Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              4002      
       4004              4305       4306       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

futurshox
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4003 #1 · p.4003 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Donald Gray wrote:
You can blame Lady Jo, it is all her fault!

A blame that I will happily accept, if it results in things like this! Nice one, Donald, and a pretty village you have there

Ooh, top of page. Let's set the wayback machine for several years ago, when this SPAD XIII was about to be finished down at Kingsbury. They wanted it photographed before it got covered up. They brought in the big guns for this (Phil Makanna) but I got to go play as well

Dec 12, 2013 at 02:39 PM
Colin Giersberg
• • • •
p.4003 #2 · p.4003 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I really like the uncovered views of the Spad, Jo. It's not very often that you get to see what planes look like when uncovered.

Dec 12, 2013 at 03:40 PM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.4003 #3 · p.4003 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

futurshox wrote:
They brought in the big guns for this (Phil Makanna) but I got to go play as well

Great photographs of the Spad Jo. As Colin said, it really shows of the craftsmanship and detail that ultimately is hidden under the fabric. Don't kid yourself, I'm betting Makanna was looking over your shoulder from time to time - just to see what Lady Jo was shooting

An F-16C ready to chirp the tires on RWY 03L at Luke.

Dec 12, 2013 at 04:12 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4003 #4 · p.4003 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Exaaaactly Jeff!

Dec 12, 2013 at 04:52 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.4003 #5 · p.4003 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

ELinder wrote:
I'm about 15 pages behind because I've been shooting more horse competitions. Between now and spring I'll do about 8 total. Nothing like people wanting about 2 thousand photos taken over multiple days to be processed and posted the same day. :-) I'm livin' at ISO 10,200 almost constantly. This gig would not have been possible without the D4’s great high ISO performance, big f/2.8 glass, and Lightroom's noise reduction.

Erich

Nice, Erich!

Ah, the joys of event photography. I shot a musical theater performance in early September and created a photo book for the cast; 34 people ordered books. During the time it took me to get the order in, my supplier changed pricing on me. Twice (and not in my favor, of course). After weeks of no communications (the website said my order was "in Process"; it still does) they shipped 31 books instead of 34; customer service rep in some far-off land said they knew it and that another 3 books were coming under separate cover (there was no way for me to tell without calling Bangladore). Another singer wanted a book, so I had to order a singleton copy. The supplier sent out one package with four copies...and another with a single copy. Meanwhile, my clients don't all have the books they paid for and they won't meet again until after the holidays.

Ah, the joys of event photography.

Dec 12, 2013 at 04:54 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4003 #6 · p.4003 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

What are you mounting the GoPro on Donald? Beautiful village. I have long been amazed and impressed by your ever expanding use of technology. Nothing seems to intimidate you, and good on Ya for that!!

Dec 12, 2013 at 05:02 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.4003 #7 · p.4003 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

This seems like a very cool set up and the reviews of the Gimbal are very positive............

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1003214-REG/dji_quadcopter_with_gopro_gimbal.html

Dec 12, 2013 at 05:18 PM
nickjohnson
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4003 #8 · p.4003 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Donald Gray wrote:
Contrary to popular belief, I and still alive and kicking! I havent posted for a heck of a long time but just wanted to let you all how much I enjoy looking at your photos.

I don't manage to do any aviation stuff these days other than once a year with Nick & Rich at Yeovilton.

I have managed however, to still keep up some interest in aerial photography. Some time ago, I saw a timelapse of Lady Jo's shed being assembled, taken with a GoPro Hero camera. I invested in a GoPro Hero3 as a 'fun' camera... love it!

I have
...Show more

Nice to see you back again Donald! Have you had the other side done yet, or are you still going round in circles?
Super fun video of Gray Towers and the serf's accommodation. Has the Butler's cabin got a roof yet?

Dec 12, 2013 at 05:31 PM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.4003 #9 · p.4003 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
This seems like a very cool set up and the reviews of the Gimbal are very positive.........…

A member of our AzAP continent has a Phantom and likes it very much. From the videos I've seen him produce thus far, it appears to be a very stable and effective platform.

Dec 12, 2013 at 05:45 PM
nickjohnson
• • •
p.4003 #10 · p.4003 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
What are you mounting the GoPro on Donald? Beautiful village. I have long been amazed and impressed by your ever expanding use of technology. Nothing seems to intimidate you, and good on Ya for that!!

Jim, on the subject of Donald and technology. Some time ago, I was invited to view a part of Gray Towers that few get to see. Now Sir Donald called the room “The Study” - well, not so much an understatement – more a lack of appropriate words. Let me see – how about Museum / Communications Centre / Electronics Development Lab / Light, Mid-size and Heavy Engineering Workshop / Main Store depot for “Parts R Us” - oh, and there is a desk and chair and books (LOTS of books) so I guess it is a study as well.
In short, the English Tourist Board wanted to list it as an official attraction, but where unable to come up with a suitable classification.

Dec 12, 2013 at 05:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

stevezzzz
• • • •
p.4003 #11 · p.4003 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Donald, I really enjoyed your video; isn't the Phantom a kick? What's the odd structure/lean-to near the car park at the edge of the soccer...er, football pitch?

Dec 12, 2013 at 06:13 PM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.4003 #12 · p.4003 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Very Cool Donald and it goes pretty high to

Dec 12, 2013 at 06:14 PM
nickjohnson
• • •
p.4003 #13 · p.4003 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Steve if you mean the structure @2.22 …. err.... that's why I asked about the roof on the Butler's cabin.

Dec 12, 2013 at 07:34 PM
Donald Gray
• • • •
p.4003 #14 · p.4003 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks for the comments, all

I did look at the Phantom - that is the quad/drone that my son in Australia has, however I was (easily) talked into a wee bit bigger, but needed to be built and some soldering to be done..

I got the DJI F450 Flame Wheel Quad with the Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal.. The aircraft is very sophisticated. It is fitted with autopilot, GPS (gps to within a few feet), and 3 axis gyros.

It has a fail-safe of 'Fly to Home'. It takes a GPS reading of the take off point and in the event of radio failure, or if I hit the panic button on the radio, It will stop what it was doing, pause, attain a height of 20 metres and fly to its take off point, hover for 15 seconds, slowly land and shut down the motors.

I use a 14.8v 5200mA LiPo battery that gives me 15 minutes flight time.

It really is a magic piece of kit and great fun to fly... But it takes a little learning! I have already learnt how not to land on my neighbour's roof.

The photos are as I was building it, before the props & camera fitted.

The gimbal & camera fits unter the bit that sticks out on the right
The orange/white bit sticking up is the GPS receiver and compass system.
The computer/flight controller/auto pilot is un the middle (out of view)

The gimbal fits under the black but with the rubber anti-vibration rubbers.

Dec 12, 2013 at 08:07 PM
Donald Gray
• • • •
p.4003 #15 · p.4003 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jan-Arie wrote:
Very Cool Donald and it goes pretty high to

The setup software allow one to set up to a maximum of 2000 feet!

I dont have an altimeter fitted but I guess I am achieving about 800 feet - it gets a little to small to clearly see which way it is pointing. It does have an ultra bright that (similar to an anti-collision light) thatis on the rear of the craft - that is very useful for direction indication but at height with the aircraft rotated it can also get lost to sight... Still there is the panic switch for 'Return to Home'

If I centre the sticks, the GPS takes over and it will hover at the current height & location.

Dec 12, 2013 at 08:23 PM
Donald Gray
• • • •
p.4003 #16 · p.4003 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff W. wrote:
A member of our AzAP continent has a Phantom and likes it very much. From the videos I've seen him produce thus far, it appears to be a very stable and effective platform.

The issue with the Phantom is its short duration Flight time of 7 minutes without gimbal & camera payload.

DJI have just brought out the Phantom V2 (Phantom Vision) that has its own built in HD camera, but from reports I have had from a friend indicated that the IQ of the Phantom camera does not come anywhere near the IQ of the GoPro Hero3

The Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal is stabilised with veru accurate ansd fast brushless motors and keeps the camera horizontal on turns or altitude changes. It makes for a much nicer video result - the horizons don't tilt.

Dec 12, 2013 at 08:34 PM
Donald Gray
• • • •
p.4003 #17 · p.4003 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

nickjohnson wrote:
Nice to see you back again Donald! Have you had the other side done yet, or are you still going round in circles?
Super fun video of Gray Towers and the serf's accommodation. Has the Butler's cabin got a roof yet?

Good evening Nicholas,

I seem to be able to walk in a straight line now with my new tin hip, thank you.

Indeed the Butler's cabin is now completed and ready for you to move in. You must provide your own uniform an gloves. Naturally the cost of your accommodation will be ducted from your monthly allowance. However, you will be allowed time off to take up a second employment to supplement your most generous remuneration from us. You may take your leave every third Sunday afternoon once you have cleaned all the shoes, silver, checked and locked the wine cellar and valeted the cars. You must report back for duty at 18:00 on the day of your time off.

Dec 12, 2013 at 08:48 PM
Donald Gray
• • • •
p.4003 #18 · p.4003 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
Donald, I really enjoyed your video; isn't the Phantom a kick? What's the odd structure/lean-to near the car park at the edge of the soccer...er, football pitch?

It is a 'football' field.

It as a place for kids to play in - I guess it is supposed to represent a wigwam.

PS , I have the DJI F450 Flame Wheel, not a Phantom...

Dec 12, 2013 at 08:53 PM
futurshox
• • • •
p.4003 #19 · p.4003 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Holy cow Donald, you don't mess about when buying your attack drones, do you? Looks like a serious piece of kit.

Dec 12, 2013 at 09:37 PM
Donald Gray
• • • •
p.4003 #20 · p.4003 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

futurshox wrote:
Holy cow Donald, you don't mess about when buying your attack drones, do you? Looks like a serious piece of kit.

Well, it was all your fault in the first place (Thanks)

This is of my very first flight - risky because I was advised to take my solo in a large field - I chose a small corner of the garden - it focused the mind! The video is of the F450 itself, not a vid taken by an on board cam
First flight
EDIT: This video also shows the new Butler's residence specially constructed for Nicholas with all mod cons (windows and a roof)

This was my first out in the wild with the camera & gimbal fitted... learning to control the craft and the camera - The wind was gusting to 30mph
Ham Hill Country Park

Dec 12, 2013 at 10:13 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password