Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3966      
       3968              4303       4304       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

astrobrian
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3967 #1 · p.3967 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Congrats on the A330 Jim, sounds like a fun 3 days of shooting.

Edit: TOPP-my own slow shutter envelope expansion.

Nov 07, 2013 at 03:57 AM
Wrei
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3967 #2 · p.3967 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Fast and furious...I couldn't get a sharp one of Jan when he was in Temple.

This is as close as I got, and he was straight and level...

Nov 07, 2013 at 05:18 AM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.3967 #3 · p.3967 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Time to Go.

Nov 07, 2013 at 05:10 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.3967 #4 · p.3967 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

How low can you go?

Nov 07, 2013 at 05:11 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3967 #5 · p.3967 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Black Diamonds In The Rough...

Nov 07, 2013 at 10:53 PM
ELinder
• •
p.3967 #6 · p.3967 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I'd be interested in hearing what you all consider to be your most useful plugins are for image processing.

For Aperture I use Photomatix HDR and PTLens, while my Photoshop and Lightroom are basically stock.

Erich

Nov 08, 2013 at 12:12 AM
gerov
• • • • •
p.3967 #7 · p.3967 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

MMcGrath wrote:

Time to Go.

http://www.markmcgrath.co.uk/img/s5/v118/p908933988-5.jpg

Mark,
I'm assuming you used your 10 stop ND again for this. Would you mind telling me which ND you use, and how often you use it? I have a Heliopan vari-ND and have found that at the higher settings, I get an X pattern in the image due to the use of two polarizers in the filter.

Would appreciate your thoughts/comments.

Thanks,
Gero

Nov 08, 2013 at 02:38 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3967 #8 · p.3967 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

ELinder wrote:
I'd be interested in hearing what you all consider to be your most useful plugins are for image processing.

For Aperture I use Photomatix HDR and PTLens, while my Photoshop and Lightroom are basically stock.

Erich

Nik Suite (now distributed by Google)

Viveza, Silver Effex, Color Effex, HDR, DFine... I like 'em!

Nov 08, 2013 at 03:02 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3967 #9 · p.3967 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks Erich! There's no shortage of folks who think they would like to "carry my gear", but there are far fewer that would have much interest in navigating my average day The A330 for instance will be three to four evenings, 8-10 hours of actual shooting, but being available for four to five additional hours each of those days. In addition to shooting, I'll be coordinating with designers and a team of stylists from NY that have been hired to select and purchase dozens of items, and alternate items that will be used to style and accessorize the various areas of the aircraft that we will be shooting. Based upon years of these assignments, I would guess that we'll be putting in three to four 20 hour days in a row, shooting all night every night. Heck, I'm exhausted just describing it.

Now that I've complied with the full disclosure clause, who is up for assisting on this shoot?

Nov 08, 2013 at 03:07 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3967 #10 · p.3967 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I'll ditto what Jay said as far as tools.

Nov 08, 2013 at 03:08 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3967 #11 · p.3967 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Just sent a note to my favorite warranty guy at Lexar. Two more CF cards, a 100X and a 600X failed this week. Both failed from different camera bodies, and both failed after recording accurately, downloading accurately, then becoming corrupt when put back in the camera for the next assignment. The rest of the riddle is that the cards were shot in different bodies, different brands even, downloaded using different card readers, into different Mac's. Definitely a job for CSI NY!

Any guesses from the brain trust? That makes six cards, all Lexars, in the last four months, that have gone toes up.

Nov 08, 2013 at 03:17 AM
ELinder
• •
p.3967 #12 · p.3967 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Careful there Jim, I'll bet you'd still get a few volunteers if you really needed them.

I'll look into the Nik Suite and see if they' fit my work style.

Gero, I have a Tiffen 2-8 stop variable ND filter, but the only times I've gotten the kind of effect you describe I had actually turned it past where the markings were for the useful range.

Erich

Nov 08, 2013 at 03:18 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3967 #13 · p.3967 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Haven't seen that Gero, but my Genus variable ND has a weird effect where it looks out of focus through the viewfinder. The images aren't out of focus, but it's a very disconcerting phenomenon. Doesn't really matter so much, because the images are probably being recorded onto corrupt Lexar CF cards.............Sheesh!! Where are my antacid tablets?!!

Nov 08, 2013 at 03:23 AM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.3967 #14 · p.3967 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

+1 on the Nik tooks Erich...I use at least one of them on nearly eveey image.

Glenn

Nov 08, 2013 at 03:24 AM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.3967 #15 · p.3967 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Thanks Erich! There's no shortage of folks who think they would like to "carry my gear", but there are far fewer that would have much interest in navigating my average day The A330 for instance will be three to four evenings, 8-10 hours of actual shooting, but being available for four to five additional hours each of those days. In addition to shooting, I'll be coordinating with designers and a team of stylists from NY that have been hired to select and purchase dozens of items, and alternate items that will be used to style and accessorize the various
...Show more

Frankly, an opportunity to be a "step and fetch it" for a consummate pro like Jim makes the long, hard hours seem like a bargain. I could care less about the aircraft (I don't generally like Airbus) or trying to use such an experience as a springboard to similar work. I see it as a unique chance to watch an artist working in his/her element. For me, it would be the same as assisting Karsh, AA, Heisler, McNally, etc...

Nov 08, 2013 at 04:49 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3967 #16 · p.3967 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

You're very kind Jeff, I'm honored and humbled that you feel that way. Tall company you've placed me in, not sure I'm worthy, but I'll take it my friend.

Nov 08, 2013 at 06:27 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3967 #17 · p.3967 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Thanks Erich! There's no shortage of folks who think they would like to "carry my gear", but there are far fewer that would have much interest in navigating my average day The A330 for instance will be three to four evenings, 8-10 hours of actual shooting, but being available for four to five additional hours each of those days. In addition to shooting, I'll be coordinating with designers and a team of stylists from NY that have been hired to select and purchase dozens of items, and alternate items that will be used to style and accessorize the various
...Show more

What time do we start?

For the record, most of the names Jeff laid out are all far too old or dead to be of much help to you!

Nov 08, 2013 at 06:37 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3967 #18 · p.3967 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Au Contraire, those names and techniques will give photographers something to shoot for, for a long time to come. Look at my in depth study of Josef just last year.How satisfying it was to study him, then get within a country mile of his product. I'm sure someone will come up with Apps or plug ins some time soon so one can capture an image with their iPhone whatever, double click Karsh and wallah! Come to think of it, probably exactly why Jeff felt the need to return to our roots in cellulos based media.

Today's assignment was a challenge. A beautiful home, around 1M TT&L, very monochromatic and very, very difficult to reproduce accurately. I shot it for 12 hours, and I've been experimenting in post process for about five more. Not sure I have it where I want it yet. I'm tapped so I'll revisit it in the am, before I return to the project for a few last captures.

Nov 08, 2013 at 06:57 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3967 #19 · p.3967 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

BTW, grateful again to Zim, the 17TS saved the day on a half dozen captures today. What a piece of glass, step it up Nikon...............

Interesting question I was asked re: the next two transports I'll shoot......."If you feel that you need an HD-60, we can absorb that....." What?.......Uh.......What!!!

Nov 08, 2013 at 07:02 AM
Ryan Harris

p.3967 #20 · p.3967 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I've posted this photo before, but I realized that it was compressed and just generally of terrible quality. This image was tack sharp right out of the camera with little to no sharpening needed, so seeing the fuzzy mess that was posted was very disappointing. I just re-edited it and uploaded with no compression. Hope it looks better this time!

Original post:

~original[/IMG]

Nov 08, 2013 at 07:26 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password