Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3978      
       3980              4242       4243       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Ryan Harris

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3979 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Another from the epic photo flight.

Nov 18, 2013 at 01:12 AM
Leo Hursh
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3979 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

More great images, y'all!!!

I went out shooting this afternoon/evening with a young man who has the makings of a good photog. Before we left the location we were shooting, I had to get a shot of my wife's ride. Had a bit of help from a passing motorist...

Red Sled...

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens    24mm    f/11.0    30s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 18, 2013 at 03:30 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3979 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Very nicely done Leo! I love the tones in that shot. You are right, the car passing by helped as well, luck is good too my friend!

Nov 18, 2013 at 04:11 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3979 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Chandler came out yesterday to build one of his models at his bench in the hangar. The wind dropped off from 30 to what seemed like reasonable around sunset and he was hot on a Cub flight, so we launched. John in the tower called it 12 @170, no biggie. We blasted down the runway for about 10' and popped into the air.........John then said, "Hope you have your belts tightened, because everyone is telling us it's really rough.." Just about that time I felt like we had just penetrated the wake turbulence of a BBJ. Even Chandler, who is all about tummy tickles and unusual attitudes, asked me what was going on. The atmosphere was really churning. On the roll I saw a broken layer to the west of the airport and thought we might head up on top of that to watch the full moon come up. A couple of minutes in the air and I was focused on getting us back down on the runway without 7PC becoming "my insurance company's airplane". Made one of the best landings ever, taxied to the hangar and went to dinner.

Nov 18, 2013 at 04:21 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3979 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

One from "The Sons of the Flag" event....................

Nov 18, 2013 at 04:31 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3979 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

glad you listened to that inner voice, Jim

Nov 18, 2013 at 09:46 AM
Colin Giersberg
• • • •
p.3979 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

As Laura said, glad you listened to that inner voice.

Nov 18, 2013 at 04:57 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3979 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I flew home from LGA to DEN on Friday last week in the late afternoon. Here's a stereo-X pair of the ridges and valleys of the Appalachian chain north of Harrisburg, PA. The Susquehanna River is visible on the right side of the frame, and the town of Williamsport can be seen in the east-west portion of the river valley in the middle distance on the left. Just out of frame at left is Lock Haven, where Piper built J-3 Cubs, and many other airplanes, from 1937 to the mid-80's, though much production was lost when catastrophic flooding of the Susquehanna in 1972, in the aftermath of Hurricane Agnes, filled the facility with water and debris to a height of 16 feet above the factory floor. I was living and working in eastern PA during that time, and I remember that storm well: a week of unrelenting, wind driven, soaking rains.

Nov 18, 2013 at 08:53 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3979 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Here's another Stereo-X pair, this time of a statuary niche in Florence, Italy, on the facade of the Orsanmichele Church and Museum.

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:28 PM
futurshox
• • • •
p.3979 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

That reminds me; I took some 3D pairs on my flight back from Reno. Here's one of 'em. No idea where it is; somewhere out West I guess...

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jfrickmann

p.3979 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Ernie Aubert wrote:
I have a curiosity I'd like to have satisfied: Are most of you regular photographers on this thread also pilots, or just a lot of you?

I am an RC pilot I fly Discus Launch Gliders (DLG) and electric gliders.
Here is a glider I built from scratch:

I went to the world championship for DLGs in Denmark this year, to help out as an official timekeeper. Here is the US team during the opening ceremony, next to the teams from Russia, Ukraine, Norway and Japan.

Gliders are launched by by discus throws:

Nov 19, 2013 at 01:08 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
p.3979 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

That's a new one on me. I built a couple of HLGs in the '80s, but I'd never heard of DLG. You must have to reinforce one wingtip quite well, I'd presume... I never flew any model, powered or sailplane, with a V tail; do you notice any difference in the response to your control inputs?

Nov 19, 2013 at 02:29 AM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.3979 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

One of my trusty grandsons helping Papa as a photo assistant with some family portrait work I had this afternoon. As you can see, he is a very happy guy

Nov 19, 2013 at 05:22 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3979 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Ok Brain Trust, check this photographer's site out and tell me what you think.

http://www.ericfigge.com

Certainly there is a ton of additional lighting in many of these images, but the captures where it's daytime and the interiors are completely lit, if you were tasked to emulate that technique, how would you do it. Some are pretty dramatic, many, i think are over done, but it's a matter of personal preference. I am just analyzing the photographer's technique.

You could set the camera up and shoot the daytime exposure, then light the blazes out of the home, never moving the camera and expose for that in the evening. I suppose one could light paint the structure too, but I doubt that's how it's done.

You guys who are layer Gurus, is there some technique within PS that is used here? Just curious. Rumor has it that the artist is very pricey, bu pricey is good.

What do you all think?

Nov 19, 2013 at 06:17 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3979 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Here's an example, and I have photographed this very home. It faces West.

Nov 19, 2013 at 06:18 AM
Tim Ashton
• • • •
p.3979 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Ok Brain Trust, check this photographer's site out and tell me what you think.

http://www.ericfigge.com

Certainly there is a ton of additional lighting in many of these images, but the captures where it's daytime and the interiors are completely lit, if you were tasked to emulate that technique, how would you do it. Some are pretty dramatic, many, i think are over done, but it's a matter of personal preference. I am just analyzing the photographer's technique.

You could set the camera up and shoot the daytime exposure, then light the blazes out of the home, never moving the camera and
...Show more

Am i allowed to say I couldnt give a figge for his style??

Tim

Nov 19, 2013 at 10:36 AM
nickjohnson
• • •
p.3979 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

OK Jim, I'll bite. I'm no guru at anything – except for being slow maybe – but the example image has me …..err... confused.
Horizontal shadows on the west facing elevation of a house anywhere near your home turf? OK, yes – possible in the north UK where I am – but near your location? For sure horizontal shadows mean that the “sun” is low in the sky – so the white fluffy cloud is a bit ...err.... “difficult” to get neutral with no colour in it. Oh and I like the way the strong side light has managed to avoid the grass in front of the fence!
Looking at the images on the web site I have to say that there is no lack of tricks being used – it's all there including the kitchen sink! I'm thinking that a lot of the interior images are done using B&W conversions blended back in with layers in Luminosity and Soft Light modes.
Right, that's me done. I'll now stand to one side and await the arrival of wise council.

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:05 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3979 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Good Morning Tim, and yes you are allowed. We are of the same opinion.

Good Morning Nick, and you have hit the nail on the head as well.

Interestingly, the photographer commands a day rate that makes mine look pale apparently. I don't get it, but then there's so much I don't get these days........

Thanks for responding Gentlemen! Have a wonderful day!! I'm off to shoot a project

Nov 19, 2013 at 01:51 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3979 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Here's an example, and I have photographed this very home. It faces West.

This example is the only image of his I can see on my iPad, so I'll take a crack at it without knowing anything of his interior work.

I think the facade and interior were all done at night, with artificial light. Look at the shadows thrown by the two main setbacks: reading from right to left, the shadows get longer, which implies a light source at camera right, but not very far away. The Sun would throw shadows equal in length from both setbacks, assuming they're both the same depth (and it looks like they are). This also implies the use of an elliptical gradient filter in post, to even out the lighting across the facade.

There's another light source near the camera, dialed back to provide fill in the shadows; perhaps more than one, because there's a double shadow at the left setback, but only a single shadow at the right setback. There's a third light source behind the coach house at left, illuminating the side wall of the main house and the underside of the eave above it: it looks like he should have dialed that one down a bit more, because it's the brightest spot on the exterior. The grass in front of the fence and the sky were shot in daylight, but much closer to midday than the simulated sunset lighting he provided for the exterior would lead you to believe.

I don't know how many layers were composited together, but I'm guessing it's at least three, and probably several more: it would be easier to light the interior one space at a time, and certainly would take less gear. To my taste, the interior is over lit, and uninteresting.

The overall effect is a subtle disorientation--or perhaps a not so subtle disorientation--in the mind of the viewer, due to the multiple conflicting cues.

Nov 19, 2013 at 01:58 PM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.3979 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

It amazes me how much talent is floating around here photography and business wise.
It would be something if you could bundle all that knowledge in to a company it would blow away the competition in work quality don't know about the financial site of things as I personally don't have much knowledge about that.
But I think if you deliver the quality the money will follow.

The bar is set higher again.

Nov 19, 2013 at 03:04 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password