Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              4016      
       4018              4836       4837       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jan-Arie
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4017 #1 · p.4017 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

There is not such thing as to much Lens nice detail and close-up..

Dec 28, 2013 at 11:11 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.4017 #2 · p.4017 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Love the traffic shot. Looks like a big mama bird with her chicks.

Mark

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:39 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4017 #3 · p.4017 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Chandler and our battle worn Super Cub.........Duct Tape and Super Glue seem to be the tools of the RC trade.......

Dec 29, 2013 at 01:03 AM
dtw757
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4017 #4 · p.4017 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim,

UMX Carbon Cub SS BNF by eFlite......great way for any one to learn to fly ailerons on a R/C plane. Even has a "leveler" to make the plane more stable. Will fly 7-10 minutes on a charge and has a complete set of lights for low vis flying. If you can remember to say " stick to the low wing" anytime the aircraft is coming AT you and you want to roll wings level ...put (push) the stick to the same side of the low wing and you will roll wings level. No thinking required, no panic involved. No smoking hole.

Cheers...Mike

Dec 29, 2013 at 01:28 AM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.4017 #5 · p.4017 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim:
I presume you are talking about the parkzone t-28? I've turned at least 4 of those into styropfoam bits. But they really are easy to fly! wink wink...

what happened? do you think the battery shifted rear? All joking aside they are a breeze to fly as long as the CG is right.

Glenn

Dec 29, 2013 at 02:06 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4017 #6 · p.4017 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

A little 1:1 scale, fortunately I'm much better at that!

Dec 29, 2013 at 02:23 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4017 #7 · p.4017 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks Mike, good tip!

Glenn, when I get it reassembled with the new fuselage, Chandler and I will come and find you. We're both scared to fly it again.

We want to get the big Carbon Cub that is being released January 28th, or as I told Chandler this afternoon, we could just get a shovel and bury a grand out behind the hangar. That would save us a lot of driving around.......

Dec 29, 2013 at 02:28 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4017 #8 · p.4017 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

We have the Spektrum 4E, the guy that gave us the rah, rah on the Trojan told me we should upgrade to the Spektrum 8. He claimed it will make our flying much better. I'm worried he is just making his P&L better. If we ever get the big Carbon Cub, we'll have to upgrade to something.

Chandler loves this stuff and, other than watching our airplanes bounce off the ground, I enjoy doing it with him. Can't believe I can't master this, but so far I'm wondering.

Dec 29, 2013 at 02:36 AM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.4017 #9 · p.4017 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

i'm still cracking up here! "chandler, you better let me take it first - i know what I'm doing"...

Dec 29, 2013 at 03:43 AM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.4017 #10 · p.4017 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

And I can guarantee you a DX8 isnt going to increase your flight time any either!

did you damage the motor during the crash? If so, the Supertigre .10 is a sweet replacement and nice performace upgrade still using the stock ESC. With the right prop it will almost climb vertical out of your hand.

Glenn

Dec 29, 2013 at 03:47 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

yipDog
• •
p.4017 #11 · p.4017 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Well...all this talk of RC I suppose I should chime in.
Been flying RC for close to 30 years and have been an instructor for almost as long.
Please, please, please join the AMA and a local club. AMA for insurance and legal reasons and a club to get a second set of eyes on what you're doing and instruction.
And get a simulator. I've been using Great Planes Real Flight for many years to keep my fingers nimble, push the envelope safely and to teach friends who were interested. There are several other really good ones out there but none have the support that RF does. Especially get the sim if you want to fly helis.

And on the "gear" front...any basic 4 channel radio will work just fine to learn the basics. Much like tripods or lenses though, the transmitter is one piece you will have much longer than anything else. Don't skimp. 8 or 9 channel versions are not terribly expensive and once Chandler graduates to a plane with flaps, retracts, or more complex setups, it'll be required. And all the radios I'm thinking of can store multiple planes and helis so you only need one. But the salesman's line about making you fly better is BS!
Feel free to PM me with any questions about RC. I just got back into it last year after a couple years off for building my business. I am a research nut and have lists of all the good sites and resources.

Dec 29, 2013 at 04:42 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.4017 #12 · p.4017 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Good Stuff Rob! Fun couple of hours this morning...

Fighting the R/C bug really hard here. Used to fly it. Electric looks much lower maint!

Dec 29, 2013 at 06:01 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
p.4017 #13 · p.4017 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Another point about RC, Jim: The smaller the model, the more difficult it is to control. You'd be much better off learning with at least a 40 size than a small model; by small I mean under maybe 48-inch wingspan. 56- to 60-inch is good.

Here's what should be a terrific first low-wing model.
http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1033.html
I had the built-up kit version years ago, with flaps, and it was my all-time favorite; it flew beautifully. I wanted them to make a 60-size version, but they never did.

Dec 29, 2013 at 01:39 PM
Aero_70

p.4017 #14 · p.4017 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I agree 100% with what Yipdog said, get a simulator. It will help the learning curve. I did the same thing with my son. I bought a 4 channel, electric foam glider. It slow, stable and easy to learn on. I told my son that once he could take off, land and perform "planned" coordinated turns without losing altitude on the simulator that he could fly the plane. Now he's on a foam 3D plane and puts me to shame.
The great thing with foam (depending on the type) is that its super durable and easily fixed with toothpicks, CA glue and/or packing tape.

Dec 29, 2013 at 02:04 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.4017 #15 · p.4017 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hope our friends in Southern England are doing OK amid the high water, cold temps and electrical outages.

Edit for TOPP:

A selfie:

Dec 29, 2013 at 02:20 PM
futurshox
• • • •
p.4017 #16 · p.4017 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

All this talk of RC stuff... Thanks to my husband, I have joined the ranks of flying camera operators! Now, this thing is super easy to fly. You can just park it in the sky :-) It's awesome!

Dec 29, 2013 at 03:46 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4017 #17 · p.4017 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks for all the tips Guys!

Glenn, yes, I'd like to have a video of that whole chain of events. I figured one of two things were going to take place. If it was easier to fly than our Cub, then I could fly it just fine and let Chandler fly it the second time. If, as I suspected, it wasn't, then I'd be the one to crunch it so Chandler didn't have the guilt. Obviously scenario number 2 was the case.

Chandler is absolutely fascinated by RC, but he has developed (justifiably so) an apprehension that I don't want him to have. We waited until late yesterday afternoon for the wind to die off so we could fly the RC Cub. He kept saying he just wanted to "taxi". We walked out behind the hangar to "the taxiway to nowhere" and I told him that he needed to fly it. He did, and flew well, but after a couple of ovals he pulled the power and was going to land. I told him to power up and fly it for a while. Everything was going well so I figured why not run the battery out. Chandler's perspective was, everything had gone well up to that point, so why not land and go home without another RC tragedy. He flew it a few more ovals and set it down in the field.

I hadn't thought of CG, just kind of figured the batteries sit where they sit and the manufacturer figured all that out. We didn't hurt the T28 engine or prop, the fuselage took a good hit, so we ordered a replacement. The wings are fine, and so is the empennage. Even the break away cockpit was fine, except our pilot came unglued, but we fixed that. I think one of my problems with the 28 was flying it too fast, it's a lot quicker than the Cub. I should have reduced power to whatever was needed to keep it in the air, and adapted to it at that speed.

I can't imagine spending months/years, building an RC plane and flying it. A friend of mine is prez of a big bank in Dallas. He got mesmerized by RC flight a few years ago. One Saturday he called me in a panic and asked if I could fly recon in my Cub over a wooded area where he just lost his RC plane. His plane was an L39 ducted fan with a 10' wingspan. He couldn't get to where he thought it went in. I launched and looked for an hour, to no avail. A month later he called me to tell me that he had purchased an identical L39, launched it on the maiden flight, but was so nervous he flew it right into the ground. He subsequently has taken up skeet

We'd be happy if we could get good enough to fly the big Carbon Cub sans disaster. Right now, at $259.00 a minute, there are a lot of 1:1's we could be flying without the trauma. Somehow I think we'll work through this.

Insurance is another thought, although at this point we are flying on acres of ground with no one but the two of us, with slow airframes. I can see having it as this progresses.

Congrats Lady Jo on your new acquisition!

Dec 29, 2013 at 06:15 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4017 #18 · p.4017 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

yipDog wrote:
Well...all this talk of RC I suppose I should chime in.
Been flying RC for close to 30 years and have been an instructor for almost as long.
Please, please, please join the AMA and a local club. AMA for insurance and legal reasons and a club to get a second set of eyes on what you're doing and instruction.
And get a simulator. I've been using Great Planes Real Flight for many years to keep my fingers nimble, push the envelope safely and to teach friends who were interested. There are several other really good ones out there but none
...Show more

Thanks Yip, we have Phoenix, but it seems marginal. Problem is we only have an old pc laptop to run it on, and none of them run on Mac platforms. Maybe Phoenix is accurate, because I came home and crashed the T28 about 30 times.........

We'll take your advice and join a local club, thanks. There's a paved strip RC field right on the lake just east of the field. Y'all who have come out to play may have seen it as we flew the lake shore. We're going to go over there and introduce ourselves. Are RC people warm and welcoming? Or are they like the photographers that don't hang at MA2A.........well, .......a ...........you know what I mean.

P.S. Full disc................

Edited on Dec 29, 2013 at 06:31 PM · View previous versions

Dec 29, 2013 at 06:27 PM
Donald Gray
• • • •
p.4017 #19 · p.4017 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Welcome, Lady Jo, to the wicked world of UAV Pilots - great to see it works well with those bent propellers

Dec 29, 2013 at 06:29 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.4017 #20 · p.4017 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Donald Gray wrote:
Welcome, Lady Jo, to the wicked world of UAV Pilots - great to see it works well with thse bent propellers

Leftenant Gray has consented to shepherd me through a quad-copter build during the first quarter of 2014. To say Donald knows his stuff would be a gross understatement. He is more than helpful; especially considering his apprentice is from the "colonies"

An interesting article on the world's most expensive photographs.

http://www.slrlounge.com/2-most-expensive-photographs-in-the-world

As one would expect and is the case with most artists, the big money does not come until the photographer/artist is dead. It is my understanding that AA never sold a single print for more than a few hundred dollars during his lifetime.

A 777 surfing the afternoon marine layer and haze at LAX…...

Dec 29, 2013 at 08:28 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password