to hit 2014 running, refreshed and with a load of work on the calendar. Just got a new Airbus assignment for mid February and my 74-800i is arriving in a few days.

Dec 31, 2013 at 02:30 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4019 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

FYI, somehow I goofed and only ordered one RRS plate for my two 1DX bodies, so I had them send me another. While I was at it, I decided to get their tripod bag to protect that pricey ball head, it came today and it's typical RRS, very nice. My Gitzo and the 55 head dropped in the bag perfectly. I don't mind spending a few extra bucks with people who make excellence the standard. I'm thinking about the new fluid head they are releasing in the near future, looks wonderful!

Once again, thanks to Zim for lighting the spark there.

Dec 31, 2013 at 02:36 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4019 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

We'll miss you guys at ISAP 2014. The full press release should be out in a few days, it's going to be a good symposium. Larry Grace is one tirelessly dedicated guy, I can tell you that. I'm not going to let the details slip in advance, but there will be some primo shooting opportunities at 2014, and a great presenter line up.

Dec 31, 2013 at 02:40 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password