Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              4003      
       4005              4253       4254       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

nickjohnson
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4004 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Terrific stuff Donald. Might I suggest that there may be less elaborate ways to tidy the autumn leaves in the garden? The sheep herding was very impressive. You may be getting a call from the sheep dogs union.

Edit for TOPP

Dec 12, 2013 at 10:46 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4004 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Donald, mine is the Phantom 2 with built-in Vision camera. I looked at test video of both Hero3 and Phantom Vision before purchasing; it looked like pretty much of a wash in terms of IQ. At least, that's what I tell myself. The advantage of your setup is clearly the two-axis gimbal; the Vision is only stabilized in pitch, not roll.

Did you see my test vid when I posted it a few weeks ago?

http://vimeo.com/79149863

I only uploaded it at a modest size (I don't pay for a Vimeo account and it limits the size of my files) but the full resolution video looks pretty good to me. The Phantom 2 has great battery life: 20-25 minutes and all the auto-hover and auto-Home features you've got with yours, but I didn't have the satisfaction of building it.

By the way, it looks like one of your props is unbalanced: I noted as you power up how one of the arms goes through a period of sympathetic vibration.

And what are those monoliths in the field, in your test video?

Dec 12, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Donald Gray
• • • •
p.4004 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Ham Hill is an Iron Age settlment and was a Roman Fortress and quary. Ham stone is famouse for its redish colour and is used in most of the local houses.

The monoliths were erected as a stone circle as a monument to the Millenium 2000.

Ham Hill is still an active quary for limited extraction or stone.
--------------
I have just had a look at your Phantom Vision Video - I take back my comment re IQ. It is very nice. the flight time of the V2 over the V1 is a vast improvement - 25 minutes Vs 7! I am happy with my 15 minutes but plan to get another LiPo battery later.
---------------
I apologize to everyone who doesnt need or want to know about prop palancing but this is for Steve and all RC Aircraft/Drone/Boat enthusiasts...

Yes, my props were out of balance - I had ordered a DU-Bro prop balancer but it hadn't been delivered & I was too keen to see my baby in the air.

When the balancer arrived, I just could not get proper results. I discovered one of the cones was off centre - I did a video of it and showed it to the manufacturer - They sent me another cone but that too was out of balance... they are sending me 'a few' more for me to try. http://vimeo.com/79600704

However, I have researched the whole subject of prop balancing and have made a simple laser + mirror balancer that dynamically balances the motor casing, prop hub and the prop itself.

I got the idea from this video Laser balancing
I slightly modified their methodology and found that using a laser and mirror gave outstandingly sensitive results. I did a write up for another group I am a member of. It may be of interest to you:
---------------------------
Well, well, well! I am very surprised at the ease of balancing this is. I found it very sensitive and apparently very accurate.

The ethos I adopted was 'consistency leads to repeatability and accuracy' ...

My kit:
* A small red laser unit salvaged from an old spirit level. (Cost when the level and tripod was new at B&Q £10)
(Do an eBay search for a laser pointer.)
* A small mirror. (salvaged from a defunct scanner in which there is a mirror with the silvering on the front surface) I put a small strip of double sided carpet tape on the back
* small vice to clamp the laser unit on.
* a roll of sticky insulating tape (for balancing)
* Bottle of Tipp-ex (for marking parts)

Once set up, I had balanced the four propulsion units on the quad in about half an hour. I say propulsion unit because following the methodology, balances the outer motor case, prop hub, prop and the prop nut as a whole and not just the prop.

Methodology:
I did not disconnect any of the motors. Each of the 4 motors were powered up in the process.
My quad has the larger landing legs that lift the motor arms above the deck. If your drone relies on the short stubby legs on the arm, you will need to lift the legs free while doing the test. I suggest a book or something similar under the body of the drone.

Preparation:
1) First, remove all props.
2) Mark each arm with its appropriate motor number (I used a CD/DVD pen)
3) Mark ONE tip of each PROP with a small touch of Tipp-ex.
4) Mark the orientation of each prop to the orientation of the motor shaft and on the outer casing of the motor. (I used a small dollop of Tipp-ex.)
5) Using the CD/DVD marker pen, give each prop the number of the motor it will be associated with. The same with each prop nut. I don’t believe the nuts will be out of balance anyway but there is no harm in being consistent.

Balancing:
6) Still with no props fitted…
7) Connect freshly charged battery
8) Attach the mirror to the stubby leg on the end of #1 motor arm, using double sided sticky tape
9) Put the drone in position with the mirror at 45 degrees to the laser, the laser should be in front of the drone. The reflected laser spot will be projected a 90 degrees, hopefully on to the wall adjacent.
9) Arm and start up the un-propped motors on slow revs. Adjust the laser and mirror so that you can see the projected spot on the adjacent wall.
10) Holding the top of the drone to stop it from moving, slowly rev up the motors and observe the laser spot. Hopefully, the motor will be in balance and the spot will not move.
11) Stop motor.
12) Install the prop and nut in the orientation previously marked.
13) Arm & start motor on low revs – observe the laser spot. Keeping your hand and arm well clear of the prop, apply gentle downward pressure of the drone. ( You don’t want it tipping over during the next steps)
14) Slowly advance the throttle to rake off speed and to flying speed. Observe the laser spot. If it doesn’t move, it may well be a well-balanced propulsion unit. However, deliberately unbalance the prop by adding a little insulating tape on one side of the prop (Note which side, the one with the Tipp-ex or the other) and do the test again. This time there will be a marked difference in the behaviour of the laser spot!

At this point you will have to experiment with the size and placement of your favourite balancing tape until you get the spot to be as steadty as possible. Once yiou are happy with the balance of the prop, remove it and its nut from the motor and start over again at (8) above until each motor unit is done in turn.

When finished, remove the battery and assemble each prop on their respective motor, observing the orientation of the prop on its shaft and lock it down with its nut. You’re done. Now go for a test flight.

A note on motor balance:
I have only seen the inside of two motors (different manufacturers). Both had some hardened ‘goo’ that was obviously there to balance the outer case of the motor (as my daughter would describe it: “the spinney round bit”

One of these motors I noticed had some metallic debris (AKA: FOD) stuck between some of the magnets. This could have been ingressed during a crash near metal shaving contaminated ground or even if the motor had been rattling around a tool box or other environment where metal shavings were present. The magnets are extremely powerful and can attract fine metal FOD during its life. At the rotational speed the spinney round bit travels, this could/might//may/will unbalance the motor.

The method I adopted will counteract any unbalances in the motor case, propeller boss, propeller and its nut.
----------------------
Here endeth the lesson

Dec 12, 2013 at 11:59 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.4004 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123373835

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBagnOGDHFU

New arrival today.

© NightOwl Cat 2013

© NightOwl Cat 2013

© NightOwl Cat 2013

© NightOwl Cat 2013

© NightOwl Cat 2013

Brave Soul, 7°F/-14°C at landing time

Dec 13, 2013 at 01:48 AM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.4004 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

@Laura - Super photos of the Osprey - a tough platform to photograph. Image #1 is my favorite.

We enjoyed a terrific sunset this evening. It even made this FedEx A300 look good. I guess you really can put lipstick on a pig

BTW, I'm confident that most of the packages in that plane were ordered by my wife!

Dec 13, 2013 at 05:55 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.4004 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks Jeff. It was the first time I ever saw the aircraft fly, so didn't know what to expect. I suspect the pilot put on a bit of an extra show since we'd all braved those temps for the arrival. Bad thing is that during a good portion of the flyover, the sun was directly in my lens, first pass through I got an eyeball full of sun, something that normally doesn't happen here during the winter months. I'm just happy that one of my husband's coworkers gave me the heads up on the arrival so I could plan better. Oh, and the two galleries are back open, and the behind the scenes tours are back, as well. If you want to visit the R&D and Presidential Galleries, now is the time, as the buses weren't even filled up yesterday, and in talking with the volunteer that was at that desk, this time of year is really slow in there.

Dec 13, 2013 at 01:50 PM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.4004 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

A cousin to Jim's Globals buzzing the tower at KPHX.

Dec 13, 2013 at 02:53 PM
PDumm
• •
p.4004 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hi every one, Got a question. Was out photographing some Christmas 'Heavies' this morning and was getting a wide range of exposers from under to way over exposed in just a few second apart. I was shooting in Aperture-priority mode and had metering set in matrix. Is my D800 just not awake in the morning or am I just doing some thing wrong?

Thanks
Paul

Dec 13, 2013 at 06:11 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4004 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hi Paul,

Zim may have another take, mine is the mistake you were making was shooting something moving with a D800 Wish it wasn't so, love the camera for a lot of things, but when you introduce a moving subject, it just isn't the camera of choice, and it won't make you look like a hero.

Dec 13, 2013 at 07:19 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.4004 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Paul, let me ask the obvious question: do you have HDR bracketing turned on by mistake?

Dec 13, 2013 at 08:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

PDumm
• •
p.4004 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

No Sir.
............................wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwell, now that I look at it, I fell like the worlds biggest dumm-a$$, So that would be a, YEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
# 4237 time this year I lived up to my name.

Thanks, Zim.

Dec 13, 2013 at 09:26 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.4004 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

PDumm wrote:
No Sir.
............................wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwell, now that I look at it, I fell like the worlds biggest dumm-a$$, So that would be a, YEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
# 4237 time this year I lived up to my name.

Thanks, Zim.

It's all part of the total service package that is MA2A. And it's not like I haven't done this myself, more times than I can count; that's why I asked the question.

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Ryan Harris

p.4004 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

One for Jim. Hopefully people will be getting shots of his B-25 like this in the not too distant future!

Dec 14, 2013 at 01:58 AM
PDumm
• •
p.4004 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks again Zim, I have a bad habit of makeing changes like that and forgetting to change it back when I'm done.

Dec 14, 2013 at 02:02 AM
Tim Adams
• • • •
p.4004 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Taxi.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM lens    70mm    f/9.0    1/40s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Dec 14, 2013 at 02:12 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4004 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks for fielding Paul's question Zim. I was distracted when I read it and completely missed the over/under exposure part. Gotta love the knowledge here, among a host of other things.

Dec 14, 2013 at 02:21 AM
Tim Adams
• • • •
p.4004 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hoot Gibson in 232 at pylon 2. Notice the common problem of racing Sea Fury's, the open tail wheel door. At the home pylon on the final lap it ingested the intake scoop. Hoot executed a perfect mayday landing.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF500mm f/4L IS USM lens    500mm    f/7.1    1/250s    100 ISO    +0.7 EV  

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF500mm f/4L IS USM lens    500mm    f/9.0    1/250s    100 ISO    +1.0 EV  

Dec 14, 2013 at 04:35 AM
Tim Adams
• • • •
p.4004 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Sparky.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF500mm f/4L IS USM lens    500mm    f/10.0    1/250s    100 ISO    +0.7 EV  

Dec 14, 2013 at 04:48 AM
astrobrian
• • •
p.4004 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Just a small point of curiosity struck me today. We all have it understood that during an A2A it is full disc or go home pretty much, but what about G2A? Is there an agreed upon standard or "expected minimum percentage" of a disc? Take Jelly Belly above at about 25-30% of a disc as an example of what I mean. Just picking the fruit from the wealth of knowledge tree here.

Dec 14, 2013 at 05:31 AM
Donald Gray
• • • •
p.4004 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

At my age, prop blurr means the rest of the image is blurred too!

That is a great shot...

Dec 14, 2013 at 05:39 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password