Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3967      
       3969              4376       4377       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

MMcGrath
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3968 #1 · p.3968 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

gerov wrote:
Mark,
I'm assuming you used your 10 stop ND again for this. Would you mind telling me which ND you use, and how often you use it? I have a Heliopan vari-ND and have found that at the higher settings, I get an X pattern in the image due to the use of two polarizers in the filter.

Would appreciate your thoughts/comments.

Thanks,
Gero

Gero,

That shot is just a standard long exposure night shot, maybe around 20 secs exposure. Got lucky with the timing.

I use a BW 10 stop ND filter. Since I got it, only had the opportunity to use it once or twice. Hope to use it more in the future.

Mark

Nov 08, 2013 at 08:11 AM
nickjohnson
• • •
p.3968 #2 · p.3968 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:

Today's assignment was a challenge. A beautiful home, around 1M TT&L, very monochromatic and very, very difficult to reproduce accurately. I shot it for 12 hours, and I've been experimenting in post process for about five more. Not sure I have it where I want it yet. I'm tapped so I'll revisit it in the am, before I return to the project for a few last captures.

Jim fabulous and many thanks for a glimpse into your working life. FWIW I appreciate the non aviation work shown on this thread just as much as the aeroplanes.
As for these interiors, I for one can easily see where all the time went. The first one in particular looks like an absolute bear to get looking right.

Nov 08, 2013 at 10:09 AM
futurshox
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3968 #3 · p.3968 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Uh Jim, what is an HD-60? I am guessing it is expensive... Or are we talking helicopters?

Those interiors look fab, and yes that first one looks like a challenge.

Do people actually ever live in those pristine conditions? I know they/you will have cleaned up for the photo shoot but don't people make messes?! Those houses never look lived in.

Nov 08, 2013 at 12:00 PM
gerov
• • • • •
p.3968 #4 · p.3968 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jo,
that there HD-60 is otherwise known as a Blackhawk

Gero

Nov 08, 2013 at 12:18 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3968 #5 · p.3968 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Good Morning Everyone!

Thank you! Interiors, commercial or residential, are subjects that lots of people try to shoot, but they are so technically demanding that few actually capture them the way they should be captured. While demanding and challenging, those are markets that a photographer can really stand out from the throngs of competition if they dedicate themselves to perfecting their technique.

The Hasselblad H5D60, 60 Meg capture Blad. I don't think we need it, although I'm sure it's a wonderful piece of equipment. The D800's should be just fine, and with an aircraft this size, I don't think the 17 TS will be necessary, so it can be an all Nikon project. I'm thinking that I may get round out my Nikon TS lens collection with the 45 and the 90 though.

I don't know anyone at Blad these days and from what I heard, no one really connected with them at ISAP 2013, which is odd, given they were a sponsor. Had any of you shot with one and been blown away I would probably take a more serious look at the option, always loved my vintage Hasselblads.

Nov 08, 2013 at 01:55 PM
futurshox
• • • •
p.3968 #6 · p.3968 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Righto, so it's a helicopter _and_ a camera!

Nov 08, 2013 at 02:18 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.3968 #7 · p.3968 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

(Spoken like the Geico Camel ad...it's a US advertisement.) What weekend is it? What weekend is it? Hey Mike Mike Mike Mike...what weekend is it? Come on you know it! It's Veteran's Weekend. Woot Woot!!!

Nov 08, 2013 at 02:46 PM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.3968 #8 · p.3968 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Good Morning Everyone!

Thank you! Interiors, commercial or residential, are subjects that lots of people try to shoot, but they are so technically demanding that few actually capture them the way they should be captured. While demanding and challenging, those are markets that a photographer can really stand out from the throngs of competition if they dedicate themselves to perfecting their technique.

The Hasselblad H5D60, 60 Meg capture Blad. I don't think we need it, although I'm sure it's a wonderful piece of equipment. The D800's should be just fine, and with an aircraft this size, I don't think the 17 TS
...Show more

I've communicated with a pro shooter out of Chicago (Jeff Schewe) and he tells me that after trying the H series Hasselblads, he believes Phase One is leading the pack in medium format digital platforms. It is his opinion that Hasselblad has lost it root leadership and is trying to sit on its historic laurels. He feels they no longer produce the high quality equipment that Victor made famous. I've played with the Phase One system and it sure has the look and feel of ultra high quality. Their real ace in the hole is the sensor back. Definitely cutting edge technology. Their IQ280 offers 80 megapixel captures; however, it will cost you over $40K for just the back. Money being no object, I'd think that the Phase One IQ280 back coupled with the ALPA FPS platform would be the ticket for your architectural and aircraft interior work. The ALPA FPS system allows the use of nearly any lens made. Again, not a cheap arrangement, but if your client offers that he/she could 'absorb' that cost, you'd be set. While certainly out of my league, here are a few links to whet your whistle

http://www.phaseone.com/en/Camera-Systems/IQ2-Series/IQ2-Features.aspx

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/cameras/the_alpa_fps_is_it_destined_to_be_one_of_the_few_cameras_that_endure.shtml

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/the_new_alpa_12_fps.shtml

Nov 08, 2013 at 03:15 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3968 #9 · p.3968 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

The Hasselblad guys at ISAP were pleasant enough, but they did almost nothing to promote the brand. No one AFAIK was given a camera to shoot with on the field trips: there was no loaner gear and the reps were busy shooting with the cameras they brought, themselves. I wonder what they thought they were doing? Did they expect us all just to swoon in the presence of greatness?

That, and the camera I held, briefly, did not look or feel like a $40K piece of kit. Whether it will deliver the goods is another question, one that I can't answer.

JWilsonphoto wrote:
I don't know anyone at Blad these days and from what I heard, no one really connected with them at ISAP 2013, which is odd, given they were a sponsor. Had any of you shot with one and been blown away I would probably take a more serious look at the option, always loved my vintage Hasselblads.

Nov 08, 2013 at 04:26 PM
astrobrian
• • •
p.3968 #10 · p.3968 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Now that I've complied with the full disclosure clause, who is up for assisting on this shoot?

Currently without any daily obligations to get in the way, and I only live few hours drive away

The 20 hour days sounds a little bit like what it was like covering the last 36 hours of a shuttle countdown. Granted that was a lot of hurry up and wait, not likely the case with a big shoot like yours but sounds fun.

Nov 08, 2013 at 04:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

astrobrian
• • •
p.3968 #11 · p.3968 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Thank you! Interiors, commercial or residential, are subjects that lots of people try to shoot, but they are so technically demanding that few actually capture them the way they should be captured.
They are indeed that Jim. There are things I have learned in a few shoots I did, that I would never have noticed before on interior shoots that now I find myself looking for on any shots I see. Funny how that works out with the ever expanding knowledge gained in our daily lives.

Nov 08, 2013 at 04:51 PM
astrobrian
• • •
p.3968 #12 · p.3968 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Had the privilege of capturing a ride flight for a veteran reunited with his ship. Gentlemen in white had flown the exact Huey that STARFlight now (seen on the left) uses for fire suppression and rescue. The last time he saw it was after a crash landing where the main rotor chopped the tail boom. He was amazed that it was not scrapped.

Nov 08, 2013 at 04:58 PM
Leo Hursh
• • •
p.3968 #13 · p.3968 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

We had a unusual visitor show up at the local strip last week. I had a great time chatting with one of the pilots (who is a photographer as well). I hope to see them a few more times when they stop by.

Citation II...

Nov 08, 2013 at 05:10 PM
Leo Hursh
• • •
p.3968 #14 · p.3968 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Monochrome Patience...

Nov 08, 2013 at 05:12 PM
gerov
• • • • •
p.3968 #15 · p.3968 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

futurshox wrote:
Righto, so it's a helicopter _and_ a camera!

Well, Jim left out that little '5' in his first post, so my google search was correct for the parameters, just not what Jim was referring to

Nov 08, 2013 at 05:21 PM
futurshox
• • • •
p.3968 #16 · p.3968 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Well, they're both expensive, so I guess that part was right

Nov 08, 2013 at 08:13 PM
ELinder
• • •
p.3968 #17 · p.3968 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

This nose by any other name would smell just as sweet.

Erich

with apologies to the bard

Nov 08, 2013 at 09:19 PM
Leo Hursh
• • •
p.3968 #18 · p.3968 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Ryan Harris wrote:
I've posted this photo before, but I realized that it was compressed and just generally of terrible quality. This image was tack sharp right out of the camera with little to no sharpening needed, so seeing the fuzzy mess that was posted was very disappointing. I just re-edited it and uploaded with no compression. Hope it looks better this time!

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2819/10738016455_b467fbf1f1_o.jpg

Original post:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s156/invader696/Hooks%202008/IMG_7618.jpg~original

Ryan, the new posting works much better. Great shot!

Nov 09, 2013 at 12:36 AM
Leo Hursh
• • •
p.3968 #19 · p.3968 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Great shots as usual guys and gal!

Nov 09, 2013 at 12:37 AM
Leo Hursh
• • •
p.3968 #20 · p.3968 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I asked the pilot of the Citation II to hold it low on take-off... and then I waited in the rain as he taxied out and took off. All I had was my 70-200 + 1.4x, so I made it work as best as I could.

It's all downhill from here...

Nov 09, 2013 at 12:40 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password