FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3977      
       3979              4529       4530       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

FlyingPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3978 #1 · p.3978 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Just a stupid shot from the ground, but it's kinda fun to see what 1.2 of ND can do...
1/100 @ f/3.5 (and no dust spots)

Oct 28, 2014 at 10:05 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.3978 #2 · p.3978 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jay,

can you post up some images of the ND filters you use with your Canon big glass & explain how they work?

Oct 28, 2014 at 10:34 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3978 #3 · p.3978 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Not much to them really. You simply snag one of these:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/763737-REG/Canon_4773B001_52mm_Drop_in_Gelatin_Filter.html

...and then buy a thin-profille 52mm ND of your choice in the strength you want.

You can sandwich ND Gel in the holder that comes with the lens.

There is also a drop-in polarizer which has a knurled wheel protruding just above the drop-in unit so you can rotate it.

Oct 28, 2014 at 11:02 PM
Go4Long
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3978 #4 · p.3978 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I love the drop ins. I've been trying to justify the polarizer ever since I bought my first big lens, but just haven't managed to.

My real problem with the ND's is losing them. I can't even count the number of ND filters I've lost over the years. I'm bad for swapping them, then just leaving the other one on the ledge, or on a seat, or wherever and then forgetting where I put it.

I had a really nice schneider one that is MIA since earlier this year

Oct 28, 2014 at 11:06 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.3978 #5 · p.3978 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jay,

Many thanks. Will look into that.

Oct 28, 2014 at 11:12 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3978 #6 · p.3978 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Glenn Watson wrote:
it is possible to use the same picture and crop slightly different a 2nd frame? That question alone may give away my level of understanding of the process.

Glenn

The key is that everything in the frame has to be shot from two different points of view, but (and here's the kicker) nothing in the frame can be moving relative to the camera between the two frames. I do it from the airplane by capturing a burst as I fly by, and picking the two frames that give the best stereo image; the goal is to aiming the camera at right angles to the direction of motion (i.e., directly off the wing), or as nearly as possible.

I have only once been able to craft a viable stereo pair when shooting air-to-air (see below). I had to move the glider horizontally in one of the frames to make it 'read' as being a normal sized glider in front of the ridge instead of a gigantic glider behind the ridge; the trick was only possible because the glider appeared in both frames against a patch of clear blue sky. You couldn't do it if a detailed background were behind the aircraft, because the background is moving at a different rate than the aircraft relative to the photo platform.

If you're standing on the ground and shooting an aircraft moving against a detailed backdrop, you can sometimes achieve a decent stereo effect on the aircraft only, but nothing else in the frame will appear to be three-dimensional because the backdrop is identical in both frames of the stereo pair since both were shot from the same point of view.

Clear as mud?

Oct 28, 2014 at 11:55 PM
Razor17
• •
p.3978 #7 · p.3978 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Glenn Watson wrote:

Kinda liking this one...

http://www.machpointoneaviation.com/img/s12/v177/p68718289.jpg

Kinda, there is a lot to like there...

Oct 29, 2014 at 12:12 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3978 #8 · p.3978 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Glenn Watson wrote:
it is possible to use the same picture and crop slightly different a 2nd frame? That question alone may give away my level of understanding of the process.

Glenn

That won't work, Glenn. Your brain will fuse the two images just fine, but there will be no three-dimensional illusion.

Oct 29, 2014 at 12:30 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3978 #9 · p.3978 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jan-Arie wrote:
Jim's airfield neighbour Adam Shake and Bake Baker

Must be getting loopy: I was trying to find the second person in that cockpit, the one named Bake Baker.

Oct 29, 2014 at 12:38 AM
Zane Adams
• •
p.3978 #10 · p.3978 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Love that T-bird shot Jan... It has an ethereal quality.

Oct 29, 2014 at 12:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Go4Long
• • • •
p.3978 #11 · p.3978 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
That won't work, Glenn. Your brain will fuse the two images just fine, but there will be no three-dimensional illusion.

If I understand the theory correctly the only way to do it with a moving subject would be to have two cameras side by side set the same taking pictures at the same time...Right?

Oct 29, 2014 at 01:11 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3978 #12 · p.3978 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

From 2000 feet over the Gulf coast of Florida, the first of a series of wetlands studies.

Oct 29, 2014 at 01:13 AM
ELinder
• • •
p.3978 #13 · p.3978 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Go4Long wrote:
If I understand the theory correctly the only way to do it with a moving subject would be to have two cameras side by side set the same taking pictures at the same time...Right?

That's the ideal way of doing it, yes. The cameras are set up just like your two eyes.

Steve's got practical experience doing this, but I'm still wondering if it's possible with a fast frame rate burst. The key would be you would have to be tracking the subject with the camera by rotating the angle of the camera. The different position and slightly different angle would create a slightly different perspective of the subject akin to the difference between your left and right eyes. In post, you'd overlay and align the subject. The background would shift, but i think that'd be OK because at large distances the difference your left and right see is also greater.

Steve, that doesn't work in your experience, or does it result in a sort of faux-3D effect?

Erich

Oct 29, 2014 at 01:29 AM
ELinder
• • •
p.3978 #14 · p.3978 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Rob Holland coming and going.

Erich

NIKON D4S    300.0 mm f/2.8 lens    600mm    f/16.0    1/160s    100 ISO    +0.3 EV  

NIKON D4S    300.0 mm f/2.8 lens    600mm    f/16.0    1/160s    100 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Oct 29, 2014 at 01:48 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3978 #15 · p.3978 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

ELinder wrote:
That's the ideal way of doing it, yes. The cameras are set up just like your two eyes.

Steve's got practical experience doing this, but I'm still wondering if it's possible with a fast frame rate burst. The key would be you would have to be tracking the subject with the camera by rotating the angle of the camera. The different position and slightly different angle would create a slightly different perspective of the subject akin to the difference between your left and right eyes. In post, you'd overlay and align the subject. The background would shift, but i think that'd
...Show more

No, that's backwards: in normal stereo vision, at large distances the difference your left and right eyes see is much less. So yes, it doesn't work. In an air-to-air scenario, by the time the subject aircraft has moved relative the the photo platform enough to form a decent stereo image, it's moved over the background a much greater distance. Plus, the background may be moving in the wrong direction relative to the subject.

Theoretically, if you could arrange things so that the subject aircraft is moving aft relative to the camera position just a bit faster than the ground is sliding by (also in the aft direction, obviously), you could make it work. But only if the subject aircraft is at the same time absolutely stable in its flight attitude (roll, yaw, pitch).

Oct 29, 2014 at 02:32 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3978 #16 · p.3978 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I'll leave you with one more aerial abstract tonight. Home on the airlines tomorrow.

Oct 29, 2014 at 02:38 AM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.3978 #17 · p.3978 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Not my photo obviously, but a cool look i thought from a target..

Glenn

Oct 29, 2014 at 03:01 AM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.3978 #18 · p.3978 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Can barely spy the shooter in the rear seat...

Glenn

Oct 29, 2014 at 03:02 AM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.3978 #19 · p.3978 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Keith Davis + Wayne Roberts..

Glenn

Oct 29, 2014 at 03:04 AM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.3978 #20 · p.3978 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

My buddy Skip and Andrew circling waiting for Berts arrival...

Oct 29, 2014 at 03:33 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password