Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              4017      
       4019              4137       4138       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Wrei
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4018 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hope our friends in Southern England are doing OK amid the high water, cold temps and electrical outages.

Edit for TOPP:

A selfie:

Dec 29, 2013 at 02:20 PM
futurshox
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4018 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

All this talk of RC stuff... Thanks to my husband, I have joined the ranks of flying camera operators! Now, this thing is super easy to fly. You can just park it in the sky :-) It's awesome!

Dec 29, 2013 at 03:46 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4018 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks for all the tips Guys!

Glenn, yes, I'd like to have a video of that whole chain of events. I figured one of two things were going to take place. If it was easier to fly than our Cub, then I could fly it just fine and let Chandler fly it the second time. If, as I suspected, it wasn't, then I'd be the one to crunch it so Chandler didn't have the guilt. Obviously scenario number 2 was the case.

Chandler is absolutely fascinated by RC, but he has developed (justifiably so) an apprehension that I don't want him to have. We waited until late yesterday afternoon for the wind to die off so we could fly the RC Cub. He kept saying he just wanted to "taxi". We walked out behind the hangar to "the taxiway to nowhere" and I told him that he needed to fly it. He did, and flew well, but after a couple of ovals he pulled the power and was going to land. I told him to power up and fly it for a while. Everything was going well so I figured why not run the battery out. Chandler's perspective was, everything had gone well up to that point, so why not land and go home without another RC tragedy. He flew it a few more ovals and set it down in the field.

I hadn't thought of CG, just kind of figured the batteries sit where they sit and the manufacturer figured all that out. We didn't hurt the T28 engine or prop, the fuselage took a good hit, so we ordered a replacement. The wings are fine, and so is the empennage. Even the break away cockpit was fine, except our pilot came unglued, but we fixed that. I think one of my problems with the 28 was flying it too fast, it's a lot quicker than the Cub. I should have reduced power to whatever was needed to keep it in the air, and adapted to it at that speed.

I can't imagine spending months/years, building an RC plane and flying it. A friend of mine is prez of a big bank in Dallas. He got mesmerized by RC flight a few years ago. One Saturday he called me in a panic and asked if I could fly recon in my Cub over a wooded area where he just lost his RC plane. His plane was an L39 ducted fan with a 10' wingspan. He couldn't get to where he thought it went in. I launched and looked for an hour, to no avail. A month later he called me to tell me that he had purchased an identical L39, launched it on the maiden flight, but was so nervous he flew it right into the ground. He subsequently has taken up skeet

We'd be happy if we could get good enough to fly the big Carbon Cub sans disaster. Right now, at $259.00 a minute, there are a lot of 1:1's we could be flying without the trauma. Somehow I think we'll work through this.

Insurance is another thought, although at this point we are flying on acres of ground with no one but the two of us, with slow airframes. I can see having it as this progresses.

Congrats Lady Jo on your new acquisition!

Dec 29, 2013 at 06:15 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4018 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

yipDog wrote:
Well...all this talk of RC I suppose I should chime in.
Been flying RC for close to 30 years and have been an instructor for almost as long.
Please, please, please join the AMA and a local club. AMA for insurance and legal reasons and a club to get a second set of eyes on what you're doing and instruction.
And get a simulator. I've been using Great Planes Real Flight for many years to keep my fingers nimble, push the envelope safely and to teach friends who were interested. There are several other really good ones out there but none
...Show more

Thanks Yip, we have Phoenix, but it seems marginal. Problem is we only have an old pc laptop to run it on, and none of them run on Mac platforms. Maybe Phoenix is accurate, because I came home and crashed the T28 about 30 times.........

We'll take your advice and join a local club, thanks. There's a paved strip RC field right on the lake just east of the field. Y'all who have come out to play may have seen it as we flew the lake shore. We're going to go over there and introduce ourselves. Are RC people warm and welcoming? Or are they like the photographers that don't hang at MA2A.........well, .......a ...........you know what I mean.

P.S. Full disc................

Edited on Dec 29, 2013 at 06:31 PM · View previous versions

Dec 29, 2013 at 06:27 PM
Donald Gray
• • • •
p.4018 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Welcome, Lady Jo, to the wicked world of UAV Pilots - great to see it works well with those bent propellers

Dec 29, 2013 at 06:29 PM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.4018 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Donald Gray wrote:
Welcome, Lady Jo, to the wicked world of UAV Pilots - great to see it works well with thse bent propellers

Leftenant Gray has consented to shepherd me through a quad-copter build during the first quarter of 2014. To say Donald knows his stuff would be a gross understatement. He is more than helpful; especially considering his apprentice is from the "colonies"

An interesting article on the world's most expensive photographs.

http://www.slrlounge.com/2-most-expensive-photographs-in-the-world

As one would expect and is the case with most artists, the big money does not come until the photographer/artist is dead. It is my understanding that AA never sold a single print for more than a few hundred dollars during his lifetime.

A 777 surfing the afternoon marine layer and haze at LAX…...

Dec 29, 2013 at 08:28 PM
Bill Gass
• • • •
p.4018 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

All this RC talk figured I'd post some of mine.
The little green guy in the middle was a present from Mrs. Clause
Has a 720p camera under it, not too bad a video, will take pictures also.

Dec 29, 2013 at 09:13 PM
yipDog
• •
p.4018 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Like all groups there will be cool, helpful people and the jerks. In NY, enough of us got fed up with the BS at the big local club and started out own. Just to annoy the other group out shirts were hot pink! Ha ha!!
Gotta get Jay to upload the pics he took of my two main planes. The one where the wheel popped off on landing and is about 6" from where it belongs is classic!

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Thanks Yip, we have Phoenix, but it seems marginal. Problem is we only have an old pc laptop to run it on, and none of them run on Mac platforms. Maybe Phoenix is accurate, because I came home and crashed the T28 about 30 times.........

We'll take your advice and join a local club, thanks. There's a paved strip RC field right on the lake just east of the field. Y'all who have come out to play may have seen it as we flew the lake shore. We're going to go over there and introduce ourselves. Are RC people warm and
...Show more

Dec 29, 2013 at 09:47 PM
yipDog
• •
p.4018 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Here's part of my fleet
Pilot YAK-54 76" & SebArt Pitts Python 53"
Both use Hacker motors and spin big props…20x10 on the YAK and 18x8 on the Pitts

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Colin Giersberg
• • •
p.4018 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

On the subject of RC, how about a C17.

www.metacafe.com/watch/1593449/c_17_globemaster_1_9_scale/

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

yipDog
• •
p.4018 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

If I was to "go big" the simplicity of a WWI fighter appeals to me…

http://www.billhempel.com/triplane/index.php

Plus they're in Tucson which is not that far away!

Dec 30, 2013 at 02:05 AM
Bill Gass
• • • •
p.4018 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

This ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ9dSrrBN28
Is big !

Dec 30, 2013 at 02:18 AM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.4018 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

resistance is futile Jay! Go to Hobbytown and buy yourself a $300 styrofoam cooler and fly it straight into the ground like the rest of us!

Dec 30, 2013 at 02:31 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.4018 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Glenn Watson wrote:
resistance is futile Jay! Go to Hobbytown and buy yourself a $300 styrofoam cooler and fly it straight into the ground like the rest of us!

Bahahahaha....

Dec 30, 2013 at 03:01 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4018 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Nice "hangar" Yip! I had no idea I was in the presence of R/C Greatness!!

Dec 30, 2013 at 04:06 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4018 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Well Jay, looks like we have invented new ways to spend money here at MA2A!

As usual Glenn, you crack me up!

Ordered Great Planes Sim 7 through Amazon this afternoon, Jan. 2nd delivery so we can play with it a few days before Chandler has to go back to school in a week. Oh yeah, and I have to go back to shooting to support yet another dollar draining interest.

Worse yet, while looking for a good deal on the GP Sim program, I happened across a foam B25 ARF from someone. Don't worry though, they video says that it's very stable and easy to fly.......................

Gotta go dig a really big hole out behind the hangar.

Dec 30, 2013 at 04:12 AM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.4018 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Check out nitroplanes.com 25 - (odd name for electric shop) but anyways. comes with retracts, bombay doors, etc...you can put the 8 channel radio i'm sure you're buying to good use!

http://www.nitroplanes.com/36a25-1600-b25-silver-arf.html

I bought their large scale Corsair and proceeded to crash it about as fast as you took care of the trojan. At least I didnt have time to put the gear down before it went in so the retracts werent damaged.

I think the general R/C hobby is kinda lame nowadays with all the cheap dispoable ARF park flyers nobody has any pride in their airplanes. Every field you go its the same T28 held together with clear packing tape.

When I was a kid my dad and I flew glow balsa planes and there was no ARF. we had to build the whole airplane from a pile of balsa pieces - assemble the wings with a jig, cover in monokote, completely rig the thing - took a year or more to finish one sometimes.

Do I have a year to build an r/c plane i'm going to crash in a 30 seconds after takoff? no. I guess its like the rest of our lives - right here, right now, better, faster, cheaper, trash it and move on. Dont get me wrong, they're a hella expensive lot of fun but the soul seems lost now a days.

I'll also ad my endorsement to the sim - its what finally got me flying again after 20 year break. its espcially helpful practicing the phase where the controls reverse as the plane turns towards you.

Thanks for the vote of confidence on my skills but my personal rule is never fly another mans R/C airplane - I dont want to turn into some story on FM.com.

Glenn

Dec 30, 2013 at 06:41 AM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.4018 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Some awesome looking machines there Rob - i even see an E-flite Apprentice back there. Thats what I started with. It held up pretty well to a lot of abuse. I think what finally killed it was the $350 double pane storm window it went through at the neighborhood middle school.

Glenn

Dec 30, 2013 at 06:47 AM
yipDog
• •
p.4018 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks Glen! I have the Nitroplanes B-25. Repainted it to look like our local CAF Maid in the Shade. Not a beginner plane flight-wise. But incredible for the money! You can see the light blue #18 tail behind the Pitts. The Apprentice is my son's. He's 8 and has been flying it for a year. Desperately wants to fly my YAK but needs a little more practice before I hand over the controls!

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.4018 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

So far it looks like Isap 2014 is a Go.
Are there any more who are planning to go?

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:51 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password