Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              4004      
       4006              4243       4244       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Tim Adams
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4005 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I want to try to get most of the plane sharp in G2A so I shoot anywhere from 1/125-1/320. 1/320 is only for the tiny plastic planes, and aero acts that really turn the engine and prop hard. WWII big iron is never faster that 1/250.

Dec 14, 2013 at 05:41 AM
nrferguson
• • •
p.4005 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

As we are into the "Scottish Widows" team at the moment, these are at 1/500 but it's probably a bit fast, whilst the Dakota is at 1/250 (but not a brilliantly sharp image - probably due to camera shake because it was a long way off, rather than motion blur)
Niall

Canon EOS 7D    400mm    f/14.0    1/500s    320 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF300mm f/2.8L IS II USM +1.4x lens    420mm    f/10.0    1/250s    500 ISO    0.0 EV  

Dec 14, 2013 at 09:53 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4005 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Brian's wonderful Stearman image is a great example of the "full disc" goal. Not everyone can get them, no one can get them all the time, for some it's not even a goal, some like the effect, some don't care. Therein lies one of the beauties of our passion and trade. Kind of a "from each according to his/her ability, to each according to his/her vision" to paraphrase good 'Ol Karl.

Because of Brian's vision and skill at the instant the Stearman was captured, one can see something I don't ever remember seeing prior to this image, a perfect shade sketch of the radial engine on the back of the prop, very cool! Well done Brian!!

Dec 14, 2013 at 02:55 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.4005 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Brian's wonderful Stearman image is a great example of the "full disc" goal. Not everyone can get them, no one can get them all the time, for some it's not even a goal, some like the effect, some don't care. Therein lies one of the beauties of our passion and trade. Kind of a "from each according to his/her ability, to each according to his/her vision" to paraphrase good 'Ol Karl.

Because of Brian's vision and skill at the instant the Stearman was captured, one can see something I don't ever remember seeing prior to this image, a perfect shade sketch
...Show more

Not to mention both of the right wings! I puzzled over that shadow on the prop disc until Jim's note made it obvious...

Love the watermark 'stenciled' on the side of the fuselage, too, Brian

Dec 14, 2013 at 03:11 PM
nickjohnson
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4005 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Oh, and did you see the orange / yellow “feathers” on the trailing edge of the main gear? Super job Brian.

Here in the UK I mostly find myself shooting G to A into a flat grey sky. In the past I've often ended up busting a gut trying for a full disk only to be rewarded with an invisible disk!
From now on I'm going to reserve silly shutter speeds for helicopters – getting any blur into those big two blade Bells is hard work.

Dec 14, 2013 at 03:39 PM
Ryan Harris

p.4005 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I tend to go for as much prop blur as possible, no matter the situation. I like the motion blur I can get, and I enjoy the challenge. I lose more shots than I gain, but when I get the one it makes it all worth it.

That being said, I have learned that the gearing on the different engines will give a full disk on a Merlin (P-51) at 1/100, but that same setting will leave gaps on an Allison (P-40) or R-2800 (Corsair) powered airplane so I'm constantly adjusting depending on what is flying by. Number of prop blades also affects this, which is why Brian's shot with a 2-blade Stearman is not an easy one to get!

Dec 14, 2013 at 04:15 PM
nrferguson
• • •
p.4005 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

nickjohnson wrote:
Oh, and did you see the orange / yellow “feathers” on the trailing edge of the main gear? Super job Brian.

Here in the UK I mostly find myself shooting G to A into a flat grey sky. In the past I've often ended up busting a gut trying for a full disk only to be rewarded with an invisible disk!
From now on I'm going to reserve silly shutter speeds for helicopters – getting any blur into those big two blade Bells is hard work.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3781/9427767487_8079e734c7_o.jpg

Amen to that
Niall

Dec 14, 2013 at 05:42 PM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.4005 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Aircraft with internal props are much easier to photograph

Dec 14, 2013 at 05:50 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4005 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Ain't that the truth Jeff! It's easy to get a full disc on the Global front stages Whenever I have a jet subject air to air, it's a whole different set of rules, and much less pressure. (That is , of course, if everything that is in the aircraft, remains in the aircraft……….. )

Edited on Dec 14, 2013 at 11:09 PM · View previous versions

Dec 14, 2013 at 06:50 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4005 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Kids day at HQ, they are all bundled in throws laying around watching a marathon of Monsters Inc, Despicable Me etc. Chandler and I are working on the R/C Park Flyer Cub and his Nieuport kit. What this place needs is a fireplace…hmmm.

Dec 14, 2013 at 07:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.4005 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1PHl5NTyi4&feature=c4-overview&list=UUVL8eO9ruuT_HI-izN187sw

Featuring Glenn Watson

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:28 PM
gerov
• • • • •
p.4005 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jan-Arie wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1PHl5NTyi4&feature=c4-overview&list=UUVL8eO9ruuT_HI-izN187sw

Featuring Glenn Watson

very cool video - nice to get the view from the cockpit.

Thanks J-A

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:48 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4005 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Good example of old fashioned drive, Glenn created that opportunity from nothing. He knew they were going to be in town, did some research and learned where the previous stop was going to be, contacted the powers that be and proposed his photographic plan. Well done Glenn!

Dec 15, 2013 at 02:27 AM
astrobrian
• • •
p.4005 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:

Because of Brian's vision and skill at the instant the Stearman was captured, one can see something I don't ever remember seeing prior to this image, a perfect shade sketch
...Show more

There was a little bit of the man upstairs putting me and the sun in agreeable spots as well Thank you for the kind words on that.

Dec 15, 2013 at 05:23 AM
astrobrian
• • •
p.4005 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
Not to mention both of the right wings! I puzzled over that shadow on the prop disc until Jim's note made it obvious...

Love the watermark 'stenciled' on the side of the fuselage, too, Brian

Thanks! I wasn't totally sure what I would get on the reverse side of the disc when I shot it but I knew at the very least it would show up given the sun angle, the shadows were a nice bonus. With the watermark I try to put that in a place that looks a part of the photo when I can, this one worked out nicely for that.

Dec 15, 2013 at 05:28 AM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.4005 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

A number of our Arizona Aviation Photographers (AzAP) group went to Tucson for some night photography at the Pima Air & Space Museum. While this is a semi-annual event for our group, it was my first time. We had nearly a full moon, clear skies and some ambient light from Tucson. It got a tad chilly as the hour grew late, but nothing a warm coat could not handle. Here are a couple of my efforts at long exposures. It was a fun way to spend an evening with some talented shooters in a non-typical aviation photography environment. I have a lot to learn

Boeing B-52 Stratofortress

Convair B-58 Hustler

Dec 15, 2013 at 09:50 AM
Donald Gray
• • • •
p.4005 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

That B52 ia outstanding. Is that a 'shooting star' that you captured? (above the wing wheel on the left...

Dec 15, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.4005 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Donald Gray wrote:
That B52 ia outstanding. Is that a 'shooting star' that you captured? (above the wing wheel on the left...

Thanks Donald. Actually, I believe that was a left-over from a meteor shower we had the evening before.

Dec 15, 2013 at 10:48 AM
gerov
• • • • •
p.4005 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I'll second what Donald said on the B52, and raise him with a fabulous on the Hustler shot - the star trails are a really nice touch.

Dec 15, 2013 at 01:00 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4005 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Wow Jeff! Wish I was a bit closer, sure would love to be a part of your active, and talented group.

Dec 15, 2013 at 02:25 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password